Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 6, 2017 11:59 PM
CatSoul said:
The oldest isekai I can think of that were popular in anime fandom (or at least popular enough to get licensed/shown on international TV) are El Hazard and Vision of Escaflowne, which came out in 1995 and 1996 respectively.
Escaflowne was basically a copy of/tribute to Aura Battler Dunbin... aka one of if not THE first Isekai anime EVER. It was created by Yoshiyuki Tomino as part of his Byston Well series.

Aug 7, 2017 6:22 AM
I think it will be here to stay. Imthink the concept started with SAO, then lo and behold more Isekai Lightnovels

Aug 7, 2017 6:34 AM

Mariecat1 said:
I think it will be here to stay. Imthink the concept started with SAO, then lo and behold more Isekai Lightnovels

SAO is not even isekai... they are trapped, not transported...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Aug 7, 2017 6:41 AM
Kuma said:
Mariecat1 said:

Yeah but SAO is what reminds me closest of the isekai novels and it started from there...

Aug 7, 2017 6:56 AM

Mariecat1 said:
Kuma said:

Yeah but SAO is what reminds me closest of the isekai novels and it started from there...

it does followed by lot more trapped in game kind of story, but it's totaly different fad than isekai... probably indirectly related since both of them fantasy...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Aug 7, 2017 7:04 AM

Why people count a game world as a isekai story? after SAO arc they free to go back anytime

Webdiver are more isekai than SAO first half first half save everyone who got trapped second half main group become trapped there instead

GangsterCat said:
Digimon, Inuyasha and NG Knight Ramune are older, there are others that I forget.

I don't expect someone still remember NG
Into the Internet!

Jan 20, 2018 3:05 AM
IMHO, an Isekai Anime with the most Badass MC ever is..... Akatsuki Ousawa from Hagure Yuusha. Too bad we don't get to see Season 2 where he and his friends go back to that other fantasy world of Aleyzard, as I like the Elf lady, Listy, as I'm certain that Listy likes him.

Second best Isekai MC is Izayoi Sakamaki from Mondaijitachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo.

Like Akatsuki, Izayoi too is badass, and those 2 make the MC in Isekai Smartphone look like a robotic brainless emotionless chimp.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.

Mar 4, 2018 4:47 AM
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.

Apr 12, 11:20 AM

Menzo- said:
Askorti said:

But SAO isn't even really an isekai...
I'm pretty sure it is. It ticks all the boxes as to what an isekai anime is so idk what you're talking about.

No they are not they are entirely different genera.

Isekai started completely independant of SAO and is due to the rising popularity of Isekai LN basically flooding the market. But this happened with absolutely no connection to SAO.

SAO is from the "trapped in a game" genera similar to .Hack and perhaps to a lesser extent Digimon which might be considered a cross between Isekai and "trapped in a game" type story as it is a digital based world.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 12, 11:24 AM

Askorti said:
Menzo- said:
I'm pretty sure it is. It ticks all the boxes as to what an isekai anime is so idk what you're talking about.

Maybe the fact that the MC is "trapped" only in 2 of the 4 arc worlds he visits? Maybe the fact, that he was neither summoned nor had to die to enter that alternative world? Or maybe the fact, that those worlds aren't even "real". (Well, except for the last one, but that's up to much debate) Oh, and add the fact that he returns every time and spends some time in our world before diving in again.

It doesn't require reincarnation ot summoning to be considered isekai, that's just one of the tropes that comes along with the genre.
What a beautiful Duwang

Apr 12, 11:31 AM

The modern kind of isekai, in which the mc is usually transported to some mmorpg ish world became popular with the adaption of sao.
Go read the One Punch Man manga please, this awful adaptation by JC Staff is a disgrace.

Apr 12, 1:13 PM

Metazoxan_Dexal said:

Isekai started completely independant of SAO and is due to the rising popularity of Isekai LN basically flooding the market. But this happened with absolutely no connection to SAO.

SAO is from the "trapped in a game" genera similar to .Hack and perhaps to a lesser extent Digimon which might be considered a cross between Isekai and "trapped in a game" type story as it is a digital based world.
Trapped in a game can be seen as a subgenre of isekai. It's almost like you're saying something isn't "transported" as long as the box is locked. By that rationale, UPS doesn't "transport" items, it "traps" items lol. And every anime in which the MC can't immediately return to the real world (e.g. Shield Hero, and most of isekai) would be considered a "Trapped in the world" genre.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Apr 12, 1:24 PM

katsucats said:
Metazoxan_Dexal said:

Trapped in a game can be seen as a subgenre of isekai. It's almost like you're saying something isn't "transported" as long as the box is locked. By that rationale, UPS doesn't "transport" items, it "traps" items lol. And every anime in which the MC can't immediately return to the real world (e.g. Shield Hero, and most of isekai) would be considered a "Trapped in the world" genre.

"trapped in a game" is not isekai. It's not simply because there is no "Transportation" but the tropes are entirely different.

Trapped in a game stories are focused on survival. The MC is generally made to have a unique skill or something to make him the hero but the focus is still more heavily leaned towards survival with the ultimate goal being returning back home.

The game world is also generally given only minimal development as it's generally based on an MMO.

Isekai on the other hand are more adventure type stories. Their cast is much more fleshed out and world building is given a bit more attention.

There are more differences but I think I've said enough. The point is the two genera are NOT the same and "trapped in a game" is not a sub genera of Isekai and this isn't ONLY because of techical things like what counts as "transportation".

The two have entirely different structures, tropes, and origins.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 12, 1:32 PM

The first isekai was narnia or wizard of oz.

The ideal of getting transported to another world is old.

Look at eskaflowne or familiar of zero for anime examples.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Apr 12, 1:46 PM

Metazoxan_Dexal said:
katsucats said:

"trapped in a game" is not isekai. It's not simply because there is no "Transportation" but the tropes are entirely different.

Trapped in a game stories are focused on survival. The MC is generally made to have a unique skill or something to make him the hero but the focus is still more heavily leaned towards survival with the ultimate goal being returning back home.

The game world is also generally given only minimal development as it's generally based on an MMO.

Isekai on the other hand are more adventure type stories. Their cast is much more fleshed out and world building is given a bit more attention.

There are more differences but I think I've said enough. The point is the two genera are NOT the same and "trapped in a game" is not a sub genera of Isekai and this isn't ONLY because of techical things like what counts as "transportation".

Nonsense. There is plenty of world building in SAO and plenty of survival in Shield Hero, Re:Zero, Inuyasha, etc. In all of the above except Inuyasha, the characters were trapped. In Slime, the hero is permanently transported to the new world (i.e. trapped), and the world resembles a video game. You're just using words arbitrarily.

The only thing the MMO game provides is the mechanism for transportation.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Apr 12, 1:50 PM

Metazoxan_Dexal said:
katsucats said:

You're just bullshitting here they're all isekai. How the hell do you distinguish Overlord, Slime, Grimgar, Shield Hero, Log Horizon by your rules. All of those have world building heavily based on MMORPGs, have the same recurring tropes and what not. Good luck with that

Apr 12, 2:10 PM

Esquirtit said:
Metazoxan_Dexal said:

You're just bullshitting here they're all isekai. How the hell do you distinguish Overlord, Slime, Grimgar, Shield Hero, Log Horizon by your rules. All of those have world building heavily based on MMORPGs, have the same recurring tropes and what not. Good luck with that

Woah WTF? Don't quite get why you are so damn triggered.

Di you think Isekai is something special? That series excluded from it are "unworthy". The purpose of creating genera is to seperate series into categories to make it easy to find similar ones.

SAO is NOT the same kind of show as Isekai series and that's a fact. You can argue until your blue in the face but if your ONLY arguments are that the MC is "trapped" in something then that's a pretty damn weak argument.

Oh also "How the hell do you distinguish Overlord, Slime, Grimgar, Shield Hero, Log Horizon by your rules"

Not sure WTF you tried to prove with that as ONLY Log Horizon and Inuyasha are arguably not Isekai. Even Overlord is clearly Isekai especially since he's not trapped in a game at all he got sent to another world as his game character.

sigh.... okay let me take a step back and try to spell it out this way. Isekai is litterally "In another world" that is what it means. So first of all if they aren't actually IN another world then it's not Isekai.

Another thing to keep in mind is "trapped in a game" actally more or less predates Isekai as a Genera. While you can techncially say things like Inuyasha involve transporting to another world this was before it grew into it's own genera so it doesn't really follow the tropes at all. Also just to be clear Inuyasha is more a Shonen. So although it does involve another world I wouldn't really put it under the Isekai flag.... maybe like.... one of the foundational shows that helped create Isekai... but again it was sort of before Isekai developed it's own genera and is more a Shonen/fantasy series.

yes another thing to keep in mind is that "trapped in a game" rely entirely on Videogame logic. Everything is managed by the system. follows game rules, has NPC, guilds, ect.

Isekai on the other hand are structured to follow the rules of reality a lot more. While some will mix game like logic like levels it's still applies in the sense that "What if the real world had levels like in a game".

Even SAO which was suposed to be 90% realistic still bound itself to the rules of a game system very heavily. While the majority of Isekai tend to only go so far as to include levels and skills at best.

So seriously. Not sure what has got you guys pissed but seriously don't act like everything has to be Isekai just because you can maybe force an argument and don't act like everything has to be connected to SAO.... it wasn't that good and the anime industry does have other successful franchises to work with.
Modified by Metazoxan_Dexal, Apr 12, 2:13 PM

Apr 12, 2:22 PM

katsucats said:
Metazoxan_Dexal said:

Nonsense. There is plenty of world building in SAO and plenty of survival in Shield Hero, Re:Zero, Inuyasha, etc. In all of the above except Inuyasha, the characters were trapped. In Slime, the hero is permanently transported to the new world (i.e. trapped), and the world resembles a video game. You're just using words arbitrarily.

The only thing the MMO game provides is the mechanism for transportation.

There is "world building" in SAO but not so much of the game they are in. The game itself is just a cage for them to escape. It doesn't have history, natives, and so on.

Also you don't seem to understand what survival is. A show doesn't count as "survival" if the characters simply have a risk of death. Those are all adventure or war based series. Yes they are trying to live but it's still different.

' In all of the above except Inuyasha, the characters were trapped" Just because you can slap the lable "trapped" on something doesn't mean it's related to "trapped in a game" anime.

For the record not THAT many series followed "trapped in a game" story so it's barely a genera. It's more like a description for a small section of series that are sort of fantasy except the magic and such isn't actually real..............

OMFG it just hit me. One of the major differences between Isekai and "trapped in a game".

Series that involve being inside a game more or less go with the premise that you are playing as a character of this world. You aren't someone from Earth apply their knowledge, skills, or such to this world.

This is a world you cannot influence with real world knowledge. Because it's a fake world. A game made for people of the real world to role play as if they are a part of it.

Just because you become "trapped" doesn't change the nature of the game in that the players are treated as part of this world. So the characters aren't trying to simply return to the real world they are trying to escape from the role of being part of this game world.

Isekai on the other hand are different. The MC is treated as a foreign body. Something outside of the standards of the world they enter. They are able to influence the world with Earth's knowledge and culture and even if the people around them see that person as part of that world the series still treats them as an element that is at least originally foreign.

This might seem like a minor detail but it completely changes the dynamic and is a key point of Isekai that all Isekai share. Which is why being simply "trapped in a game" doesn't count.

Apr 12, 3:01 PM

Metazoxan_Dexal said:
Esquirtit said:

Woah WTF? Don't quite get why you are so damn triggered.

Di you think Isekai is something special? That series excluded from it are "unworthy". The purpose of creating genera is to seperate series into categories to make it easy to find similar ones.

SAO is NOT the same kind of show as Isekai series and that's a fact. You can argue until your blue in the face but if your ONLY arguments are that the MC is "trapped" in something then that's a pretty damn weak argument.

Oh also "How the hell do you distinguish Overlord, Slime, Grimgar, Shield Hero, Log Horizon by your rules"

Not sure WTF you tried to prove with that as ONLY Log Horizon and Inuyasha are arguably not Isekai. Even Overlord is clearly Isekai especially since he's not trapped in a game at all he got sent to another world as his game character.

sigh.... okay let me take a step back and try to spell it out this way. Isekai is litterally "In another world" that is what it means. So first of all if they aren't actually IN another world then it's not Isekai.

Another thing to keep in mind is "trapped in a game" actally more or less predates Isekai as a Genera. While you can techncially say things like Inuyasha involve transporting to another world this was before it grew into it's own genera so it doesn't really follow the tropes at all. Also just to be clear Inuyasha is more a Shonen.

yes another thing to keep in mind is that "trapped in a game" rely entirely on Videogame logic. Everything is managed by the system. follows game rules, has NPC, guilds, ect.

Isekai on the other hand are structured to follow the rules of reality a lot more. While some will mix game like logic like levels it's still applies in the sense that "What if the real world had levels like in a game".

Even SAO which was suposed to be 90% realistic still bound itself to the rules of a game system very heavily. While the majority of Isekai tend to only go so far as to include levels and skills at best.

So seriously. Not sure what has got you guys pissed but seriously don't act like everything has to be Isekai just because you can maybe force an argument and don't act like everything has to be connected to SAO.... it wasn't that good and the anime industry does have other successful franchises to work with.
I'm not triggered lol it's just the things you said didn't make sense to but now it does if Overlord takes place in a new world. I only finished season 1 but didnt he just get stuck or transported into the game while the game was supposed to be closed? And just like Log Horizon all these npc's change, only big difference I can remember is that Momanga seems to be the only one who transported. Been a while to remember important details so I'm probably wrong anyway.

My point was that both Overlord and Slime have maincharacters who didn't care about going back to the real world but Overlord takes place in a new world and not in a game my bad

And then there's Shield Hero who has a MC who wants to back home while not stuck in a game. You said "The MC is generally made to have a unique skill or something to make him the hero but the focus is still more heavily leaned towards survival with the ultimate goal being returning back home" I think this is something that occurs both in stories with game worlds and new worlds. Same with world building and fleshing out characters, it can happen in both settings.

"yes another thing to keep in mind is that "trapped in a game" rely entirely on Videogame logic. Everything is managed by the system. follows game rules, has NPC, guilds, ect." I guess this why Log Horizon is arguable? Tbh the fact that a show like Log Horizon is not considered isekai by some says enough how thin the line is between what's isekai and what not

A show like SAO has so much common with shows you believe to be real isekai that's why I disagree with it not being isekai lol. And not just because he's trapped, it's the fact the characters have to grow accustomed to living in this new virtual world

And no I don't have a problem with trashy SAO not being labeled as isekai by a minorty lol

Apr 12, 3:09 PM

flannan said:
GamerDLM said:
(Excluding Alice in Wonderland)

You'll have to exclude a lot. One of the oldest fantasy book series, Narnia, is isekai.
And before that, there were stories like Gulliver's Travels.

If you want to limit yourself to anime, AniDB easily gives an answer:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?wishlist=0&vote=0&type.web=1&type.unknown=1&type.tvspecial=1&type.tvseries=1&type.ova=1&type.other=1&type.musicvideo=1&type.movie=1&tagid=6744&show=tag&reltb=animetb&orderby.name=1.1&orderby.airdate=0.1&notification=0&noalias=1&mylist=0&h=0&do.update=update&cleanurl=1&cat.minweight=0&airing=0
Aura Battler Dunbine was there first, in 1983.

Gulliver's Travels is not an isekai. The whole story happens in the same world.

Apr 12, 3:14 PM
hazarddex said:
The first isekai was narnia or wizard of oz.

The ideal of getting transported to another world is old.

Look at eskaflowne or familiar of zero for anime examples.

i'm pretty sure the Divine Comedy (Dante's Inferno, Dante's Purgatorio, Dante's Paradiso) counts as the first isekai

Apr 13, 1:02 AM

KRKodama said:
flannan said:

You'll have to exclude a lot. One of the oldest fantasy book series, Narnia, is isekai.
And before that, there were stories like Gulliver's Travels.

If you want to limit yourself to anime, AniDB easily gives an answer:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?wishlist=0&vote=0&type.web=1&type.unknown=1&type.tvspecial=1&type.tvseries=1&type.ova=1&type.other=1&type.musicvideo=1&type.movie=1&tagid=6744&show=tag&reltb=animetb&orderby.name=1.1&orderby.airdate=0.1&notification=0&noalias=1&mylist=0&h=0&do.update=update&cleanurl=1&cat.minweight=0&airing=0
Aura Battler Dunbine was there first, in 1983.

Gulliver's Travels is not an isekai. The whole story happens in the same world.

But the basic concept remains the same - a large place that runs on different principles and is worth exploring, visited by a person like the reader/viewer.
Which is why I'd say that SAO may be considered an isekai (the game they're playing matters), but Netoge no Yome has nothing to do with that.

Apr 13, 1:06 AM

idk but maybe sao, but i think it really took off when re:zero was airing. i'm re watching now and fuck it still gets me everything, the feels just come back. soooo good

Apr 13, 3:26 AM

To put it simply, SAO is considered to be Isekai, but not a pure one, since it transports you into a game world instead of different world.

A pure Isekai is like Tensei Slime Shittara datta ken or KonoSuba. Where you get transported into another real world / dimension.

https://tanoshimi.xyz/2018/04/17/isekai-a-world-of-possibilities/ This article provides an insight regarding Isekai, and is a good read tbh.
I write anime stuffs here.

http://paullevesque.blogspot.co.id/

Apr 14, 11:00 AM

When a truck met a hikki in a traffic accident.

May 11, 10:00 AM
Paul_Levesque said:
To put it simply, SAO is considered to be Isekai, but not a pure one, since it transports you into a game world instead of different world.

A pure Isekai is like Tensei Slime Shittara datta ken or KonoSuba. Where you get transported into another real world / dimension.

https://tanoshimi.xyz/2018/04/17/isekai-a-world-of-possibilities/ This article provides an insight regarding Isekai, and is a good read tbh.
that's only true of the first season. After they get out, it stops being one.

May 11, 11:35 AM
The Bible is the first isekai, because God trapped Jesus on Earth.

May 11, 12:28 PM
MadHobbit2 said:
The Bible is the first isekai, because God trapped Jesus on Earth.
but he could have "logged out" any time he wanted. So he wasn't exactly trapped. XD

Pages (2) « 1 [2]