Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 21, 2017 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ha, that scene of Benten joining the guys at the onsen was priceless. I bet all the dudes were having lewd thoughts

Episode was interesting. We get to see what a Friday Club meeting is like. Seems like a classic gathering and even Benten attends. The part with the gun was quite intimdiating though, wasn't expecting that. Pretty thrilling episode. I have to admit, that got chaotic at the meeting.
May 21, 2017 8:16 AM

Nov 2016
I wasn't expecting Soun to die that fast...

Now that Yas' has "infiltrated" the Friday Fellows, it's going to get interesting.

Still can't stand Benten's guts, though.
May 21, 2017 8:26 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That last scene was incredible. I ended up feeling bad for Soun even, he always got outclassed. In the end, there are no heroes or villains, there are only furballs who go to heaven.

Kaisei though, she gave me goosebumps. Her reaction to it and seeing Yasaburou with her father and him feeling remorse...MORE OF THEM TWO! Yasaburou still hasn't seen Kaisei once in her human form.
May 21, 2017 8:28 AM

May 2015
OH GOD, I didn't expect the episode to turn that heavy and serious. Totally unexpected, like damn. I went speechless and dead quiet....

May 21, 2017 8:48 AM

Mar 2016
i don't know how to react

i didnt see that coming
May 21, 2017 8:52 AM

Aug 2012
Maaaaaan, I would have loved to see this in the first season, but now it's just too heavy. Yasaburou's forgiving, remorseful heart for him, and poor Kaisei's understanding of it all, her inability to be angry about it and just grieve :(

Was this the S1E8 of this cour? The emotion may not have spiked as hard as that one, but the weight sure felt heavier with how it played out, despite everything Soun has done.
May 21, 2017 8:54 AM

Sep 2015
To die like that... i have mixed feeling for this episode
Into the Internet!
May 21, 2017 9:07 AM

Nov 2013
Wow.

Totally unexpected.

Benten really does care for the kid, staging a charade to raise him up to her level in the world.

Can't wait to see more of Friday Fellows' new Hotei!
May 21, 2017 9:14 AM
Mar 2015
I think the series is gaining its rhythm back.lots of time has been devoted on developing the setting without any substantial plot development but last two episodes have given us insight in the relationship between soun and Yasaburou, we understand another aspect of his character.Very good episode
May 21, 2017 9:24 AM

Nov 2013
I wonder if there's a significance that Soun is killed with Nidaime's gun....
May 21, 2017 9:24 AM

May 2013
I'm really confusing with power level from this anime characters.
Jyurojin have magic painting that can teleport human to hell, but why he actually surprised seeing his train flying and suon changed to onii?
hope I see mijikashi before this.
May 21, 2017 9:30 AM
Oct 2015
Didn't thought that my eyes would get a little wet when i see that bastard tanuki die.
May 21, 2017 9:49 AM
Mar 2015
Yasborugh crying for Soun was very touching. Love that all furballs go to heaven. Glad Kaisei was there to see Yashborugh grieve for her father He shed tears she could not
May 21, 2017 10:43 AM

Jul 2011
So, Yasaburou is officially a Friday Fellow's member now that he took the seat supposed to be for his uncle. Even at the end Ebisugawa still lost to his brother's foolish blood.
I actually felt sad with his death and it took me by surprise, but yeah he deserved it anyway.

In the end, all dogs... I mean, all furballs go to heaven, that was nice.
May 21, 2017 10:52 AM
Sep 2016
Well, this episode was a literal feels train.

So many emotional aspects played out: Yasaburo "betraying" Yodogawa, Soun's fall, Kaisei's reaction.

Finished Season 1 yesterday, and was extremely impressed by the wit and emotion it displayed. How it could shift effortlessly between light humorous tones to a heavier, darker one is something Season 2 is keen on continuing. I'd love to see how the story progresses from here.
May 21, 2017 11:50 AM

Oct 2010
As much as I dislike Soun, there's a level of sympathy I feel for him - for someone who has been second his entire life, lost the love of his life to his brother, and overshadowed in every aspect and made to feel inferior and villainous, eventually spiraling out of control. It was courageous of him to end his final few moments mocking his fate and declaring his journey to the netherworld.
May 21, 2017 12:02 PM

Nov 2013
megmica said:
Jyurojin have magic painting that can teleport human to hell, but why he actually surprised seeing his train flying and suon changed to onii?

Yes! Also 3 stacked train cars, 1 of which has an outdoor hot spring inside! 😄
May 21, 2017 1:51 PM

Feb 2014
Benten joining the guys' side of the hot springs, nude, and only Yasaburo had the, ahem, balls, to look in her direction in surprise and happiness while all the other guys were looking away embarrassed.

....Damn you Yasaburo, you lucky bastard! >_<

So Yasaburo was able to join the Friday Club, but at the cost of Soun. Soun simply lost his marbles and attacked Yasaburo, in which Tenmaya responded by shooting Soun, leaving him with a fatal wound.

I will admit, I didn't expect Soun to die at all. As much of an evil bastard he was to Yasaburo's family after all this time, his death left me speechless and shocked. I do have sympathy for him.

Same goes for Yasaburo and Kaisei as well. Yasaburo's speech about the furballs going to heaven was pretty touching of him to say. =)

Next week's episode title is Ebisugawa Kaisei's Secret. That made me instantly curious. Is she hiding a secret that we don't know about, or one that we already know of? I want to find out ASAP, of course! =P
May 21, 2017 3:20 PM

Jan 2014
Everyone fears Benten so her power must be great. She seemed really scary when she told Yasaburo "Quiet, boy" in that deepened voice of hers. Her capriciousness prevents me from growing to like her much.

Samuel Johnson is credited with the saying "Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged." For the crime of getting Yasaburo's father drunk, captured, and eaten by at a Friday Club feast, Sōichirō has been avenged, but it was such a bitter end for Suon that I couldn't feel glad he died.

Nice to get a glimpse into the goings on of a Friday Club meeting. I like how, behind every seemingly ordinary door and curtain, there's something magical.
May 21, 2017 4:51 PM

Jan 2013
Fairly powerful episode, I don't feel sad that Souun died just for Kaisei.
May 21, 2017 5:38 PM

Oct 2011
Whoa felt bad for Soun in the end
May 21, 2017 7:36 PM

Jul 2012
HowTragic said:
As much as I dislike Soun, there's a level of sympathy I feel for him - for someone who has been second his entire life, lost the love of his life to his brother, and overshadowed in every aspect and made to feel inferior and villainous, eventually spiraling out of control. It was courageous of him to end his final few moments mocking his fate and declaring his journey to the netherworld.
It's kind of scary how this could have easily described Yajirou.... Soichiro's intervention and subsequent death prevented this very thing from happening to Yajirou...

On a less downer note, GOD DAMN IT THE NAME OF THE NEXT EPISODE TORTURES ME. Why did I give into the temptation to watch this weekly?!?!
AlexTheRiot said:
Was this the S1E8 of this cour? The emotion may not have spiked as hard as that one, but the weight sure felt heavier with how it played out, despite everything Soun has done.
It seriously could be. The parallels between the two seasons are there to back up that thought.

The episode following S1E8 was one about Kaisei, and here again in this season, the episode following a heavy episode will be about Kaisei.
May 21, 2017 10:32 PM

Apr 2017
This episode makes me feel sad for Soun and her daughter Kaisei. If he didn't get angry to Yasaburo, things might turn well. It also has been a long time since I saw the human form of Kaisei. I'm giving my condolence to her.
May 22, 2017 4:25 AM

Mar 2012
I'll admit, I've been a mild fan of Uchouten Kazoku, but this episode turned me into a full-fledged fan of the series.

I have to say that this episode really showed everyone's true character. We saw Soun snap after again he didn't get what he wanted and even in death, he had to do it in the presence of Yasuboro.

We really saw Yasuboro in full display. Despite all the awful things Soun had done to his family, he felt empathy for him even in death. Even as Soun was trying to kill him, he pleaded with Tenmaya not to shoot him.

And of course, we have Kaisei, who I get the impression did not want to show her emotions to Yasuboro...practically staying true to form even in tragedy. She sent a chill down my spine when she asked Yasuboro to leave them after Soun passed away, because I'm sure he did not want to see the true emotional state she was in (either that or she still didn't want him to see her in her human form), but I will go with the prior.

This is a really deep and compelling show. I'm glad I gave this series a chance.
May 22, 2017 4:36 AM

Mar 2012
GanbatteBakemono said:
Everyone fears Benten so her power must be great. She seemed really scary when she told Yasaburo "Quiet, boy" in that deepened voice of hers. Her capriciousness prevents me from growing to like her much.

Samuel Johnson is credited with the saying "Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged." For the crime of getting Yasaburo's father drunk, captured, and eaten by at a Friday Club feast, Sōichirō has been avenged, but it was such a bitter end for Suon that I couldn't feel glad he died.

Nice to get a glimpse into the goings on of a Friday Club meeting. I like how, behind every seemingly ordinary door and curtain, there's something magical.

It kind of speaks volumes about just how powerful Nidaime is if he was able to beat her in mere seconds. Either that or it was just a matter of Benten simply underestimating her opponent.

Although, I will say that it doesn't seem like her defeat has humbled her much.
May 22, 2017 5:51 AM

Jan 2010
This episode was amazing. I was on the edge of my seat the whole banquet I had no idea what was going to happen in the next moment. It was like some kind of a nerve-racking social ritual. And the way it ended was just...wow
May 22, 2017 8:47 AM

Nov 2011
No doubt about it, this season is giving away some really interesting twists. The narration is always so suddenly changing in the atmosphere. Very sad the final, in the end I got sick for Suou's death, that's why this anime series is awesome. Really rich in mystery this episode as well.
May 22, 2017 1:58 PM

Jul 2015
AHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT WAS HEAVY AND I FEEL KIND OF BAD NOW... Thought Soun was gonna turn out to be the main villain again, didn't think he was gonna die like that though... that wasn't satisfying at all, it was the opposite.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
May 22, 2017 4:40 PM

Jun 2015
tropicaldaruma said:
megmica said:

there's a saying that "30 years old virgin became wizard". no wonder in his 120 y.o he could send someone to hell. But not strong enough to make things fly.
kidding.
If I were him, possess a power just like a wizard, it's hard to find someone who could do the same. He couldn't fly (he is a human afterall). A pot filled with beer/wine could lift 3 stacked bus to the sky, If I were him. I'd suprised as hell.
May 22, 2017 5:29 PM

Nov 2013
Arekia said:
tropicaldaruma said:

there's a saying that "30 years old virgin became wizard". no wonder in his 120 y.o he could send someone to hell. But not strong enough to make things fly.
kidding.
If I were him, possess a power just like a wizard, it's hard to find someone who could do the same. He couldn't fly (he is a human afterall). A pot filled with beer/wine could lift 3 stacked bus to the sky, If I were him. I'd suprised as hell.

Are you saying Jurojin is a 120y.o. VIRGIN?????!
W-was Benten... his first, then??

Kidding.

Yeah, point taken. 😊 At first I thought he was impressed by the pot because his powers are illusion-based, while the flight is real flight. I seem to recall it being mentioned at some point that Tenmaya was trapped in an illusion, in that painting of hell. But then if it were illusion, Benten wouldn't be collecting precious oni horns from it. So I dunno, maybe I misremembered it....
May 22, 2017 5:53 PM

Mar 2009
lol at Benten just casually strolling into the men's bath. No fucks given by Benten.

Crazy episode. Benten always has to escalate things somehow. I actually felt some sympathy towards Soun, weirdly enough. He was always living in the shadow of someone. Sad stuff. And of course I felt terrible for poor Kaisei.

Anyway, fantastic episode.
May 22, 2017 8:53 PM

May 2017
wanna see the reaction of the two dumb brothers kinkaku and ginkaku after their father's dead :v
i'm a yasaburo x kaisei shipper rather than yaichiro x gyakuran (or what) >w<
that furballs go to heaven thingy :(
jyurojin is creepy.
re:education - vocaloid

Acedia, Luxuria, Ira, Superbia

May 23, 2017 3:17 AM

Jun 2015
tropicaldaruma said:
Arekia said:

kidding.

Are you saying Jurojin is a 120y.o. VIRGIN?????!
W-was Benten... his first, then??

Kidding.

Yeah, point taken. 😊 At first I thought he was impressed by the pot because his powers are illusion-based, while the flight is real flight. I seem to recall it being mentioned at some point that Tenmaya was trapped in an illusion, in that painting of hell. But then if it were illusion, Benten wouldn't be collecting precious oni horns from it. So I dunno, maybe I misremembered it....

It must be hilarious!!
But kinda sad that Benten's harem is filled with old man. I hope her wish to find destined partner could become true :')

I really really reaaaallly curious about Tenmaya power. He could hypnotized Yasaburo. Take a moon. and is that really an illusion?!! the hell painting is not a mere illusion too!!
May 24, 2017 7:47 AM

Sep 2014
I just can't help but appreciate the wild turns of events each episode. This whole episode felt so orchestrated by Benten and the moment when she poked out her tounge at Yasaboru was so satifying.

Did they use the soundtrack, that was being played during the death scene of Soun, before? I didn't recognise it but it sure as hell is a great addition to the phenomenal soundtrack used in the series, inculding s1. It's honestly mind-blowing how much change in the emotional impact they achieve with the soundtrack in this series.
May 24, 2017 10:04 PM

Jul 2009
Damn this show has such great characterization
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
May 25, 2017 9:36 AM

Sep 2015
Well this was a heavy episode with a lot to keep track of (true of most episodes centered on the Friday Fellows). I wonder what Yasaburo's going to do with his new membership into his club of enemies. And if and when he'll reconcile with the poor Professor he thew under the bus. Not only that but what role will Tenmaya play in the end of the series as he's become the Friday Clubs lackey. Lot of interesting stuff for this series to still get into as we round the halfway point.

But the most significant development here had to be the death of Suon. Even after he tried to become a cannibal. Even after he choked Yasaburo out. Yasaburo still mourned his death a little. Which I thought was interesting but also could have been moreso. Because we've never really seen a single positive experience between those two (Or Suon and anybody) to warrant his death being sad. I guess it's how pathetic his death was. Maybe that also reminded Yasaburo that as a tanuki a pathetic death like that is always an option for him too. Either way I felt kind of bad for Kaisei at the end. I'm just glad she didn't get mad at Yasaburo or say it was his fault or something.
May 25, 2017 8:58 PM

Oct 2008
Soun the Oni/Tanuki has fallen...
4/5.

May 28, 2017 12:34 AM

Jan 2014
Wow. That was fantastic.
May 30, 2017 4:02 AM

Jan 2015
took me about 40 mins to finish this episde. tears just wouldnt stop ever since i spoiled myself that he died i saw constant flags for myself and just couldnt stop myself. it was so sad. Yes he was a shitty person who did many wrongdoings but i still felt so bad for him that he couldnt live his life in a better way and is now its all over for him.
LIke Yasaburou said we all furballs in the end villains or heroes we all die and go to the same place. ( In other words life is too short )

Lots of respect to Yasaburou for forgiving him and ending his life here and there instead of letting him suffer (uncle wouldn't have done it for him) and just feeling sad for him because he is one of his own. And those shouts "DONT SHOOT" DONT SHOOT Hit me pretty hard. Here is what he said in the novel btw and i really felt sad just reading those lines *sob* *sob*

And Kaisei learning of her father's death and asking to stay with him hit me pretty hard as well. All in all i just listen to the ED song for 40th time or so and weeping.
May 30, 2017 9:36 AM

Nov 2013
Hirugiku said:
took me about 40 mins to finish this episde. tears just wouldnt stop ever since i spoiled myself that he died i saw constant flags for myself and just couldnt stop myself. it was so sad. Yes he was a shitty person who did many wrongdoings but i still felt so bad for him that he couldnt live his life in a better way and is now its all over for him.
LIke Yasaburou said we all furballs in the end villains or heroes we all die and go to the same place. ( In other words life is too short )

Lots of respect to Yasaburou for forgiving him and ending his life here and there instead of letting him suffer (uncle wouldn't have done it for him) and just feeling sad for him because he is one of his own. And those shouts "DONT SHOOT" DONT SHOOT Hit me pretty hard. Here is what he said in the novel btw and i really felt sad just reading those lines *sob* *sob*

And Kaisei learning of her father's death and asking to stay with him hit me pretty hard as well. All in all i just listen to the ED song for 40th time or so and weeping.

Do you really weep...? 😓

Like, reaally...?? 😶

😜
Jun 5, 2017 8:19 PM

Oct 2012
Benten is coming to ruin your onsen! That was so awkward xD

I didn't expect him to die
Even if he did terrible things
He have many children waiting for him, he shouldn't die that easily

Next ep is Kaisei's episode I guess?
Rayl1ghtJun 5, 2017 8:25 PM
"Signature removed"
Jul 5, 2017 3:03 PM

Oct 2012
Finally an episode worthy of the first season, kinda liked the episdode, for first time in this series.

Still, really don't know why he had to die, it felt like it was just for the sake of the story as his reason for being in the club was maybe logical but very very risky, something both of them should know. Not everything should be blamed on their tanuki idiotic attitude.

Benten-sama on the other hand was epitome of femme fatale this time, and her onsen visit and her stratagem to make Yasaburo join the club were very clever and daring.

Really shipping Kaisei with Yasaburo, wonder how she changes now.
Aug 3, 2017 6:03 PM

Aug 2012
-o fuck yea this hot spring's full of MEN
-alright that little cheeky grin yasaburo did while shaking soun's hand was pretty great
-did soun just try to fuckin assassinate jyurojin
-yodogawa's actually more interesting than i remember
-i just remembered that i really didn't like anything having to do with the friday club in the first season
-that was actually really anticlimactic

So basically this episode made me realize that my score for the first season of this might be way too high. The Friday Club/Fellows/Whateverthefuck were such a prominent part of the first season, and I was reminded of how boring their interactions are (especially because of Benten). Benten really does drag down the quality of the show whenever she shows up. Pretty much the only notable thing in this episode was the scene with Kaisei at the end (and only Kaisei). At least the OP and ED are decidedly above average in quality, and next episode seems to be dedicated to actual best girl.
Aug 25, 2017 9:58 AM

Jun 2009
Damn, I didn't expect that.
Nov 14, 2017 2:53 PM

Jan 2014
I didn't think he'd actually die. Then again, this show always does something I don't expect.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 23, 2017 2:47 PM

May 2012
Quite a nice episode, and what an ending! Looking forwards to see what's next.
Dec 7, 2017 10:03 PM

Mar 2015
At last, uncle Soun is gone!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 9, 2020 3:06 PM

Nov 2016
Woah, this became emotional hella quickly and what's more surprising, I started symphatizing with Ebisugawa, even after all he did and Yasaburou putting him to rest despite that very fact made for a nice scene at the end.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 14, 2020 11:12 AM

May 2016
I felt bad for him I will admit that.
Apr 16, 2021 1:39 PM

Aug 2016
A tragic, but fitting end for a Tanuki that killed his own brother.
So what now I wonder, does he eat the monthly hot pot or destroy the club from within.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why this show is still overrated?

Misanthropian - Apr 25, 2017

45 by blinddig »»
Mar 10, 8:32 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7, 2017

48 by blinddig »»
Mar 10, 8:07 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

113 by Atavistic »»
Jan 23, 2:51 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2017

51 by hanakocheeks »»
Feb 5, 2023 7:44 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2017

46 by hanakocheeks »»
Feb 5, 2023 7:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.