Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
#1
May 18, 11:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1226
so hi i am bored .so like u all knows there are many many anime here on mal that has like less than 40000 users and probably this number won't increase for most of them since a lot of anime watchers will watch anime that has only more than 70000 users or something like that.s here is my idea let's choose every month an anime that has less than 40000 users and try it this will help us to discover some anime gems some master peace that no one knew about before and maybe will help us finding some anime worst than mars of destruction so who knows .so if this idea work it would be great.
users will suggest on my profile some anime that has less than 40000 users that they think they deserve to be watched after that they will be putted in a poll on mal and after that that one unpopular anime will be chosen and we will have to try it and add it to our lists .
ps i know that this idea is almost impossible to become real but at least i tried
 
#2
May 18, 11:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 986
So, you want bad anime?

OP, you don't need to look over the unpopular for that, just watch a bunch of seasonals, 90% of them are trash.
“One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.”
 
#3
May 18, 11:37 AM

Online
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1635
Just go to the Hidden Gems of Anime club, they do exactly that. There is even a Hidden Gems of Manga club.

I found obscure anime/manga here. An another way to "boost" their popularity are the recommendation thread. When i read Basara, Kakukaku Shikajika, Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, Takemitsu Zamurai, YKK ecc... they had less than 1k members. They are not popular like FMA but some of them are reaching the 9/10k members which is not bad on MAL.
 
#4
May 18, 11:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1226
Noesnecesario said:
So, you want bad anime?

OP, you don't need to look over the unpopular for that, just watch a bunch of seasonals, 90% of them are trash.
unpopular doesn't mean bad for sure it may just mean that they existed before mal or there were over hyped anime in the same season with them
 
#5
May 18, 11:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 986
kikyo1hinamora said:
Noesnecesario said:
So, you want bad anime?

OP, you don't need to look over the unpopular for that, just watch a bunch of seasonals, 90% of them are trash.
unpopular doesn't mean bad for sure it may just mean that they existed before mal or there were over hyped anime in the same season with them


I meant about this statement:

kikyo1hinamora said:
help us finding some anime worst than mars of destruction


But you're right.
“One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.”
 
#6
May 18, 11:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 13250
kikyo1hinamora said:
ps i know that this idea is almost impossible to become real but at least i tried
yep and you would be right about it xd i dont think many people would like to watch an anime just because it has <40k users and was rated in a poll

but on another note, the idea itself is alright, as there are some anime i've heard mentioned in a good light relatively often that have <40k users, and would likely get voted on fanbase alone if such a poll were made (on AD at least), like Angel Egg and Inferno Cop

but it would be best to watch stuff you're genuinely interested in popular or not..


also i'd say that the obscurer you go, the masterpieces and mars of destruction-s get more subjective, if that makes sense..


if one of your goals is to familiarze yourself with less popular anime titles, you could look up your favourite anime's seiyuu, director, writer, studio, tvtropes page, etc; older stuff are usually <40k members by default

conversely, newer anime have more members by default, but there are still plenty of obscurer ones... you could try to look at one of those alphabetical seasonal charts and pick anime by yourself going by the poster+premise instead of going with the most hyped shit, Youtube top 10s or whatever reason Akashic Records is the 3rd most popular anime of the season; you're bound to find something you're interested in that has <40k members sooner or later i hope{though it seems you already to that ?_? maybe older season charts?}
Modified by romagia, May 18, 12:03 PM
 
 
#8
May 18, 12:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 9661
Johnnyd3rp said:
Just go to the Hidden Gems of Anime club, they do exactly that. There is even a Hidden Gems of Manga club.

I found obscure anime/manga here. An another way to "boost" their popularity are the recommendation thread. When i read Basara, Kakukaku Shikajika, Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, Takemitsu Zamurai, YKK ecc... they had less than 1k members. They are not popular like FMA but some of them are reaching the 9/10k members which is not bad on MAL.
Not sure about on MAL but YKK has always been really popular.
 
#9
May 18, 12:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 11643
Even when only included anime with over 50 votes the average member count for an anime is 3,400 meaning that 50% of all anime have fewer members than that. Anime with over 40,000 members are actually just outside of the top 15% most popular anime. If the bottom 85% is what you'll be watching you'll find a lot of good ones before you get to the trash tier of anime.
 
May 18, 12:19 PM

Online
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1635
codephat said:
Johnnyd3rp said:
Just go to the Hidden Gems of Anime club, they do exactly that. There is even a Hidden Gems of Manga club.

I found obscure anime/manga here. An another way to "boost" their popularity are the recommendation thread. When i read Basara, Kakukaku Shikajika, Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, Takemitsu Zamurai, YKK ecc... they had less than 1k members. They are not popular like FMA but some of them are reaching the 9/10k members which is not bad on MAL.
Not sure about on MAL but YKK has always been really popular.


When i discovered it on MAL (i always used MAL but i only registred recently) it was under the 2k member now they are 7k.
 
May 18, 12:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 3158
Can everyone please watch Oh! Edo Rocket? It's got names from KLK attached to it! Madhouse! Puffy AmiYumi! A full dub by Funimation!

And yet it just cracked 3,000 users scored. >_>

"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
 
May 18, 12:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 9661
Johnnyd3rp said:
codephat said:
Not sure about on MAL but YKK has always been really popular.


When i discovered it on MAL (i always used MAL but i only registred recently) it was under the 2k member now they are 7k.
You're just looking at the completed stat, I guess.

Anyway, the series was well known when publishing. It's even been awarded. MAL manga numbers are weird since most people don't like to read. Even though there's not much reading in YKK lol.
 
May 18, 12:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 567
I think most people look at the top anime instead of most popular anime.


About me
If you have the time...

Anime List
Not updated
Manga List
Not updated
 
May 18, 6:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 8638
Okay OP... I get what you want to do... You want to make AD livier by watching some stuff that you hate and rant about it...

I'm waiting for it.. :) :)



 
May 18, 6:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 822
i honestly don't know which of my watched anime are <40k and i'm way too lazy to figure it out. but you can glance over my list if it helps
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
 
May 18, 6:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 1368
Try any obscure anime, if you're truly interested in their fine work of art

Like Tatami Galaxy (Highly Recommended)







Top 10's are for wankers anyways... Oh plss no need to be autistic about having a HUMAN NATURE taste by that Special Snowflake EGO of yours Cause it's unrealistically "R E T A R D E D"








 
May 18, 6:39 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1457
The fact that everyone doesn't already know about Now and Then, Here and There and Fantastic Children is a goddamn travesty.

<- This sig made by silverwhirlwind glows with an awesome power!
It contains my superior Anime Reviews! The latest: Koe no Katachi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is more of my wisdom:

"Sword Art Online is garbage. Yes, both seasons. And so is Elfen Lied.
Tsundere is a lazy character trope, and only Lina Inverse does it right.
If anyone tells you the Fruits Basket anime is bad, they're wrong.
One Punch Man and WataMote are actually great. You're just dumb."
 
May 18, 7:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 8700
Pyxus said:
I think most people look at the top anime instead of most popular anime.


which are mostly popular anime anyways.
 
May 18, 7:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 625
Kemono no Souja Erin is completed by 11,788 users so there's that.

Area 88 (2004) is completed by 4,225 users which is a shame because while the show is not really that good or standout, f*ck mecha shows, combat aviation is where it's at.

Sekkou Boys is completed by 15,474 users which is totally understandable because they should have done the main attractions the same way Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion did theirs, and by that I mean fully animated singing bust heads, but still...
Modified by le_halfhand_easy, May 18, 7:42 PM
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
"If you only do what you can do, you’ll never be better than what you are." -Kung Fu Panda 3
I am the Sassquatch. (Get it? Because sass-... I'm so lonely.)
 
May 18, 7:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 744
It'll take a human sacrifice to make Giant Robo popular, and I'm not volunteering.
 
May 18, 7:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 6055
Uh why?

As if people would watch shows simply because they're unpopular.

Also, lel at the 40k users.
 
May 18, 7:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 1036
I'm making both unpopular anime and fairly popular anime more popular. I know it's working because I look at the stats tab for them every day.

Watch. I can do it with this video, for example.



Maybe with merchandise for it, too.

There will be naisu things when this notice is changed.
 
May 19, 9:29 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 10858
CatSoul said:
Can everyone please watch Oh! Edo Rocket? It's got names from KLK attached to it! Madhouse! Puffy AmiYumi! A full dub by Funimation!

And yet it just cracked 3,000 users scored. >_>


Seikichi and Sora thank you for your support! BTW, though the script for Rocket is based on Nakashima Kazuki's stage play, the adaptation was scripted by Aikawa Shou and directed by Mizushima Seiji.

I watched Rocket when it was released. It took a long time for the fansubs to be completed because the translator for Shinsen-subs, "Tom & Jerry," worked long and hard on conveying the material in the script to English viewers. With only intermittent releases, the show never really built up a strong following among contemporaneous Western viewers. The thread for this show at AnimeSuki has only 185 posts compared to about 1,600 for Seirei no Moribito, 1,354 for Nodame Cantabile, and 1,121 for Dennou Coil, three other sterling shows that aired in the same year as Rocket.

I never expected Rocket to be licensed in North America thinking it was "too Japanese." Apparently Funimation agreed with that assessment since their script is more "localized" with things like Elvis references. Aikawa and company also thought this, since during the brief recap that opens episode fifteen he has the cast wonder how the material in those scenes will play with foreign viewers!

Here is the Funimation version which airs for free on YouTube. However I suggest tracking down the Shinsen torrent which is still on some trackers.

Modified by SeijiSensei, May 19, 9:34 AM
 
May 19, 9:34 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 1665
Making unpopular anime popular sounds like a bad idea to me. I understand suggesting it to people but there's no way something would become popular without it appealing to a mass of people. You can't just force a show on others ya know?

But you at least did try.
 
May 19, 9:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 450
kikyo1hinamora said:
help us finding some anime worst than mars of destruction so who knows .
So... you want School City Valanoir?
 
May 19, 9:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 13250
RnDNEET021 said:
Try any obscure anime, if you're truly interested in their fine work of art

Like Tatami Galaxy (Highly Recommended)
funnily it wouldn't qualify for op's 40000 user limit, even if you only count ratings

if you want some real obscure masterpiece try Genma Taisen

Sjo said:
i honestly don't know which of my watched anime are <40k and i'm way too lazy to figure it out. but you can glance over my list if it helps
like half your faves
cant believe top wo nerae has more than 40k lol

Pyxus said:
I think most people look at the top anime instead of most popular anime.
and quickly run away after seeing all those long runners, 999th seasons and sports anime
 
May 19, 10:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 24822
Idk, obscure depends a lot on the person. People in this thread call Tatami Galaxy obscure and OP themselves say under 40k is obscure but to me those shows are still very well known and I've usually been aware of them since early on in my anime career. As zombie_pegasus pointed out over 40k is just the top 15% which is like the most popular stuff in the whole medium. from like 10k-40k the 'average popularity' stuff happens. IMO under 5k completed obscurity begins, and the stuff nobody ever talks about beings in the triple digit watching numbers (below 1000).


Here is my s tandard list of some obscure stuff that deserves more attention:

Hyouge Mono, Hanada Shounen-Shi, Legendary Gamble Tetsuya, Salaryman Kintarou, Tentai Senshi Sunred, Yomigaeru Sora, Genshi Shounen Ryu, Takarajima, Gallery Fake, Master Keaton, Ie Naki Ko, Sirius no Densetsu, Yousei Florence etc...
jal90 said:

It's quite dishonest and typically trollish logic to say that the fault lies in sensitive people when you do stuff on purpose to bother them.

 
May 19, 10:21 AM

Online
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1635
le_halfhand_easy said:
Kemono no Souja Erin is completed by 11,788 users so there's that.

Area 88 (2004) is completed by 4,225 users which is a shame because while the show is not really that good or standout, f*ck mecha shows, combat aviation is where it's at.

Sekkou Boys is completed by 15,474 users which is totally understandable because they should have done the main attractions the same way Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion did theirs, and by that I mean fully animated singing bust heads, but still...


The OVAs of Area 88 (which i prefer over the tv series) have even less completed users.

An another obscure anime is Otona Joshi Anime Time, recommended to people who look for mature stories and good written female characters.
 
May 19, 10:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 7052
le_halfhand_easy said:

Area 88 (2004) is completed by 4,225 users which is a shame because while the show is not really that good or standout, f*ck mecha shows, combat aviation is where it's at.

I saw both the TV show and the 80's OVA, and I'd suggest watching the OVA first and foremost. It's IMO superior in every department, and it's undeniable when it comes to the visuals (Area 88 TV is probably the ugliest case of 3d CG in a trad animation show I saw yet)

If you enjoyed the TV show, watch the OVA. If you're hesitating between both, watch the OVA. If you saw the OVA and want to watch the TV show, rewatch the OVA instead, you'll do yourself a favor :^).

No, really, it's hard to love that OVA and hate that TV show as much as I do (^:

edit: ninja'ed by Johnnyd3rp :c
 
May 19, 10:33 AM

Online
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1635
Clebardman said:
le_halfhand_easy said:

Area 88 (2004) is completed by 4,225 users which is a shame because while the show is not really that good or standout, f*ck mecha shows, combat aviation is where it's at.

I saw both the TV show and the 80's OVA, and I'd suggest watching the OVA first and foremost. It's IMO superior in every department, and it's undeniable when it comes to the visuals (Area 88 TV is probably the ugliest case of 3d CG in a trad animation show I saw yet)

If you enjoyed the TV show, watch the OVA. If you're hesitating between both, watch the OVA. If you saw the OVA and want to watch the TV show, rewatch the OVA instead, you'll do yourself a favor :^).

No, really, it's hard to love that OVA and hate that TV show as much as I do (^:

edit: ninja'ed by Johnnyd3rp :c


I watched a couple of episodes of the tv series and dropped it, i found that even the soundtrack in the OVAS was much better.

Lately i listen a lot the Area 88 ost :D
 
May 19, 10:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 7052
@Johnnyd3rp I'm listening to Megazone 23, City Hunter, Venus Senki and Area 88 these days hehehe. Got a weird urge to drown in the 80's :c



Oh, City Hunter is great too. Recommended to Golden Boy and GTO fans.
 
May 19, 10:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 24822
Clebardman said:
@Johnnyd3rp I'm listening to Megazone 23, City Hunter, Venus Senki and Area 88 these days hehehe. Got a weird urge to drown in the 80's :c



Oh, City Hunter is great too. Recommended to Golden Boy and GTO fans.


Check this out for some nice 80s OVA goodness soundtracks:


That whole channel is pretty great for older anime OSTs.
Modified by Pullman, May 19, 1:42 PM
jal90 said:

It's quite dishonest and typically trollish logic to say that the fault lies in sensitive people when you do stuff on purpose to bother them.

 
May 19, 10:48 AM

Online
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1635
Clebardman said:
@Johnnyd3rp I'm listening to Megazone 23, City Hunter, Venus Senki and Area 88 these days hehehe. Got a weird urge to drown in the 80's :c



Oh, City Hunter is great too. Recommended to Golden Boy and GTO fans.


The most 80s song:



I can't think of a soundtrack from the 80s that i hate.
 
May 19, 10:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 567
I'm going off topic but is liking mainstream anime wrong?


About me
If you have the time...

Anime List
Not updated
Manga List
Not updated
 
May 19, 11:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 7052
@Pullman Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out <:

edit: I get a weird Youtube error

@Johnnyd3rp I really need to watch Cat's Eye. That mangaka is funny :-3
 
May 19, 1:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 318
kikyo1hinamora said:
here is my idea let's choose every month an anime that has less than 40000 users and try it this will help us to discover some anime gems some master peace that no one knew about


I'm doing this for around a year now. When I have nothing to do, I just go on a trip to the world of obscure and/or low rated anime.
 
May 19, 1:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 4914
Most unpopular anime is unpopular for good reasons anyway. If, in the off chance it's actually good, it's either old or it only appeals to a niche audience.
 
May 19, 2:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 24822
Milennin said:
Most unpopular anime is unpopular for good reasons anyway. If, in the off chance it's actually good, it's either old or it only appeals to a niche audience.


How is being old or not being a mainstream show good reasons? Those factors as well as when and how fast subs were availabe (no subs while it aired = never gonna be popular) are all stuff that applies independent from the quality of the anime and never gives a large amount of shows even a chance at popularity. Popularity says more about the circumstances than it says about how good the actual anime is.
jal90 said:

It's quite dishonest and typically trollish logic to say that the fault lies in sensitive people when you do stuff on purpose to bother them.

 
May 19, 2:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 4914
Pullman said:
How is being old or not being a mainstream show good reasons? Those factors as well as when and how fast subs were availabe (no subs while it aired = never gonna be popular) are all stuff that applies independent from the quality of the anime and never gives a large amount of shows even a chance at popularity. Popularity says more about the circumstances than it says about how good the actual anime is.

If it's old (and especially if also unpopular), it's generally difficult to find, so most people won't bother or don't know where to find it, so it has no chance of gaining popularity.
If it appeals to a niche audience, it means there is only a small percentage of people who would enjoy such a show, hence its lack of popularity. The only way for a show like this to become popular is if there is a major shift in viewer base interests.

Popularity often means it either got good production values, or it appeals to mainstream audience, or both. It also needs to be easily available for people to watch.
 
May 19, 7:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 3696
If it ain't translated, good luck finding it. RIP unpopular animu.
 
May 19, 7:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 822
@romagia well, impecable taste is rare :^)
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
 
May 20, 12:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 13250
Milennin said:
Pullman said:
How is being old or not being a mainstream show good reasons? Those factors as well as when and how fast subs were availabe (no subs while it aired = never gonna be popular) are all stuff that applies independent from the quality of the anime and never gives a large amount of shows even a chance at popularity. Popularity says more about the circumstances than it says about how good the actual anime is.

If it's old (and especially if also unpopular), it's generally difficult to find, so most people won't bother or don't know where to find it, so it has no chance of gaining popularity.
in the days of kissanime and such, this is not a problem anymore
 
May 20, 1:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 4914
romagia said:
in the days of kissanime and such, this is not a problem anymore

I can't even find subbed episodes for Getter Robo: Sekai Saigo no Hi beyond the first 3, and that was made in the late 90s.
 
May 20, 1:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 13250
Milennin said:
romagia said:
in the days of kissanime and such, this is not a problem anymore

I can't even find subbed episodes for Getter Robo: Sekai Saigo no Hi beyond the first 3, and that was made in the late 90s.
if that's the same anime as Getter Robo: Armageddon, then you can find the full series subbed and dubbed on kiss
or even better, on 9anime which doesnt get mad at adblock
 
May 20, 2:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 318
Milennin said:
Most unpopular anime is unpopular for good reasons anyway. If, in the off chance it's actually good, it's either old or it only appeals to a niche audience.


Or it's on OVA series. For example Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 with 26 normal length episode, production quality that leaves the vast mayority of TV anime in dust, currently the 99th highest rated anime, with less then 50k members added to their lists and half of them only planning to watch it. Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin with 6 episodes, 4 already out, 1hrs long each and with a rating of 8.40 the 155th highest rated anime, with less than 20k members. Gundam: Unicorn right below it with the rating of 8.37 and 7 over 1hrs long episodes, with a little over 40k members and less than 20k of them completed. A recent discovery of mine Re: Cutie Honey, with 3 episodes 45mins each, from the director of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill and a funky OST and less than 12k members.

Or movies. Mardock Scramble, one of the best cyber punk stories since 2010, with less than 45k members on the first movie. Steamboy, from the director of Akira with a little below 44k members. The Memories anthology, the first movie written by Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers), the third one directed buy and Otomo Katsuhiro (Akira, Steamboy) and barely over 42k members, half of them only plans to watch.
 
May 20, 3:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 13250
Heldengeist said:
Milennin said:
Most unpopular anime is unpopular for good reasons anyway. If, in the off chance it's actually good, it's either old or it only appeals to a niche audience.


Or it's on OVA series. For example Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 with 26 normal length episode, production quality that leaves the vast mayority of TV anime in dust, currently the 99th highest rated anime, with less then 50k members added to their lists and half of them only planning to watch it. Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin with 6 episodes, 4 already out, 1hrs long each and with a rating of 8.40 the 155th highest rated anime, with less than 20k members. Gundam: Unicorn right below it with the rating of 8.37 and 7 over 1hrs long episodes, with a little over 40k members and less than 20k of them completed. A recent discovery of mine Re: Cutie Honey, with 3 episodes 45mins each, from the director of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill and a funky OST and less than 12k members.

Or movies. Mardock Scramble, one of the best cyber punk stories since 2010, with less than 45k members on the first movie. Steamboy, from the director of Akira with a little below 44k members. The Memories anthology, the first movie written by Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers), the third one directed buy and Otomo Katsuhiro (Akira, Steamboy) and barely over 42k members, half of them only plans to watch.
i'd argue that yamato and the gundams fit the "niche audience" part, at least in the west
and Memories deffo counts as "old"

but i agree there is a bias against movies and ovas :<
maybe it's harder to make memes out of them
Modified by romagia, May 20, 3:11 AM
 
May 20, 3:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 318
romagia said:
]i'd argue that yamato and the gundams fit the "niche audience" part, at least in the west
and Memories deffo counts as "old"

They didn't really get a chance. And still, Code Geass, a Gundam in disguise from the studio behind the Gundam franchise is one of the highest rated and most popular anime with nearly 800k members. And in the west, though live action, Star Wars and Star Trek are popular. Memories is indeed old.
 
May 20, 3:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 4914
romagia said:
if that's the same anime as Getter Robo: Armageddon, then you can find the full series subbed and dubbed on kiss
or even better, on 9anime which doesnt get mad at adblock

Yeah, it seems it's actually available on KissAnime, but there's no way in hell I'm turning off my ad blocker because that site is simply disgusting with ads on display.

I tried 9Anime, but its search function doesn't work in neither Firefox or Chrome, and once I actually got to an episode page, the video wouldn't load.

But this is what I mean. To get to watch older anime, you have to go through so many hoops, it's just not worth it. I could spend an hour hoping to find what I'm looking for with no guaranteed success, or use that time to watch 3 HD episodes of newer/popular anime I can actually torrent.
 
May 20, 3:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 7052
@Heldengeist Re:Cutie Honey has been directed by Hideaki Anno. Imaishi directed the first episode, not the whole show. But yeah, it's good. Found ep 2 boring and unimaginative compared to the rest, but ep 1 was indeed a nice blend of what Imaishi used to do it anime after that.
 
May 20, 3:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 13250
Milennin said:
romagia said:
if that's the same anime as Getter Robo: Armageddon, then you can find the full series subbed and dubbed on kiss
or even better, on 9anime which doesnt get mad at adblock

Yeah, it seems it's actually available on KissAnime, but there's no way in hell I'm turning off my ad blocker because that site is simply disgusting with ads on display.

I tried 9Anime, but its search function doesn't work in neither Firefox or Chrome, and once I actually got to an episode page, the video wouldn't load.

But this is what I mean. To get to watch older anime, you have to go through so many hoops, it's just not worth it. I could spend an hour hoping to find what I'm looking for with no guaranteed success, or use that time to watch 3 HD episodes of newer/popular anime I can actually torrent.
i never had any problems with 9anime but had a friend with similar complaints :[
ideally, 9anime should have worked from the first try.. it's not just a site for old anime
or you need to do some minor tinkering only once (browser update? add-on conflict?), after which it should always work until the site's demise

for Kiss i used a greasemonkey script called "Kissanime Cleaner" for a long time which removes ads and allowes Adblock
then they started using popup ads (np, i just got a popup blocker), but the last drop was blocking my country and requiring captcha for each episode :V after which i switched to 9.. i'll only go back if i have trouble finding another show

for the record, i also found that anime for download on animetosho's torrents (havent tested though)
https://animetosho.org/search?q=getter+robo+armageddon

and thehylia for DDL
https://anime.thehylia.com/downloads/series/getter-robo-armageddon

i dont think accessibility for old shows has been a problem since kiss has been the most popular "bootleg" streaming site; i could even find incomplete translation projects i couldnt find on nyaa and bakabt, like the 70s Dororon and Lensman TV series, and they are on 9anime too

bottom line, once you are familiar with a number of sites, the hoops have already been jumped through, and you don't need to do it again
 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »