Forum Settings
Forums

Tips for writing Light Novel? (And looking for artist)

New
May 19, 2017 9:03 PM

Sep 2016
Yo! First, if I'm posting it on the wrong place, please tell me, that's my first topic on MAL's forum. ^^'

Well, straight to point, I'm starting writing a light novel and since I don't have basically any experience on writing, I'm looking for some advice. I'm using what I've read as base, but I've only read about 2 or 3 light novels, so that's not enough to have full knowledge of what I'm doing.
I know the basics of writing and everything, I watch a lot of anime and movies and read some normal books (such as Harry Potter and Resident Evil), so I might have some base on storytelling, but actually writing is something different.

Well, what I'm thinking will be the most difficult part is the battles, character development and not losing the structure of what makes an light novel.

So, I would love to get some advice about writing an story (since it'll be a long story, that's REALLY important), how to develop characters, some "don't do that" and "do that' about novels/light novels, and as I said, writing the battles and fighting scenes (that's really a pain)

My idea for the last part for now is basically, keeping track of the scenario where the battle happens, not losing the context of why is it happening and not making the characters look more or less powerful than they actually are, maintain consistency in the characters, avoid protagonism at max and ALWAYS using the battles to fill the story. (Those are kinda my rules for now, if you have something to say or add about it, I would love to know!)

So please, I ask for some advice, even if what you have to say wasn't mentioned above, just tell your opinion on what you think is necessary for an story to be good, and what makes you interested on an light novel (or usual novel, whatever, it's all about the story)

And also, I'm looking for an artist (Anime style, pls), and I'm willing to pay, but since this is an no-profit project, I wouldn't be able to pay much, but if you're interested in negotiating, tell me!

sorry if my english is bad or if I said something wrong, it's not my first language, but I hope you understand everything I said. ^^'
VictorenMay 19, 2017 11:57 PM
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
May 19, 2017 10:56 PM

Mar 2015
Victoren said:
So, I would love to get some advice about writing an story (since it'll be a long story, that's REALLY important), how to develop characters, some "don't do that" and "do that' about novels/light novels, and as I said, writing the battles and fighting scenes (that's really a pain)

My idea for the last part for now is basically, keeping track of the scenario where the battle happens, not losing the context of why is it happening and not making the characters look more or less powerful than they actually are, maintain consistency in the characters, avoid protagonism at max and ALWAYS using the battles to fill the story. (Those are kinda my rules for now, if you have something to say or add about it, I would love to know!)

Having been writing plenty of fight scenes, I do admit that battles are the trickiest thing to write. I have the tendency to fall into the blow-by-blow trap when it comes to choreography.

As a rule of thumb, I've always been using these criteria when writing a fight scene (cred to Writer's Digest):
- Fights must serve a narrative purpose. Does it advance the plot and/or give more characterization to the characters? The important question in this part is, "If you remove the fight scene, does the storyline completely fall apart?" If the answer is all no, it means the fight scene is unnecessary.
- Fights are about character and emotion. This is, by far, the most important aspect in a fight scene. Fights with just cool choreography and explosions are meaningless, especially in a writing. Make the readers know more about your characters' personality in the fight. Make the readers put themselves in the characters' shoes.
- Think camera tricks. Well, choreography. It's not like you need to describe everything down to the smallest detail. Give the readers enough clues so that they can choreograph things by themselves. For this, I like using a short snappy "Thud!" or any other onomatopoeias to do the trick. Quick and manage to give enough clues most of the time. :)

For stylistic stuff in fight scenes, use short and snappy sentences and paragraphs. Concise word choice is very important here. Fights are fast-paced to keep the tension high, but don't be too fast or the tension will diminish because the readers fail to follow them.

My personal and biggest do in fight scenes is the struggle. One-sided fights are often boring, so don't be afraid to hurt the protagonist or even make the protagonist lose horribly. For the latter, I mean giving the protagonist a physical handicap that may or may not be permanent.

The best way to improve fight scene is to read another fight scene written by someone else, especially published authors. What aspects in the fight scene draw you to reading it until the end?

As for character development, character development is different from giving characters their own characterizations. It''s how a character changes throughout the story/making a dynamic character. In a story, this often takes a long time and has to be subtle.

I'm actually pretty guilty of this one since I never have the patience for it. As a result, I tend to stick with static characters. However, I do find out that static characters can just be as interesting as dynamic characters. Just pick a trait of a static character and give it a twist, such as this one for a loyal character (cred to Writers Helping Writers):

- Instead of blind loyalty, show the conflict of a truly loyal person torn between supporting the one they love and adhering to another valued ideal (the truth, the law, another important relationship).

- Loyal characters tend to attract other loyal characters. Make life difficult for your character by pairing him with someone who does not value loyalty, or someone who is equally loyal to an opposing person or ideal.

- How about a loyal character who has another, equally strong character trait that makes it difficult for him to be loyal?
Loitering around FFnet and AO3

May 19, 2017 11:47 PM

Sep 2016
@The_Biologist
Well, seems like we follow basically the same rules! I've wrote an "Rules for Battles" that I'll follow on every battle I write, and it follows sort of what you said, so I think I'm in the right path for the moment. xD

About character development, I'm having some troubles at thinking the goals of my characters (specially the protagonist), because even though I have it, it's a goal that can be, how do I say, a bit "empty"? I don't know, it just doesn't feel right, you know... So it's hard to plan much development, at least when he achieves what I plan to be his "first goal"... This first goal might actually ending up being his whole "plot goal". xD

And I'm still thinking about the end, usually I tend to make stuff having only the structure of the plot and the beginning, and then I work my way to the end while I'm progressing my story, but I want to have at least an idea of how to end it, even if I change it later...

Also, you gave me actually an nice idea there in the end, since my protagonist is a loyal character, he has some traits that I can play with in the aspect, using other characters and everything...

Thanks for your reply, it helps a lot! :3
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
May 20, 2017 8:40 AM

Dec 2015
What The_Biologist said. I'd add a few things for a fight scene:

Don't be afraid to describe the wounds and especially the physical pain felt by the characters, unless the characters can't feel pain. If it's the case of the latter, focus more on the descriptions of the wounds. Other senses tend to be stronger than visuals, so some aspects of flowing blood (sticky, smells like iron) are often handy.

My biggest no in fight scenes are deus ex machina and asspulls. They just nullify all the tension built in the fight scenes.

I wonder if you can post an excerpt of your work here, especially the fight scene. I'd like to see it.
"Who wouldn't want to be like me? Handsome and free like a bird in a tree! Badaboom!"
May 20, 2017 5:44 PM

Sep 2016
@impmontamer03

Well, I'll have to translate it first (I'm writing on my native language, portuguese), but I'm still on chapter one and haven't been any real battle yet, (there was a conflict, but a 'fight' didn't actually happened), but I'll get someone to translate it as I write (so I won't stop writing to translate it) and then I can post it. ^^

And yeah, asspulls are terrible, I forget to add that to my rules. xD
Also, sorry, but what exactly does an 'deus ex machina' means?
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
May 20, 2017 6:29 PM

Dec 2015
Deus ex machina is an asspull used to resolve an unwinnable condition. Actually, these two aren't so different.

Mmmkay. Looking forward to see your work. :)
"Who wouldn't want to be like me? Handsome and free like a bird in a tree! Badaboom!"
May 20, 2017 10:22 PM

Sep 2016
@impmontamer03

Oh, I see... Well, I already hate asspull, I think that making something out of convenience is a shame and can destroy the whole thing, so I'm going to avoid this at max. ^^
And thanks! I'll see if I can translate at least the prologue, but keep in mind that I've never actually wrote anything, except for a horror fanfic some years ago (like, 2013 I think), so as an amateur, I'm still looking for feedback to improve my work. :3
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
May 20, 2017 11:26 PM

Dec 2015
What fandom is it? I like reading fanfics without being familiar with the fandom.
May 20, 2017 11:38 PM

Sep 2016
impmontamer03 said:
What fandom is it? I like reading fanfics without being familiar with the fandom.

It was a Brony fanfic, back when I was still making content on the Brony fandom and everything... xD
Now that I think of it, this fanfic probably helped me a lot on writing and storytelling in general. :v
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
May 20, 2017 11:55 PM

Mar 2015
Victoren said:
Now that I think of it, this fanfic probably helped me a lot on writing and storytelling in general. :v

As a fanfic writer myself, I agree with this. Writing fanfics takes less time than writing original works, so I can get detailed feedback more quickly...only that you need to find someone who is willing to read and review your works fandom blind. Can be usually found in review games (review tag or review exchange), but this also requires you to be willing to read something fandom blind.

I learn a lot from fandom blind reviewers actually, since they're more likely to comment on the style/syntax/technical stuff.

May 28, 2017 8:38 AM

Jul 2016
ok, so as someone who did write a Light Novel myself , my only advice is to do it the way you feel comfy about , Light Novel isn't something that needs to be so complex in my opinion.

I did read some light novels , and some of them had the tendency to do narrative in a rather slow manner, to me novels like these can became boring rather quickly .

when I wrote my novel I decided to use the straight to the point kind of narrative so it would gave the feeling of a fast pace story telling .

in the end i'm not saying you should copy me or others, do it the way you feel good about it.

just don't try to imitate others, that won't end up well , also avoid cliches as much as you can.
May 29, 2017 12:41 PM

Sep 2016
@Raptors0verlord
Yeah, I tend to avoid cliches, or use it to make humor ABOUT cliches (kinda like a critic), it's good to know that people prefer that way.
Also, do you have some examples of slow and fast narrative, in your conception? I don't exactly understand how I can avoid too slow or too fast narrative...

Btw, is your novel anywhere on the internet? I would like to take a look. ^^
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
Jun 2, 2017 7:05 PM

Jul 2016
@Victoren

sorry for late reply, I don't visit this site too much , for the first question, here is an example of a fast narrative and a slow one starting with slow :

Slow :
As he made his way to his bedroom ,everything seemed quite as if the whole world outside has vanished leaving nothing but the void , he slowly walk up the stairs , his footsteps made the only sounds he could hear for this night ,reaching the upper floor and from there he continued his march , there finally was the door that was the saving grace for his eyes , he reach for the door knobs, he froze in place as he hears a sudden sound from downstairs.

Fast:
HE makes his way to his bedroom on the upper floor, but as he tries to open the door ,a sound from downstairs is heard.

Normally I have the tendency to switch between these two narrative, but thats just me .

as for the LN I wrote, only the first chapter was transolated, the illustration wasn't also provided since there was no way to, you can check only the first chapter and the prologue here
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1566484&show=0#post1
Jun 3, 2017 3:15 AM

Mar 2015
Speaking of narrative pace, different scenes demand different pace. Fast pacing is the best for action/fight scene because it gives off more tension. Meanwhile, slow pacing is the best for drama and developmental moments (character building, romance, friendship, etc).

Slow pacing is not always bad; instead, you'll often need it to give your readers the time to take a breath and relate to the setting/characters. Moving quickly all the time will confuse readers and take away all the feels you're supposed to feel as you read.

Compare these (taken from my work):

Fast:
Brandon opened his eye. Getting up with his teeth gritted, he snarled at the thoughts of Rafael. If possible, he'd really like to devour that bastard.

Slow:
Brandon's eye snapped open and burned. Teeth gritted, he supported himself up with his only arm. Saliva trickled down his mouth as he snarled like a hungry wolf. If he had become a necrolyzer when he murdered Rafael, he wouldn't have simply choked him to death with a belt. His nonfunctional intestines would gladly make an exception for that bastard.

Which one gives off more emotions?

Jun 3, 2017 2:47 PM

Sep 2016
@Raptors0verlord I'll check your novel. ^^
And I actually agree with @The_Biologist, the example he did is good, 'cause I really feel a lot more of the emotion that the character is feeling in the second one, but I also agree that too much slow pace can get pretty boring. Let's pretend that, in Biologist's example, he decides to expand the description and overdescribe everything, would it be necessary or would it be just to look more "intelligent" and "professional"?
Yeah, that's what needs to be avoided, in my opinion,

So well, I think there are times for both, because sometimes you NEED to express more feelings and emotion, and simply give more details about the scene, and this will require more words... So I like to keep it on the middle, being as direct as I can, but using as much words as I need. ^^

(Also Biologist I would like to read your work too if it's possible. :3)
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
Jun 3, 2017 5:34 PM

Mar 2015
Victoren said:
Let's pretend that, in Biologist's example, he decides to expand the description and overdescribe everything, would it be necessary or would it be just to look more "intelligent" and "professional"?
Yeah, that's what needs to be avoided, in my opinion,

So well, I think there are times for both, because sometimes you NEED to express more feelings and emotion, and simply give more details about the scene, and this will require more words... So I like to keep it on the middle, being as direct as I can, but using as much words as I need. ^^

(Also Biologist I would like to read your work too if it's possible. :3)

I'm a "she" btw. XD I think what you mean up there is purple prose (overdescribing things). Yes, avoid that at all costs. Reading that is very tiring.

Actually, more words slow down things. If you want to speed up the narrative, trim down as many words as possible. This is especially handy when it comes to fight scene.

Fast:
A swing. Another swing. Yet another swing. Crack! The third time he deflected the knife-like projectile, the hatchet's bit left its handle. Damn. He could neither harm the beast nor defend himself from it now.

Slow:
Coat fluttering by the breeze, he swung his hatchet and knocked a jagged bone out of the sky. Another swing of his weapon sent another bone smashing through the window. He remained stone-faced at this, but deep in his heart, he knew he'd slay the beast soon.

When he swung his hatchet again, though, the hatchet's bit left its handle with a crack. A hiss escaped through his gritted teeth as he wondered how the hell he could harm the beast or defend himself from it.

Which one gives more tension?

My work is here (with illustrations) or here (without illustrations).

Well, it's a fanfic, but it's been critiqued by many fandom blind people via review games and trades, so fandom knowledge is not needed. There are also plenty of action/fight scenes, especially towards the last update.
The_BiologistJun 3, 2017 10:03 PM

Jun 3, 2017 6:57 PM

Jul 2016
[quote=The_Biologist message=50973255]
Victoren said:

Fast:
A swing. Another swing. Yet another swing. Crack! The third time he deflected the knife-like projectile, the hatchet's bit left its handle. Damn. He could neither harm the beast nor defend himself from it now.

Slow:
Coat fluttering by the breeze, he swung his hatchet and knocked a jagged bone out of the sky. Another swing of his weapon sent another bone smashing through the window. He remained stone-faced at this, but deep in his heart, he knew he'd slay the beast soon.

When he swung his hatchet again, though, the hatchet's bit left its handle with a crack. A hiss escaped through his gritted teeth as he wondered how the hell he could harm the beast or defend himself from it.

Which one gives more tension?

I can agree that the 2nd have more tension, but overusing that kind of narrating in every stance could turn people off, it happened to me and I dropped many novels caz of that
Jun 3, 2017 7:24 PM

Dec 2015
Actually, the first one is MUCH better for fights. Biologist is trying to show how efficient use of words ups the tension in fights (and it's the first one that she uses in her work). The emotion is mostly lost, but it moves one through the scene much faster and thus creates more tension.

Btw, @Raptors0verlord, I've scanned your work earlier today. Tbh, things go too fast and the narrative is very dry. I get that being fast is necessary to keep readers hooked to the story, but this kind of breakneck pacing is just as off-putting as super slow pacing. They're all dialogue and action, and there's barely a moment for me to take a breath and try to empathize with the main characters. That's really sad.

And I believe English isn't your first language, is it? You have plenty of grammatical errors and awkward phrases.

@Victoren: I highly recommend Biologist's work. It may be a fanfic, but the way it's written actually doesn't demand plenty of knowledge about the fandom. Also, one of her strengths is the writing style. Her narrative style is quick and concise, yet it still packs da feelz.
impmontamer03Jun 3, 2017 7:54 PM
Jun 3, 2017 7:28 PM

Jul 2016
@impmontamer03

impmontamer03 said:
Actually, the first one is MUCH better for fights. Biologist is trying to show how efficient use of words ups the tension in fights (and it's the first one that she uses her work). The emotion is mostly lost, but it moves one through the scene much faster and thus creates more tension.

Btw, @Raptors0verlord, I've scanned your work earlier today. Tbh, things go too fast and the narrative is very dry. I get that being fast is necessary to keep readers hooked to the story, but this kind of breakneck pacing is off-putting. They're all dialogue and action, and there's barely a moment for me to take a breath and try to empathize with the main characters. That's really sad.

And I believe English isn't your first language, is it? You have plenty of grammatical errors and awkward phrases.

I guess you could say that every author has their own written style , I tend to avoid the slow style since it turned me of of so many novels i have read before

also I did say that it's being translated , so yaa, English isn't my first language
Jun 3, 2017 8:19 PM

Mar 2015
@impmontamer03
The funny thing is, those fandom blind veterans never complain me for describing too much. Instead, some will still say that my narrative is not slow enough and can use more descriptions.

At least, compared to many years ago, less veterans are complaining me for having insanely fast pacing now.

Jun 3, 2017 8:46 PM
Nov 2016
I think you will need to read more light novels before even thinking about writing one yourself. 2 or 3 novels isn't much experience at all.

Jun 3, 2017 11:06 PM

Sep 2016
The_Biologist said:

I'm a "she" btw. XD I think what you mean up there is purple prose (overdescribing things). Yes, avoid that at all costs. Reading that is very tiring.

Oh, sorry, I said that based on your avatar. xD
I'll read your fanfic, even though I never watched the source material, but if you say I can, they I'll try. ^^
And I actually prefer the first one, it's easier to "get in the mood", but the second had a little less words, maybe it would be better, in my opinion. But in a fight scene, less words is victory, and I remember reading this in a post somewhere: "A battle scene is not the time to show your talent for poetry".

@Zephaas, I don't think that's top one necessary things to write a light novel, since I've read a lot of other "normal" novels, that's not really a problem. Light novels, in the end, are just novels, so if you can put yourself to write something more simple than a conventional novel, you can write a light novel, I guess (and "simple" is my specialty, even in music, that's why I chose this format)
I've also made a lot of search about the topic, and tried to learn as many as I can about light novels (and there isn't much to learn about it, I discovered), so I'm not totally lost and everything. ^^
And even though I've read few light novels, I've read A LOT of this light novels. xD

My biggest problem was writing the battles, which is becoming less of a problem now that I'm practicing and collecting tips from others (I'm also trying a method where I watch a battle scene in a anime, and try to write it in a sort of light novel format, and weirdly enough, it's kinda working :v)

@Raptors0verlord, in the end, that's true, everyone has it's own style, and I guess you also have your reasons to write in this fast pace style, so well, who can blame you?
I haven't read your novel yet, but I'll do it soon. ^^
VictorenJan 8, 2019 2:24 PM
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
Jun 4, 2017 12:17 AM

Mar 2015
@Victoren: Thanks. When you've read it, do leave a comment if possible. :) It's sorta a courtesy.

For battles, you can copy paste your scene at this thread to get critiques. It's run by impmontamer03.

Ever read articles from Writers' Digest? They often have wonderful tips for writing.

@Raptors0verlord: Having read your work, I have to agree with impmontamer03. Grammatical errors aside, the narrative style is dry; it's dialogue back and forth with actions slipped in-between. It can use more descriptions of the setting and particularly the character's emotions. I can't immerse myself into the setting. And the character... From what I've seen so far, B is just your standard brooding badass protagonist with dark past. I wish there's more into him. And the battle, while the sentences are short and snappy, it's hard to follow because too many movements and things going on at a time. Give readers a time to pause, and at that moment, show how the character is feeling. Not by dialogue, not by action, but by getting into the character's head and describe what he is thinking/feeling.

In addition, I feel like the way you describe the character is bland and list-like: [He's wearing blah, blah, blah, blah, and blah.] Since you have illustrations, you actually can forgo the descriptions. Another alternative is leave it in fragments instead of shoving them all to the readers at once. Or you can split it into a few sentences and vary the sentence type/length as you go on describing the character.

Another thing is exclamation points. A lot of your sentences end with exclamation marks during the battle, making it look like the narrator is shouting all the time. Stylistically, it doesn't make the action more exciting. At least to me. Would suggest working on the word choice and sentence structure to remedy the problem.

I know each author has his/her own style, but I guess yours isn't the type I can get into. Sorry. :(
The_BiologistJun 4, 2017 2:36 AM

Jun 4, 2017 1:28 AM
Nov 2016
Victoren said:
The_Biologist said:

@Zephaas, I don't think that's top one necessary things to right a light novel, since I've read a lot of other "normal" novels, that's not really a problem. Light novels, in the end, are just novels, so if you can put yourself to write something more simple than a conventional novel, you can write a light novel, I guess (and "simple" is my specialty, even in music, that's why I chose this format)
I've also made a lot of search about the topic, and tried to learn as many as I can about light novels (and there isn't much to learn about it, I discovered), so I'm not totally lost and everything. ^^
And even though I've read few light novels, I've read A LOT of this light novels. xD

You say you've read few light novels, then say you've read a lot of light novels.
???

Also, Novels are actually quite different, but if you want to go and jump in and write one, go ahead. I was just trying to give some tips, unless you're some god of a writer, I doubt it's gonna turn out well.

Jun 4, 2017 7:45 AM

Jul 2016
@The_Biologist

: well, thanks for taking the time to read the work , honestly having more information about characters like B in just one chapter isn't something that could happen like that .

not just my novel, but any work of fiction , I don't remember one single anime or novel where you learn every single thing about a character in just one chapter, that alone is over-pacing

as to knowing what his think, it would have been easier if I used the third person narrative, but to me that wouldn't make sense , mainly caz when the story shift away to a location where the main character isn't presented in it would make no sense for him to know whats going on unless his some kind of Omnipresent being of sort

another reason behind the lack of so many details is to keep the size of the novel short as passible, when I wrote the novel I expected id end up with all its chapters in just one book, I was suprised that i had to split it into 2 , then the 2nd book came and I ended up having to split it into 2 as well, ending up with 3 books , even after trying to keep things short

so using long narrative seems to me like a way to force me to split it into more parts as well

in the end I can't really please everyone , there are people who loved the first book and patiently waiting for the upcoming ones, and these who disliked the book since they just wanted to take the time to look for flaws , but again sorry if my style of writing isn't your cup of tea , like i said can't pleases everyone
Raptors0verlordJun 4, 2017 8:11 AM
Jun 4, 2017 2:24 PM

Feb 2010
I haven't read everyone's points listed, so forgive me if I repeat others.

As a self-published writer, allow me to express some things I've found are very important.

First off, simply put, Dialogue.

You need to know your characters from the inside out. And most of all, how they interact with others. Structure interesting narratives without boring readers with needless exposition is VERY critical.

You need to make point where description and setting is key, but always remember "Less is More." Many things can be avoided by simply having your characters talk to one another.

It is of course important to know your world, and have a good understanding of it, because if you don't, how can you hope the reader will?

Speaking from experience, I write rather organically, that is, I go in with a plan, but sometimes, I end up just following my characters suddenly down a road I hadn't planned. Sometimes it is no good, but most of the time it creates for interesting scenes and dialogues. This might not be your style of writing, but it is something to explore when starting out.

Understanding the flow of scenes, and writing "Non-stiff" conversations are also very key. Simple rule of thumb to take point. When you write out a character's lines, read them out loud, back to yourself. If you find herself cringing, rewrite it. And if you still don't find yourself cringing, picture an actor/actress playing your character's role, delivering the line. Was it corny, cheesy in your head? If so, change it.

When writing action, and fight scenes, the point is to not get bogged down. I have the weakness to sometimes muddle up some of my scenes with the internal thoughts of my characters currently engaged, so I struggle there. It is important to highlight what is the most important, and be sure to focus on how much of an impact you want the reader to feel.

If you want to make the reader understand that your character is very strong, show subtle things like how "the force of the blow made the ground crack beneath his feet," and so on and so forth. Take the same approach for speed, and reflex, and if you want to deal in "Fantastical Attacks," either they science or magical related, be sure to not get hung up on the particulars, but imply the power and impact of the attack.

Fights can be difficult, but it is always better to not make the battle too fast, but not too slow. All of these takes practice, and time.

Also, I might have read your OP wrong, but LNs aren't all battles. Yes, they have them, but battles are nothing in the face of story, setting, flowing narrative, and above all else, characters.

I wouldn't even begin about worrying how to right fight scenes until you have a firm understanding about how to write your characters.

Like I said, get to know them. Structure them. Are they damaged? What kind of past do they have? Do they have siblings? A Family? Was it a happy childhood? Crappy one? Are they skilled? Do they lack in areas? Are they reserved? Shy? Angry? Dedicated to revenge? A wanderer?

The list goes on, and it is important to know these things before going in, otherwise, you may get lost, and have problems down the line when your characters suddenly seem to do things out of character.

All in all, becoming good and better at writing takes a lot of time and practice.

The only TRUE advice you are to take away from everyone posting on your thread is this though:

READ more. WRITE more.

Don't stop, and just keep working on it.

I would be HAPPY to read over anything you send my way, provided its small, as I have unfortunately have been unable to get to longer works I had said I would read from others. I'm fair in my criticisms, and enjoy helping others who have a passion for writing original stories. ;D

Best of luck, and I hope my words weren't so redundant

Happy writing.
alterangel1046zrJun 4, 2017 2:32 PM
Jun 4, 2017 11:35 PM

Sep 2016
Zephaas said:

You say you've read few light novels, then say you've read a lot of light novels.
???

Also, Novels are actually quite different, but if you want to go and jump in and write one, go ahead. I was just trying to give some tips, unless you're some god of a writer, I doubt it's gonna turn out well.

No no, I meant I've read few series, but I've read a lot of this series, in specific. I mean that it's not like I've read two volumes of one light novel and three of the other one (even though I still need to update my MAL with the novels I've read but I'm lazy).

But I still think you can understand the structure of LNs by studying about it, and having examples, which both I think I have, since 3 is higher than 0 (pro mathematics here) and as I said, looked deep as I could into the topic. And yeah, I didn't said novels and LN are the same thing, don't worry. Though, I have a lot of influence on normal novels.
Anyway, I'll translate at least the prologue and maybe what I have of the first chapter (about 3 or 4 parts), and I post it here and mark you, so you can take a look and give a more precise opinion, how about it? (No problem if you don't want, but you can tell me if you consider it a real light novel or if something is bad or good, but I must say, the start is intentionally pretty confusing, but depending on your taste you might not like the first parts of chapter 1. )

And I'm not saying I'm a god of a writer, not even close to that, I'm just saying my opinion, and don't get me wrong, really, thanks for you tip and opinion, I was just explaining my point. ^^

PS: I'm saying all that but I'm actually with a list of light novels in some different genres to read, I just didn't start yet. HYPOCRISY FTW

@alterangel1046zr
Yeah, first thing, I think you did read my post wrong, I'm not all battles, I was just worried about when I get there, I would be totally lost. xD
I really prefer investing on dialogues, story and characters, but that's already done, or already being worked on. ^^

Well, I have a lot of my world already done, I finished the final sketch for the map of the main country earlier today, now I just need to scan and improve it digitally, and I have profile documents with appearance, personality, history and blablabla of the primary characters (except one, which I'm planning of finishing as soon as I finish this reply, and I may start the secondary right after), and I also have those basic things like the races that exists in the world, the towns, that sort of "world building" stuff, but it's good to know that I was right having all this work from the start. ^^
"Read more, write more", this resumes my conversation with Zephaas. xD

I can send you the prologue and a bit of the chapter one (probably 4 parts), might be about 25 pages, more or less, but I need to translate it first, and I'm working so hard on everything in the novel's world that I might take a while to finish translating... Is that okay?
Also, thanks for the tips and encouragement! ^^

@The_Biologist, I've read one article of them (Writers' Digest), but it's saved on my favorites so I'll read more articles later. :3

WOW GOD I TALK TOO MUCH
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
Jun 4, 2017 11:59 PM

Mar 2015
@Victoren: Do upload when the prologue and the first part are done. :) Though I'll straight up say that I can't promise to leave a review (unless it's part of a trade). I don't want to be one of the many "givers of false hope" I've encountered; in my experience, those who promise free reviews NEVER keep their promises. They just poof without leaving a trace after making such sweet promises.

Jun 5, 2017 12:12 AM

Sep 2016
The_Biologist said:
@Victoren: Do upload when the prologue and the first part are done. :) Though I'll straight up say that I can't promise to leave a review (unless it's part of a trade). I don't want to be one of the many "givers of false hope" I've encountered; in my experience, those who promise free reviews NEVER keep their promises. They just poof without leaving a trace after making such sweet promises.

May I add, usually they don't even read your thing.
But don't worry, you can review if you want and can, but no problem if you don't. ^^
(For me, even if you only say like "it's good 6/10" it's more than enough. xD)
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
Jun 5, 2017 12:24 AM

Mar 2015
Victoren said:

Well, the problem is that I'm used to leave detailed and critical reviews because I always want to prove to the authors that I do read the story. :P This is what that constantly puts me at a disadvantage in review games. Gave a 600 words detailed and critical review, received a 100 words review that doesn't bother getting into the specifics.

I tend to rant when it comes to reviews because I've been cheated many times (especially those "givers of false hopes") and can't get any without establishing a trade contract. :( I hate soliciting for reviews because I know nobody likes being solicited, but that's still my last resort when I'm desperate.
The_BiologistJun 5, 2017 12:29 AM

Jun 5, 2017 4:14 PM

Sep 2016
The_Biologist said:
Victoren said:

Well, the problem is that I'm used to leave detailed and critical reviews because I always want to prove to the authors that I do read the story. :P This is what that constantly puts me at a disadvantage in review games. Gave a 600 words detailed and critical review, received a 100 words review that doesn't bother getting into the specifics.

I tend to rant when it comes to reviews because I've been cheated many times (especially those "givers of false hopes") and can't get any without establishing a trade contract. :( I hate soliciting for reviews because I know nobody likes being solicited, but that's still my last resort when I'm desperate.

Don't mind, when I read your story I'll do what I can to review it (even though my reviews are pretty simple, I'm not very good reviewing stuff...), but I can't promise when I'll read it, because of the work in my novel and everything... :/
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
Jun 5, 2017 4:23 PM

Jun 2017
I'm a pretty fucking rad anime artist, if I do say so myself. If you need me for anything, I'm willing to help/contribute. I don't want/need to be payed for it either.
Feb 24, 2018 9:20 AM
Mar 2017
Hello there! Are this post's members still active?

More topics from this board

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
30 minutes ago

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - 2 hours ago

2 by Oofmastre9000 »»
34 minutes ago

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
5 hours ago

» Share an ai anime pic

NowOldCow - Dec 6, 2023

19 by loligoth666 »»
12 hours ago

» Show us your latest sketch or drawing v.2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Feb 21, 2017

1629 by loligoth666 »»
Today, 8:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.