Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 20, 2017 10:10 AM
Mar 2017
I know this place isn't the right place for this thread, but I've been inactive for weeks and this comes closest to a Japanese-related topic I can think of.

If someone wants to become Japanese, it's actually quite easy. Get a visa, live there for 5 years, and ask for citizenship. You can do it faster in only 3 years if you have a Japanese child, but my question would be... when they say only after three years with a child, do they mean starting from when the child is born or do the, say, 2 years before the child is born count too?

Let's say I'm 35, I come to Japan. At age 37, I get a child. At age 38, I can ask for citizenship.
Or do they mean, I'm 35. At age 36, I get a child. At age 39, I can ask for citizenship? Although that's 4 years, not 3 years, it's still 3 years from when the child is born.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 20, 2017 10:12 AM

Dec 2016
Show them your waifu bodypillow and I'm sure they'll cut your time down a bit.

What's the difference?
May 20, 2017 10:17 AM

Jun 2011
Just eat a Japanese person. It works for Kirby.
May 20, 2017 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
Are your parents Japanese? No? You can't change that. Just live there, if you really want to, but don't take advantage of a poor child for your weeaboo-existence. o.o
removed-userMay 23, 2017 9:11 AM
May 20, 2017 10:22 AM

Jun 2015
Have a watch of this video, seems somewhat simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkO8lwHrLZE&t=494s
May 20, 2017 10:24 AM

Jan 2017
why would u want to be Japanese in the first place u weeb
May 20, 2017 10:38 AM

Jun 2015
The fastest way to becoming japanese would be to be born japanese, I imagine.

May 20, 2017 10:42 AM

Feb 2015
Fastest way to become a Japanese

Die and reborn as a Japanese

codephat said:

WHY?!

NO!

You just ninja'ed me!

:(
May 20, 2017 10:43 AM

Sep 2009
Narmy said:
Just eat a Japanese person. It works for Kirby.

LOL that's definitely the best answer.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
May 20, 2017 10:45 AM

Jun 2015
_Ako_ said:

codephat said:

WHY?!

NO!

You just ninja'ed me!

You weren't fast enough to say the fastest way.

May 20, 2017 10:47 AM

Feb 2015
codephat said:
_Ako_ said:

WHY?!

NO!

You just ninja'ed me!

You weren't fast enough to say the fastest way.

Don't blame me for staring at mah waifu... :/
May 20, 2017 11:03 AM
Mar 2017
I don't have to be Yamato to be Japanese. Ainu are Japanese, too, after all -- native (as in aboriginal) at that.
May 20, 2017 11:16 AM

Aug 2013
Fastest way I believe is to place blood of a Japanese person on a katana and then slash your arm with it. Allow the Japanese blood to flow into the wound and after a few hours you should become Japanese.
May 20, 2017 11:20 AM

Dec 2014
Having Japanese ancestry.
Having a kind of study licenciement I've forgotten about, but I think It's hard to do. It's academic.
Marry a Japanese.

I think there's another way(s) but I can't recall.

Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
May 20, 2017 3:03 PM

May 2017
watch lot's off anniemay and chinese mangos
May 20, 2017 3:10 PM

Jun 2016
I have a co-worker who lived and worked in Japan for 10 years, married a Japanese wife, had a son born in Japan, speaks fluent Japanese, and he said it would still be incredibly difficult for him to become a Japanese citizen.

For what that's worth.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
May 20, 2017 3:22 PM
Jan 2013
get some tape and use em to stretch the sides of your eyes
gone bai bai
May 20, 2017 3:57 PM

Nov 2016
You guys are forgetting that transrace is starting to become a thing. TS could totally become a Japanese person now.
May 21, 2017 10:11 AM

May 2013
Why on earth should I want to become Japanese

May 21, 2017 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
get a knife and stab yourself in the eyes then drag it horizontally to make yourself appear japanese then say ching chong ching chong to every asian you meet.

May 21, 2017 1:24 PM
Feb 2016
Dirty gaiko stay out of my Nihon.
It's way overcrowded as is, we don't need filthy gaijin using up space.
Wait for when they build some seasteads surrounding Nihon to visit.
May 21, 2017 2:21 PM

Jan 2009
Maneki-Mew said:
Are your parents Japanese? No? You can't change that. Just live their, if you really want to, but don't take advantage of a poor child for your weeaboo-existence. o.o
This. Why can't others understand that you can't become another Ethnicity just because you wish so?

The most one can do is to assimilate into the Culture (including Name Change) and to get Citizenship State, so that the Descendants will eventually be regarded as being of the native Culture, provided they don't look much different than the Natives. But the Persons themselves can never be regarded as belonging to the same People other than in legal Terms because of the Citizenship, since they haven't even grown up into the Culture. If there's not even a direct Family Connection with a specific Ethnicity where you've grown up with that Culture, you simply aren't of that specific Ethnicity.
May 21, 2017 2:22 PM

Jul 2013
wow so many trolls here.

I think it's probably 3 years after child is born but im not positive about it. better be safe i guess.
May 21, 2017 4:05 PM
Dec 2014
@Ginniyuriham

I am pretty sure that is not how it works.

Source: http://www.tokyoimmigration.jp/eng/kika.html
http://www.moj.go.jp/ENGLISH/information/tnl-01.html

Both source only mention 5 years (and at least 80% of that time) with no exemption for having a child. And there are quite a few other requirements on top of it, namely Japanese language competency. For most people, I would that the requirements "easy" albeit reasonable.

As to people who wonder why anyone might want to naturalise as a Japanese citizens, there are plenty of practical reasons. Makes it easier to settle there with no restrictions, buy land, switch job as you like (especially if you are unmarried and therefore without spouse visa). Japan's passport is 5th in the world as far as visa free travel is concerned so it might be a big upgrade in convenience depending on where you are based. And to be honest, I don't get why it is such an issue if someone ends up loving a country that differs from the place of birth be it Japan, or another place. Or immediately assume that it is only for their pop culture.

Though for myself, I am more interested in permanent reidency than citizenship as I have an interest in starting a business here, but no desire to give me all my other citizenships just for one.

@Noboru
"Japanese" can both refers to both the ethnicity and the citizenship.
For myself, I only usually refer/talk about/care about to citizenships. It is the only thing with any legal relevance. Not to mention, that anything else is a messy can of worm.
AxBattlerMay 21, 2017 4:21 PM
May 21, 2017 9:32 PM

Jan 2009
AxBattler said:
For myself, I only usually refer/talk about/care about to citizenships. It is the only thing with any legal relevance. Not to mention, that anything else is a messy can of worm.
I know, but mere Citizenship alone without ever belonging to the Ethnicity could be disadvantageous for Foreigners. Just because you're legally accepted as Part of a People doesn't mean that you're socially accepted as one of them. And the latter can make your Life easier or harder.
May 21, 2017 9:40 PM

Aug 2009
Step 1: Start Watching Anime
Step 2: Talk to a Japanese Person
Step 3: Learn Japanese
Step 4: Apply for Japanese Visa
Step 5: Go to Japan
Step 6: Jump into a nuclear reactor.

Congrats now you're Japanese!

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 21, 2017 9:45 PM

Apr 2017
im sorry but you do not meet the japanese strict waifu only policy on immigration, try again next life
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
May 21, 2017 9:50 PM

Aug 2008

Can't resist to post this picture here.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
May 21, 2017 10:12 PM

Jun 2016
Become Japanese overnight with this one simple step: Say "Notice me senpai!" three times in the mirror. Konata Izumi from Lucky Star will grab your hand and drag you to the magical land of Japan where you'll be welcomed as one of them!
May 21, 2017 10:20 PM
Nov 2015
Scientists prove that putting a sushi inside your pillow before sleeping will make you japanese.
IHTDHEHEH
May 21, 2017 10:23 PM

May 2013
masturbate furiously. You know like the song :T
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 21, 2017 10:43 PM

Mar 2008
xrockxz89 said:

You mean this one song?

maybe this cover
May 21, 2017 10:50 PM

Aug 2014
LoneWolf said:
Step 1: Start Watching Anime
Step 2: Talk to a Japanese Person
Step 3: Learn Japanese
Step 4: Apply for Japanese Visa
Step 5: Go to Japan
Step 6: Jump into a nuclear reactor.

Congrats now you're Japanese!

Damn that escalated quickly.

On the point why japan?
If i want to choose a country i would choose Canada.

Canadian > Everything
May 21, 2017 11:20 PM

Oct 2016
kill yourself and hope for the best, maybe you'll reborn as a fresh japanese
May 21, 2017 11:21 PM

May 2013
traed said:
xrockxz89 said:

You mean this one song?

maybe this cover

that's the one xD

as VH1 I <3 the 80's told us, it's because your eyes get all squinty when you jizz.

Definitely a bit of a racist song but I think it's intentions were pure? IDK it's catchy.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 22, 2017 12:17 AM
Jul 2018
Commit sudoku and you'll be a proud citizen of Nippon in no time
May 22, 2017 5:02 AM
Mar 2017
Noboru said:
Maneki-Mew said:
Are your parents Japanese? No? You can't change that. Just live their, if you really want to, but don't take advantage of a poor child for your weeaboo-existence. o.o
This. Why can't others understand that you can't become another Ethnicity just because you wish so?
For heaven's sake, I didn't say I'm going to paint myself yellow because I want to become Yamatojin. I'm already citizen of a country not of my ethnicity. Becoming Japanese wouldn't be that different. With an exception of hundreds of anime film, I've only watched 19 anime series, so I'm not much of an "Otaku" either.

I already said this: being Japanese is not the same as Yamato. Japan has a variety of ethnicities, including Ryukyuan and Ainu (who look like European). Not to mention the hundred of thousand Latino-Japanese in Japan. I don't even want to live in Honshu, but in Okinawa or Hokkaido due to my study of Ainu Itah or Miyako. There's literally over a million of minorities living in Japan.
Noboru said:
Just because you're legally accepted as Part of a People doesn't mean that you're socially accepted as one of them. And the latter can make your Life easier or harder.
I hear this so much from westerners like yourself. I think it's a misconception deriving from American propaganda dating to WW2. Making Japan seem like this remnant of idealist Nazi culture with a total disgust of "gaijin." I know many Japanese (in Japan) and they couldn't care less about you being foreign. They don't even twitch an eye unless you're black. The only racists are the countrysides equivalent to Yankee southerners. People in Japan don't go and literally think of themselves as sunny children.
DanteMasterMay 22, 2017 5:10 AM
May 22, 2017 5:08 AM
Mar 2017
AxBattler said:
@Ginniyuriham

I am pretty sure that is not how it works.

Source: http://www.tokyoimmigration.jp/eng/kika.html
http://www.moj.go.jp/ENGLISH/information/tnl-01.html

Both source only mention 5 years (and at least 80% of that time) with no exemption for having a child. And there are quite a few other requirements on top of it, namely Japanese language competency. For most people, I would that the requirements "easy" albeit reasonable.

As to people who wonder why anyone might want to naturalise as a Japanese citizens, there are plenty of practical reasons. Makes it easier to settle there with no restrictions, buy land, switch job as you like (especially if you are unmarried and therefore without spouse visa). Japan's passport is 5th in the world as far as visa free travel is concerned so it might be a big upgrade in convenience depending on where you are based. And to be honest, I don't get why it is such an issue if someone ends up loving a country that differs from the place of birth be it Japan, or another place. Or immediately assume that it is only for their pop culture.

Though for myself, I am more interested in permanent reidency than citizenship as I have an interest in starting a business here, but no desire to give me all my other citizenships just for one.

@Noboru
Thank you for being one of 3 comments that didn't smell of waste.

From your link, Article 6, it says: (1) One who has had a domicile or residence in Japan for three consecutive years or more and who is the child of a person who was a Japanese national (excluding a child by adoption);

That's what I was talking about in my thread. If I don't have any children now and won't get one (who would be nationally Japanese because of his/hers mother) until my second year of staying in Japan, would I be qualified to ask for citizenship the next year?
May 22, 2017 9:01 AM
Dec 2014
@DanteMaster

It says there “One who has had a domicile or residence in Japan for three consecutive years or more and who is the child of a person who was a Japanese national”. My understanding of that, is it refers to the child, not the non-Japanese parents.

And I think the reason for that, is that unlike a number of other countries, being born here does not guarantee nationality. Last I checked (not sure if it is still true but it was many years ago), if two, let’s say British (feel free to replace that with whatever you like) have a kid while working in the US, the child would automatically acquire American nationality. But if the same would not be true if the child was born in Japan. So they have provisions to establish when a child is entitled to the Japanese nationality, some of which requiring the child to be in Japan for 3 years (amongst other thing).

Saying that, I have read elsewhere that marriage could also cut the 5 years to 3 years shortcut (no legal requirements for kids). But since it isn't mentioned in either of the two links above, better consult a professional (even if the time is shortened, there might still be other requirements to be satisfied).
May 22, 2017 9:08 AM

Apr 2015
Even if you're legally a citizen, you'll always have gaijin blood.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 22, 2017 10:07 AM

Jan 2009
DanteMaster said:
I hear this so much from westerners like yourself. I think it's a misconception deriving from American propaganda dating to WW2. Making Japan seem like this remnant of idealist Nazi culture with a total disgust of "gaijin." I know many Japanese (in Japan) and they couldn't care less about you being foreign. They don't even twitch an eye unless you're black. The only racists are the countrysides equivalent to Yankee southerners. People in Japan don't go and literally think of themselves as sunny children.
They may say so on a personal Level, but on a professional Level when you want to get a Promotion/a good Job or when you want to rent a Flat, you have much better Chances if you

a) have a Japanese Name and b) look Japanese.

I wasn't implying that they would start to bully you just because of your foreign Ethnicity, I was just saying that they have a strong Sense of Ethnicity where the ones from the own People can expect to have better Cards in Japan.
May 22, 2017 11:05 AM
Dec 2014
Xaelath said:
On the point why japan?
If i want to choose a country i would choose Canada.

Canadian > Everything

Having lived in both they are my favourite and second favourite countries so far (out of 8 lived and 30+ visited).. but with Japan on top.

Some of the top reasons I like both happens to be my love for mountains and winter sports. Canada has some of the largest resorts, Japan has some of the best snow, I give the edge to the quality.

I am also willing to take the earthquakes for the hotsprings. Not everyone might make that trade, but I do. Hot tubs have nothing on hot springs during the winter.

As far as I am concerned, Japanese food stomps. Tried poutine a few times and while perfectly edible it’s pretty ordinary. To be fair West Canada has some of the best salmon I have tried, but other than that, I ain't too impressed. Japan has great seafood, the best beef out of anywhere, produce some amazing fruits, and frankly even the fast food tastes good etc. Now of course, you can find all kind of cuisine in both countries, but from fast food to Michelin resturants, I am still giving Japan an edge.

The service is the best I have seen anywhere. From airlines to post office and convenience shops, they stomp. A few years here has spoiled me so much that everywhere else, even when passable, feels mediocre a lot of the time.

I can actually keep going on but it isn't fun typing on my phone so I will leave it here for now. Yeah in terms of population density it is almost the polar opposite of Canada, and I get that it's a deal breaker for some. While I -do- prefer less densely populated places, I am quite fine with crowds too and will be quite happy in some slightly less crowded cities in Japan. There are other downsides too, some which are avoidable and others which aren't, but once after weighting everything, Japan is, at the moment topping my list.
May 22, 2017 11:42 AM

Jun 2015
Mkim said:

D-Did it work??

@ OP, I don't get the point of naturalising into a Japanese citizen if you're only there for study?
May 22, 2017 11:48 AM
Dec 2014
Noboru said:
I know, but mere Citizenship alone without ever belonging to the Ethnicity could be disadvantageous for Foreigners. Just because you're legally accepted as Part of a People doesn't mean that you're socially accepted as one of them. And the latter can make your Life easier or harder.

I get the point you are making. But to me it is no reason to assume that someone "wishing to become Japanese" is referring to the ethnicity as opposed to citizenship and or to jump at the person without knowing the reasons.

While you have pointed a valid potential challenge, it is not a -given- that it will be relevant to the individual. For instance, I personally do not really care about being accepted by -everyone-. Being accepted within my fairly large social circle, is enough for me. I may not be accepted for every job or every appartments (though I note that I always got my first choice when it came to appartments), but I was able to find a job that matches my skillset without demotion / getting paid less. I was asked, I kid you not, by some folks in my social circle whether I wouldn't be interested in marrying their (adult) daughter. While I am sure that there might be parents terrified with the idea of me even dating their daughter, at least some aren't worried that I am not Japanese .

Naturalising (which I do not intend to as explained in the previous post), I suspect, wouldn't change any that. On the other hand, it would provide a number of legal rights available only to citizens, which might.. or might not be useful / make life easier. And if a person is already determined to settle in another country (or spend a lot of time in that country) after weighing all the pros and cons, it makes sense to weigh the pros and cons.
May 22, 2017 12:49 PM

Jan 2009
AxBattler said:
I get the point you are making. But to me it is no reason to assume that someone "wishing to become Japanese" is referring to the ethnicity as opposed to citizenship and or to jump at the person without knowing the reasons.
Maybe I have a different Understanding, but "Japanese" always refers to the Ethnicity. OP could have specified that they wanted to obtain the Japanese Citizenship and not becoming a Part of the (ethnic) Japanese People.

But well, now that it's clear as Day that OP meant getting the Japanese Citizenship, I'd like to add that I've never intended to stop anyone from their Life Decisions. I was just pointing out some possible Hurdles. Not everyone is a STEM Major from a high-class University or has some other highly sought for Profession or has some Connections.
May 22, 2017 4:17 PM
Dec 2014
@Noboru

As far as I am concerned, "Japanese" can mean any of the following:

- Japanese national (citizen)
- Ethnic Japanese
- Japanese language
- Something made in Japan

Through context, we can usually separate the last two. And that leaves the first two. What is curious I suppose is that whereas I default Japanese to nationality and would use “ethnic Japanese” when talking about ethnicity, whereas you default to ethnic Japanese and use “Japanese citizen” when talking about nationality.

This might be down to our own bias, personally, I identify myself with nationality more than ethnicity as I think that we are shaped by our environment more than our blood heritage. Of course, in practice most Japanese citizens are ethnic Japanese, but I feel that using that as a basis to associate Japanese with ethnicity would be ignoring all the ethnic minorities some of whom may have known no other cultures (e.g. born there or moved there at an very early age).

The other reason I refer to ethnicity as a can of worm I am keen to avoid is because I feel that it is just not cleanly defined as nationalities. If you look at the census form in a Western country, chances are, it will have one box for "Chinese" and one box for "Japanese". Yet those countries (especially in the case of China), recognise many more ethnicities within the country yet if they were to go abroad, they would probably be expected to tick that Chinese box.
May 22, 2017 5:35 PM
Jan 2013
Tomato said:
Mkim said:

D-Did it work??
[im3123123g]http://funnypictures1.fjcdn.com/comments/Lmao+this+dude+got+psyduck+s+tape+eyes+_d47f445daba06e0fa3d265b5d9b2624d.jpg[/img]

@ OP, I don't get the point of naturalising into a Japanese citizen if you're only there for study?
Grats you did it you racist burn in shaaame burn in helllll
gone bai bai
May 22, 2017 5:49 PM

Dec 2014
Noboru said:
AxBattler said:
Again, being socially accepted or not, your indentity doesn't need to recieve public opinion, if it's on law, it is on law. Also how the could it be dissadvantageous? That's totally subjective, and it can varie from person to person, culture to culture.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
May 22, 2017 5:53 PM

Dec 2012
OP. You can be Japanese within 24 hours, you just need to buy a plane ticket to Japan and not come back, nobody's gonna bother to find ya. Not the government, not your home country, not even your parents.

May 22, 2017 9:41 PM

Jan 2013
If you think moving to Japan is going to make you a happier person you need to reflect on yourself. Don't try to escape your existence. Find happiness now and embody it before you move anywhere.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - 8 hours ago

12 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago

» Will aliens finally appear this century?

Absurdo_N - Apr 7

46 by Hikinekomori »»
1 hour ago

» Global enviroment ( comments )

SyrupPastryNice - 11 hours ago

11 by KittenCuddler »»
1 hour ago

» How do you process death?

Lightskynight - Apr 14

35 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Today

9 by Rurihime »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.