Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 2017 12:56 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
We are excited to announce the immediate availability of PayPal as a payment gateway for our MAL Supporter plan. Since its release, we have heard a continuous stream of requests for this payment option. After much effort and planning, it's now ready for your use.

With the numerous forum posts and private messages asking specifically for PayPal to be added, we hope this will enable more of our generous community to support MAL's continued development. I always feel a little boost of encouragement when I see custom forum titles in threads or the Supporter badges on profiles.

Thank you for your continued support! And please let us know if you run into any issues with the new functionality.
KinetaMay 24, 2017 1:04 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 24, 2017 1:03 AM

Jan 2009
nice for people that really wanted this in order to financially support the site
May 24, 2017 1:11 AM

Oct 2014
YEAH, for people with monies and all.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 24, 2017 2:02 AM

Sep 2012
Oh finally. Nice to see something important being implemented.
May 24, 2017 2:08 AM

Aug 2012
ayy nice. has anyone tried it yet? i want to use my remaining balance in paypal. might as well use it in here.

But you'll still take damage!
May 24, 2017 2:16 AM
Dec 2012
Nice I've been waiting for this.
May 24, 2017 2:30 AM
Jul 2010
Oh my. I can get rid of this quote in my signature I've had for almost a year, finally.
But I do know that only 16 characters are allowed.
Welp, I can make another meme, perhaps? Shall see. :>
May 24, 2017 2:37 AM
♡ jeno

Apr 2013
finallyyy. was waiting for this!
hf with more money m8s

deliveries here please
forum set by me

+card permits

May 24, 2017 3:50 AM

Jan 2016
finally

But I get the following message:

This payment is not possible.
Your PayPal account is registered in a country where automatic payments are not allowed. Please go back to the dealer and choose a different payment method.
May 24, 2017 4:08 AM
Nov 2016
If I didn't already give away my cc info I'd be celebrating, oh well, still pretty cool =)

May 24, 2017 4:42 AM

Dec 2015
About time. Thx
May 24, 2017 5:46 AM

May 2015
Glad Paypal is finally added. However, I tried to suscribe but Paypal only gives me the option to pay using a credit card (which I don't have) while I have enough money deposited in my Paypal account :/
May 24, 2017 5:52 AM

Jun 2015
maku21 said:
ayy nice. has anyone tried it yet? i want to use my remaining balance in paypal. might as well use it in here.

Yup! I just bought the Annual Plan.
May 24, 2017 5:55 AM

Aug 2012
Rutger555 said:
maku21 said:

how much is the paypal charge?

May 24, 2017 5:57 AM

Jun 2015
maku21 said:
Rutger555 said:

$29,99 USD/year (it's automatically renewed)
May 24, 2017 6:00 AM

Aug 2012
Rutger555 said:
maku21 said:

i mean the paypal charge. i know the price of the yearly plan.
does that mean there's no extra charges from paypal?
thanks for the answer

May 24, 2017 6:07 AM

Jun 2015
maku21 said:
Rutger555 said:

thanks for the answer

Ooh, right. I misunderstood what you meant!

The charges appear to be $0.
It's my first time setting up a Automatic Payment with PayPal, so I won't know until they wire it off my bank. There was no mention of additional charges in the overview page when I activated the plan, so I guess the fee is already included in the price?
May 24, 2017 6:10 AM

Aug 2012
Rutger555 said:
maku21 said:

thanks for the answer

It's my first time setting up a Automatic Payment with PayPal, so I won't know until they wire it off my bank. There was no mention of additional charges in the overview page when I activated the plan, so I guess the fee is already included in the price?

oh, that's good then, i hope there's no extra charges coz i have limited balance for now lol. thanks bro :D

May 24, 2017 6:18 AM

Jun 2015
maku21 said:
Rutger555 said:

oh, that's good then, i hope there's no extra charges coz i have limited balance for now lol. thanks bro :D

You're welcome!
May 24, 2017 6:34 AM

Apr 2015
Ayyy I pmed a mod a while ago about it and its finally here. Guess what I did lol INSTA buy.

Dat title XD
May 24, 2017 6:35 AM
Meh

Apr 2016
Good to know, I think I'll probably get the Monthly Plan.

May 24, 2017 8:06 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
well I was one of those asking for PP so had to go ahead and get it....

weird thing #1. When selecting PayPal as payment method it took me to the Japanese site, sadly I can't read Japanese at all.....

The Note says : "The paypal payment user is required to cancel the MAL Supporter before switching the plan." (FAQ - About Paypal Payment)
but there's no satisfactory explanation for this on the FAQ.
SheyCroixMay 24, 2017 8:32 AM

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 24, 2017 9:16 AM

Apr 2015
Ah that's great. PayPal is so much more convenient for me.

By the way, are there any plans to allow gifting MAL supporter plans to other users? Such a feature would be great for giving meaningful rewards in club competitions or gifts to close MAL friends and would also allow members to further support the site.
May 24, 2017 9:35 AM

Jul 2014
Rutger555 said:
maku21 said:

You're welcome!

In case none else replied.
PayPal has their own exange rate and it's slightly higher as far as I know.

Everything can break, 
but the heart can break into a thousand pieces.

May 24, 2017 9:49 AM

Dec 2015
People asking about the PayPal fees (charges): Afaik the person receiving the money is paying them. (Meaning MAL gets less than you pay them.) They'd have to calculate this into their prices and I guess MAL already did that. (They are okay with getting a little bit less money - instead of making the price for PayPal users higher - which would anger some users ... maybe resulting in less people buying and meaning a even lower return as without higher price.)

I'll check this out later trying to subscribe monthly. I saw someone above mentioned PayPal requested a credit card. I am from Germany and we are mainly using bank transfers and a method where the company receiving the money from your bank account can "request" it from your bank (but you can still get if someone tried fraud/illegally to get money from you). This is a risk - for the company getting the money from your bank account (they'd have to pay fees if you requested your money back). The risk is with PayPal (since they are getting the money from you and then forwarding it to MAL). Might be a reason why sometimes PayPal request a credit card (maybe there is less risk/other procedures).

Haven't heard of much cases ... but I think I encountered it once myself. (Not often ...) Might also be some security settings with the end receiver (to which PayPal forwards the money - in this case MAL). And I think it often happens with subscription-like models where PayPal uses subscription (instead of you "buying" a 1-time payment every month where you'd have to login again and confirm it once every month).
May 24, 2017 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, yes, YES!

I've wanted to become a MAL Supporter ever since I came back to the website, but couldn't due to the current/original payment options, but now that there is PayPal...I'm one happy lil camper! :D

Thank you for this, MAL people! It's really and truly appreciated!! ❤︎
May 24, 2017 11:20 AM

Jul 2009
I'm fine using a credit card, but glad to see this helped a lot of people!
May 24, 2017 11:33 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Thanks to those that have continued to support the website! Glad they have a feature that will be useful for them.
May 24, 2017 11:54 AM
Jul 2016
This is awesome for PayPal users nice to have this implemented for people who do use PayPal and PayPal balances like me! :)
May 24, 2017 12:09 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Aki said:
Your PayPal account is registered in a country where automatic payments are not allowed. Please go back to the dealer and choose a different payment method.
Seems to be on PayPal's side and not ours. Our team is contacting them to find out more.

Roy said:
However, I tried to suscribe but Paypal only gives me the option to pay using a credit card (which I don't have) while I have enough money deposited in my Paypal account :/
Hmm. I think for recurring payments, like MAL's, PayPal likes to have a connected funding source (like a bank account or credit card) that it uses to draw money from if your PayPal balance runs low. This is different from a single payment. It won't actually use your bank/credit card if your balance never runs low though.

SheyCroix said:
When selecting PayPal as payment method it took me to the Japanese site, sadly I can't read Japanese at all.....
Weird. On the bottom right, you can switch to English. I'll see if we can't get this defaulted to English though.

SheyCroix said:
The Note says : "The paypal payment user is required to cancel the MAL Supporter before switching the plan." (FAQ - About Paypal Payment)
I'm sorry, where do you see the text you quoted? I can't find it. On the FAQ, under "How can I change my payment method?", it says
In order to change your payment method you must first cancel your MAL Supporter subscription, and then sign up to be a MAL Supporter again with your preferred payment method.
All features and customized settings will remain available for 14 days after you cancel your subscription.
Is this what you were looking for?

Forgotten_Memo said:
By the way, are there any plans to allow gifting MAL supporter plans to other users?
I agree that this would be a nice feature, but we don't have definitive plans for it yet. If the community also agrees, I hope we'll see requests for it as we did with the PayPal option.
May 24, 2017 12:14 PM

Oct 2010
Thank you so much MAL!

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

May 24, 2017 12:37 PM

Dec 2015
I can confirm that it took me too the Japanese language version of PayPal as well - I used the mentioned button to switch to English - which works fine. This was while I had been logged out. After accessing the page I logged in. Then it switched to my local language (German).

The problem Aki and Roy encountered might be the same. I had the same problem as Aki. (I guess she translated the PayPal message into English so this is no "official" English message from PayPal since it showed the message in our language - German.)

From what I have found with Google this also is related to not having a credit card added to the account.

Usually in Germany PayPal can just get the money directly from our bank accounts. For subscriptions with some companies this was not a problem. For 1-time (single) payments as well. Country for single payments does not matter.

I think with Germany <-> [some other countries] and subscriptions PayPal is making trouble if there is no credit card registered with the PayPal account. But I remember I used this with some other international (= not in Germany) company that uses English as main language - where the subscription worked without having a credit card registered with PayPal. Maybe it is related to Europe (those bigger companies I guess had an some branche office in Europe.)

In Germany it works like this: You can do a bank transfer manually - then you can't get your money back (if the other person you sent it to isn't nice and sends it back themselves ... you could sue them to make them pay you back if there was a mistake and you paid too much).

The other main thing used is "Lastschrift" (direct debit or other translations I don't know which English term describes it best): You "allow" the company to directly "draw" (similar to credit card) from your bank account. Fraud can happen if some companies fake data and somehow get your bank account number and try getting money from there (when you did not even have it allowed). That's why there is some security ... you have a few weeks to get it back. (You don't even need to give a reason.) The other companies needs to pay a fee then - for those back-transaction. And of course they don't have the money anymore.

Side-effect of this: You could have bought for something where you told the other party that they are allowed to "draw" money from your bank account (this is only usually between you and the other party and the bank does not know about it) but then still trying to get it back. That is the risk and I guess for certain combinations PayPal does not allow this. Even if you had a lot of other transactions in the past where you did not cause trouble for PayPal. (Similar: If PayPal pays the next monthly fee to MAL in a subscription and then trying to get it from you and you forgot about it and don't have enough money on your bank account the bank will automatically transfer it back to you resulting in a fee for PayPal.) A bit complicated if you country usually does not use systems like this but it works fine with Germany and fraud is easily tracked (and then punished by penal law) and if people regularly check their accounts it is not a problem.
May 24, 2017 12:47 PM

May 2015
Welp, I tried registering my bank account to my paypal.. will see in a few days if that'll fix it. But I've seen that Paypal doesn't ask for a credit card when there is no automatic renewal as I tested it on another site I used in the past which has premium features but doesn't renew automatically.

Which leads me to ask, isn't there a possibility to sign up for a fixed period of time without activating the automatic renewal? I mean, I understand that it can be cancelled at any time but it's still a problem if you don't have a bank account or credit card linked to Paypal.
May 24, 2017 12:57 PM

Jun 2014
Glad to hear that you have finally added Paypal as a payment option!

Unfortunately, I no longer have any interest in supporting this site. Sorry.

May 24, 2017 1:08 PM
꧁ marr

Sep 2014
In some countries (Like Germany, as I read), but also in Netherlands, people just don't use creditcards, or just some people do if they travel to America or something a lot. But the "commonfolk" usually don't have them.

Is there a way for such users to become a supporter anyway? Like paying via the mail method, like I do with other sites that use paypal and force me to connect a creditcard I don't have. Then in the note section you could leave your username and such?

LIFE IS CRAZY AND SO ARE YOU
♫♫♫

May 24, 2017 1:40 PM

Feb 2015
Finally, now I can support my favorite website.
May 24, 2017 1:43 PM

Jul 2016
That's a really helpful for feature and an accomplishment for this website. I have heard of this being in the works for a while and I congratulate MAL as a community for making this possible!
May 24, 2017 5:11 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Kineta said:
SheyCroix said:

I'm sorry, where do you see the text you quoted? I can't find it. On the FAQ, under "How can I change my payment method?", it says
In order to change your payment method you must first cancel your MAL Supporter subscription, and then sign up to be a MAL Supporter again with your preferred payment method.
All features and customized settings will remain available for 14 days after you cancel your subscription.
Is this what you were looking for?

I saw that before (if I'm remembering correctly) the final step to agree and pay for the plan. It's on red there. It wasn't exactly what's in the FAQ... I wondered if that note was in reference to the user starting new or from those probably changing from using their credit card to PayPal... or just something else. Most likely I got confused with the wording used.

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 24, 2017 7:51 PM

Feb 2016
Nice update. Now everyone who was solely waiting for PayPal specifically can hop on board.

Think I'll switch my payment method over to PayPal so I can just update my card on there and not worry about it on here as well.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
May 24, 2017 8:16 PM

Jan 2016
Luthandorius said:

I had the same problem as Aki. (I guess she translated the PayPal message into English so this is no "official" English message from PayPal since it showed the message in our language - German.)

that's right
May 24, 2017 8:58 PM

Sep 2016
Not a bad start.

Please consider also adding Bitcoin, CashU, etc... I've deactivated my credit card long time ago and switched to using bitcoin you know more privacy lol.
May 25, 2017 7:30 AM

May 2016
Oh boi. We gunna have more familyyyy
May 26, 2017 3:29 PM
Puddi Queen

Oct 2009
Hooray! Was finally able to support this site, thanks and good luck!
May 27, 2017 9:09 AM

Dec 2014
i want to support to but they dislike europeans for some reason so i live in the wrong country to spend them my money :D
May 27, 2017 11:12 AM

May 2017
Some day when I have moneys i will come back and support the site
Cool feature
May 28, 2017 12:33 PM

Feb 2015
Well now it is in place, all I need is the $$$

:(

NEET life is hard... :(
May 28, 2017 9:32 PM

Apr 2014
Even if PayPal is added I won't buy it. It doesn't worth the payment.
Because it's just a waste of money to buy few additional features.
I guess It's good for those who like to get their money for a tiny upgrades.
Haters always gonna hate.
May 29, 2017 5:41 AM

Jun 2016
Good work. Btw how about Bitcoin? Does it support as well? ^^
May 29, 2017 3:20 PM

Jun 2016
I approve.

Hopefully a lot of people are going to use this so i can continue to apply the ban hammer to tracking and ads without worrying. I'd wish more sites would enable users to simply pay as an alternative to ads.

Going to continue to be a supporter! :)
May 29, 2017 3:23 PM

Jan 2017
now everybody will have 20 waifu husbando but me
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.