Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2017 10:55 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Trying to tie the threads together, through some drawn strings. Soliciting feedback from Chihayafuru fans with interest in flower symbolism and Japanese customs in general. Not everyone has the time, right now, to dig into it, though we all have the interest. Putting this note here, in part as a place holder, because of the title page illustration of this chapter [edit: see below for image]. Because of Chihaya's elaborate hair ornaments in that image in particular. After a one page recap the elaborate Kimono too gives pause and invites closer examination before we even get into the main part of the chapter. We see Chihaya in the process of tying on her Tasuki but the knot isn't finished yet.

In the symbolism thread of another forum I said before that I would try not to make connections between the different versions of the story -manga, anime and live action- but sometimes they're so wrapped up and tied together -puns intended- that it can't really be avoided to address them together, I think. Separate but connected. Overlapping story elements and shared symbolism. Though not identical. Different in nuances and emphasis.

About the "Chihayafuru" poem by Ariwara no Narihira as pictured in the collection of poems hosted on the UVa website I wrote in yet another thread: "Where the poem comes with its own -curious- illustration": http://jti.lib.virginia.edu/japanese...ges/onna17.jpg

Through a recent tweet from Suetsugu-sensei, about a gift received from fans in May 2017, with photo, and all the sweets exchanged in her manga too, in elaborately wrapped boxes, those symbolic elements make this a topic here as well, I think. I hope someone can drop in with additional observations. In the manga the gift boxes come with personal notes written on top but I'm going to forget about those personal notes, for the moment. Personally, I'm most curious what others saw in the depicted items themselves, not even necessarily the contents but the packaging.

Interested in learning more about the symbolism of the specific "Noshi" and "Mizuhiki" and -to connect back to the title picture for this chapter with Chihaya- the symbolism of specific "Kanzashi" and ultimately "Musubi" through the strings which bind it all together. To the end knot chosen to conclude the live action series. To the double and triple layers of folded paper such as those above Narihira's head, above the lines of his poetry in the illustration for the seventeenth poem of the Ogura Hyakunin Isshu as hosted at UVa and to -what looks like and might be termed- "Tamamusubi" dangling from Chihaya's hair. All of which probably have more specific names too. To the double and triple meanings of words like that, when they sound the same but are written with different characters. To pivot words in other words, in another language, a language few Japanese speak fluently these days either. Is that a topic we can address, in the seemingly quiet second half of the fifth month of 2017?

[edit]The first page of this chapter was also posted on the Be Love twitter account. My comments are in part based on this image, for lack of a better term, the title page of Ch. 181:
removed-userJun 15, 2017 2:46 AM
May 21, 2017 8:28 PM
Mar 2015
Chihaya comes back against Hayami using a method of predicting which card would be read which she developed in the practice matches with Sudo
Hayami 's crying is cutoff by Yumin Hayam gives the bandage to Chihaya which she denied having during the match. Chihaya's toe problem is solved
When Chihaya asks Taichi how he did he says terrible even though he won by 12 cards
Harada reveals that Arata came to his club to practice. When Chihaya tries to pursue this news Taichi walks off
Sudo tries to bait Tacih about playing at Toudai, but Taichi says that he is still in Harada's club and counters with a bet that whoever loses first will quit karuta Sudo is stunned into silence
May 30, 2017 3:44 AM
Jul 2018
landofthekwt said:
Chihaya comes back against Hayami ...
"Ta" "Ma" is how the reader starts the recitation of the poem on which Setsuna Hayami commits her fatal fault to end her match with Chihaya. A match which could have gone on in more detail, and could have featured more calligraphy, more passionately splashed ink, as far as I'm concerned. Suetsugu-sensei made different choices.

The poem read can only be one poem ...
Tama no wo yo
taenaba taene
nagaraheba

Shinoburedo koto no
yohari mo zo suru

... and because of it I can't help but be drawn back to the title page for this chapter.

[edit]I've edited the first comment too, to add a link to the "title page" image behind a spoiler tag - at the end of the OP.
removed-userJun 15, 2017 2:54 AM
Jun 15, 2017 6:02 PM

Dec 2015
I still think that Taichi is doing all of this because he wants to stay in that world without running away. And in order to do that, then he must first do something about those sides of him that made him ran away.

And I think, he was following Sou not only to learn about his karuta but also about how he managed to stay in that world despite what everyone says about him. Since Sou is someone whom almost everyone in karuta world doesn't like, no one is cheering on for and someone whom everyone wanted to fail but still remain unaffected and kept on going.

What Taichi is doing reminds me a bit of what poker players does - to have a good poker face. In order not to let their opponents read them, then they must not only learn how to control their facial expressions but they also had to control their feelings to avoid showing any kind of reactions - be it disappointment or excitement. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be surprised or feel happy having the winning cards, if they got one then they will definitely feel happy, but it will only last for a few seconds because they have to control their feelings in order no to show any signs to their opponents.

At least that's how I see it...Taichi never showed his "real" face in this tournament to his opponent, he smile even though he obviously doesn't mean it. Completely different from the Taichi whom Nishida was able to read during their match.
And this current Taichi, slipped for a moment when Harada-sensei mentioned Arata. For a while, he showed a real emotion - he was surprised, interested and curious enough to listen to what Harada-sensei is going to say - even though he was about to leave at first.

I think the problem with this is, if he's planning to stay like that even outside the tournament. To build a wall around him - a way to protect himself. If no one can touch him then no one will be able to hurt him.
If he will not have that desperate need to win then there wouldn't be pain when he lose. Which is sad, because if there's no feelings at all - then in the end there will be nothing but emptiness.

Jun 17, 2017 8:53 AM

Oct 2012
might that be the "void" he was thinking about? That seems so terribly lonely......
Jan 26, 2021 3:59 PM

Jan 2019
Forget what I sad on a previous chapter, Taichi's new edgy personality is annoying
Aug 18, 2022 5:05 PM
Jun 2019
Ayase vs Sakurazawa OMG!

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.