Forum Settings
Forums
May 20, 2017 2:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
Cirno9 said:
The movie was a mess... The characters are a mess, that excuse of a story was poorly executed, does it even need any explanation, probably not if you watched the movie.

Our "victim" is so fucking fake. The author tries to build empathy with her cuteness, but what else, her being excluded of that fake drama? It was a torture to watch that.

And our bully... omg never saw so much fake in one fucking character. Ever saw a bully who is physically weak? Me neither.

Heck, I used to bully so many people at school, and that's not how they treated me. They acted fucking nice because they didn't wanted to be bullied, but this guy is just being treated like shit and he does NOTHING about it. Is that supposed to be character development? Feeling guilty is one thing, but becoming such a loser without story to backup is just bullshit. On top of that, would you as a victim do nothing if you are being bullied? Wouldn't you fight back? I would've beaten the shit out of those plebs.

Did I mention all the red flags? Who saw the death of the grandma coming? What was going on through the authors mind when they give a character that contributes nothing to the main story an entire scene? He thought he could build some empathy and just kill named character over night, because why not. How obvious is this outcome?

Not to mention that "suki" scene. Cringe af, and if I as a non native speaker understand what's going on, how can someone with perfect Japanese not understand what she meant, forreal? Does that guy have autism or something?

The other characters were so useless and their personality just adapted to the scenes, just for the sake of forcing drama...

^this wall of text is a mess, the movie is even worse.

PS: Overrated is an understatement.


I don't think you got the movie?
First, the main character was the type of bully that wasn't particularly strong, he was the class clown and bullied the girl to get on his classmates good side. He liked attention, he liked doing stupid stuff because he wanted to be accepted and appear cool to his classmates. It's got nothing to do with how strong you are phisically, it is about how many people you have supporting you. He may be phisically weak but he had many people's support, his friends, the girl that seated near him and the other classmates who didn't like the new girl. Then, after being confronted, he was accused as the sole bully by the teacher and the friends who supported stopped deeming him as cool and started bullying him, for the sake of appearences... He started getting bullied which changed his whole life.

I guess you've never been bullied, but being bullied affects your whole social life, I can vouch for it. In the main guy's case, he stopped being able to even look at other people and he started hating himself. He realised that what he had done was horrible and he became afraid of society. He got to the point where he almost commited suicide. And I find this very realistic because I know people who commited suicide because of continuous bullying for years, though I only met them right before they did it, and I get just how bad bullying can get.

My point is, just because the main characters' bullying experience is different than yours, it doesn't mean it's not realistic. You're mistaken if you think every single bullying case is the exact same as yours. People are different, have different ways to think, different ways to cope, different ways to live. You can't really use your example as a base for every other bullying case, because even bullies are not the exact same person in every single case.

Oh, and the grandma's death does contribute to the movie. It contributes to the reason's the main girl wanted to commit suicide. People don't commit suicide just because there's something that's bothering. They do it either to prove a point or because they've accumulated enough deppression to do so (words of my psychologist). In the heroine's case, it was the latter. And the grandma was a pillage that help support her. She went to sign language classes with the girl, when even the mother didn't, she must have been a great part of the girl's life, considering that her world revolved solely around her family and the friends she made after meeting the bully again. Someone with that much big importance in her life dying had, of course, a big impact on her. Which helped her deppression grow even more and therefore it did have some effect in the story.

I liked this movie so much because it made me think about every single thing that happened, why it happened and its effects on the main characters. You cannot just watch the movie without thinking a bit, because you won't get almost anything about the plot. That's why, for me, this movie was so interesting, specially because it's a topic that comes up in anyone's life at some point (bullying).

The reason you think the main girl is fake is probably because you don't understand what she's thinking most of the time. There's a wall there that doesn't let us understand her personality and herself as a person, and that is her deafness and the fact that the story was told from the guy's point of view. And probably also because you didn't make much effort to understand her actions because you cannot understand her situation. She was an isolated person that only had her family and that tried very hard to make friends and ended up not having any. Zero friends, hard to communicate with, that's already a starting point to hating oneself. As she started hating herself, she didn't blame the guy who bullied her for having done so, because she blamed herself for having interfere with the class and probably thinks that if she's bullied it's her own fault...

There are so many complex feelings to analyse, it isn't as simple as saying that it's fake or that it's not realistic. You first have to make an effort to try to understand the people involved in the story regardless of your own ideas of what bullying is. You have to understand that people are different than you and only then can you enjoy this movie to its fullest.

(sorry for the testament)
 
May 20, 2017 2:49 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4046



I mean, you're getting triggered over their critiques of your comments. So, you're basically doing the same thing you're telling them not to do.
 
May 20, 2017 3:54 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 38
For those who knew what's going to come and still want to watch the movie, I'd recommend you to not watch it, it's going to be a big disappointment .
 
May 20, 2017 6:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 5905
6/10 for me
nothing special about it to be honest
 
May 20, 2017 6:46 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
I agree completely with you. I already gave my review in the movie's section. The reason people just gifts 10/10 to this movie is because of their feelings.
 
May 20, 2017 7:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1053


You make it sound like it's so hard to stop being passive. Changing yourself takes time, but it can be something that happens over night, the only thing that matters is when you start changing yourself. Also I'm not only blaming the victim, it's always both parties fault when it comes to stuff like that, the bully for being a douche and the victim who let it happen.



I got bullied and it was bad, it was fucking awful, BUT I got sick of being bullied after a few weeks (maybe a month) and changed myself in one month to the better. People picked on me because I repeated class and was overweight. Guess what I did, I got good at school and lost weight, started working, always bought the best clothes with my hard earned money. Then I got a new haircut and after 1 month people couldn't recognize me anymore. I became popular, got my first girlfriends and some girls who were not in my class got my phone number and started texting me, yes that actually happened in one fucking month.

Now tell me again after going through this, can you seriously not change as the victim? How am I supposed to believe the story if I just proved that you actually can change? It is partly the victims fault for not changing, if they want to not be bullied then fucking change yourself, do the first step.

What I am trying to say is, become invulnerable to bullying. If you don't have weak spots you can't be bullied.

PS: Do you know how I became a bully? I could never stand the fact that the "cool kids" picked on the "losers", that's why I picked on everyone. I didn't miss out on anyone, be it guy or girl, everyone who deserved being bullied got bullied. I'd be lying if I didn't do it for the fun sometimes, but that was usually just something harmless that just made the entire class laugh except for one person, but I never overdid it. It was kind of helpful that one of my best friends and me always picked at each other (for fun), both of us became "master of words" and had the most creative ways to humiliate someone with just words, always hitting the right spot, which led to the point where I became invulnerable. That would explain my huge ego as well, but that's another story.
 
May 20, 2017 7:55 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 448
Cirno9 said:


You make it sound like it's so hard to stop being passive. Changing yourself takes time, but it can be something that happens over night, the only thing that matters is when you start changing yourself. Also I'm not only blaming the victim, it's always both parties fault when it comes to stuff like that, the bully for being a douche and the victim who let it happen.



I got bullied and it was bad, it was fucking awful, BUT I got sick of being bullied after a few weeks (maybe a month) and changed myself in one month to the better. People picked on me because I repeated class and was overweight. Guess what I did, I got good at school and lost weight, started working, always bought the best clothes with my hard earned money. Then I got a new haircut and after 1 month people couldn't recognize me anymore. I became popular, got my first girlfriends and some girls who were not in my class got my phone number and started texting me, yes that actually happened in one fucking month.

Now tell me again after going through this, can you seriously not change as the victim? How am I supposed to believe the story if I just proved that you actually can change? It is partly the victims fault for not changing, if they want to not be bullied then fucking change yourself, do the first step.

What I am trying to say is, become invulnerable to bullying. If you don't have weak spots you can't be bullied.

PS: Do you know how I became a bully? I could never stand the fact that the "cool kids" picked on the "losers", that's why I picked on everyone. I didn't miss out on anyone, be it guy or girl, everyone who deserved being bullied got bullied. I'd be lying if I didn't do it for the fun sometimes, but that was usually just something harmless that just made the entire class laugh except for one person, but I never overdid it. It was kind of helpful that one of my best friends and me always picked at each other (for fun), both of us became "master of words" and had the most creative ways to humiliate someone with just words, always hitting the right spot, which led to the point where I became invulnerable. That would explain my huge ego as well, but that's another story.


Its nice and all that you changed and people stopped bullying but there are many cases where a person getting bullied ends killing himself/herself. This isn't some mind blowing thing that is only found in fiction as there have been incidents of it happening. Secondly, don't assume that just because you can do it, others can too, speaking from experience I have known fat people that has been bullied through their entire high school and they only managed to improve themselves long after they graduated, the reason they couldn't change during the time could be a multitude of reason, lack of self confidence, very busy lifestyle, focusing on their own interests.

Also trying to change is sometimes futile. For instance, when I was getting bullied, it was due to my race which is something I can't change. When Shouko is getting bullied in the beginning, its because she is deaf, these are things you can't change at all.
Modified by -Abyss_Walker-, May 21, 2017 12:21 AM
 
May 20, 2017 8:53 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4046
Gin-SanCor said:
I agree completely with you. I already gave my review in the movie's section. The reason people just gifts 10/10 to this movie is because of their feelings.



It's pure ignorance to think that's the only reason. You're just trying to justify why you don't like that their opinion is different than yours.
 
May 20, 2017 9:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1320
Need more people to watch it first before talking about it being overrated. But in my opinion, I dont think it's overrated. I read the manga, then watched the movie and i actually enjoyed the movie more. It was amazing and unique. definitely my favourite movie
 
May 20, 2017 11:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Kittens-kun said:
Gin-SanCor said:
I agree completely with you. I already gave my review in the movie's section. The reason people just gifts 10/10 to this movie is because of their feelings.



It's pure ignorance to think that's the only reason. You're just trying to justify why you don't like that their opinion is different than yours.


I didn't say it was the only reason, even when it's the most common. It's meaningless for me if their opinion is the same as mine. What I care is that people could evaluate with a more solid basis. Awfully, you're one example showing that goal is too far from now...
 
May 21, 2017 12:00 AM
Hug Addict <3

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 28581
The word overrated is pretty overrated if you ask me

It's a good movie but yes 9.16 is pretty silly I have to say. Currently being tied with Steins;Gate is a bit of a joke

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"
 
May 21, 2017 12:17 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 498
I wished we get to know more about the charcaters and there are some unresolved story points, by the time it ended I just craved for more. It's a tad bit high and yeah I felt more feels with AnoHana, but this was still an amazing movie experience.
 
May 21, 2017 12:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2784
I don't think it was overrated. I had just finished it so maybe I'm still under the feels trip effect of it, but it certainly is very damn good. 9.5 out of 10, so leaning closer to 10 than anything. I would have to say though that the ending was very anti-climactic, I was giggling like an idiot for about 2 hours, until the last 5 or so minutes, but I have to say it is a masterpiece. It's one thing for a manga to anime adaptation to become very heavy hitters, but Kyoani did a very spectacular job adapting a 60+ chapter manga into a two hour movie. A lot of people say that the length hurt the movie since it cut a lot of back ground characters out, but the main focus of this story is Ishida. It was very well done for what the storyboard people had to work with cutting this down.
.
 
May 21, 2017 12:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9901
Cirno9 said:


You make it sound like it's so hard to stop being passive. Changing yourself takes time, but it can be something that happens over night, the only thing that matters is when you start changing yourself. Also I'm not only blaming the victim, it's always both parties fault when it comes to stuff like that, the bully for being a douche and the victim who let it happen.

I'm not going to say that it's hard in every case, but there are enough cases where it has long term effects. Don't act like yours is the norm. And if you are blaming the victim, even if it's only as a "both parties fault" thing, we are done talking here. The last thing you should ever do in any case is blaming a victim because they are in a position of vulnerability and you can't treat them as if they had the same agency or responsibility as their bullies.
Modified by jal90, May 21, 2017 12:29 AM
 
May 21, 2017 12:30 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4046
Gin-SanCor said:
Kittens-kun said:



It's pure ignorance to think that's the only reason. You're just trying to justify why you don't like that their opinion is different than yours.


I didn't say it was the only reason, even when it's the most common. It's meaningless for me if their opinion is the same as mine. What I care is that people could evaluate with a more solid basis. Awfully, you're one example showing that goal is too far from now...



Where's your "solid basis"?
 
May 21, 2017 12:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1920
tragedydesu said:
6/10 for me
nothing special about it to be honest


Having AOT,Death note and Code geass as your favourite makes me think you haven't realised what good anime is yet. Once you are past the novice rank regarding to anime then you probably see more into the light
2D>3D enough said. ^_^



 
May 21, 2017 12:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1920
NothingReally said:
Takamura-sama said:
I liked the movie a lot, but you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.


The irony. Clannad's overrated as well. Don't try to spin that.


Clannad is sh*t. How can you compare a good movie to a boring anime
2D>3D enough said. ^_^



 
May 21, 2017 1:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 183
So i just wanna try to explain why I think this film may work for others and less so for other. I dearly love the movie so I don't want anyone to feel bad that they may not get the same experience as others.

One thing to mention right off the bat is that this is an 2 hour movie adaptation of a manga that spans 64 volumes. This can be off-putting to manga readers who desire an adaptation that adapts every moment that isn't possible through a film. It can also be a bit off-putting to newer viewers who may feel a bit confused about some things, such as the reasoning of why certain side characters exist. It should also be mentioned how Yamada makes the film her own, disregarding all the paneling and layouts of the original manga and framing it for animation and film. This can also be a bit divisive for readers of the manga, especially if you don't like the direction.

Which comes to the number one reason why I think people are a bit lost when they view this movie. It's a movie that speaks entirely through it's visuals, often letting the audience to infer what is happening on their own without the use of exposition. One excellent example is this shot



As you can see, Ishida's classmate is trying to show him something that is happening out the windows as his classmates gathered around. However, Ishida has shut himself away from the people around him. At this point in the movie he still can't open himself up to others. This is further emphasized through the window framing, boxing Ishida in his self-loathing. It communicates Ishida's personal POV while also showing the greater scope of the world around him. The movie is entirely told like this for the most part. Compare this to the manga where it outright tells you.



For this reason, I think the manga is more digestible for people while the movie can be sort of difficult to follow at times if you aren't paying attention. Yamada's direction for the movie is elegant, but not entirely conventional for a all viewers to be able to fully grasp. I think the more subdued tone of the movie plays a factor into this as well, compared to the manga which is much more histrionic and more willing to yell it's emotions.

People can also get the wrong idea about what the movie is exactly about. It can be mistakenly seen as a romance movie, especially with some of the trailers pointing towards such a thing. But the movie is firmly about seeking redemption and the different ways we can communicate with one another.

This was probably a bit confusing, but i'll end it by saying t it's the kinda of movie that if you aren't totally on-board with the direction, you might just find it okay or even hate it. But it can end up as one of the most powerful, emotionally-draining movie if it personally resonates with you. Persoanlly, I think it's an incredible film that deserves all the praise it can get thats drained me unlike any other piece of media I can think of. However, I can completely understand why it doesn't work for everyone and I don't think you should feel bad if it doesn't gel with you.
 
May 21, 2017 1:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 5905
Renaultclio101 said:
tragedydesu said:
6/10 for me
nothing special about it to be honest


Having AOT,Death note and Code geass as your favourite makes me think you haven't realised what good anime is yet. Once you are past the novice rank regarding to anime then you probably see more into the light


people have different taste
watching more anime never changed my taste

if you mean by good anime "elitists shows" like ping pong /The Tatami Galaxy/eva
then no , they are boring trash in my opinion

i think this movie is rushed
it may work so much better as 12 ep
 
May 21, 2017 1:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1920
tragedydesu said:


people have different taste
watching more anime never changed my taste

if you mean by good anime "elitists shows" like ping pong /The Tatami Galaxy/eva
then no , they are boring trash in my opinion

i think this movie is rushed
it may work so much better as 12 ep


The elite series you mentioned are all trash too lol. Though iisn't it can be said for all movie since it is a compressed version of the manga/LN/series. I don't read but I understand the story and everything was planned out nicely
2D>3D enough said. ^_^



 
May 21, 2017 1:40 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 1957
Its overrated because its spends way too much time from the perspective of Shouya instead of dedicating more time on Shouko. The only time we actually see the perspective of Shouko is flashbacks and the ending sequence on the bridge. Its hard to build up sympathy for a character that we don't see the development of. Why does she blame herself for being deaf and other people bullying her? This is never explained or shown in the anime. Why didn't the teacher deal with the bullying in the classroom? Why is the teacher so bad at dealing with her hearing disability? There are so many questions with in how the teachers conduct themselves that I guess the only presupposition I can make is that in this anime bad teachers don't get fired or this how Japanese schools conduct themselves.

The second major misstep the anime makes is that it introduces characters that don't have much of a role in the anime. Shimada appears in a few scenes and Hirose barely even has a role besides being underneath Shouya in a scene and pulling Shouya out of the water offscreen. The Grandma I think appears in a single scene before being killed off. What was the purpose of Mashiba as a character other than hating bullies? Most of the time the characters seem to be a categorical checklist of archetypes that respond in a different way to bullying. The problem with doing this is the characters seem fake and kind of ruins the suspension of disbelief when they can be summed up in a few traits that relate to bullying.

The biggest major issue with the anime is suppose to be a story of redemption of a bully and its victim but focuses way too much time on the bully instead of the victim. The victim in this anime is a mere placeholder of a standard pure hearted moe-blob girl archetype that has no agency in the story whatsoever despite being a main character. Her lack of flaws and personality traits besides a deaf girl that is blaming herself for being bullied makes her as a character seem fake instead of a believable human character in a bullying story. The anime seems to understand what happens to people when they are bullied but doesn't have the writing prowess to show the progression of that on screen without using montage sequences and ambiguous flashbacks.
 
May 21, 2017 2:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 34073
Yea it was a 7/8 at best. Some of the events felt really disjointed with wonky transitions. I don't have great recollection of the manga, but that was a glaring problem. No where near deserving of the top 5 imo even though I loved the manga.

 
May 21, 2017 2:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9262
While the movie wasn't bad. It was clearly overhyped. To me Your Name leave more impact when I watched it.
I am the Homalander, I can do whatever the fuck I want.

 
May 21, 2017 3:14 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 11
Well personnaly I loved it. I think the hype can be explained because of the story which is a sad story of a deaf girl. This type of story isn't common, and I thought that this one was beautiful. However Kimi no wa were way more hyped.
 
May 21, 2017 3:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
Cirno9 said:




I got bullied and it was bad, it was fucking awful, BUT I got sick of being bullied after a few weeks (maybe a month) and changed myself in one month to the better. People picked on me because I repeated class and was overweight. Guess what I did, I got good at school and lost weight, started working, always bought the best clothes with my hard earned money. Then I got a new haircut and after 1 month people couldn't recognize me anymore. I became popular, got my first girlfriends and some girls who were not in my class got my phone number and started texting me, yes that actually happened in one fucking month.

Now tell me again after going through this, can you seriously not change as the victim? How am I supposed to believe the story if I just proved that you actually can change? It is partly the victims fault for not changing, if they want to not be bullied then fucking change yourself, do the first step.

What I am trying to say is, become invulnerable to bullying. If you don't have weak spots you can't be bullied.

PS: Do you know how I became a bully? I could never stand the fact that the "cool kids" picked on the "losers", that's why I picked on everyone. I didn't miss out on anyone, be it guy or girl, everyone who deserved being bullied got bullied. I'd be lying if I didn't do it for the fun sometimes, but that was usually just something harmless that just made the entire class laugh except for one person, but I never overdid it. It was kind of helpful that one of my best friends and me always picked at each other (for fun), both of us became "master of words" and had the most creative ways to humiliate someone with just words, always hitting the right spot, which led to the point where I became invulnerable. That would explain my huge ego as well, but that's another story.


Again, the story is not about you. It's about two people who are completely different than you. The main guy got bullied and thought he deserved it, because of what he did to the main girl. With feelings like that he wouldn't oppose his bullies. And thanks to him hating himself as well as there being no one on his side, he became an introvert who's afraid of hurting people and consequently being hurt. He's not you. Did you bully someone to the point he bullied the girl? Did you get bullied like the girl was bullied, to the point where she lost 8 expensive and necessary ear equipments, having your ear cut with that? Or did you perhaps suffered years of bullying thinking you deserved it?

You had a revolution. You were strong enough to stand up after being bullied. Guess what, people aren't you. The girl couldnt' stand up for herself because she blamed herself. And you know why? Because she's deaf, she's different than them, she's in a world ruled by those who hear, those who cannot understand her and don't even try. She was isolated. She hated that part of herself that couldn't do anything. With that mindset she couldn't stand up for herself. And the guy hated himself because he understood the awful things he did. And he too was also isolated from his friends, as the awful bully. Again, with that mindset he couldn't stand up for himself.

Let me tell you the reason I was bullied. I was the new girl. The popular girl didn't like me because she felt I was intruding on her group of friends, so I was bullied. It's as simple as that. She had the whole class' support. She and her groupies bullied me and the rest ignored it. I couldn't beat them up, because I was against it, as I am now. I couldn't became the bully, because I was against it, I didn't want to become someone who hurts other people for whatever reason it is. I simply ignored them the best I could and I didn't seek any help because I wanted to believe I was strong and because I thought that even if I told someone then what? Would they just tell the girls off and make them hate me even more? I didn't want that. So I didn't have my revolution, I simply went on ignoring them, except when I absolutely couldn't. I'm also a different person than you. I'm not saying I'm better than you neither am I saying that you're better than me. We're simply different people who react to things differently and that found different answers to a situation, that made us cope the best. That's it. People are different. And just because two people have different reactions, it doesn't make anything less realistic or fake. They are just two different stories.
Modified by MaryHelen, May 21, 2017 3:23 AM
 
May 21, 2017 4:10 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Kittens-kun said:
Gin-SanCor said:


I didn't say it was the only reason, even when it's the most common. It's meaningless for me if their opinion is the same as mine. What I care is that people could evaluate with a more solid basis. Awfully, you're one example showing that goal is too far from now...



Where's your "solid basis"?


https://myanimelist.net/anime/28851/Koe_no_Katachi/reviews
 
May 21, 2017 4:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 703
mizukasa said:
Yep; just a tad bit overrated. It didn't meet my expectations but I still liked it. It's above average for a movie; a solid 7.5/10 at most.
"Average movie" -> "7.5". it's because of people rating like you that almost everything in MAL in overrated. Not that it affects me tho
 
May 21, 2017 4:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1168
Nostalgik said:
mizukasa said:
Yep; just a tad bit overrated. It didn't meet my expectations but I still liked it. It's above average for a movie; a solid 7.5/10 at most.
"Average movie" -> "7.5". it's because of people rating like you that almost everything in MAL in overrated. Not that it affects me tho


That's average for me, especially for a movie.
Modified by mizukasa, May 21, 2017 4:36 AM
 
May 21, 2017 4:31 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4046
Gin-SanCor said:
Kittens-kun said:



Where's your "solid basis"?


https://myanimelist.net/anime/28851/Koe_no_Katachi/reviews



That's not your own opinion.
 
May 21, 2017 5:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 446
there's a lot of cut scenes and I think some character didnt get the screen time they deserved, still the movie is fine

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

 
May 21, 2017 5:40 AM
Kotori❤Kanbe

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 4068

Cirno9 said:
The movie was a mess... The characters are a mess, that excuse of a story was poorly executed, does it even need any explanation, probably not if you watched the movie.

Our "victim" is so fucking fake. The author tries to build empathy with her cuteness, but what else, her being excluded of that fake drama? It was a torture to watch that.

And our bully... omg never saw so much fake in one fucking character. Ever saw a bully who is physically weak? Me neither.

Heck, I used to bully so many people at school, and that's not how they treated me. They acted fucking nice because they didn't wanted to be bullied, but this guy is just being treated like shit and he does NOTHING about it. Is that supposed to be character development? Feeling guilty is one thing, but becoming such a loser without story to backup is just bullshit. On top of that, would you as a victim do nothing if you are being bullied? Wouldn't you fight back? I would've beaten the shit out of those plebs.

Did I mention all the red flags? Who saw the death of the grandma coming? What was going on through the authors mind when they give a character that contributes nothing to the main story an entire scene? He thought he could build some empathy and just kill named character over night, because why not. How obvious is this outcome?

Not to mention that "suki" scene. Cringe af, and if I as a non native speaker understand what's going on, how can someone with perfect Japanese not understand what she meant, forreal? Does that guy have autism or something?

The other characters were so useless and their personality just adapted to the scenes, just for the sake of forcing drama...

^this wall of text is a mess, the movie is even worse.

PS: Overrated is an understatement.

I agree with most you wrote about. It's a mess, a real mess.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. https://discord.gg/rRn6Jy3 if u want me to face reveal ask in pm
 
May 21, 2017 5:43 AM
Kotori❤Kanbe

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 4068
Gin-SanCor said:
I agree completely with you. I already gave my review in the movie's section. The reason people just gifts 10/10 to this movie is because of their feelings.


Tbh I didn't even cry 1/100 of what other anime made me.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. https://discord.gg/rRn6Jy3 if u want me to face reveal ask in pm
 
May 21, 2017 6:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 114
Cirno9 said:
The movie was a mess... The characters are a mess, that excuse of a story was poorly executed, does it even need any explanation, probably not if you watched the movie.

Our "victim" is so fucking fake. The author tries to build empathy with her cuteness, but what else, her being excluded of that fake drama? It was a torture to watch that.

And our bully... omg never saw so much fake in one fucking character. Ever saw a bully who is physically weak? Me neither.

Heck, I used to bully so many people at school, and that's not how they treated me. They acted fucking nice because they didn't wanted to be bullied, but this guy is just being treated like shit and he does NOTHING about it. Is that supposed to be character development? Feeling guilty is one thing, but becoming such a loser without story to backup is just bullshit. On top of that, would you as a victim do nothing if you are being bullied? Wouldn't you fight back? I would've beaten the shit out of those plebs.

Did I mention all the red flags? Who saw the death of the grandma coming? What was going on through the authors mind when they give a character that contributes nothing to the main story an entire scene? He thought he could build some empathy and just kill named character over night, because why not. How obvious is this outcome?

Not to mention that "suki" scene. Cringe af, and if I as a non native speaker understand what's going on, how can someone with perfect Japanese not understand what she meant, forreal? Does that guy have autism or something?

The other characters were so useless and their personality just adapted to the scenes, just for the sake of forcing drama...

^this wall of text is a mess, the movie is even worse.

PS: Overrated is an understatement.


I agree with you, I just gave it 6/10 because of amazing animation. I felt this movie was empty, and the characters very artificial.
 
May 21, 2017 6:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1053
MaryHelen said:
Cirno9 said:




I got bullied and it was bad, it was fucking awful, BUT I got sick of being bullied after a few weeks (maybe a month) and changed myself in one month to the better. People picked on me because I repeated class and was overweight. Guess what I did, I got good at school and lost weight, started working, always bought the best clothes with my hard earned money. Then I got a new haircut and after 1 month people couldn't recognize me anymore. I became popular, got my first girlfriends and some girls who were not in my class got my phone number and started texting me, yes that actually happened in one fucking month.

Now tell me again after going through this, can you seriously not change as the victim? How am I supposed to believe the story if I just proved that you actually can change? It is partly the victims fault for not changing, if they want to not be bullied then fucking change yourself, do the first step.

What I am trying to say is, become invulnerable to bullying. If you don't have weak spots you can't be bullied.

PS: Do you know how I became a bully? I could never stand the fact that the "cool kids" picked on the "losers", that's why I picked on everyone. I didn't miss out on anyone, be it guy or girl, everyone who deserved being bullied got bullied. I'd be lying if I didn't do it for the fun sometimes, but that was usually just something harmless that just made the entire class laugh except for one person, but I never overdid it. It was kind of helpful that one of my best friends and me always picked at each other (for fun), both of us became "master of words" and had the most creative ways to humiliate someone with just words, always hitting the right spot, which led to the point where I became invulnerable. That would explain my huge ego as well, but that's another story.


Again, the story is not about you. It's about two people who are completely different than you. The main guy got bullied and thought he deserved it, because of what he did to the main girl. With feelings like that he wouldn't oppose his bullies. And thanks to him hating himself as well as there being no one on his side, he became an introvert who's afraid of hurting people and consequently being hurt. He's not you. Did you bully someone to the point he bullied the girl? Did you get bullied like the girl was bullied, to the point where she lost 8 expensive and necessary ear equipments, having your ear cut with that? Or did you perhaps suffered years of bullying thinking you deserved it?

You had a revolution. You were strong enough to stand up after being bullied. Guess what, people aren't you. The girl couldnt' stand up for herself because she blamed herself. And you know why? Because she's deaf, she's different than them, she's in a world ruled by those who hear, those who cannot understand her and don't even try. She was isolated. She hated that part of herself that couldn't do anything. With that mindset she couldn't stand up for herself. And the guy hated himself because he understood the awful things he did. And he too was also isolated from his friends, as the awful bully. Again, with that mindset he couldn't stand up for himself.

Let me tell you the reason I was bullied. I was the new girl. The popular girl didn't like me because she felt I was intruding on her group of friends, so I was bullied. It's as simple as that. She had the whole class' support. She and her groupies bullied me and the rest ignored it. I couldn't beat them up, because I was against it, as I am now. I couldn't became the bully, because I was against it, I didn't want to become someone who hurts other people for whatever reason it is. I simply ignored them the best I could and I didn't seek any help because I wanted to believe I was strong and because I thought that even if I told someone then what? Would they just tell the girls off and make them hate me even more? I didn't want that. So I didn't have my revolution, I simply went on ignoring them, except when I absolutely couldn't. I'm also a different person than you. I'm not saying I'm better than you neither am I saying that you're better than me. We're simply different people who react to things differently and that found different answers to a situation, that made us cope the best. That's it. People are different. And just because two people have different reactions, it doesn't make anything less realistic or fake. They are just two different stories.


I know that the story is not about me, but my backstory is the reason why I can't relate to the movie the slightest bit. I can't relate to you either to be honest.

Well, it's just my nature to go ham when I can motivate myself to do something lol.

 
May 21, 2017 6:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 404
I haven't seen it but I just read summary, then decided to spoil it for myself (summary already made it clear, it's another dull easy to predict plot) by reading plot because I won't even bother watching it.

Seems like another case of people being overly sensitive about nonsense. It has obviously only one plot point and dull characters. Doesn't deserves to be ranked 4th. Obviously overrated. Art seems medicore at best too. Probably 5-6/10. I haven't seen it so I can't give accurate rating, but it obviously isn't 9-10/10.
 
May 21, 2017 7:53 AM
Lovely person

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 310
The fact that I watched Kokoro ga Sakibitagatterunda a few days before is probably affecting my opinion.

I was expecting higher, because it was by Kyoto Animation. Disappointed was I.

First, I wasn't really satisfied with the story. It felt as though the whole plot was about the girl, Shouko, and then for some reason it moved the focus from the girl to the boy at the very end. Like, the very last 2 minutes.

It didn't really have much of a climax (mainly because it was originally supposed to be a series), and I believe Kokosake should be ranked higher than this — it was more climatic, dramatic, and emotionally gut-wrenching.

A 8/10 for me, and I believe this is what it deserves.
 
May 21, 2017 7:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 82
I agree, Kimi no na Wa is overrated.

Oops, this is the thread for Koe no Katachi. Here, the two simple questions you should ask to answer the question "Is Koe no Katachi overrated?":

1. Is Kimi no na Wa rated higher than Koe no Katachi? If yes, Koe no Katachi is underrated and Kimi no na Wa is overrated.
2. Is Koe no Katachi rated perfect 10/10? If yes, then it is overrated. If it is any lower than 9/10, then it is underrated.
 
May 21, 2017 8:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 209
mirocj said:
I agree, Kimi no na Wa is overrated.

Oops, this is the thread for Koe no Katachi. Here, the two simple questions you should ask to answer the question "Is Koe no Katachi overrated?":

1. Is Kimi no na Wa rated higher than Koe no Katachi? If yes, Koe no Katachi is underrated and Kimi no na Wa is overrated.
2. Is Koe no Katachi rated perfect 10/10? If yes, then it is overrated. If it is any lower than 9/10, then it is underrated.
hahaha thats funny, im tired of these threads, it depends on peoples taste, if someones wants their own ratings they should make their own list and stop complaining
 
May 21, 2017 8:19 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Siul-08 said:
mirocj said:
I agree, Kimi no na Wa is overrated.

Oops, this is the thread for Koe no Katachi. Here, the two simple questions you should ask to answer the question "Is Koe no Katachi overrated?":

1. Is Kimi no na Wa rated higher than Koe no Katachi? If yes, Koe no Katachi is underrated and Kimi no na Wa is overrated.
2. Is Koe no Katachi rated perfect 10/10? If yes, then it is overrated. If it is any lower than 9/10, then it is underrated.
hahaha thats funny, im tired of these threads, it depends on peoples taste, if someones wants their own ratings they should make their own list and stop complaining


I can't answer the question...
 
May 21, 2017 8:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1920
mirocj said:
I agree, Kimi no na Wa is overrated.

Oops, this is the thread for Koe no Katachi. Here, the two simple questions you should ask to answer the question "Is Koe no Katachi overrated?":

1. Is Kimi no na Wa rated higher than Koe no Katachi? If yes, Koe no Katachi is underrated and Kimi no na Wa is overrated.
2. Is Koe no Katachi rated perfect 10/10? If yes, then it is overrated. If it is any lower than 9/10, then it is underrated.


^ This user thinks the same as well.

I think Kimi no na wa is good but it is too hyped compared to Koe which is better and less known. All the newby anime fans will know about Kimi no na wa but Joe no Katachi will be secretly known to the medium/pro anime fans
2D>3D enough said. ^_^



 
May 21, 2017 8:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 267
Just another typical school n drama anime that's been glorified way to much because of disabled girl

i gave manga 5/10, anime 6/10
 
May 21, 2017 9:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 39
Overrated indeed. I agree.
Too many plot holes.
Tired of wasted breath
Tired of nothing left
 
May 21, 2017 9:47 AM
Sanji Fangirl

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 24899
That's your opinion dude.
I haven't watched the movie yet, but i know i'll love it cause i love the manga.
 
May 21, 2017 10:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4585
gintamaftw1 said:
I don't understand why people think Clannad is so good.

THIS! THIS IS IS SO ME! *hugs you*

Takamura-sama said:
I mean it was a 7/10 for me. A really good anime, but I think it's slightly overrated.
It feels like Anohana but worse TO ME.
I liked the movie a lot, but you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.

Can Someone tell me why they liked this movie so much? I don't really understand.

It might take me hours to tell you why this movie is so liked. As a person who suffers from anxiety and depression, and yes I attempted suicide, it touched my soul. It taught me a lot of things and no it's not overrated. You wanna talk about something overRATED? Kimi no Na Wa that is. Haha. That's just your mentality. Using the word overrated on this masterpiece of a movie is so 'overrated'! Better use another word.

This movie deserves the attention, the hype, the great ratings than that shit movie "Kimi no Na Wa" because it covers dark topics such as depression, mental blocks, anxiety, abandonment, bullying, disabilities, and suicide. And this movie realistically showed it as close as possible. And it actually showed that you can actually create a movie without focusing a lot on romance. Oh boy that was so satisfying.

WashingMachine45 said:
Not overate, but overhype. Havent watch it yet and some already claims its better than YN. The rate will drop soon.

But IT IS better than Kimi No Na Wa. Hahahahaha!
Modified by TheDoggoneGirl, May 21, 2017 10:18 AM
----------------------------------------
"NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~"
NANACHI (MADE IN ABYSS), 2017
----------------------------------------
 
May 21, 2017 10:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 96
SMGJohn said:
the1ado said:
Agree.
this anime is good but not a masterpiece ,i mean ano hana is better ,for me its 8/10 ,when death note get 8.7 and this one 9.16 we should discuss why ?!,..who said why ? its obvious we already reached the kawaii generation ..cute draw and animation with some over-feeling made 10/10 for some ppl to not say the majority ..

You looking at it wrong, we speaking like 3 vastly different culture areas, Japan, Europe and America.
A masterpiece is vastly different from America and Europe/Japan.

In Europe we think masterpieces are Lawrence of Arabia, War and Peace (Soviet film) and some others.
In Japan again its different, but the complex story telling still remain the same, Tokyo Story, Ghibli and this movie too was rated extremely well, better than Kimi no na wa in Japan and was more successful among older generation.

This movie is designed and made for Japanese audience, Asian if you want to stretch it but not for American audience.
Most Americans think Lawrence of Arabia is a boring movie, but we Europeans paid twice the cinema ticket just to watch it rerun in 4k on cinema.

To begin with, it touches more on social issues in Japan, such as suicide based on guilt and responsibility, and bullying which touches right home for me, in my country bullying was also an issue still is in some areas, but its made illegal now and punishable by law, police will come and get you no matter what age you are, its treated like murder today because of the consequences it does.

So expect high rating from the Japanese/Asian audience, and 6 - 7 from American audience, the culture difference people keep forgetting about it.
u are right in some of it however the point is that i noticed a lot of ppl in my area where bullying is not that thing to talk about rate this anime as masterpiece thats why i said what i said
 
May 21, 2017 10:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1570
i watched it 5 min ago and it is way more better than kimi no na wa it is a great movie it is even slightly underrated rather than overrated and for people saying people give it a ten because i make u cry it didn't make me cry at all not even close to make me cry
 
May 21, 2017 10:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 73
kikyo1hinamora said:
i watched it 5 min ago and it is way more better than kimi no na wa it is a great movie it is even slightly underrated rather than overrated and for people saying people give it a ten because i make u cry it didn't make me cry at all not even close to make me cry
kikyo1hinamora said:
i watched it 5 min ago and it is way more better than kimi no na wa it is a great movie it is even slightly underrated rather than overrated and for people saying people give it a ten because i make u cry it didn't make me cry at all not even close to make me cry


heartless................
 
May 21, 2017 10:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1570
-kikyo- said:
kikyo1hinamora said:
i watched it 5 min ago and it is way more better than kimi no na wa it is a great movie it is even slightly underrated rather than overrated and for people saying people give it a ten because i make u cry it didn't make me cry at all not even close to make me cry
kikyo1hinamora said:
i watched it 5 min ago and it is way more better than kimi no na wa it is a great movie it is even slightly underrated rather than overrated and for people saying people give it a ten because i make u cry it didn't make me cry at all not even close to make me cry


heartless................
shut up u didn't cry
 
May 21, 2017 10:50 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Honestly 9/10 for me. I've read the manga long time ago but I still decided to watch it at the cinema before 17/5 - the day BD came out. Yeah they cut some important part compare to the manga but I still think the anime is well-built with amazing art from KyoAni and beautiful soundtrack. And anyone enjoy the ending in anime more than manga? The way Shota opened his ear and cried when the background music "Lit" played, I incrediably love it ❤️
 
May 21, 2017 10:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 73
kikyo1hinamora said:
-kikyo- said:


heartless................
shut up u didn't cry



stfu I did cry I cried like 10 times XD
my eyes were so red and i have a terrible hadeache now
 
Top
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

Preview MangaManga Store