Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2017 9:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm the singing this episode...sounds decent actually.

Not much action this episode but I'm fine with that. We got Aoi bonding with the frame arm girls outdoors.
May 22, 2017 10:28 AM

Apr 2010
The shows where pretty funny with the acts they where putting up.
Jinrai laughed a lot at the bad jokes.
And the magic show was funny as well.

Aoi going out with Gourai was nice as well.
May 22, 2017 11:01 AM

Sep 2015
Many might not notice this, the production changed the F.A.Girl's facial animation in the opening.
valvravetruthMay 22, 2017 11:04 AM
May 22, 2017 12:08 PM

May 2013
^they changed to 2d drawing.

nice episode.
even Ao's speech is little cruel, but she seems succeeded teaching gourai some feeling, like nostalgia in this episode.
May 22, 2017 12:49 PM

Jun 2015
How nice of everyone to give Gourai a pep rally for her rematch against Hresvelgr. She even had a simulated fight. Ao and Gourai had a nice moment together.
May 22, 2017 1:12 PM

Feb 2012
This episode finally made it click for me about why I love this anime so much. I don't think I ever seen an anime uses anti-jokes so much. The humor of this anime generally boils down to playing off the expectations of viewers who are already anime and genre savvy, and subverting those expectations. Ao's letter to Gourai was easily one of the most conceited and unhelpful inspirational letters one could ever write, and I was rolling around laughing because.

The unfortunate thing about this anime is the fact it relies heavily on anti-jokes is probably the main reason it has such a poor score. The Materia Sisters shows the problems with anti-jokes when they built their entire routine off such jokes; most people don't like it, and the ones that do just love it. I hope there are enough Jinrai's out there that this anime can be successful, because I would love to see more anime follow in its footsteps.
May 22, 2017 1:27 PM

Jun 2011
Phaetons_Folly said:
This episode finally made it click for me about why I love this anime so much. I don't think I ever seen an anime uses anti-jokes so much. The humor of this anime generally boils down to playing off the expectations of viewers who are already anime and genre savvy, and subverting those expectations. Ao's letter to Gourai was easily one of the most conceited and unhelpful inspirational letters one could ever write, and I was rolling around laughing because.

The unfortunate thing about this anime is the fact it relies heavily on anti-jokes is probably the main reason it has such a poor score. The Materia Sisters shows the problems with anti-jokes when they built their entire routine off such jokes; most people don't like it, and the ones that do just love it. I hope there are enough Jinrai's out there that this anime can be successful, because I would love to see more anime follow in its footsteps.

It's not really anti-joke as it is inside jokes, which otaku culture is rife with. Even so, with something that used to be esoteric as meme humor becoming more mainstream, not quite sure if your argument holds entirely true. Either way, another feel good episode. I personally like it, but I bet the ones who wanted this to be more battle tourney are losing patience with this if not have dropped it already.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
May 22, 2017 3:03 PM

Aug 2013
Seems like Ao's parents are enjoying life.

Liked the bonding between Ao and Gourai at the end.

May 22, 2017 3:38 PM

Mar 2016
Ahegyao said:
It's not really anti-joke as it is inside jokes, which otaku culture is rife with.

Do you know what 'inside joke' means? The FAGs don't seem to be delving too much into otaku humor which is the point @Phaetons_Folly was making, and now that he pointed it out, I can definitely see it. Another example of this can be seen in the last (?) episode when Hresvelgr turns the traditional 'static exterior transition scene' shot into a 'crashes through a window' shot. Whether you want to call it anti-humor or not, this show obviously has a dryer sense of humor than what you'd expect from a show like this.
May 22, 2017 3:39 PM

Oct 2013
idk about you guys but seeing Ao's doll somehow turned into a ghost and played with Ao again really gave me that "Visiting your childhood nostalgia" vibe, i was like "oh shit, the okkusenman is strong in this one".

It almost teared me up, and oh damn, Gourai's a real beauty on that new redrawed opening.
May 22, 2017 4:26 PM

Jan 2008
Highlight of this episode was the opening having several CGI scenes converted to 2D. Can't believe how much better they look.

Hopefully Gourai gets a full makeover as well or even better, the BD release that revamps the entire show.

May 22, 2017 5:58 PM

Jun 2011
cwtgcheese said:
Ahegyao said:
It's not really anti-joke as it is inside jokes, which otaku culture is rife with.

Do you know what 'inside joke' means? The FAGs don't seem to be delving too much into otaku humor which is the point @Phaetons_Folly was making, and now that he pointed it out, I can definitely see it. Another example of this can be seen in the last (?) episode when Hresvelgr turns the traditional 'static exterior transition scene' shot into a 'crashes through a window' shot. Whether you want to call it anti-humor or not, this show obviously has a dryer sense of humor than what you'd expect from a show like this.

I didn't explicitly say they use otaku humor. Rather, I was using it as an example of something that uses inside jokes. I mean, we could also interpret this whole show as being full of subversions, a "deconstruction" (thanks /a/ and MAL for making me hate this word ) of the genre.
May 22, 2017 8:38 PM

Feb 2012
Ahegyao said:

It's not really anti-joke as it is inside jokes, which otaku culture is rife with. Even so, with something that used to be esoteric as meme humor becoming more mainstream, not quite sure if your argument holds entirely true. Either way, another feel good episode. I personally like it, but I bet the ones who wanted this to be more battle tourney are losing patience with this if not have dropped it already.

Anti-jokes are necessarily inside jokes. An anti-joke requires the audience to know what punch line should be, and then attempts to be humorous by having a rapid departure from that. If you have no clue about what the joke should be, then the anti-joke won't make any sense. A great example of what I'm talking about came from the Meteria Sisters' comedy routine. They were using a Japanese specific standup comedy and were making jokes on very Japanese things. I struggled to understand most of those jokes, and I doubt anyone here understood them unless they were extremely familiar with Japanese culture. The only reason I even knew about the mushroom they were referring to and how expensive it is was due to the fact the opening sequence of the Muv-Luv visual novel spent an entire conversation about it.

The reason Frame Arms Girl relies so much on anti-jokes is because they know they're a low priority anime and everything the anime hopes to do has already been done well by others. The anime is following in the footsteps of Mecha Masume anime such as Strike Witches, military moe anime such as Girls und Panzer, and model building anime such as Gundam Buildfighter. They'll never be able to compete against such anime by playing it straight, and they can't become a parody because Frame Arms Girl is an actual model line and an anime about them needs to have some seriousness. The only option left is to find a way to be unique, and using anti-jokes makes the very unique.

It's also important to remember that this anime is a response to Kantai Collection. Kantai Collection is an even bigger franchise than Frame Arms Girl and its anime adaptation sucked horribly. KanColle tried to play everything straight and it was a mess. Granted, it has amazing scenes and is awesome if you're just watching clips, but the entire anime was poorly constructed. Frame Arms Girl resolved to do something different and they did. While the overall MAL score looks like it will be the same as KanColle, I can tell you that there are much more people who actually enjoy this anime compared to KanColle.
May 22, 2017 8:42 PM

Aug 2014
Another spooky episode. New OP is sex.
Sieg Zeon!
May 22, 2017 8:51 PM

Oct 2013
Phaetons_Folly said:

It's also important to remember that this anime is a response to Kantai Collection. Kantai Collection is an even bigger franchise than Frame Arms Girl and its anime adaptation sucked horribly. KanColle tried to play everything straight and it was a mess. Granted, it has amazing scenes and is awesome if you're just watching clips, but the entire anime was poorly constructed. Frame Arms Girl resolved to do something different and they did. While the overall MAL score looks like it will be the same as KanColle, I can tell you that there are much more people who actually enjoy this anime compared to KanColle.

As a KanColle fan, I agree with this.

The KC anime series was...dull, everything felt out of place, forced, and anticlimatic.

The Re-made a big event in the game, and won using imposible mechanics, sending the whole naval base to attack a fleet of 3 carriers and a Princess was just overkill. The KC anime was mostly hated by the fans.

Frame Arms Girl's team knew they woulnd't be able to make a big hit with a low-budget anime, and that trying to make a straightfoward anime would end up like a KC level dissapointment, so they went for a light humor series.

But I'm really loving it, this is not an anime you watch for intense drama or a complex storyline...

it's pure stress relief. A mix of CGDCT with Mecha Musume.

it even made me buy a Hresvelgr
May 22, 2017 11:12 PM

Jun 2011
Phaetons_Folly said:
Ahegyao said:

Anti-jokes are necessarily inside jokes. An anti-joke requires the audience to know what punch line should be, and then attempts to be humorous by having a rapid departure from that. If you have no clue about what the joke should be, then the anti-joke won't make any sense. A great example of what I'm talking about came from the Meteria Sisters' comedy routine. They were using a Japanese specific standup comedy and were making jokes on very Japanese things. I struggled to understand most of those jokes, and I doubt anyone here understood them unless they were extremely familiar with Japanese culture. The only reason I even knew about the mushroom they were referring to and how expensive it is was due to the fact the opening sequence of the Muv-Luv visual novel spent an entire conversation about it.

The reason Frame Arms Girl relies so much on anti-jokes is because they know they're a low priority anime and everything the anime hopes to do has already been done well by others. The anime is following in the footsteps of Mecha Masume anime such as Strike Witches, military moe anime such as Girls und Panzer, and model building anime such as Gundam Buildfighter. They'll never be able to compete against such anime by playing it straight, and they can't become a parody because Frame Arms Girl is an actual model line and an anime about them needs to have some seriousness. The only option left is to find a way to be unique, and using anti-jokes makes the very unique.

You're basically just describing humor in a cultural relativity perspective. Every culture has their own taste in it. Not even the ubiquitous cultural Empire that is the US can occupy everyone when it comes to laughs. As someone who likes Manzai comedy, I'm very much aware how it's a "Loss in Translation" effect for many non-Japanese.

There are other directions FAG could've gone into, not just the SOL/toyetic battle hybrid that we got now. For instance, since these girls are basically mini cyborgs, they could've went the route of existential and philosophizing a la Ergo Proxy. Not saying that would've worked out or not, but the options exist.
May 23, 2017 2:13 AM

Jun 2015
Nice Funny Episode.

Plus, nice OP. :D
May 23, 2017 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
Paul said:
Highlight of this episode was the opening having several CGI scenes converted to 2D. Can't believe how much better they look.

Hopefully Gourai gets a full makeover as well or even better, the BD release that revamps the entire show.

I did not believe in my eyes, when I saw the new opening, that beautiful!

The episode was really nice, I appreciate the fact that there are many moments of slices of life. I hope to see other shows in the future with the protagonists, in chibi version.
May 23, 2017 7:39 AM

Apr 2012
Love the new animated sequences!

also that thing with the doll at the end..
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

May 24, 2017 7:35 AM
Jan 2016
Why is this shows so underated :(
May 24, 2017 7:50 AM

Apr 2017
The scene when Gourai kicked Hresvelgr's (Architect, actually) head was brutal oAo

I also agree with @Phaetons_Folly opinion about this show, its execution, and comparison to other animes (KanColle especially). +1
May 25, 2017 2:13 AM

Jun 2008
Personally, I really enjoy this anime...them F.A girls are so cute and adorable...especially the twins ND their brand of humor.
May 27, 2017 6:00 PM

Oct 2008
At Last, Gourai finally had an upgrade on her armaments and done mock battles against Architect in which she collected virtual simulation data from Hresvelgr.
But no fights!? they may be preparing it on the future episodes...
4/5.

wow! I really didn't notice the OP changed to 2D when I replayed the file of ep 7 and compared to ep 8...i began to notice it!
matias067May 27, 2017 6:07 PM

Jun 15, 2017 5:07 AM

Jul 2009
Gourai got new armaments now and it's training.

Guriko is real???
Jun 26, 2017 8:53 AM

Apr 2011
OP looks so much better with changing the CG to 2D. Funny how Jinrai is the only one laughing at the twin's jokes.
Oct 22, 2017 5:15 AM

Jan 2011
That was a cute date.
Jun 12, 2021 7:36 AM

Feb 2020
I loved the first half. Architect has such a beautiful singing voice!

The second half was very wholesome.

SerafosDec 24, 2023 10:51 PM
Feb 19, 2023 10:02 PM

Sep 2020
Pretty lame upgrades imo, Gourai-kai should've been more decked out and not white.

Good talent show and nice bonding with Ao.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz

More topics from this board

Poll: » Frame Arms Girl Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2017

33 by Friedrich-kyn »»
Dec 10, 2023 12:46 PM

Poll: » Frame Arms Girl Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 1, 2017

19 by Friedrich-kyn »»
Dec 10, 2023 12:42 PM

Poll: » Frame Arms Girl Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2017

33 by Friedrich-kyn »»
Dec 9, 2023 2:34 PM

Poll: » Frame Arms Girl Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2017

80 by Friedrich-kyn »»
Dec 9, 2023 2:33 PM

Poll: » Frame Arms Girl Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2017

38 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 19, 2023 10:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.