Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 19, 2017 12:23 PM

Jun 2011
Why the heck did that brat run away from the theme park all the way to home like this? She's too selective about choosing people who she likes! That punching bag needs to have barbecue thrown at her face so that she can shut up, she talks too much, that's what Shinji should've done once she came home because she shouldn't have ran away like this and now she got to see Shinji playing the cello, which improves her relationship and that biotch kisses him! Ew!!!!

And she even condescended him on his homework and flirted with him in the bikini in episode 10! And that's because she doesn't know how to relate to people! And in the same episode, she was too concerned about herself being in the fat suit. She needs to get pushed into water!

We rarely see any parts where she sympathizes or is selfless, the only parts I remember her doing that was when she felt sorry for Toji being the new pilot and when she watched Shinji in the hospital.

Angry_Anime_NerdMay 19, 2017 12:42 PM
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
May 23, 2017 11:06 PM

May 2016
Simple answer: Asuka, along with all the major characters in NGE, is fucked in the head. People act illogically all the time in real life, no reason not to mirror that in an anime that's all about realistically approaching unrealistic situations.
May 24, 2017 9:04 AM

Jun 2011
deciBel23 said:
Simple answer: Asuka, along with all the major characters in NGE, is fucked in the head. People act illogically all the time in real life, no reason not to mirror that in an anime that's all about realistically approaching unrealistic situations.

But you don't have to mirror the people acting illogically all the time in anime, just use the people that act rationally!
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
May 24, 2017 1:11 PM

May 2016
That would defeat the purpose of the show.
May 24, 2017 1:24 PM

Jan 2013
I see my boi Dachie!!!!1
May 24, 2017 1:41 PM

Jun 2011
deciBel23 said:
That would defeat the purpose of the show.

That would at least make the story better for the people who don't like depressing stories and unlikeable characters. Like I said on another thread, I'd rather for the characters to be resilient, carefree, optimistic, pollyannaish, easy-going, emotionally strong, and happy, the show will be light and it could be funny in some way and make me feel good. well, maybe it doesn't have to be very happy but kind of close, though.

But anothet way they could've tried resolving their problems is taking them therapy and discipline and scolding.
Angry_Anime_NerdMay 24, 2017 2:08 PM

May 24, 2017 3:52 PM

May 2016
The show wasn't going for a light tone though, and it wasn't supposed to make you feel happy. There's nothing wrong with that, I don't like most shows, doesn't make them objectively bad.
May 24, 2017 3:54 PM

May 2012
i think that is the point. she has narcissistic personality disorder. she is incompetent, and yet thinks she is better than everyone.
May 25, 2017 1:28 PM

Jun 2011
Holbach said:
pinkarray said:

That would at least make the story better for the people who don't like depressing stories and unlikeable characters. Like I said on another thread, I'd rather for the characters to be resilient, carefree, optimistic, pollyannaish, easy-going, emotionally strong, and happy, the show will be light and it could be funny in some way and make me feel good. well, maybe it doesn't have to be very happy but kind of close, though.

You do realise that creator of Evangelion, Hideaki Anno, was very depressed and unstable when he was making the show? NGE is deconstruction of mecha anime, meaning that it takes most of mecha tropes and plays them out in realistic way. I suggest you check "TvTropes" about deconstruction and Evangelion. You think piloting giant mecha and fighting against alien monsters is cool? Well, you should also consider all trauma that comes with it. Try being optimistic with that.

As for the Asuka´s behaviour, she is already traumatised from her childhood, suffers from borderline personality disorder - this includes black-and-white thinking ("I hate you" - "I love you" kind of thinking), is afraid of being unwanted and rejected. It has been said that people with borderline personality disorder feel most intense emotional pain.

People tend to diagnose her with narcissistic, bipolar and histrionic personality disorder but that is not the case with Asuka. It is her front she puts up for people to see, otherwise they would see her for what she really is: weak, scared, love-hungry child. Asuka desperatly needs someone to confide and open up to, but she is too afraid of being rejected for being weak.

I did hear Anno was depressed when making this series but I don't know if he's gone to therapy for that or what. Maybe if he has went through therapy, he could've put his characters in therapy to sort out their issues. I am pretty sure Asuka has some type of disability, whether it's NPD, BPD, or HPD or all of the above.

May 25, 2017 2:24 PM

Jul 2013
Well, in EoE,
May 26, 2017 10:39 AM

Jul 2013
Holbach said:
Illyricus said:
Well, in EoE,

Interesting perspective. I have never tried looking at it that way because my attention was diverted by horridness of Shinji´s act (although, I heard from more sources that it was middle finger from Anno to people who fetishised NGE characters. If you do, only thing you can say is: "I´m so f*cked up"). It seems Asuka has power to convince him not to "play for the other team".

Anyway, you made my day.
Well, my comment was just a joke, but it was a cool analysis nonetheless.
Jun 1, 2017 8:51 AM

Jun 2011
deciBel23 said:
The show wasn't going for a light tone though, and it wasn't supposed to make you feel happy. There's nothing wrong with that, I don't like most shows, doesn't make them objectively bad.

People have different opinions, some people like Evangelion, others don't. I don't know if peoples' opinions about anime are objective, I thought they were subjective? I do study writing and I criticize the screenwriting of Eva.

Jun 2, 2021 2:58 PM

Apr 2020
Angry_Anime_Nerd said:
Why the heck did that brat run away from the theme park all the way to home like this? She's too selective about choosing people who she likes! That punching bag needs to have barbecue thrown at her face so that she can shut up, she talks too much, that's what Shinji should've done once she came home because she shouldn't have ran away like this and now she got to see Shinji playing the cello, which improves her relationship and that biotch kisses him! Ew!!!!

And she even condescended him on his homework and flirted with him in the bikini in episode 10! And that's because she doesn't know how to relate to people! And in the same episode, she was too concerned about herself being in the fat suit. She needs to get pushed into water!

We rarely see any parts where she sympathizes or is selfless, the only parts I remember her doing that was when she felt sorry for Toji being the new pilot and when she watched Shinji in the hospital.

Asuka doesn't care for Shinji at all.
"Humans are like isolated islands, floating in the sea of fate.
Human encounters are like the collision of these lonely islands, and once they touch, there would be an effect. Sometimes, the islands would stick together, in the name of ‘interest’, ‘kinship’, ‘friendship’, ‘love’ and ‘hate’. But eventually, they would separate, walking towards the path of destruction.

This is the truth behind life."

-Fang Yuan

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

809 by TheStarscream759 »»
Yesterday, 6:17 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

151 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 5:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

213 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 14, 4:18 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

210 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 13, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

285 by Apreggi »»
Apr 13, 1:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.