Forum Settings
Forums

Why are AniDB users so harsh on anime compared to MAL?

New
May 18, 2017 2:32 PM

Apr 2015
I just searched up Busou Shinki, which is a 6.39 here on MAL, but a whopping 2.79 on AniDB. This got me curious about the score comparison of some other anime, and...wowzer.

Gakkougurashi!: 7.70 on MAL, 5.92 on AniDB
High School of the Dead: 7.43 on MAL, 5.89 on AniDB
Watamote: 7.27 on MAL, 4.96 on AniDB

Are MAL users braindead casuals, or are AniDB users the worst kind of elitist?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 18, 2017 2:35 PM
Mar 2011
CatSoul said:
I just searched up Busou Shinki, which is a 6.39 here on MAL, but a whopping 2.79 on AniDB. This got me curious about the score comparison of some other anime, and...wowzer.

Are MAL users braindead casuals, or are AniDB users the worst kind of elitist?

smaller sample size work both ways i think

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 18, 2017 2:40 PM

Feb 2016
I would have to go with brain dead casuals. It's public knowledge that large number of MAL users don't use the scale properly anyway.
May 18, 2017 2:44 PM

Feb 2013
Note that AniDB has 2 ratings - Average and Weighted. The former is just the average (obviously >_>), but the latter has a more complex formula which i think also takes into account the voting users' average rating, so someone with a high average giving the anime a low score has a stronger vote, and vice-versa. Though the actual formula is a company secret, so this might be just speculation.

The real ratings are (MAL/anidb average/anidbweighted)
busou - 6.39 / 5.62 / 2.79
gakko - 7.70 / 6.94 / 5.92
hsotd - 7.43 / 7.35 / 5.89
wata - 7.27 / 6.73 / 4.96

Which are less dramatic, especially for HSOTD. It's also interesting how Gakkougurashi has a lower average but higher weighted.
It could be that the userbase or formula are biased against less popular shows ?_? since HSOTD has 3x the votes of Watamote, and even more vs the others.
But still, the obv answer is that anidb is the elitist site, you can see it in the interface which is too complex for the casual brain to wrap around.

MAL also weights the ratings but in a different way that is only really noticeable on anime with very few ratings.
romagiaMay 18, 2017 2:55 PM
May 18, 2017 2:47 PM

Oct 2014
They are a little harsher but since Anidb has an algorithm to normalize ratings onto a 1.0-10.0 scale with 5.0 being average people could on average rate things 7.8 or 4.2 and it wouldn't make a difference (MAL's average is 6.9).

The median weighted score on Anidb is 4.74 while the average score is 6.06. 6.06 is significantly lower than 6.9, but this isn't the only reason why scores on there are lower.
May 18, 2017 2:57 PM

Feb 2015
Mhh... I dunno but maybe AniDB uses different kind of scoring system. :/
May 18, 2017 3:01 PM

Jul 2015
people here should stop using 7-10 scale

if you think an anime is shit plz give it lower score than 5 ...
May 18, 2017 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
CatSoul said:

Watamote: 4.96 on AniDB

........ AniDB users are clearly braindead elitist!

OT: have never used AniDB so cant talk much on the matter, but my only assumption is that AniDB uses a different rating system to measure everything.
May 18, 2017 3:31 PM

Dec 2012
It's a rare communicable hemorrhoid disorder called Butthurtitis.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 18, 2017 3:41 PM

Jul 2014
I've lurked there and its userbase tends to be more critical as far as I can tell.
Take care of yourself

May 18, 2017 3:49 PM

Oct 2014
anidb is kind of a small sample of more hardcore anime watcher so i would expect than be a little more critical compared MAL,like everybody uses this site no matter how much anime they watch
it being so different really surprises me though
May 18, 2017 3:56 PM

Oct 2010
In the case of Watamote, it's plain shit taste.

What I don't know is how they weigh this rating because the actual average is 6.73.
May 18, 2017 4:11 PM

Jul 2014
Wow people are actually using the scale like it's supposed to be? who knew?
May 18, 2017 4:19 PM

Jul 2016
tragedydesu said:

there's your answer right here... Sums it up pretty well imo
damn, the forums these days...
May 18, 2017 4:26 PM
Jan 2012
Does that site get huge rating boost for things that get popular? Thats the worst thing about MAL.
May 18, 2017 4:41 PM

Jul 2016
Bygyas said:
tragedydesu said:

there's your answer right here... Sums it up pretty well imo

Yeah, people rate everything too high. "I liked it" becomes a 9 when it should be a 7, "it was ok" becomes a 7 when it should be a 5. I believe people want to like a lot of shows more than they actually did. After all, who wants to admit they just watched 24+ episodes of something they'd rate a 4. Maybe giving it a higher rating justifies the time they invested in it. MAL also attracts a lot more casual viewers because it's a practical way to keep track of what you're watching, you can just list and rate what you watch without ever interacting with the community, whereas from what I've seen AniDB is more about interaction which attracts more hardcore fans.
May 18, 2017 4:53 PM

May 2017
the fanbase there are older and smaller. so it make sense. they use the rating system like any sane movie/tv site would do, unlike here. 1-10, and not 6-10.
i am shitposter. dont take me seriously.
May 18, 2017 6:04 PM

Jul 2016
tragedydesu said:

What if you're easy to please and don't watch things you won't like?

CatSoul said:

I agree with the AniDB scores for those.
May 18, 2017 6:07 PM

May 2016
Giving a low score to WataMote is a sure sign of an underdeveloped mind.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 18, 2017 6:07 PM

Oct 2013
That site layout is terrible! Absolutely disgusting.

to op question, yeah it seems like that is the hive mind for harsher scorers. Though snk is still 8+ on that site so that is a good thing I guess. The ranking overall looks pretty decent I will admit.

keragammingMay 18, 2017 6:10 PM
May 18, 2017 6:08 PM
Jul 2018
I don't get people, who rate everything so harsh. I watch anime for fun and having a good time with it. So I have this excited prevailing mood when I start an new show. Of course, I'm not okay with everything and many other things can't catch me, but if they do, I'm ready to rate with a fairly high score. I guess, I'm too good-natured towards anime. ^^"
Even if I have a dozen critic points, I still rate with 7 - 9 sometimes, because they didn't bother me enough. Yes, I'm aware of what's wrong with the things I love, but I don't care too much about it.
If I liked it, I wanna throw many kudos at it. XD Don't wanna feel like a literary critic.
I'm just very inspirable. (Uhm, I also love to study, because I get excited about the stuff. I was that weird kid, who LOVED school) And I want to love the show I watch, if it's possible for me.

tragedydesu said:
People here should stop using 7-10 scale

I drop most of the shows I didn't like in the first episode or at least after 3 - 10 episodes (depends on the length of the anime), so I don't rate too many of them at all.

I think the great number of Pokemon movies lowered my score. Well, they are kinda cute and I like them, but I don't feel like most of them deserve a higher score than 5 or 6.
May 18, 2017 6:11 PM

Apr 2017
Compare this to Rotten Tomatoes, Mostly every anime had a higher rating

Ratings could be impossible and either a fake since every audience itself won't get a lot of hypes OR get satisfied as they watch the show

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
May 18, 2017 6:55 PM

Oct 2015
two opposite sides of the spectrum
mal is the "plebs" and anidb is the "elitists" for the most part.
that's the usual consensus.
problem is, ratings are moronic to begin with. and it's funny if you'd confront the japs about stuff like that, most wouldn't give a crap, even though anime is their thing first and foremost (though you can argue japs have shit taste but as far as i know, they don't actively bash what they don't like like we do - well, that is, except the obsessive fans who go around 2chan and such.. )
anidb is mostly comprised of people who have very little appreciation for the medium, especially the modern era. they're kind of going extinct and you can even tell by the awful interface that site has.
mal on the other hand is comprised by people who disregard and disconsider anything older than modern and often shit on quality things just because it's not muh animu.
point is both communities are flawed as fuck.
but i'd rather stay on mal because people tend to be nicer here, you can have conversations without muh superiority taking control, and the interface is more user-friendly (though it still needs improvement, oh oh oh ohhh)
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 18, 2017 6:56 PM

Aug 2012
I would say it's both, definitely both.
May 18, 2017 9:40 PM
Feb 2014
You just gave me a great idea, perhaps I shall take my act to AniDB!
May 18, 2017 10:03 PM

Apr 2016
That's because people on AniDB think they are big shot critics reviewing a movie which will a lot of awards.

Get real. Some of us here on MAL actually want to enjoy what we are watching. I don't even look at scores when I choose my anime.

I don't mind people being harsh on anime or writing reviews but,giving Watamote a 4.96? That's just stupid.

And there's no such thing as an elitist in an anime community. The people on AniDB takes things too seriously.
May 18, 2017 10:32 PM

Aug 2008
Their rating might be different but their top rated shows is about the same as MAL.

https://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?type.web=1&type.unknown=1&type.tvspecial=1&type.tvseries=1&type.ova=1&type.other=1&type.musicvideo=1&type.movie=1&show=animelist&orderby.rating=0.2&orderby.name=1.1&noalias=1&do.filter=1

https://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?type.web=1&type.unknown=1&type.tvspecial=1&type.tvseries=1&type.ova=1&type.other=1&type.musicvideo=1&type.movie=1&show=animelist&orderby.rating=1.2&orderby.name=2.1&orderby.average=0.2&noalias=1&do.filter=1

No big deal really.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
May 18, 2017 10:46 PM
Mar 2011
Sjo said:
problem is, ratings are moronic to begin with. and it's funny if you'd confront the japs about stuff like that, most wouldn't give a crap, even though anime is their thing first and foremost (though you can argue japs have shit taste but as far as i know, they don't actively bash what they don't like like we do - well, that is, except the obsessive fans who go around 2chan and such.. )
anidb is mostly comprised of people who have very little appreciation for the medium, especially the modern era. they're kind of going extinct and you can even tell by the awful interface that site has.
mal on the other hand is comprised by people who disregard and disconsider anything older than modern and often shit on quality things just because it's not muh animu.
but i'd rather stay on mal because people tend to be nicer here, you can have conversations without muh superiority taking control, and the interface is more user-friendly (though it still needs improvement, oh oh oh ohhh)

im sorry based on rviews that iv read over there there the same amount of late night anime worrship as on mal
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 18, 2017 11:38 PM

Oct 2015
DateYutaka said:
Sjo said:

im sorry based on rviews that iv read over there there the same amount of late night anime worrship as on mal

i don't understand what you wanted to say. try expressing yourself differently
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 18, 2017 11:44 PM

Feb 2013
Sjo said:
DateYutaka said:

on both mal and anidb there are many good reviews for late night anime, which are not so big in japan
by extension, most popular and high rated anime on both sites are late night anime
this relates mostly to the first sentence of your post
May 18, 2017 11:52 PM

Aug 2016
Could it be that more people are using mal than anidb

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 18, 2017 11:56 PM

Oct 2015
romagia said:
Sjo said:

on both mal and anidb there are many good reviews for late night anime, which are not so big in japan
by extension, most popular and high rated anime on both sites are late night anime
this relates mostly to the first sentence of your post

ah, well it was a summary of the general perception of both sites as compared to one another.
May 19, 2017 12:16 AM

Sep 2015
Being harsh and being unreasonable is two different things.

MAL ratings are close to the upper one. An anime below the mid 7's here are considered bad or at least a gamble. Nearly of the ranked TV anime with weighted score is 7.0 or above. This is a really disproportionate scale.
May 19, 2017 1:16 PM

Dec 2011
I use ratings to indicate my own personal enjoyment of an anime. Don't really get to critical about anything unless a show forces me to by being good enough to warrant such treatment.

Anyone who thinks the way I rate anime is definitively the 'wrong way' is just a clown. I do shit for myself, not for you or this stupid community, so fuck off already! ;P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2017 1:30 PM

Jun 2016
Noragami has a 6.45 so it clearly shows that the people on that website don't have good taste in anime

YabokuMay 19, 2017 1:38 PM
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
May 19, 2017 1:41 PM
Jul 2018
Because AniDB users can't use a 10-point system. Seriously how is 5 a good score? 50%, seriously? If I hated half of every series I watched I would quit watching anime.
May 19, 2017 1:54 PM

Oct 2016
Maneki-Mew said:
I don't get people, who rate everything so harsh. I watch anime for fun and having a good time with it. So I have this excited prevailing mood when I start an new show. Of course, I'm not okay with everything and many other things can't catch me, but if they do, I'm ready to rate with a fairly high score. I guess, I'm too good-natured towards anime. ^^"
Even if I have a dozen critic points, I still rate with 7 - 9 sometimes, because they didn't bother me enough. Yes, I'm aware of what's wrong with the things I love, but I don't care too much about it.
If I liked it, I wanna throw many kudos at it. XD Don't wanna feel like a literary critic.
I'm just very inspirable. (Uhm, I also love to study, because I get excited about the stuff. I was that weird kid, who LOVED school) And I want to love the show I watch, if it's possible for me.

^This.
We're supposed to have fun afterall, aren't we?

My ratings are there to remind myself of how much I enjoyed the anime i've watched. I mean, this is MyAnimeList, right?

Omkar_Nagwade said:
That's because people on AniDB think they are big shot critics reviewing a movie which will a lot of awards.

Get real. Some of us here on MAL actually want to enjoy what we are watching. I don't even look at scores when I choose my anime.

I don't mind people being harsh on anime or writing reviews but,giving Watamote a 4.96? That's just stupid.

And there's no such thing as an elitist in an anime community. The people on AniDB takes things too seriously.

And this^ specially bold part.

I think most of us tend to call people who take things too seriously elitits, that's it. But honestly i don't even understand why would someone waste their time being harsh towards an anime they don't give a damn about.

I wonder if they get any enjoyment from their watching while putting all their effort on playing the "big shot critics".

So yeah, the point here is having fun, isn't it?

May 19, 2017 1:58 PM

Feb 2016
I think anidb is more obscure therefore generally speaking less newbies and more experienced watchers use that site. Most newbies use the ratings like we see in @Heldengeist's 'modern review scale'.
The levels of retardation and popularity of this procedure are so high that I really stopped caring or trying to talk people out of this nonsense.
So basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

May 19, 2017 2:04 PM

Jan 2014
The amount of irony coming from this thread is too good.

Anyway, take a shot anytime a mal user: mentions a series they like getting a low score at AniDB, uses the words "elitist" or "casual", or mentions anime shouldn't be taken so seriously.
May 19, 2017 2:10 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
How is low scores on decent anime being "harsh"? I don't get it OP
May 19, 2017 2:14 PM

Dec 2015
jal90 said:
In the case of Watamote, it's plain shit taste.

I agree with you sir.

Zelkiiro said:
Giving a low score to WataMote is a sure sign of an underdeveloped mind.

I agree with you sir.
May 19, 2017 2:39 PM

Sep 2016
because MAL users are idiots who think average is 7/10
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 19, 2017 2:51 PM

Feb 2012
I would say because the amount of users on AniDB pale in comparison with the amount on MAL. Therefore... I think you should see where I'm going with this
May 19, 2017 3:23 PM

Mar 2017
I simply cannot comprehend how often something so ridiculously simple is misunderstood.

A.) Yes, 5/10 should be the line for mediocrity, not 7/10. Frankly, it baffles me but

B.) Users are not obliged to finish a series. A lot of users may not have ratings 5 below simply because they dropped those they consider 5-below. Because unless that user is a f*cking masochist or have absolutely f*ck-all going in his/her life, he/she would prefer to watch a series worth at least a 7/10 in his/her scale. And if they drop a series, it is perfectly understandable and commendable that they do not rate it. Hence, skewed ratings favoring those who watched a show through and, more than likely, loved it.

Ca-f*cking-piche?
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
May 19, 2017 3:57 PM

Jun 2015
I dont use anidb but i dont gove a shit abt rating anyways, these mal ratings are for my own personal use..... despite my using the 1 to 10 scale as intended.

plus the shows you mentioned are nt ones I care abt....

so ........
May 19, 2017 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
Ainosense said:
Maneki-Mew said:

^This.
We're supposed to have fun afterall, aren't we?

My ratings are there to remind myself of how much I enjoyed the anime i've watched. I mean, this is MyAnimeList, right?

Omkar_Nagwade said:

And this^ specially bold part.

I think most of us tend to call people who take things too seriously elitits, that's it. But honestly i don't even understand why would someone waste their time being harsh towards an anime they don't give a damn about.

I wonder if they get any enjoyment from their watching while putting all their effort on playing the "big shot critics".

So yeah, the point here is having fun, isn't it?

Agree. ^

I must admit that I scored a few things with 3 or 4, but you can count them on one hand. I don't wanna waste my time with (too many) things I dislike.
I'm okay with the advice "the scale goes from 1 to 10, not 6 or 7 to 10". But the scale doesn't go from 1 - 6 either. If I see so many low scores on this site (their design is outdated by the way and eye cancer x.x), I don't know why these people watch anime. Or at least genres they don't like.
Or I just don't understand how they use scores... or they disagree with my opinion of using score. XD If their mean score is something like 4.56, it says that the majority of anime you have watched lies somewhere inbetween bad (4) and average (5)? How is this even possible?

I don't go to the cinema either and dislike almost every movie, because you have to spend money on it and so you choose a movie you'd probably like. There are some disappointed movies for me sometimes (and I didn't choose many of them by myself, because I was with friends - I was too afraid to bitch about Pacific Rim afterwards, I hate mechas and a friend was too afraid to bitch about Assassin's Creed XD), but I was okay with most of them at least and liked the majority.

You get to know "your" studios and your genres after all the years you're watching entertainment media. So, I know that I definitely watch every Dreamworks and Disney Pixar, Marvel and DC movie. I knew, I will definitely and absolutely love and adore Fantastic Beasts, if they didn't make huge, huge mistakes. At least I liked Blade Runner and the Divergent series a little bit, because I loved the Hunger Games and dystopias too.

Maybe, it's because you don't pay for every anime. Most people don't and many others like me just buy their favorites or anime they really liked.
Maybe that's why people (including myself) don't choose anime as careful as cinema movies, if they are bored at the moment. They click on the next best anime on their favorite anime-watching website. It's like flipping through TV channels. You will come across lots of trash / things you won't like. A lot of. You save a lot time, if you aren't flipping through TV channels and pick some series etc... more selective.
I bet, I won't watch the half or like 50 anime of my PTW-list either. I just added them, because I could. It's just one click. XD

Likewise, I don't watch a dozen of magical girl anime, typical shoujos with art style I don't like etc... either and rant about the whole genre later on, but I give the most Shounen and Fantasy a chance, because I happened to like many anime from that genre(s) (demographic however).

Too long, don't read: People know their taste and choose what they probaby will like. That explains their high scores. And they drop things they don't like without rating them.
I mean, I can't understand the mindset of: I didn't like the fifteen Shoujo / Shounen / Magical Girls / Slice Of Life / Fantasy / however anime before, let's watch another one. XD

Yaboku said:
Noragami has a 6.45 so it clearly shows that the people on that website don't have good taste in anime

Yeah, right? :(
removed-userMay 19, 2017 4:26 PM
May 19, 2017 4:42 PM

Oct 2016
Maneki-Mew said:

I must admit that I scored a few things with 3 or 4, but you can count them on one hand. I don't wanna waste my time with (too many) things I dislike.
I'm okay with the advice "the scale goes from 1 to 10, not 6 or 7 to 10". But the scale doesn't go from 1 - 6 either. If I see so many low scores on this site (their design is outdated by the way and eye cancer x.x), I don't know why these people watch anime. Or at least genres they don't like.
Or I just don't understand how they use scores... or they disagree with my opinion of using score. XD If their mean score is something like 4.56, it says that the majority of animes you have watched lies somewhere inbetween bad (4) and average (5)? How is this even possible?

I don't go to the cinema either and dislike almost every movie, because you have to spend money on it and so you choose a movie you'd probably like. There are some disappointed movies for me sometimes (and I didn't choose many of them by myself, because I was with friends - I was too afraid to bitch about Pacific Rim afterwards, I hate mechas and a friend was too afraid to bitch about Assassin's Creed XD), but I was okay with most of them at least and liked the majority.

You get to know "your" studios and your genres after all the years you're watching entertainment media. So, I know that I definitely watch every Dreamworks and Disney Pixar, Marvel and DC movie. I knew, I will definitely and absolutely love and adore Fantastic Beasts, if they didn't make huge, huge mistakes. At least I liked Blade Runner and the Divergent series a little bit, because I loved the Hunger Games and dystopias too.

Maybe, it's because you don't pay for every anime. Most people don't and many others like me just buy their favorites or anime they really liked.
Maybe that's why people (including myself) don't choose anime as careful as cinema movies, if they are bored at the moment. They click on the next best anime on their favorite anime-watching website. It's like flipping through TV channels. You will come across lots of trash / things you won't like. A lot of. You save a lot time, if you aren't flipping through TV channels and pick some series etc... more selective.
I bet, I won't watch the half or like 50 anime of my PTW-list either. I just added them, because I could. It's just one click. XD

Likewise, I don't watch a dozen of magical girl anime, typical shoujos with art style I don't like etc... either and rant about the whole genre later on, but I give the most Shounen and Fantasy a chance, because I happened to like many anime from that genre(s) (demographic however).

Too long, don't read: People know their taste and choose what they probaby will like. That explains their high scores. And they drop things they don't like without rating them.
I mean, I can't understand the mindset of: I didn't like the fifteen Shoujo / Shounen / Magical Girls / Slice Of Life / Fantasy / however anime before, let's watch another one. XD

Yaboku said:

Yeah, right? :(

Uhm! I admit that was entertaining to read. We share some thoughts~

That's pretty much it. I think i've babbled about it before a few times.
Why the heck would you pick something to watch when you know you will NOT enjoy it? Seriously, what's the point on doing that? Here we get either that or the "i dropped this show @ep 1, 5min. I don't know anything about it, but i'll still trashtalk it because i can".

Random note: You can scroll throught my list and you won't find a single sports or yaoi anime because those are the genres i completly dislike, so i don't watch them.

May 19, 2017 7:13 PM

Jul 2015
Low scores usually mean:

1. You have high/possibly unrealistic standards.

2. No drop policy.

3. Unfamiliar with personal taste.

4. Expectations of a particular anime.
Mar 1, 2019 9:44 PM
Jan 2019
So I have no problem necro-bumping a thread... ahaha... just wanted to get that out of the way. I did only just see this conversation.

I suppose the average of anime in existence should be about a 5.5 (the mean of a 1 to 10 scale). Possible reasons why the actual average on a site like this is higher:
1) People aren't as likely to finish a series they don't like, and are also less likely to rate a series they don't finish.
2) People are less likely to even start watching something that isn't recommended by a friend or looks good to them before they start, which I would guess means there's a bias in what even starts getting watched.

I'm very much affected by (2). For (1), I at least am fine with rating some series I drop. It's not like there's a warning or anything official I've seen asking me not to. There are also times where I feel I didn't give a series enough of a shot to rate it, so this also affects me to some degree.

I'm surprised no one has pointed out the words associated with the numbers. I can't think of anything I find "appalling," so I haven't rated anything 1. I do tend toward 7, because if I think something is "good" that's the rating it gets. I end up watching series that I find "good", "very good", and "great", much more than I end up watching series that would get scores less than that, so yeah, my ratings are skewed.
Mar 1, 2019 11:00 PM
Aug 2016
Imagine using AniDB for anything other than finding fansubs releases of latest hentai OVAs
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

51 by LostSpectre »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 6 hours ago

26 by Zimmu »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 5 hours ago

9 by TRC_Randy »»
29 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 10 hours ago

9 by velvetnyan »»
30 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

70 by Pikmin404 »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.