Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 17, 2017 9:51 AM
May 2017
(this is discussing both Seasons 1 and 2, and covering the Aincrad, Alfheim, GGO, Calibur and Mother's Rosario arcs. Please no spoilers to Alicization and/or Ordinal Scale, as i haven't had the chance to read/watch them yet. Also spoilers for SAO i guess.)

i don't know why but i really liked sao

i started watching it because a friend of mine showed it to me

it's not like i started watching because i was a gamer or anything, just letting you know

I know what most of you are going to say

"alfheim was bad because incest and asuna becoming less of a main character"

i didn't like alfheim because of the second reason mostly, i didn't really mind the incestual thing between Kirito and Suguha mostly because it was one-sided i think? i don't really know, i was a noob to anime when i watched SAO (Not counting stuff like Pokemon, Digimon and yu-gi-oh! , that was the second 'real' anime that i watched, behind Naruto)

The ending was satisfying and kirito got the girl

cool

but then sao 2 happened.

I actually liked GGO. It brought something new and it gave kirito a freaking lightsaber for gods sakes. plus sinon was a cool character. The rape scene (?) thing with recon and sinon felt really weird tho. kinda unnatural in a way.

Excalibur was ok, it was a breath of fresh air, it felt kinda like those 'where are they now' messages at the end of documentary episodes.

Mother's Rosario was my favorite arc because of Yuuki mostly. She's probably on my top 5 list of favorite characters. I kinda wish Yuuki became part of the main plot, similar to characters like Klein and Sinon, but instead the killed her off. That's my biggest peeve with the series. I felt the same way when Sachi and the Moonlit Black Cats died.

idk

i think i literally just reviewed the sao series

please explain why Sao was bad, i'm kinda new to anime :P

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 17, 2017 9:54 AM

Sep 2014
Just go and watch more anime, go back to SAO, then you'll understand.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
May 17, 2017 9:57 AM

Jun 2016
Be less gay and hate SAO
May 17, 2017 9:58 AM

Dec 2015
Compare SAO to anything, that isn´t shit, then you have your answer.
May 17, 2017 9:59 AM

Apr 2017
Menzo- said:

^I can agree with that
SAO was one of the first anime I watched, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Looking back its not particularly good, I wouldn't call it that bad though. I think SAO gets a lot of hate just because its popular to hate it. Its not a good anime by a longshot, but its not the spawn of Satan either like some people make it out to be.

"That's my precious
image of happiness..."

- I have no clue... -
May 17, 2017 9:59 AM

Oct 2013
Elijah_Parr said:
i don't know why but i really liked sao
if you liked it you should be able to say why
Elijah_Parr said:
alfheim was bad because incest
its not true incest either since they are cousins so us purist find that annoying
Elijah_Parr said:
and asuna becoming less of a main character
think most people just had a problem with her becoming a sex object since she almost got raped twice and her parents were giving her up for marriage while in a coma meaning they don't think she has free will
May 17, 2017 10:09 AM

Aug 2015
>Join date May 2017
>Completely empty profile
The bait is strong in this one

Some people just got tired of seeing a self-insert-Mary-Sue whose sole purpose was to be the wish fulfillment of an MMO gamer who failed to git gud and could only dream of playing at the top. Yes I'm talking about the author.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
May 17, 2017 10:12 AM
Jul 2015
Bait... why aren't the moderators locking this kind of shitty threads?
May 17, 2017 1:05 PM
May 2017
Menzo- said:

okay, i'll give it a rewatch.

NoobAsian said:
>Join date May 2017
>Completely empty profile
The bait is strong in this one

Some people just got tired of seeing a self-insert-Mary-Sue whose sole purpose was to be the wish fulfillment of an MMO gamer who failed to git gud and could only dream of playing at the top. Yes I'm talking about the author.

I'm here to converse with people about anime/manga. Creating a profile isn't really of upmost importance. Also i see how this can be interpreted as bait, as this is a bit of a controversial topic (i think). I just wanna hear other people's opinions, really.
May 17, 2017 1:55 PM

Jun 2015
That's a lot of text for a meme anime like SAO.
May 17, 2017 1:55 PM
Apr 2015
SAO was bad since all the characters were over-hyped pieces of garbage and the main character started out as a bad ass from square "ONE". I mean come on, cant we get at least one story where the character isn't a god among men and actually make him learn form his mistakes as we the viewer journey alongside him. Im talking series like FLCL where we were growing up with our hero learning right from wrong and owning up to our mistakes. we need a hero like that, the only way the could have won me over was if they started the series from Kiritos early days of gaming. sheesh...
May 20, 2017 3:27 PM

Jan 2016
I don't know, SAO was average in my opinion, but maybe i'm just lax on it because it was my first anime. I only really disliked the female characters (even "Jesus-kun" himself didn't really bother me) because it felt like a collection of chicks that are practically useless when Kirito is around. Asuna is the exception, Mothers Rosario proved this. Alfheim was pretty disappointing, especially since the whole idea of SAO taking place in, you know, SAO, was completely thrown out the window for this practically useless second world. The only thing I hated about season 2 was the Excalibur arc, mostly because all the the characters I hated from before were back. The also turned Sinon into another one of Kirito's side chicks, but I called that one from a mile away. It's really up to you, form your own opinions
May 20, 2017 3:27 PM

Jul 2014
lol who's alt are you again? do we really need this thread again? fanbase so salty that their show is shit.
May 28, 2017 12:45 PM

Oct 2010
SAO is just a generic power fantasy shounen that taps into the MMO player fanbase +and to add to that its the harem type whit dozens of mindless females.

but the real problem is that it does nothing right, relationships, characters, story, setting (doesn't appeal to others outside of the MMO players), fight choreography, the voice actors (at least the japanese ones), the music, the opening

the only competent thing about the show was the animation, and the way it tapped into the MMO player base, before SAO it wasn't this obvious that they were this starved for a powerfantasy/harem.
May 28, 2017 6:02 PM

Oct 2010
I don't think this thread is intended as bait. The frequency of new users registering who are SAO fans, and have this reaction to the reviews etc., must be very high.

And SAO negativity looks worse from within the otaku subculture bubble. I have a white American friend in his late 20's who has attended a university in Japan for multiple semesters, and his Facebook cover photo is Kirito and Asuna. I don't think he's aware it could be seen as something to be ashamed of, except in the general "anime is for losers" sense.

These are anecdotes of a tiny sample size, but I found the contrast interesting: Geoff Thew / Mother's Basement reported at the Ordinal Scale theater screening he attended in Vancouver, "half" of the crowd seemed to be laughing at serious moments. Digibro reported that in Virginia, he and his friends were the only ones doing that. Are Vancouverites more "in the know?"

Today I rediscovered this quote about the original Star Wars trilogy, and it seemed fitting for my recent/current enjoyment of SAO II, which I've been watching for the first time:

"We may cringe at the cliches, feel embarrassment at the way, despite ourselves, we thrill to the heroics or become wet-eyed at the sentimentality, but we will be in the minority. Lucas, like Sam Goldwyn 'one of the lucky ones whose great hearts, shallow and commonplace as bedpans, beat in instinctive tune with the great heart of the public, who laugh as it likes to laugh, weep the sweet and easy tears that it likes to weep,' speaks not to the jaded, fastidious, or analytical, but to those to whom hearing an old story well retold remains the greatest and most enduring of pleasures." -John Baxter, "Mythmaker: The Life and Work of George Lucas," as quoted here: http://www.adherents.com/people/pl/George_Lucas.html

It may be a stretch to describe SAO as "well-told," but it's functional.

A thought I've had this month, while watching SAO II, is that the enjoyment I get out of SAO feels very similar to Tenchi Muyo, the first anime I watched on Toonami, in 2000. Both shows' protagonists are self-insert lame teenage "Mary Sue" boys who become obscenely OP and come to be desired by many women. I'd say that Tenchi Muyo's world is far better, and it's much easier to take seriously. I generally find its harem's members annoying, while SAO's are pleasant. And Tenchi Muyo falls short of SAO in that none of Tenchi's four plus different universes have ever given me a romance conclusion that really satisfied me.

When I watched SAO in 2015, after a four-year period in which I watched no anime at all, I found it extremely refreshing because of Kirito and Asuna's relationship. Youtuber @Digibro is known as the most prominent critic of SAO in English-speaking otaku culture, and says the show is the worst anime he's ever finished. But he praised it for that reason:

"Kirito and Asuna's relationship, what makes it work so well - at least in my opinion, why I think it's the best part of the show - is that it is just a functional relationship with no extra complications, no anime bullshit. I watch a lot of rom-coms and stuff, where the idea is that two characters are in love, but the plot of the show is that they can never hook up. And every once in a while, you get a strong, great romance, like Kare Kano, where it's really about exploring the dynamic of two people together, and Sword Art Online is not that. I'm not saying it's a great romance story. But it is just a fucking romance: just two characters falling in love, having time together, wanting to spend time together, fighting for their ability to spend time together - you know, being a legitimate fucking couple who have intimacy and care about each other - which is something that you don't get a lot of in anime! Or in fiction in general."
https://youtu.be/SkFeAc-xaPM?t=8m15s

Coming back to SAO now, two years and several list-weeks of anime later, that rings incredibly true.

Crimson_V said:
setting (doesn't appeal to others outside of the MMO players)

I've never played an MMO. But I like The Matrix. In the 90's I watched Star Trek characters get trapped in a suddenly deadly holodeck. Doctor Who had an episode in 1976 in which the Doctor enters the computer world of "the Matrix" on Gallifrey, and is attacked by digital enemies controlled by the Master. It's just a thing that happens on TV.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Deadly_Assassin_(TV_story)
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Matrix

nDroaeMay 28, 2017 6:06 PM
May 29, 2017 11:05 AM

Nov 2009
Elijah_Parr said:
please explain why Sao was bad, i'm kinda new to anime :P

SAO isn't bad. It's actually one of the better anime out there. It gets even better if you read the novels.
I did not watch SAO as a newbie. I was experienced with the medium at the time SAO came out. And SAO stood out among the rest.
Why?
* Because it is a sci-fi anime about things that are relevant to modern people - computer games! And it is written by a person who has actually played modern games himself, not by a dumb parent out to demonize games.
All those people who complain about lack of cyberpunk anime - they do not understand that cyberpunk is dead. Cyberpunk future is on our doorstep, and it's nothing like the predictions.

* Because it is an action anime that isn't a dumb battle shounen that wastes screentime on endless training montages and repetitive battles.
Anime doesn't have to justify everything - it can go straight to the good parts with a minimum of explanation. The audience (or at least me) are not fools. We can figure out ourselves the MCs trained a lot and fought many battles to get to this point. Hell, we can even watch something as disjointed as Bikini Warriors, because we have seen it all before. We can even watch Maoyuu, which starts with the Hero facing the Demon Lord.

* Because, like @nDroae has said, it is an actual good romance. Something anime sorely lacks.

* Because the hero is the right kind of person. A computer nerd/geek/otaku. Not another one of those dumb fucks I disliked as I grew up. Representation!
Anybody who criticizes this kind of protagonist is surely part of the problem and not my kind of person.

* Because the characters are well-written and believable in general.

Elijah_Parr said:
I actually liked GGO. It brought something new and it gave kirito a freaking lightsaber for gods sakes. plus sinon was a cool character. The rape scene (?) thing with recon and sinon felt really weird tho. kinda unnatural in a way.

Kyouji Shinkawa is not Recon (Shinichi Nagata). In fact, Recon was never mentioned after his "suicide" in Fairy Dance arc. Presumably, he distanced himself from Suguha because she left him for Kirito.
Edit: wiki says Recon was seen in Mother's Rosario arc.
flannanMay 29, 2017 11:14 AM
May 30, 2017 3:39 AM
May 2017
flannan said:

SAO isn't bad. It's actually one of the better anime out there.
It gets even better if you read the novels
Because the characters are well-written and believeable.

Those three statements...lol!
Especially that last one! XD
May 30, 2017 8:04 AM
Jul 2015
When the main heroine, who was portrayed as a strong character throughout the series, gets boderline raped in multiple episodes in the name of fanservice, you know the show is messed up.
May 30, 2017 8:49 AM

Jan 2017
Menzo- said:
watched 150 anime and still sao is one of the best
May 30, 2017 8:50 AM

Jan 2017
Reiisawh_re said:
Be less gay and hate SAO
what does it have to do with being gay explain unless u are trolling
May 30, 2017 8:51 AM

Sep 2014
kikyo1hinamora said:
Menzo- said:
Well if that's the case then it just means you have shit taste.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
May 30, 2017 8:53 AM

Jan 2017
AnimeXHunter said:
Subspace12 said:
SAO was bad since all the characters were over-hyped pieces of garbage and the main character started out as a bad ass from square "ONE". I mean come on, cant we get at least one story where the character isn't a god among men and actually make him learn form his mistakes as we the viewer journey alongside him. Im talking series like FLCL where we were growing up with our hero learning right from wrong and owning up to our mistakes. we need a hero like that, the only way the could have won me over was if they started the series from Kiritos early days of gaming. sheesh...
this wasn't scare one nothing was told about what he did before that game
and i don't think it was mentioned he was born as a hero
May 30, 2017 8:54 AM

Jan 2017
Menzo- said:
kikyo1hinamora said:
or u are the one with shit taste and it is probably you
May 30, 2017 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
psycho said:
it was ok-ish but the romance ruined it for me

What romance? Didn't see any romance there. :'D
I saw two uninteresting characters (self-inserts, not allowed to call them characters eeh) without an actual real connection saying some standard lines and doing some standard things.
May 30, 2017 8:56 AM

Sep 2014
kikyo1hinamora said:
Menzo- said:
or u are the one with shit taste and it is probably you
Everyone has shit taste, including me.
May 30, 2017 8:57 AM

Dec 2015
kikyo1hinamora said:
AnimeXHunter said:
Subspace12 said:

His point is that Kirito is a godlike hero from the start of the show and is supposed to be seen like that by the viewer. Whether he was or not before is of no relevance. Also, you have some of the most pisspoor speeling and grammar I´ve ever seen. Why did you even quote me?
May 30, 2017 9:03 AM

Jan 2017
AnimeXHunter said:
kikyo1hinamora said:

His point is that Kirito is a godlike hero from the start of the show and is supposed to be seen like that by the viewer. Whether he was or not before is of no relevance. Also, you have some of the most pisspoor speeling and grammar I´ve ever seen. Why did you even quote me?

sorry was a mistake
" Whether he was or not before is of no relevance" this is is wrong just doing a prequel to the first season showing how he became so strong(even if it is not mentioned in the LN ) would explain why the mc is overpowered which is one of the most popular arguments that people use to prove that sao is shit
May 30, 2017 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
psycho said:
Maneki-Mew said:

What romance? Didn't see any romance there. :'D
I saw two uninteresting characters (self-inserts, not allowed to call them characters eeh) without an actual real connection saying some standard lines and doing some standard things.

ye that's what annoyed me tbh the whole 'romance' tag in general
like 1 min she was all tsundere & hated him then there was some massive time lap and they're suddenly married

And adopt a "child" they found in the wood. That's totally kitschy. (I'm surprised that this word exists in the english language, I even looked it up ôo)
I think the tsundere-attitude was supposed to be cute, dunno man.
May 30, 2017 9:08 AM

Dec 2015
kikyo1hinamora said:
AnimeXHunter said:

sorry was a mistake
" Whether he was or not before is of no relevance" this is is wrong just doing a prequel to the first season showing how he became so strong(even if it is not mentioned in the LN ) would explain why the mc is overpowered which is one of the most popular arguments that people use to prove that sao is shit

1. There is no prequel. "There could be a prequel" is no point, because there is no prequel.
2. This still doesn´t change the fact, that he gets massive plot armor to make him almost godlike in the animes universe. Even if he had a backstory, the anime itself is fundamentally flawed.
3. Neither would it change that Kirito is a boring character only there so guys can feel like they´re the cool dude, who is always the best at everything.

Prequel hasn´t happened, won´t happened, probably will suck and doesn´t excuse anything. The anime is still fucked, with or without it.
May 30, 2017 9:13 AM

Jun 2016
Cause Asuna ruined the show when she "married" Kirito
May 30, 2017 9:33 AM
Jan 2016
People I thought we were over this. Watch Digibro and Mother's Basements videos on the subject. They're practically required reading.
May 30, 2017 4:45 PM

Jul 2014
Good God, the romance was horribly executed, cookie cutter characters and the story was written as if they threw darts on the wall and said "aha! that's the next plot!"

SAO quality? puh-lease.
Jun 4, 2017 11:41 AM

Feb 2016
It's not a bad anime, still better than a lot of crap came out every season.
I think the hate of SAO more like because of the annoying fanbase, and LN readers who are disappointed of the anime adaptation.
Jun 5, 2017 7:46 PM

Apr 2015
Because you're seen as a big boy after hating it. In 2012, people hating SAO had good reasons to do so since they were in the minority at the time. Nowadays, hating SAO is cool, so everyone just uses the same reasons and choice of words to hate it. Not ignoring the actual people with good reasons to dislike it.

I watched SAO around mid of my anime career. Still a very enjoyable show. While I recognize the bad in it, I can't ignore the good elements about it. Anything can be viewed badly if you're overly-critical.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2017 7:50 PM

Feb 2015
Jun 5, 2017 11:25 PM
Feb 2017
Because it's not. There's just a bunch of losers who are desperate to fit in on the internet because their real lives suck so they follow whatever bandwagon they find because it makes them feel like part of a group. Also trolls and negativity are always louder then anything positive. This is true in all things, not just anime. SAO, due to its premise and the timing of its release, became extremely popular extremely fast. With that many people watching it attracted more and more attention. And when you have that many people viewing something, there's going to be a portion that will undoubtedly have s negative attitude toward it. But again that's literally how everything is. Look at sports, music, video games and live action tv shows/movies.

SAO has plenty of flaws. But 90% of the ones the hate bandwagoners come up with are either easily explained, clearly misunderstood, or just flat out the result of that bandwagoner being retarded. I mean ffs someone actually said go watch digifag and mothers basment 😂😂😂. Talk about pathetic.
Jun 5, 2017 11:27 PM
Feb 2017
AnimeXHunter said:
kikyo1hinamora said:

Yes because it's "godlike" to helplessly watch all your friends die in front of you and not being able to do a damn thing about it. That sure is "godlike". Lmfao. I swear I never thought I'd meet a group of people more pathetic then 9/11 truthers until I meet you hate bandwagon queers. At least their stupidity is based on reality.
Jun 5, 2017 11:48 PM

Dec 2015
LordSovereign117 said:
AnimeXHunter said:

Yes because it's "godlike" to helplessly watch all your friends die in front of you and not being able to do a damn thing about it. That sure is "godlike". Lmfao. I swear I never thought I'd meet a group of people more pathetic then 9/11 truthers until I meet you hate bandwagon queers. At least their stupidity is based on reality.

Obama did 9/11, the moon landing is fake, the world government is run by jews.
Jun 5, 2017 11:56 PM
Jul 2018
The series isn't even THAT abysmal in the first place. Sure, you have the right to dislike the series and that's completely saying, but saying that it is the worst anime in existence at least from taking the bias off? I think that's going a bit too much. I think there are worse animes out there that does things worse than this series does. No joke honestly.

Don't get me wrong SAO has its fair share of issues but I think its far from something that's atrocious as some people claim it to be. But that's my personal thought here.
Jun 5, 2017 11:57 PM

Jun 2015
Ugh, this is the last time I'm replying to a Sao thread.

SAO BEST ANIME 2012. GG M8, EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES HAS SHIT TASTE AND IS GAY!

REM = SHIT, RE:ZERO IS BAD. FMAB IS AVERAGE. KIRITO -> BOKU NO PICO -> EDWARD

On a serious note: if you really want to know why I love Sao the way I love Sao just pm me
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jun 5, 2017 11:57 PM
Mar 2011
the key element ie the game is just not that good
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 5, 2017 11:58 PM
Jul 2018
Takamura-sama said:
Ugh, this is the last time I'm replying to a Sao thread.

SAO BEST ANIME 2012. GG M8, EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES HAS SHIT TASTE AND IS GAY!

REM = SHIT, RE:ZERO IS BAD. FMAB IS AVERAGE. KIRITO -> BOKU NO PICO -> EDWARD

Wow mate that's bold as shit Lmao. Not even judging but just saying.
Jun 6, 2017 6:27 AM

Feb 2016
i agree that many people hate on SAO because it is popular to hate on it,
but personally i really do believe it is a bad show.
i was into anime ever since i was a little kid, but i only started actively watching anime and seeking new good things to watch around the time SAO came out.
i remember hearing from my older sister, who knew i liked MMO games, that there is a show she didnt watch but thought i would enjoy.
after that, i started watching the show, and at first i actually liked it- it was cool, it seemed like it was going to be different, and it satisfied my cravings for an MMORPG anime.
but basically after the 2nd or 3rd episode it got really bad, and i had a very hard time watching the rest of it because of that. when i got to the end of the first half of season 1, i thought to myself: "hey, this was bad, and the ending was very anti climatic, boring and annoyingly bullshit-ish, but at least the epilogue was satisfying"
but then they completely destroyed everything good that was left to destroy on the start of the second half. i couldnt bring myself to watch any more of it. seriously, i ragequit from the video and closed my internet browser.

and to the light novel fanbase of the show, ive always wondered how can the light novels be "so much better" when the whole base of the show is this terrible.

now, before you say anything, yes- i did come here only to say how much i dont like this show, and how much you are wrong for saying it is good (you can like it though). however, i advise you not to focus on this fact but instead on my opinion and arguments regarding SAO.
Jun 6, 2017 6:46 AM

Nov 2014
Groznij said:
Menzo- said:

^I can agree with that
SAO was one of the first anime I watched, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Looking back its not particularly good, I wouldn't call it that bad though. I think SAO gets a lot of hate just because its popular to hate it. Its not a good anime by a longshot, but its not the spawn of Satan either like some people make it out to be.

Agree. SAO was my first anime and then I rewatched it when I had 500+ completed and I still gave it 7/10.

OT:
Popular hate aside, main problem with SAO, imho, is how bad it is from technical side of storytelling. Just look at first 14 episodes (Aincrad arc): it jumps all over the place with badly placed time skips. Romance feels unnatural. Kirito is very bland and has pretty much no character.
Then after story seems to end we get "Thank You Mario, But Our Princess is in Another Castle". While it's not adaptation's fault, it just adds to negatives when one looks at anime. ALO antagonist was also incredibly bad. Just random psycho made to be disliked.
Personally I liked GGO more than first 2 arcs from more technical side. Aincrad felt more interesting and fun, but GGO was just better arc/adaptation imo.
Then 2nd half of 2nd season... idk, it felt like some side story.

Still, SAO isn't bad anime. Most people who hate it just jump on bandwagon thinking it makes them cool. That or they never saw actually bad anime.
Jun 6, 2017 6:57 AM

Feb 2016
the only shows that i would consider worse than SAO are Toaru Majutsu no Index, Cheating Craft, and of course, my least liked anime (or anything) of all time: Mahou Sensou.

being better than Mahou Sensou is the only redeeming factor of SAO.
Jun 6, 2017 11:31 AM
Feb 2017
AnimeXHunter said:
LordSovereign117 said:

Jews? I think you meant skin changing reptilian space overloads. But nice deflection all the same.
Jun 6, 2017 11:34 AM
Feb 2017
Yuvalis said:
i agree that many people hate on SAO because it is popular to hate on it,
but personally i really do believe it is a bad show.
i was into anime ever since i was a little kid, but i only started actively watching anime and seeking new good things to watch around the time SAO came out.
i remember hearing from my older sister, who knew i liked MMO games, that there is a show she didnt watch but thought i would enjoy.
after that, i started watching the show, and at first i actually liked it- it was cool, it seemed like it was going to be different, and it satisfied my cravings for an MMORPG anime.
but basically after the 2nd or 3rd episode it got really bad, and i had a very hard time watching the rest of it because of that. when i got to the end of the first half of season 1, i thought to myself: "hey, this was bad, and the ending was very anti climatic, boring and annoyingly bullshit-ish, but at least the epilogue was satisfying"
but then they completely destroyed everything good that was left to destroy on the start of the second half. i couldnt bring myself to watch any more of it. seriously, i ragequit from the video and closed my internet browser.

and to the light novel fanbase of the show, ive always wondered how can the light novels be "so much better" when the whole base of the show is this terrible.

now, before you say anything, yes- i did come here only to say how much i dont like this show, and how much you are wrong for saying it is good (you can like it though). however, i advise you not to focus on this fact but instead on my opinion and arguments regarding SAO.

But... you didn't actually put forth any argument...
Jun 6, 2017 11:34 AM

Dec 2015
LordSovereign117 said:
AnimeXHunter said:

Jews? I think you meant skin changing reptilian space overloads. But nice deflection all the same.

>implying shouting "hater" and "troll" everytime someone disagrees with your opinion isn´t deflection.
Typical behavior of a space jew.
Jun 6, 2017 11:41 AM
Feb 2017
Terkhev said:
Groznij said:

^I can agree with that

Agree. SAO was my first anime and then I rewatched it when I had 500+ completed and I still gave it 7/10.

OT:
Popular hate aside, main problem with SAO, imho, is how bad it is from technical side of storytelling. Just look at first 14 episodes (Aincrad arc): it jumps all over the place with badly placed time skips. Romance feels unnatural. Kirito is very bland and has pretty much no character.
Then after story seems to end we get "Thank You Mario, But Our Princess is in Another Castle". While it's not adaptation's fault, it just adds to negatives when one looks at anime. ALO antagonist was also incredibly bad. Just random psycho made to be disliked.
Personally I liked GGO more than first 2 arcs from more technical side. Aincrad felt more interesting and fun, but GGO was just better arc/adaptation imo.
Then 2nd half of 2nd season... idk, it felt like some side story.

Still, SAO isn't bad anime. Most people who hate it just jump on bandwagon thinking it makes them cool. That or they never saw actually bad anime.

Time skips are due to the source material. There's nothing the anime can do about that. The very first writing of SAO actually started on floor 75. The first 7 episodes weren't written in until AFTER it was decided to adapt it into an anime.

Fairy dance arcs villain is absolute shit. That said. The story of that arc is not about the villain. It's about the journey to get there. The battle with the guardians was the real main fight. Not with the dude who's name I forget. And even saving Asuna was more of a side plot. The actual plot of the arc is Kirito and Sugu. And no not as in incest.

The last 2 arcs of season 2 literally are side stories.
Jun 6, 2017 11:42 AM
Feb 2017
AnimeXHunter said:
LordSovereign117 said:

>implying shouting "hater" and "troll" everytime someone disagrees with your opinion isn´t deflection.
Typical behavior of a space jew.

Look up definition of deflection. You literally just did it for a second time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Yesterday, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.