Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
May 21, 2017 1:55 AM
Oct 2016
Few months ago this movie WAS RANKED 11. NOW it shoot up to RANK 4!!! Do you guys THINK IT WILL BE THE SAME RANK AS KIMI NO NA WA??

I'm not saying this movie should beat Kimi no na wa…
I really LOVE BOTH MOVIES! LITERALLY!

It's just that I'm wondering whether Kimi no na wa and Koe no katachi will be the same rank…

What do you guys think????
May 25, 2017 3:44 PM

May 2013
I sure hope not because Kimi No Na Wa is better.
May 25, 2017 5:59 PM

Nov 2014
CRITIC_BOY said:
Few months ago this movie WAS RANKED 11. NOW it shoot up to RANK 4!!! Do you guys THINK IT WILL BE THE SAME RANK AS KIMI NO NA WA??

I'm not saying this movie should beat Kimi no na wa…
I really LOVE BOTH MOVIES! LITERALLY!

It's just that I'm wondering whether Kimi no na wa and Koe no katachi will be the same rank…

What do you guys think????
it has reached its peak score so i dont think it will happen, probably staying in top 6! but im happy its at top 10 same with kimi no na wa ^^
Siul-08May 26, 2017 6:40 AM
May 25, 2017 6:07 PM

Oct 2015
Ugoki said:
trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
May 25, 2017 6:26 PM
Apr 2016
It deserves at least second place. Bothe are great. Kimi no na Wa is better but Koe no Katachi is also a masterpiece
May 25, 2017 6:36 PM

May 2015
Ugoki said:

Nah, KnK is the better of the two.

May 25, 2017 6:39 PM

Aug 2013
I just watched that anime last night.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever
enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker,
or smarter. Everything is within.
Everything is exists.
Seek nothing outside of yourself
" - Musashi
miyamoto
May 25, 2017 8:06 PM

Oct 2016
shame of you if you think this can beat Kimi No Na Wa.
May 25, 2017 8:19 PM

Jan 2012
Doubt it. I'm already pretty happy with how high it's ranked anyway. Just getting in the top 10 is impressive, let alone the top 5.
May 25, 2017 11:24 PM

Sep 2011
OT: No. Your Name had more publicity and "hype" going into it. I'm sure it'll go down in scores just a little bit, but not by much. People think Your Name is some masterpiece when it isn't even close. It's far from that. It's a good movie, but it's nowhere near a 10/10. Your Name appeals more to the casuals than Koe no Katachi, and that's what drives its score so high.

Ugoki said:
Yeah, not really. Your Name doesn't use its plot to its fullest potential and is rushed at the the halfway mark. There's hardly any emotion to be had for the characters when shit goes down (At least, I had no emotion for said characters), and that's what makes it not so great. While the two have very different ways of approaching the shows theme, Silent Voice does it better.
TyrelMay 25, 2017 11:31 PM
May 26, 2017 12:26 AM

Jun 2016
Pffft. Koe no Katachi is a great quality movie, I mean it shouldn't be compared to trash like Kimi no Na Wa.

MasterWaffles said:
Hopefully it does! because Kimi no na wa is by far the most overrated anime in this site EVER!

TRUE DAT!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
May 26, 2017 12:50 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
No it's already been stuck at 9.17 for several days now. If anything it's more likely to start dropping from here on out when the people that were not so hyped about it that they had to watch it immediately after its BD release start watching it too. It'll probably be closer to 9.00 in a year's time I'd say

Kimi no Na wa still hasn't had its BD release, but due to its unusually extensive theatrical reach globally, it already has twice as many Completed listings as PTW, so its BD release will have a much smaller impact on its current score than most anime BD releases do. I could maybe see Kimi no Na wa dropping down to around FMA:B's score after its BD release but even that's a bit unlikely I'd say. But either way I highly doubt Koe no Katachi will ever reach up to Kimi no Na wa score-wise

Though really, can people please stop comparing Kimi no Na wa and Koe no Katachi already? Beyond the facts that they both happened to premiere at around the same time and that they're both high-rated, they have basically nothing in common. You don't have to "take a side" and praise one but hate the other. You can just honestly admit that they're both good movies regardless of which one you happen to prefer personally (I definitely think Kimi no Na wa was better personally for example but I'm not going to start trashing Koe no Katachi because of that, that's senseless)
May 26, 2017 2:12 AM

Mar 2009
I don't think it will. Both of them will probably go down by 0.1-0.2 points in the following months, but that's it.

HaXXspetten said:
Though really, can people please stop comparing Kimi no Na wa and Koe no Katachi already? Beyond the facts that they both happened to premiere at around the same time and that they're both high-rated, they have basically nothing in common. You don't have to "take a side" and praise one but hate the other. You can just honestly admit that they're both good movies regardless of which one you happen to prefer personally (I definitely think Kimi no Na wa was better personally for example but I'm not going to start trashing Koe no Katachi because of that, that's senseless)

I really don't understand this trend and would have a lot of trouble to compare them, except on things like animation and music. Just too different, but two movies I really loved.
May 26, 2017 2:24 AM

Apr 2015
No, it's starting to drop. The first score drop will happen after the next update. Hopefully it doesn't end up around lower 9.00 regions in one year time. 9.05-9.10 seems like a sweet spot.

HaXXspetten said:

Preach.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2017 2:57 AM

Sep 2011
HaXXspetten said:
"No." Just like how people keep comparing Gintama and FMA: Brotherhood and which one is best, this'll get compared, and more so at that. Doesn't matter if they explore different stuff than each other. Both are movies, and both are in the Top 10. Comparisons are going to happen, and you can still say which movie explored their theme better. It's not rocket science.

Both are good movies, but I, like others will still give our opinions on why we think X is better.
May 26, 2017 4:29 AM

Nov 2014
Tyrel said:
OT: No. Your Name had more publicity and "hype" going into it. I'm sure it'll go down in scores just a little bit, but not by much. People think Your Name is some masterpiece when it isn't even close. It's far from that. It's a good movie, but it's nowhere near a 10/10. Your Name appeals more to the casuals than Koe no Katachi, and that's what drives its score so high.

Ugoki said:
Yeah, not really. Your Name doesn't use its plot to its fullest potential and is rushed at the the halfway mark. There's hardly any emotion to be had for the characters when shit goes down (At least, I had no emotion for said characters), and that's what makes it not so great. While the two have very different ways of approaching the shows theme, Silent Voice does it better.

Thats true, we all can agree that Kimi no Na Wa is more mainstream and more viasual apealling in some ways, also a more fictionall plot, while Koe No Katachi is more realistic and not that mainstream also didnt had romance (some friends told me that a kiss at the end would have been nice and stuff like that, also a guy in the thetaer screamed "they didnt even kiss?". Still better than Kimi No Na Wa IMO
May 26, 2017 6:10 AM
Jan 2012
There are better animation films than Koe no Katachi (I think Tonari no Totoro is a better film :-) ), but both in animation quality, actor's works, direction, soundtrack, and content, Koe no Katachi is a clearly better film than Kimi no Na Wa (and you'd have to watch a lot of films, not just animation, to understand the qualitative difference). Having said that, Kimi no Na Wa was the most selling animation in Japan in 2016, and I am not surprised that it gained huge fans among young people. And whether anything is better than others to YOU is a very subjective issue. Some people just don't like the bullying theme; other people like fantasy involving body swaps, asteroids falling, and time lapse (which has many precedents, but why not).

McDonalds and Big Mac are the best selling burgers in the world. So if the best-selling or most popular means the qualitative best, McDonalds and Big Mac should be the best burgers (which clearly isn't to burger fans, although I understand the popularity of Big Mac, and believe that there is a certain quality to something which is popular).

People don't understand what is going on with Koe no Katachi's soundtrack, if they haven't heard Johan Sebastian Bach's Invention, Steve Reich, or Dead or Alive, and are watching it online with bad audio. It's the same thing with its animation; if people aren't careful enough, they don't see the quality in people's movements (particularly walking or running) which is rather poor than average in Kimi no Na Wa (even ripples in the river with koi fishes and fruits falling after an emotional brawl scene was stunning in Koe no Katachi), as well as cinematographic techniques involving framing, lighting, focus and blurs (which is very sophisticated and interesting in Naoko Yamada's direction. Makoto Shikai is a good and respectable director who I admire, and he has great challenging spirit considering that he started making animated films on his own, but ...).

I would have liked Kimi no Na Wa more if it had better animation, better voice acting, better use of cinematography and soundtrack (although its signature song is very nice), and content (if only it had a sort of bitter-sweet growing up ending, with the main character choosing to date the senpai and the memory slowly fading, as the happy ending was a bit too forced to fully enjoy for me! And also, it poorly addressed one issue which is acute in Japan, which is how to deal with fading memories of the lost ones in a natural disaster; Shinkai fell short on properly facing the issue although touching on it).

In This Corner of the World (Kono Sekai no Katasumi Ni) was the best animation film in Japan in 2016, as much as I like Koe no Katachi very much. I am alright with anyone personally liking Kimi no Na Wa over Koe no Katachi. Kimi no Na Wa is a fresh film with innocent emotions and rather good background scenery.
GohanwaOkazuMay 26, 2017 6:46 AM
May 26, 2017 6:45 AM

Aug 2008
Koe no Katachi currently has 65k completed.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/28851/Koe_no_Katachi/stats

Kimi no Nawa has 200k completed.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32281/Kimi_no_Na_wa/stats
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
May 26, 2017 7:39 AM

Apr 2016
If you ignore everything else, at least the kind of conclusion might be enough to justify "Kimi no na wa" being above.

Just compare the last minute of both movies, I would even say watch and compare the last seconds.
"The last feeling" is key to explain the ratings for many viewers (me included).

Both movies are great anyway.
May 26, 2017 7:43 AM

Jan 2017
i hope not it will be an insult for koe no katahi witch is 10x btter than kimi no nawa this movie should take the fist spotof kim no nawa
May 26, 2017 10:26 AM

Feb 2017
What is going on with KnK fans? Why are they soooo salty? If you guys like KnK more, you just need to say you like it more, insult Kimi doesnt make your favorite show better, it just make KnK fans more pathetic. Seriously this is even more cancer than waifu war in Re:Zero
May 26, 2017 1:34 PM
Nov 2016
Honestly, I watched both Kimi no Nawa and Koe no Katachi in local cinema which I highly preferred Kimi no Nawa than the latter one. The reason is lack of characters' story depths in KnK as they introduced many characters at once and cramming them into 2 hrs+ movie. I was lost in the movie and realisation of characters' reasoning as they hate the MC. You are not even that close with the MC and you acted that way. Duh....

Besides, I don't read Koe no Katachi manga and comparing KnW and KnK side by side as movies, I enjoyed Kimi no Nawa which I watched twice at cinema.
May 26, 2017 2:03 PM

Jul 2013
I enjoyed silent voice more than your name. Your name is just like AOT hype train while Silent voice is in the shadow
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2017 2:05 PM

Sep 2009
Haven't seen it, but hopefully it's better than the manga.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
May 26, 2017 5:01 PM

May 2013
starkfish said:
Honestly, I watched both Kimi no Nawa and Koe no Katachi in local cinema which I highly preferred Kimi no Nawa than the latter one. The reason is lack of characters' story depths in KnK as they introduced many characters at once and cramming them into 2 hrs+ movie. I was lost in the movie and realisation of characters' reasoning as they hate the MC. You are not even that close with the MC and you acted that way. Duh....

Besides, I don't read Koe no Katachi manga and comparing KnW and KnK side by side as movies, I enjoyed Kimi no Nawa which I watched twice at cinema.

That's another reason why I think Kimi no Na Wa is better. It's telling a movie story while KnK is telling a manga-length story. It feels cleaner as a result.
May 26, 2017 6:44 PM
May 2017
MortalMelancholy said:
Haven't seen it, but hopefully it's better than the manga.

Then you probably disappointed
May 26, 2017 7:21 PM

Feb 2014
nope Gintama is better

IrisBestGirl said:
What is going on with KnK fans? Why are they soooo salty? If you guys like KnK more, you just need to say you like it more, insult Kimi doesnt make your favorite show better, it just make KnK fans more pathetic. Seriously this is even more cancer than waifu war in Re:Zero
I was a big fan of the manga while it was still publishing, but this movie cut out too much (of the scenes that they already decided to animate) and the pacing was terrible. The voice acting was meh, and the dialogue was severely toned down. The movie didn't even take the time to actually explain what was going on in the beginning and just showed some filler shit. Maria still just as adorbs tho!
GenocyberMay 26, 2017 7:31 PM

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
May 27, 2017 4:35 AM

Feb 2016
It wont but it would have been really nice if it did.
The reason Kimi no na Wa is more popular than Koe no Katachi (other than being completely thrown to our faces with the way it was promoted) is because because it is more simple and happy making it a more pleasant watch for the normal audience and even for people that dont even watch anime. Basically having the Disney and Gibli effect.
While Koe no Katachi has a more complex story and characters, it also doesnt have any fantasy elements that people love being more realistic. The relationship of the main characters in KnK is more believeble than having two characters that never meet or interact before fall in love with each other (although that helps the fantasy genre). It also doesnt help the fact that KnK instead of being your typical love story is a slightly more complex view on human psychology.
KnnW's great animation comes from the wonderfull backgrounds and the incredible use of CG (in which Makoto Shinkai is better at) while the characters animation and expressions are not in the same level (5 centimetre per second was actually a disaster in this aspect but in Your Name Shinkai received help from great animators). Also acording to him the story had to have cuts and the plot shortened but since it didnt had a manga prior to it people dont notice it.
Koe uses animation, lack of sound, simbolism and directing has a way to tell its story making it diferent story telling wise than the manga but that doesnt make it worse. The movie cut out things and rearranged some scenes to make it fit well with the movie format making it better in some cases than the manga. The adaption couldnt have been better for the movie and the things that arent explained with words are still made obvious.
This review explains that in more detail - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/a-silent-voice/.108464
There a reason to why most complains comes from manga readers than movie only watchers. They should have already known that cuts would be made and they probably would never be satisfied with it no matter in how many ways it would be cutted or altered.
Despite that Koe no Katachi keeps wining awards (has much or more than Kimi no na Wa). Its themes and the fact that it is basically a criticism of social live and human interactions makes it easier to be given awards by critics even more that for it being a huge mega hit box office seller. There is also a reason why Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni never become popular but that is another topic.
OrehYnihsMay 27, 2017 4:39 AM
May 27, 2017 5:15 AM

Oct 2014
GohanwaOkazu said:
Having said that, Kimi no Na Wa was the most selling animation in Japan in 2016,

McDonalds and Big Mac are the best selling burgers in the world. So if the best-selling or most popular means the qualitative best, McDonalds and Big Mac should be the best burgers (which clearly isn't to burger fans, although I understand the popularity of Big Mac, and believe that there is a certain quality to something which is popular).

So you're saying Kimi no Na Wa is the McDonalds of anime movies, at least for 2016. No objections from me.

I think it's a shame that Koe no Katachi didn't do as well, but hopefully over time more people will give it a shot as it's gaining the traction it should've had last year.

Shinkai being attached to KnNw was a huge factor. Shinkai fanatics saw it in droves and there's no such equivalent for KnK. If he wasn't involved, it might be closer to KnK's success. KnK had to sell tickets based on its merits which is more difficult as merits require people to actually see the thing. It didn't have Shinkai's "star power" despite being done by Kyoto Animation and big names doing the voices. These two factors didn't stand a chance against KnNw which had Shinkai, hype beyond belief, the timing of coming out less than a month before KnK, and the internet singing its praises.
May 27, 2017 5:30 AM

Jun 2016
I don't think the score or rank is going to get higher, but I really hope that the score isn't going to drop a lot. It's a fantastic movie.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
May 27, 2017 5:33 AM

Feb 2016
Hayamin2 said:

I think it's a shame that Koe no Katachi didn't do as well, but hopefully over time more people will give it a shot as it's gaining the traction it should've had last year.

Shinkai being attached to KnNw was a huge factor. Shinkai fanatics saw it in droves and there's no such equivalent for KnK. If he wasn't involved, it might be closer to KnK's success. KnK had to sell tickets based on its merits which is more difficult as merits require people to actually see the thing. It didn't have Shinkai's "star power" despite being done by Kyoto Animation and big names doing the voices. These two factors didn't stand a chance against KnNw which had Shinkai, hype beyond belief, the timing of coming out less than a month before KnK, and the internet singing its praises.

Basically agree with all this.
May 27, 2017 5:49 AM

Apr 2015
Inuchiyo said:
was a big fan of the manga while it was still publishing, but this movie cut out too much (of the scenes that they already decided to animate) and the pacing was terrible. The voice acting was meh, and the dialogue was severely toned down. The movie didn't even take the time to actually explain what was going on in the beginning and just showed some filler shit. Maria still just as adorbs tho!

Man, I pretty much have to disagree with every single one of your points. They cut the right amount of scenes considering the length. Skipping the whole movie plot and Ishida's coma might be two of the best skipped choices as they dragged so much in the manga and inturn became boring. (They were the only reason why I gave 9/10 to the manga)

The voice acting was great. It had the realism in it, and each VA fitted their roles perfectly, especially Shouya. The movie did a great job in animating most of the things I couldn't understand in the manga. Especially why Nishimiya was suicidal. The whole focus of the movie was kept to Shouya which I especially liked, because the manga sometimes felt all over the place with introducing some random arcs.

Side characters might be underdeveloped but the whole point of the movie was to keep focus on Ishida's state of mind. The movie required the viewer to pay special attention to details. It lets you explore more with every re-watch. I loved most of the directive choices. The transitions between between past & present and character's imagination and reality were really pleasing to watch. The movie was really straightforward in presenting the story. All in all, I liked it more than the manga.

The manga might have had higher peaks, but it had lower bottoms as well. People tend to forget the less amazing parts.

I'd still love a TV series as well. I'm just a huge fan of the series.

CG-SilverMay 27, 2017 6:12 AM
May 27, 2017 6:49 AM

Apr 2009
CG-Silver said:
They cut the right amount of scenes considering the length. Skipping the whole movie plot and Ishida's coma might be two of the best skipped choices as they dragged so much in the manga and inturn became boring. (They were the only reason why I gave 9/10 to the manga)

The voice acting was great. It had the realism in it, and each VA fitted their roles perfectly, especially Shouya. The movie did a great job in animating most of the things I couldn't understand in the manga. Especially why Nishimiya was suicidal. The whole focus of the movie was kept to Shouya which I especially liked, because the manga sometimes felt all over the place with introducing some random arcs.

Side characters might be underdeveloped but the whole point of the movie was to keep focus on Ishida's state of mind. The movie required the viewer to pay special attention to details. It lets you explore more with every re-watch. I loved most of the directive choices. The transitions between between past & present and character's imagination and reality were really pleasing to watch. The movie was really straightforward in presenting the story. All in all, I liked it more than the manga.

The manga might have had higher peaks, but it had lower bottoms as well. People tend to forget the less amazing parts.

I'd still love a TV series as well. I'm just a huge fan of the series.

i agree with you on most parts. And it's true, after each re-watch the emotional impact of the movie is even stronger than upon the first watch, which is another thing that makes the movie so special. But I have to say that I got a deeper understanding of some things (especially Shouko and some of the other side characters) after I've read the manga. But I think the movie works very well as stand-alone medium, the manga helps to fill some gap if one wants to understand the other characters better. Also, the bullying and depiction of Shouya's depression were much heavier in the manga. Some people need to understand that a movie cannot cover everything from that manga, it's just impossible. And KyoAni did a great job in capturing the essence of the manga.
May 27, 2017 7:46 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
9.17 is the score's peak right now. For the past couple of days, it's been at the same spot. If anything, it'll will definitely start dropping a little bit.

Personally I liked Koe no Katachi and Kimi no Na wa equally, but for different reasons. And I prefer KnK's adaptation over the original manga for various reasons.
May 27, 2017 10:11 AM

Apr 2015
shiroi-ookami said:

i agree with you on most parts. And it's true, after each re-watch the emotional impact of the movie is even stronger than upon the first watch, which is another thing that makes the movie so special. But I have to say that I got a deeper understanding of some things (especially Shouko and some of the other side characters) after I've read the manga. But I think the movie works very well as stand-alone medium, the manga helps to fill some gap if one wants to understand the other characters better. Also, the bullying and depiction of Shouya's depression were much heavier in the manga. Some people need to understand that a movie cannot cover everything from that manga, it's just impossible. And KyoAni did a great job in capturing the essence of the manga.

Yup, I agree with you on that. That's why I mentioned that the peaks of manga are higher than the movie. Personally, I love both of them since they offer different things to like. The movie was more consistent and had a larger impact since I was able to watch it in one sitting so I have a slight preference for it. The manga did the childhood arc better though. As a manga reader, it exceeded my expectations since I was worried about the ending, but they managed to have a more fulfilling and more meaningful ending than the manga. It's impressive how they were able to handle and execute it so well.
May 27, 2017 11:24 AM

Apr 2009
CG-Silver said:
shiroi-ookami said:

Yup, I agree with you on that. That's why I mentioned that the peaks of manga are higher than the movie. Personally, I love both of them since they offer different things to like. The movie was more consistent and had a larger impact since I was able to watch it in one sitting so I have a slight preference for it. The manga did the childhood arc better though. As a manga reader, it exceeded my expectations since I was worried about the ending, but they managed to have a more fulfilling and more meaningful ending than the manga. It's impressive how they were able to handle and execute it so well.

Yes, I prefer the movie ending too, the moment when Shouya was finally able to forgive himself and let the world in instead of shutting it out when all he could feel was guilt and self-hatred... it was so touching, I couldn't help but shed some tears with him. It's great that you are satisfied with the movie adaption, since you're a manga reader. I first watched the movie then read the manga (I went into the theater without any prior knowledge other than it was a movie about bullying. The trailer may be misleading but I didn't expect it to be a romance). I notice that manga readers are more critical.
May 27, 2017 2:44 PM

Apr 2015
shiroi-ookami said:
CG-Silver said:

Yes, I prefer the movie ending too, the moment when Shouya was finally able to forgive himself and let the world in instead of shutting it out when all he could feel was guilt and self-hatred... it was so touching, I couldn't help but shed some tears with him. It's great that you are satisfied with the movie adaption, since you're a manga reader. I first watched the movie then read the manga (I went into the theater without any prior knowledge other than it was a movie about bullying. The trailer may be misleading but I didn't expect it to be a romance). I notice that manga readers are more critical.

You bloody nailed this point. I swear this is what I meant by a more meaningful and self-contained ending earlier. I would've even put it in the exact same words :)

Yes. Manga readers want the movie to contain every single point. They don't understand that the aim of the movie was to focus on a single subject. And they decided to focus on the most important point. Shouya's redemption in present time. For that, they had to give an idea about the past arc, rather than tell the same story word by word. And in my honest opinion, they adapted that wonderfully.
May 27, 2017 7:26 PM

Apr 2009
CG-Silver said:

You bloody nailed this point. I swear this is what I meant by a more meaningful and self-contained ending earlier. I would've even put it in the exact same words :)

Yes. Manga readers want the movie to contain every single point. They don't understand that the aim of the movie was to focus on a single subject. And they decided to focus on the most important point. Shouya's redemption in present time. For that, they had to give an idea about the past arc, rather than tell the same story word by word. And in my honest opinion, they adapted that wonderfully.

They did a great job with the ending, really. Everything was perfectly done, the animation, voice acting, the music. Some people say that the manga ending is better, but after reading it, I can't really agree to it. Glad that you think the same.:)
Couldn't agree more with you. The movie is so rich in its expression, you really need to pay attention to the details to pick up stuff that the movie doesn't outrightly spell out. As you said, it allows you to explore for more information when rewatching. A word by word adaption is not needed, it's in the details.
May 27, 2017 7:59 PM
Sep 2015
Should it be? No
Will it be? Yes
May 27, 2017 8:02 PM

Apr 2016
Of course everyone has their own opinion but in my opinion, Koe no Katachi was definitely better than Kimi no Na Wa. I enjoyed the story more than Kimi no Na Wa; I didn't like the concept of a somewhat time-traveling story.
May 27, 2017 8:29 PM

Sep 2011
shiroi-ookami said:
CG-Silver said:

They did a great job with the ending, really. Everything was perfectly done, the animation, voice acting, the music. Some people say that the manga ending is better, but after reading it, I can't really agree to it. Glad that you think the same.:)
Couldn't agree more with you. The movie is so rich in its expression, you really need to pay attention to the details to pick up stuff that the movie doesn't outrightly spell out. As you said, it allows you to explore for more information when rewatching. A word by word adaption is not needed, it's in the details.
There's also a lot of hidden things in the signs of the show (Which weren't translated). A translator told me a lot of little things that people who don't know Japanese or have them typeset will know. It makes the whole story just that much better.

For example:

http://puu.sh/w3d1A.jpg - Blue/red signs mean "Be thoughtful / Be Kind"
https://puu.sh/w0kpF.jpg - "Harmony is Important" in one of the signs when she starts singing too early.

There's a lot of small things that make the movie just that much better that you won't get from the official subs/current subs out, which is why I'm going to rewatch it when fansubs come out.
May 27, 2017 8:39 PM

Apr 2009
Tyrel said:

There's also a lot of hidden things in the signs of the show (Which weren't translated). A translator told me a lot of little things that people who don't know Japanese or have them typeset will know. It makes the whole story just that much better.

For example:

https://puu.sh/w0kpF.jpg - "Harmony is Important" in one of the signs when she starts singing too early.

There's a lot of small things that make the movie just that much better that you won't get from the official subs/current subs out, which is why I'm going to rewatch it when fansubs come out.

I wish someone would compile a list of what the flowers in some scenes mean. I know that Yamada-san intentionally put the flower scenes in the movie but I don't know flower language.
May 27, 2017 9:26 PM

Apr 2015
Tyrel said:

For example:

This movie just has an amazing re-watch value. Upon my latest re-watch, I noticed something which was quoted in the forums. When the whole class starts to sing, Nishimiya starts a little earlier. It was all due to Kawai pretending to start a little earlier which is why she is easily the worst. So many small details. There was also that scene where Ishida and Nishimiya go out right after Nishimiya's grandmother's death and Ishida gets glimpses of Nishimiya's past self when seeing her. Probably hinting that she still hasn't gotten over the past and is suicidal.

shiroi-ookami said:
Couldn't agree more with you. The movie is so rich in its expression, you really need to pay attention to the details to pick up stuff that the movie doesn't outrightly spell out. As you said, it allows you to explore for more information when rewatching. A word by word adaption is not needed, it's in the details

There is also this small music video if you haven't checked it out.
May 28, 2017 7:00 AM

Apr 2009
CG-Silver said:

There is also this small music video if you haven't checked it out.

I've seen the clip (I own the BD xD). It's sweet and a good addition to the movie, especially since there are some romantic implications in it which prob give those hoping for a more romantic ending a bit more satisfying feeling.;D
May 30, 2017 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
What? Koe no katachi is so cheesy movie and not even the best kyoani work.
I just dropped it at some point because it so bad and because that cheap ugly chromatic aberration effect (seriously wtf is this shit) hurts my eyes.
May 30, 2017 9:07 PM

Jul 2015
I think it won't be in the same rank with Kimi no Na wa.
While Kimi no Na wa could be accepted and enjoyed by everyone (Kimi no Na wa is more casual and have fantasy element), Koe no Katachi could not be enjoyed by everyone. I see some reasons about it.
First, it touched sensitive element like bullying that everyone could not enjoyed.
Then, the atmosphere which accompanied with mellow soundtrack create a dramatic situation while not everyone could enjoy.

Thou I enjoyed Koe no Katachi more that Kimi no Na wa, but I could say Koe no Katachi can't surpass Kimi no Na wa rank.
May 31, 2017 6:04 AM

Feb 2016
d445 said:
I just dropped it at some point because it so bad and because that cheap ugly chromatic aberration effect (seriously wtf is this shit) hurts my eyes.

Its funny that you say that, it almost makes it seem that you dont think that Kimi no na wa is cheesy or at all. The characters overreact and exagerate in their emotions most of the time. The thing were Kimi no na wa is good, animation wise is the amazing use of CG making the scenary and the backgrounds look fantastic, although the character movement and animation is not on the same level they are still good for a movie.
Koe no Katachi on the other hand is amazing in the way the characters are animated, we can know about their personalities or what they are thinking just by the way they move. Koe no Katachi's animation alone is already enough to tell its story
May 31, 2017 8:31 AM

Apr 2015
d445 said:

You may need to see a doctor for more than one reason.
May 31, 2017 2:28 PM

Sep 2011
d445 said:
And Your Name isn't cheesy? Uhhh... Lol.
Jun 5, 2017 11:47 AM

May 2013
Well, now it already descended to No. 6. Don't think it's going to go up again.

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.