Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 2017 12:31 PM

Sep 2015
Do any of you find yourselves loving something, but never wanting to rewatch it? I see a lot of people mentioning rewatch value when they rate an anime, but I have series that I love, that I even consider masterpieces, and I never find myself wanting to rewatch them. For me, off the top of my head is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Even though I loved it so much, I never want to rewatch it. I've thought about it so many times, but it's never something I want to do.

Do you believe that a series has to have rewatch value to be a masterpiece?
May 21, 2017 12:37 PM

Jul 2012
Rewatch value is nice depending on the series, but generally no.
For example if you happen to favor mystery or thriller series they probably won't have much rewatch value. Because you've already been exposed to the full idea of the series and the experience will shift the second time through or have less of an impact.
May 21, 2017 12:38 PM

Jul 2015
nope a masterpiece doesnt need to have a high rewatch value.

for expample i just dont want to rewatch long series, because i dont want to spent that much on a show i already know.
also a reason for not rewatching a show even though i love it is when the show is slow.

so overall there can be many reasons why a show doesnt have a much rewatch value even though its a masterpiece and you love it. but thats also very subjective and differs from person to person.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
May 21, 2017 12:43 PM

Sep 2016
Depends on the nature of the series, for example Detective Conan or One Piece are impossible rewatch on fully due to their length, however Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo is a series I like to revisit every once in awhile to get some nice laughs.

OT: I'd say yes and no, as a fully plot-driven show all over again doesn't make much sense, however one in wich you only want to watch one episode and that's it, it get's important.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

May 21, 2017 12:44 PM

Jan 2013
I generally like rewatching shows and the more I liked a show the more likely it is that I'll rewatch it in the future, so for me 9s and 10s need to have a high rewatch value (or rather - they automatically have since I liked them so much). There are some shows I scored high and I don't want to rewatch them, but I don't consider them "masterpieces" in such case and they aren't my all time favorites.
fuyukiMay 21, 2017 5:11 PM
May 21, 2017 12:52 PM

Dec 2016
GamerDLM said:
Rewatch value is nice depending on the series, but generally no.
For example if you happen to favor mystery or thriller series they probably won't have much rewatch value. Because you've already been exposed to the full idea of the series and the experience will shift the second time through or have less of an impact.

I still think Shiki has a very high rewatch value, although something like Higurashi does not. It depends on the show.

@OP
A show with high rewatch value is often a great show, but shows with very low rewatch value often weren't too great to begin with - UNLESS of course it is a show that was great the first time watching it and most of its power came from not being able to decipher what would happen while watching, much like Higurashi as I mentioned.
May 21, 2017 12:59 PM

Aug 2016
See, if theres an anime i absolutely loved, chances are I will rewatch it someday. I've never cared whether something had "Rewatch Value"
May 21, 2017 1:07 PM

Oct 2016
Is that even a thing?
Aren't you supposed to just rewatch whichever series you like whenever you feel like doing it?
May 21, 2017 1:12 PM

Apr 2016
imo a series is a masterpiece when you don't want to watch it again cuz then you will feel broken when you see them smiling and alive
May 21, 2017 1:27 PM

Jul 2013
nah, some series are masterpieces that depends on a suspense value. Rewatching would ruin that.
May 21, 2017 4:23 PM

Feb 2015
Well I consider everything in terms of fap value.

So if it is worth fapping, there's a high chance that it is worth rewatching.
May 21, 2017 6:24 PM

Jun 2010
I only go back to look when I feel that I have free time and I want to enjoy what I enjoyed a while ago.
May 21, 2017 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
There are some that I've had a hard time wanting to rewatch, and actually think it's better that way. The longer I go without watching it, the more I'll forget and eventually return to it someday.

And to answer your question, no, they don't have to have rewatch value to be a masterpiece.
May 21, 2017 6:41 PM
Sep 2015
Rewatching an anime series, you can discover stuff you didn't figured the first time you saw it. And you can discover if that series you'd love the first time you saw it can survive the pass of time or not. If some series can resist the pass of time that can do you like it even more
In March I saw K-ON! and K-ON!! and I'm gonna miss those characters til I rewatch that series again (what it's gonna take a long time) and the last month I saw Ergo Proxy and I like it more, the story it's more simple what I though the first time I saw it
May 21, 2017 6:48 PM

Apr 2017
Not sure of what you called "masterpiece". Rewatching are mostly giving us some time to keep us more wait and indeed to recapping remarkable shows

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
May 21, 2017 8:47 PM

Dec 2015
No, lmao. The only reason I've ever rewatched something is if I saw it as a kid or there's a new season out and I want to recap on the last like two episodes.
So for me, that isn't even a factor.
Eh.
May 21, 2017 9:32 PM

May 2017
Nope, it doesn't really matter to me. I might rewatch a few episodes from animes I really enjoyed to pass time, but i never sit down to watch an entire series all over again even if I gave it a high score. Its different if I'm watching with friends though- at that point I'm ok with rewatching anime but only because I'm recommending it to them and I want them to enjoy series I've liked.
May 21, 2017 10:41 PM

May 2017
just my two cents, i rewatched some series including evangelion, when you are older you can notice a lot of things, its a really cool experience
May 21, 2017 11:07 PM

Oct 2014
I rarely ever rewatch so whether if I give it a 10 or give it a 1 I most likely have only seen it once. In fact, I've never rewatched any of my 10s while there actually are some anime I gave 1s that I've seen more once (my 10s are mostly 20 hour+ anime while my 1s are primarily under 10 minutes so that's an important factor). Most of my rewatches were strategic (eg. rewatching a Hatsune Miku anime 20+ times in order to write a review on it) or were because I was watching it with other people rather than traditional pure entertainment rewatches. Rewatch value is not something I factor into my ratings.
May 22, 2017 12:36 AM

Jul 2013
It's not a necessary thing, but it's a plus in some cases. There are some series who gains more when you re-watch them, since the second time you get foreshadowing and realize some things quicker than the first time.
May 22, 2017 12:41 AM

Apr 2014
I'd love to rewatch my favorite anime, but my full time job won't let me.
Not that my full time student status from before the job would have helped much there either.
May 22, 2017 12:46 AM

Oct 2016
Illyricus said:
There are some series who gains more when you re-watch them.

this is interesting and true but i just can't seem to find the right anime to fit in this category, Your Name comes to mind.
May 22, 2017 12:57 AM
May 2015
FierceDeityLink said:
Do any of you find yourselves loving something, but never wanting to rewatch it? I see a lot of people mentioning rewatch value when they rate an anime, but I have series that I love, that I even consider masterpieces, and I never find myself wanting to rewatch them. For me, off the top of my head is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Even though I loved it so much, I never want to rewatch it. I've thought about it so many times, but it's never something I want to do.

Look, it doesn't have to be a masterpiece, just anything that you wouldn't mind watching again. Seems kinda simple but that is how it is.

I can rewatch To Love-Ru countless of times without getting bored. Why is that? It was my anime. Yes it was that one anime that can fully get my attention. Waifu can be the cause too.

Protaku said:
I'd love to rewatch my favorite anime, but my full time job won't let me.
Not that my full time student status from before the job would have helped much there either.

Check out my club and try increasing your list with a busy schedule like me.
jeikobu11May 22, 2017 1:00 AM
May 22, 2017 1:03 AM

Nov 2011
Rewatch value isn't necessary for me to rate something high, though all of my current favorites are rewatchable.

I imagine shows that rely heavily on suspense and tension wouldn't be as fun on a rewatch.

Noesnecesario said:
for example Detective Conan or One Piece are impossible rewatch on fully due to their length

Hardly. I've watched 600+ episodes of One Piece twice.
May 22, 2017 1:36 AM
Jan 2016
I don't think there's much correlation between scores and rewatchability.
Some of the series I rated the highest, like Clannad AS, Toradora, Angel Beats or Shigatsu aren't very rewatchable for me, but some of the ones I rated a bit lower, like Rakudai Kishi, SAO, Mahouka or Asterisk I find very easy to rewatch.
May 22, 2017 2:06 AM

Feb 2017
I don't mind rewatching as long as it's with others, like a group ;3
❄✼❄✼❄✼❄✼

𝘊𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘥.
𝘍𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘪𝘵 𝘴𝘸𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘢𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘴𝘬𝘪𝘯 𝘪𝘯 𝘢𝘯 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘰𝘤𝘦𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘦𝘹𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯.

❄✼❄✼❄✼❄✼
May 22, 2017 7:51 AM

May 2015
So far, not really. The best anime tend to include so many great things - art, themes, characters, humor - that I know I want to experience them again sometimes. Some I'm fine with watching just once, like Gekkan Shoujo. It was a great comedy but that's it. Most of what I rated 9-10 I'll probably rewatch someday.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 22, 2017 9:10 AM

Jan 2017
Nope, there are a lot of "masterpieces" that I wouldn't rewatch.
I would never rewatch Death Note for example.

It takes more than that, to want to rewatch an anime. An atmosphere, I would say.
I'd take Gintama any day, any time, even 100 times.
I might rewatch Naruto, although I'm not a fan. But it's really cozy.
May 22, 2017 9:15 AM

Aug 2013
it depend on my mood. if I rewatching it again that would be the plot that catches my interest.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever
enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker,
or smarter. Everything is within.
Everything is exists.
Seek nothing outside of yourself
" - Musashi
miyamoto
May 23, 2017 5:04 AM

May 2013
i dont mind rewatching my 10s but not all of them
May 23, 2017 6:24 AM

Nov 2016
It would be a shame if I could never rewatch something I liked so much.
May 23, 2017 7:44 AM
May 2009
FierceDeityLink said:

FMA: B is the one I re watch yearly. Its just really good.

I tend to rewatch alot, but only the ones I find good for rewatching, shows that are too slow or lack dialogue or are to artsy are the ones I never tend to rewatch.
May 23, 2017 7:47 AM

Oct 2015
no. most, if not all, of the things in my giant favorites list are definitely rewatchable. some i have already rewatched to see how they hold up and, to be honest, they hold even better than i originally thought.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 23, 2017 7:56 AM
we back

Aug 2015
Instead of wasting time watching an anime I've already seen, I'd rather just watch an anime I haven't seen.

However, I will admit, I rewatch random arcs of Naruto from time to time, cuz that my shit.
May 23, 2017 8:09 AM

Jun 2015
You can re-watch it if its comedy like nichijou
May 25, 2017 6:56 AM

May 2015
Kona-chan said:
Instead of wasting time watching an anime I've already seen, I'd rather just watch an anime I haven't seen.

However, I will admit, I rewatch random arcs of Naruto from time to time, cuz that my shit.

Naruto, of all things? Isn't it repetitive as hell?
May 25, 2017 9:26 AM
we back

Aug 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Kona-chan said:

Naruto, of all things? Isn't it repetitive as hell?

I only watch bits and pieces of it so like fights, arcs or even certain scenes or episodes. I don't do this very often anymore so I don't find it that repetitive to be honest.
May 25, 2017 2:14 PM

Jul 2015
It depends, actually, if an anime I liked has a manga associated with it, it would just read the manga, because there may be more stories that were not seen in the anime series. I really don't like rewatching anything, unless I haven't seen it in awhile.
May 25, 2017 2:36 PM
Dec 2015
rocket777 said:
Rewatching an anime series, you can discover stuff you didn't figured the first time you saw it. And you can discover if that series you'd love the first time you saw it can survive the pass of time or not. If some series can resist the pass of time that can do you like it even more
In March I saw K-ON! and K-ON!! and I'm gonna miss those characters til I rewatch that series again (what it's gonna take a long time) and the last month I saw Ergo Proxy and I like it more, the story it's more simple what I though the first time I saw it
K-On is a great example of a show with rewatch value because it is so densely packed with setting details, characterization, and layered humor that you won't catch everything on the first watch. I always find something new in the school, or some subtle way it shows character development when I rewatch the show, and because of that the emotional moments toward the end hit that much harder. Haven't seen Ergo Proxy yet, but it looks like it has a detailed setting and a dense thematic package so it probably fits as well.
May 25, 2017 2:42 PM
Dec 2015
Rewatch value doesn't just come from a series being good. Plot driven series tend to not have much rewatch value because we already know the story. Character driven series and series with detailed world-building tend to have the most rewatch value. Densely packed settings mean that on top of experiencing the feeling of the world again you will probably also notice new things and appreciate other things in hind sight thanks to having story context. Shows dense with characterization are great for rewatching because it allows us to not only live with the characters again, but find subtle things in their characterization that we didn't notice previously and appreciate subtler moments of character development that we may have missed the first time without future context.
May 25, 2017 2:45 PM

Aug 2016
Rewatch value is not factored into my ratings because not all anime are better when re-watched as re-watching mystery driven shows or really long runners aren't ideal (only exception to these is if you forget everything about them but you remember watching it).

Re-watching certain episodes of those series is fine.

Also I'm open to watching all kinds of anime, so I like to invest my time more into watching something I never watched vs something I already did, hence I don't care much about "rewatchability"

May 25, 2017 3:02 PM

Dec 2012
No, because there are some things I consider good which don't have much rewatch value.

Rewatch value comes more into play when I'm considering whether to buy something or not. If I don't think I'll ever rewatch it there is no use spending money to own it.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 25, 2017 11:56 PM

May 2015
GamerUnglued said:
Rewatch value doesn't just come from a series being good. Plot driven series tend to not have much rewatch value because we already know the story. Character driven series and series with detailed world-building tend to have the most rewatch value. Densely packed settings mean that on top of experiencing the feeling of the world again you will probably also notice new things and appreciate other things in hind sight thanks to having story context. Shows dense with characterization are great for rewatching because it allows us to not only live with the characters again, but find subtle things in their characterization that we didn't notice previously and appreciate subtler moments of character development that we may have missed the first time without future context.

This really sums it up. I'd argue that because character-driven have such a rewatch value, they're always better than plot-driven anime.
May 26, 2017 12:16 AM
May 2017
Not really. Some anime are better off to be watched once and some consider rewatching anime to really understand the story. For me, Death Note is a one time thing because all the thrills and mind-battle are best when it's done the first time. On the other hand, I rewatched Puella Magi Madoka Magica twice because there are some elements that I didn't understand the first time.

Basically it depends on the viewer what is should be rewatched and what should be left alone.
Jan 25, 2022 2:47 AM

Jul 2021
of course a masterpiece doesnt need to have a high rewatch value.
Jan 25, 2022 2:01 PM

Aug 2019
yeah, I don’t rewatch anime at all since there’s just so much I want to watch; granted that’s different from what you are asking

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

163 by Fear »»
17 seconds ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 3 minutes ago

0 by Peach_Main »»
3 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9049 by thatoneguy2440 »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

81 by ColourWheel »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

13 by -Aurelius- »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.