Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2017 6:46 PM

Jan 2016
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
So Rando is dead and I like how they referenced back to the original Rando, although this does the question of whether or not the adult Ryoma is the Ryoma from the original manga or simply a Ryoma from another universe where Rando is a mad scientist who tried to take over the world. In the original manga, Ryoma fuses with the Shin Getter Robo, which is implied to have evolved into the Getter Emperor. It's possible that this Ryoma somehow became unfused upon moving between universes, but does this mean that adult Ryoma was in the other universes as well? Does he still travel with it even though he has unfused with it? Also, Go, Tahir, and Gai all fused with the Shin Getter, so is it possible that they exist in this world as well?

The Musashi isn't the real Musashi thing from last chapter is better explained in this chapter. The only question is, if Musashi died soon after birth, then why do the towns people in chapter 3 recognize him but still believe him to be dead? Did they fake his death? Did he die and get replaced again? Does Ritsuko Saotome have a supply of cloned Reis Musashi's in his basement?

Also:

This is simultaneously extremely awesome and extremely terrifying.
"I'm gonna move it today! The mountain! The galaxy! Listen to my song!"
-Nekki Basara, Macross 7
May 23, 2017 1:33 AM

Aug 2014
Retro_Chocolate said:

So Rando is dead and I like how they referenced back to the original Rando, although this does the question of whether or not the adult Ryoma is the Ryoma from the original manga or simply a Ryoma from another universe where Rando is a mad scientist who tried to take over the world. In the original manga, Ryoma fuses with the Shin Getter Robo, which is implied to have evolved into the Getter Emperor.

Now this is interesting, because you reminded me that we never had a clear answer on what was the Emperor, if Shin Getter fused with Mars, Getter Dragon evolved underground or somehow both of them (I always saw Dragon as the most plausible, but I also think that the Emperor is an unavoidable future for now, so there always be a Getter capable of evolving into it).

Retro_Chocolate said:

It's possible that this Ryoma somehow became unfused upon moving between universes, but does this mean that adult Ryoma was in the other universes as well? Does he still travel with it even though he has unfused with it? Also, Go, Tahir, and Gai all fused with the Shin Getter, so is it possible that they exist in this world as well?

About Ryoma, he brings a loooot of questions: first, is he from the original timeline? If that's the case, all your questions are the important ones.
Second: why/how did he crossed dimensions? Only the Emperor /and maybe the devolutionary bodies?) seems capable of that, does that imply that Ryoma is an envoy of the Emperor itself?
Also... what does he want? What he's planning?
Humans couldn't (or at least didin't, in the original manga) resist the temptation of the Getter Rays, and became crazy space terrorist following the lead of the Emperor to destroy everything and return to nothing, and Ryoma kind of accepted it too when he piloted Shin Getter, evolved with it and landed on Mars at the end of Go.
What I'm saying is that Ryoma should be siding with the Emperor, while I'm not sure this Ryoma we're seeing is trying to help it or stop it. I'm curious about that, and until he's clear what he's planning I'm not trusting him.
I mean, he killed Rando and here he was just a normal scientist/politician, I can see at least a sparkle of that Getter insanity in him.
And if he's not from the original universe, then he's even more suspicious.

Retro_Chocolate said:

The Musashi isn't the real Musashi thing from last chapter is better explained in this chapter. The only question is, if Musashi died soon after birth, then why do the towns people in chapter 3 recognize him but still believe him to be dead? Did they fake his death? Did he die and get replaced again? Does Ritsuko Saotome have a supply of cloned Reis Musashi's in his basement?

Oh you're right, nice catch. It really went over my head that they said Musashi died shortly after birth but people in his life seems to have known him for a long time.
That's certainly a point to remember for the future.
Now that I think about it, the Emperor had a lot of clones of Musashi (an possibly other Getter pilots) and was capable of producing more of them, and if the Emperor is already here... maybe it has something to do with that?
That would also imply that Saotome is probably already gone mad due to the Getter Rays influence... the more I think about it, the more terrifying the possibilities become.

Retro_Chocolate said:

Also:

This is simultaneously extremely awesome and extremely terrifying.

I love it.
That pure Getter-style vibe of "it's awesome but it's scary af", I'm loving it.
Also, damn things escalated quickly, we have the friggin Emperor already on Earth, I can't quite describe how hyped I am for this manga now.

Also, I'm really really sorry for the walltext, I hope it doesn't bother you. It's just that it's kinda hard to find people to talk about Getter Robo online (at least for me), especially Devolution, so I'm glad I found this discussion here on MAL, even if it's just the two of us for now.
May 23, 2017 8:38 AM

Jan 2016
LeloThePGG said:

Now this is interesting, because you reminded me that we never had a clear answer on what was the Emperor, if Shin Getter fused with Mars, Getter Dragon evolved underground or somehow both of them (I always saw Dragon as the most plausible, but I also think that the Emperor is an unavoidable future for now, so there always be a Getter capable of evolving into it).

Personally I always saw the Shin fused with Mars as the most plausible for 2 reasons:
1. In Shin Getter Robo, it is specifically stated that the Getter Emperor has Ryoma's voice. Obviously this is probably partly for dramatic reasons (implying that Ryoma will be the one to bring this destruction), but it's also worth noting that Ryoma fused with the Shin, not the Dragon.
2. We also see the Getter Saint Dragon in Shin Getter Robo. Not only do we see it, the future that Ryoma is in very heavily resembles the destroyed city we see in the last few pages of Arc, which is also the same time that the Shin Getter Dragon finally awakens. Therefore, I always assumed that the Shin Getter Dragon became the Getter Saint Dragon and something else must have become the emperor. It's also worth noting that the Shin Getter fused with Mars probably became something, so the Emperor seems to be the most logical thing for it to become.
Of course, it's entirely possible that the Getter Saint Dragon became the Emperor later, or that Shin Getter turned into something else and then fused with Getter Saint Dragon to become emperor.

LeloThePGG said:

About Ryoma, he brings a loooot of questions: first, is he from the original timeline? If that's the case, all your questions are the important ones.
Second: why/how did he crossed dimensions? Only the Emperor /and maybe the devolutionary bodies?) seems capable of that, does that imply that Ryoma is an envoy of the Emperor itself?
Also... what does he want? What he's planning?
Humans couldn't (or at least didin't, in the original manga) resist the temptation of the Getter Rays, and became crazy space terrorist following the lead of the Emperor to destroy everything and return to nothing, and Ryoma kind of accepted it too when he piloted Shin Getter, evolved with it and landed on Mars at the end of Go.
What I'm saying is that Ryoma should be siding with the Emperor, while I'm not sure this Ryoma we're seeing is trying to help it or stop it. I'm curious about that, and until he's clear what he's planning I'm not trusting him.
I mean, he killed Rando and here he was just a normal scientist/politician, I can see at least a sparkle of that Getter insanity in him.
And if he's not from the original universe, then he's even more suspicious.

I really don't think he ever joined the Getter Rays in the original manga until he ended up fused with them, and even then you could argue that this would have forced him to join the Getter even if he opposed it. At the end, the reason they crash the Shin into Mars is to try and stop it from destroying the universe. This clearly doesn't work, but that was their intentions.

As for Ryoma killing Rando, Rando wanted to get the government to start experimenting with Getter Rays. This seems like it would only help destroy the universe faster if he was working with the Getter.

LeloThePGG said:

Also, I'm really really sorry for the walltext, I hope it doesn't bother you. It's just that it's kinda hard to find people to talk about Getter Robo online (at least for me), especially Devolution, so I'm glad I found this discussion here on MAL, even if it's just the two of us for now.

No problem. The more text there is, the more there is to discuss. Really the only other place online where I see discussion about Getter Robo is 4chan's /m/ board, but, well, it's 4chan so it's more shitposting then actual discussion.
-Nekki Basara, Macross 7
May 23, 2017 1:11 PM

Aug 2014
Retro_Chocolate said:

Personally I always saw the Shin fused with Mars as the most plausible for 2 reasons:
1. In Shin Getter Robo, it is specifically stated that the Getter Emperor has Ryoma's voice. Obviously this is probably partly for dramatic reasons (implying that Ryoma will be the one to bring this destruction), but it's also worth noting that Ryoma fused with the Shin, not the Dragon.
2. We also see the Getter Saint Dragon in Shin Getter Robo. Not only do we see it, the future that Ryoma is in very heavily resembles the destroyed city we see in the last few pages of Arc, which is also the same time that the Shin Getter Dragon finally awakens. Therefore, I always assumed that the Shin Getter Dragon became the Getter Saint Dragon and something else must have become the emperor. It's also worth noting that the Shin Getter fused with Mars probably became something, so the Emperor seems to be the most logical thing for it to become.
Of course, it's entirely possible that the Getter Saint Dragon became the Emperor later, or that Shin Getter turned into something else and then fused with Getter Saint Dragon to become emperor.

I always thought that Ryoma's voice in the Emperor was literally Ryoma's, since Getter has that "factory" of clones like with Musashi. But you're right, I didn't put some fact together and for some reason I forgot about Getter Saint Dragon.
I also just re-read the chapter in Arc about Getter Emperor memories and they say that "the will of Getter flew to Mars. There are no memories of Earth after that", so yeah it heavily implied that Emperor is an evolved form of Shin Getter.
That's interesting, I suppose that the terraformed Mars became the first step for the expansion of humans into space, but does that mean that after that Getter englobed the entire planet (and presumably all the people on it)? That's terrifying, and since it's Getter Robo we're talking about, it's probably true lol.

I have trouble remembering something about Getter Saint Dragon tho: it was somehow guarding Earth, right? Was it preventing humans from going into space or am I remembering something wrong? What was its role in the larger scheme of thing concerning the Emperor?

Retro_Chocolate said:

I really don't think he ever joined the Getter Rays in the original manga until he ended up fused with them, and even then you could argue that this would have forced him to join the Getter even if he opposed it. At the end, the reason they crash the Shin into Mars is to try and stop it from destroying the universe. This clearly doesn't work, but that was their intentions.

Oh wait that's why they did it?
I always assumed they accepted Getter in that form and just flew it away from Earth, it seemed to me that at least two of them (putting Ryoma aside for a moment) were totally captured by the Getter Rays and were following their will. I mean, Go was literally talking with Shin Getter and at the end he starts talking like it, saying stuff about life, the universe and everything that exists in the same place and return to the same place; and the monk child was something like Getter Jesus, following the will of the Getter from the very beginning.
I'm not sure Ryoma was completely on board with that plan since he refused to pilot the Getter at first and wanted to destroy it until the last minute, but I always got the impression that everything at the end of Go went just according to Getter's plan (aside from terraforming Mars which imho was just collateral damage turning out good).

Retro_Chocolate said:

As for Ryoma killing Rando, Rando wanted to get the government to start experimenting with Getter Rays. This seems like it would only help destroy the universe faster if he was working with the Getter.

So for now we can assume Ryoma wants to stop the Emperor.
Maybe.
The more I think about it, the more I realize how complicated this story actually is

Retro_Chocolate said:

No problem. The more text there is, the more there is to discuss. Really the only other place online where I see discussion about Getter Robo is 4chan's /m/ board, but, well, it's 4chan so it's more shitposting then actual discussion.

Yeah, tell me about it.
I never expect anything good when I go on 4chan looking for discussions and yet I always end up disappointed.
May 23, 2017 1:54 PM

Jan 2016
LeloThePGG said:

I have trouble remembering something about Getter Saint Dragon tho: it was somehow guarding Earth, right? Was it preventing humans from going into space or am I remembering something wrong? What was its role in the larger scheme of thing concerning the Emperor?

That's probably because it's not explained. The thing shows up in like one chapter and all it does is tell Ryoma that he shouldn't be here and then sends him back. It's one of the things that got cut off when Super Robot Magazine ended.

LeloThePGG said:

Oh wait that's why they did it?
I always assumed they accepted Getter in that form and just flew it away from Earth, it seemed to me that at least two of them (putting Ryoma aside for a moment) were totally captured by the Getter Rays and were following their will. I mean, Go was literally talking with Shin Getter and at the end he starts talking like it, saying stuff about life, the universe and everything that exists in the same place and return to the same place; and the monk child was something like Getter Jesus, following the will of the Getter from the very beginning.
I'm not sure Ryoma was completely on board with that plan since he refused to pilot the Getter at first and wanted to destroy it until the last minute, but I always got the impression that everything at the end of Go went just according to Getter's plan (aside from terraforming Mars which imho was just collateral damage turning out good).

I guess it was just my interpretation. I reread the last bit and it's not really confirmed. After the brief reread I think that it was either Getter's will or a combination of both Getter's will and Ryoma's defiance. Kind of disappoints me, as I kind of liked the idea that they tried to stop the Getter but ended up unintentionally doing Getter's will in the process.

Also, I don't think Tahir was necessarily following Getter's will, nor do I think he had any connection with Getter until the end of go, I think he just understood Getter better than anyone else due to his more mystical powers.
Retro_ChocolateMay 23, 2017 1:58 PM
-Nekki Basara, Macross 7
May 23, 2017 2:17 PM

Aug 2014
Retro_Chocolate said:

That's probably because it's not explained. The thing shows up in like one chapter and all it does is tell Ryoma that he shouldn't be here and then sends him back. It's one of the things that got cut off when Super Robot Magazine ended.

True, but I was thinking about all the robots that were trying to get out of the surface and escape from the planet only to be stopped by Getter Saint Dragon. It seems like it was either preventing people from leaving the planet or selecting the best of them to go into space (it is said that a lot of Getter energy is required to "be able to go there", iirc, so maybe it was some sort of test to select the Emperor army? I don't know)

Retro_Chocolate said:

I guess it was just my interpretation. I reread the last bit and it's not really confirmed. After the brief reread I think that it was either Getter's will or a combination of both Getter's will and Ryoma's defiance. Kind of disappoints me, as I kind of liked the idea that they tried to stop the Getter but ended up unintentionally doing Getter's will in the process.

Also, I don't think Tahir was necessarily following Getter's will, nor do I think he had any connection with Getter until the end of go, I think he just understood Getter better than anyone else due to his more mystical powers.

There is also the fact that, at the end, the mass of energy that Shin Getter becomes has a human face, probably symbolizing the fusion between the pilots and the Getter. If we assume that was mostly Go's face, then it was probably his doing, following the will of the Getter. Again, it's not explained but I think it was mostly according to Shin Getter's will.

Tahir was quite a mystery, but in the end he said something like "if you think of life as a computer, then I'm a program that already knows its purpose", which makes me think that he at least knew that the Getter was guiding him from the beginning. Could just be my interpretation tho, I sure don't think he knew everything (especially the landing on Mars thing), but I'm positive he was at least a couple of steps ahead of everyone else.

Aaaaaaah, there is just too much I want to know lol
May 23, 2017 5:07 PM

Jan 2016
LeloThePGG said:

True, but I was thinking about all the robots that were trying to get out of the surface and escape from the planet only to be stopped by Getter Saint Dragon. It seems like it was either preventing people from leaving the planet or selecting the best of them to go into space (it is said that a lot of Getter energy is required to "be able to go there", iirc, so maybe it was some sort of test to select the Emperor army? I don't know)

Once again, it's not really explained, but I assumed that the thing stopping them was either the power needed to survive in space, or the power to get there in the first place. Since it's not explained though, it's open to interpretation.

LeloThePGG said:

There is also the fact that, at the end, the mass of energy that Shin Getter becomes has a human face, probably symbolizing the fusion between the pilots and the Getter. If we assume that was mostly Go's face, then it was probably his doing, following the will of the Getter. Again, it's not explained but I think it was mostly according to Shin Getter's will.

I assume that this is what you're talking about:

That's actually really interesting. I never noticed the nose and mouth before.

EDIT: Speaking of this, you can totally see the same thing for like a second during Shin vs. Neo:

Not sure how I missed this, although the fact that it's in Shin vs. Neo does support your point that it's mostly Go's face.

LeloThePGG said:

Aaaaaaah, there is just too much I want to know lol

That's what happens when a manga doesn't get a proper ending. It's both a blessing because there's so much to talk about and a curse because there's so much left to learn.
Retro_ChocolateMay 23, 2017 5:23 PM
-Nekki Basara, Macross 7
May 23, 2017 11:38 PM

Aug 2014
Retro_Chocolate said:

I assume that this is what you're talking about:

That's actually really interesting. I never noticed the nose and mouth before.

EDIT: Speaking of this, you can totally see the same thing for like a second during Shin vs. Neo:

Not sure how I missed this, although the fact that it's in Shin vs. Neo does support your point that it's mostly Go's face.

Yup I was talking about that, and you're right, since it appears in Shin vs Neo it's probably Go's face (I didn't take the OAV into account before)

Retro_Chocolate said:

That's what happens when a manga doesn't get a proper ending. It's both a blessing because there's so much to talk about and a curse because there's so much left to learn.

You're right, although I didn't dislike the ending of Arc, just because it is open-ended in a way that gives me some sense of "inevitability" for the future, and I like that in the contest of Getter Robo as a story.

Devolution is giving us some interesting answers (or at least possible answers) in its own way and I'm really linking that direction it's taking, so I really hope it will continue like that and give us more.
I think the "preparations" for the story to explode are almost done, most of the pieces are in place (Ryoma, the Emperor, the end of the universe) so what's left at this point is to go crazy Getter-style.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Getter Robo Devolution: Uchuu Saigo no 3-punkan Chapter 38 Discussion

LeloTheUnamused - Jun 13, 2019

3 by DeidaraSanji »»
Nov 9, 2022 7:15 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Devolution: Uchuu Saigo no 3-punkan Chapter 29 Discussion

Retro_Chocolate - Sep 3, 2018

4 by LeloTheUnamused »»
Sep 11, 2018 5:40 AM

Poll: » Getter Robo Devolution: Uchuu Saigo no 3-punkan Chapter 26 Discussion

Retro_Chocolate - May 4, 2018

0 by Retro_Chocolate »»
May 4, 2018 7:09 AM

Poll: » Getter Robo Devolution: Uchuu Saigo no 3-punkan Chapter 25 Discussion

LeloTheUnamused - Mar 30, 2018

1 by Retro_Chocolate »»
Apr 17, 2018 8:26 AM

Poll: » Getter Robo Devolution: Uchuu Saigo no 3-punkan Chapter 23 Discussion

Retro_Chocolate - Jan 18, 2018

1 by LeloTheUnamused »»
Feb 3, 2018 6:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.