Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 17, 2017 3:21 AM
Aug 2009
I can remember picking up the DVD way back in 2005 or 6 and my almost 14 year old mind feeling quite sly. Haha, I thought, no one suspect's these simple cartoons to be anything but wholesome like spongebob or just "strange" as my grandfather said about Dragon ball Z. After watching this new anime it quickly became clear that this was a style of anime I had not experienced before, mostly shone and whatever was on Toonami, and I had for many years a severance for this show because it did shock me and make me cry, laugh and think. However I never really rewatched it despite my liking for it. Things like new anime and the desire to watch something different in tone were mainly why I just kind of let it sit there while still being the idiot who thinks he's cool because he watched and liked the "controversial" Elfin Lied.

Times have changed, I'm going on 26 and still can't write well to save my life. Well for some reason I decided to watch Elfen Lied last night and ended up writing this at 5:54am after marathoning it. I'm not super surprised that my incredible reverence towards Elfin Lied as a unique gem has changed because of my different perspective and I still think it's a show anime lovers should watch just for the merit badge. I'll get to the point. After rewatching and during as well, I found it incredibly difficult to not get annoyed. Gore will never unsettle me anymore and thus the show lacked the impact it used to on me. My like that Elfen Lied was thought provoking through it use of nudity and violence now felt like they were incredibly forced. Cute Nyu became an annoying "for f**ks sake when will this scene end and that name/sound is deeply challenging my patience" character... Khouta was neutral before but now he comes across as not sympathetic or likable considering his stupidity. I never liked Yuka and now she joins the elite few fictional characters I wish I could actually murder. (Over the top but yes it was that bad) I could go on but the sun is rising and I have work today thus I'm regretting watching this all night. It's not like I hate it now, far from it, I found myself loving the Lucy moments and wish the show was really about her. Will someday finish the manga I left due to lack of translations because I hear it different and possibly better.

So, to sum this up, has anyone else had a change of heart about Elfin Lied or any other anime due to changing perspectives or just because you were not aware of things that now bother you back when you first watched it? Forgive my lack of grammar. I'm tired and typing on a phone while dead tired makes for strange writing.

Edit: I did quickly Google the end of the manga and the difference between the two. Without spoilers and without real knowledge of the latter half of the manga I will say I liked the animes ending better. If you know the endings and my new opinions on the characters it should be obvious. Good night
ahumanMay 17, 2017 3:37 AM
Aug 20, 2017 11:55 PM
Jan 2016
Honestly the moment Lucy washed up on the beach and only said "Nyu!" after a ten minute murder party (or however it goes, been a while) the show annoyed me immensely. That enough made me drop the show, and I've never regretted it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sandgolem - Aug 26, 2007

139 by ssangy »»
Apr 3, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Chelle - Aug 21, 2007

199 by vikivill »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Dec 4, 2007

429 by DigitalCoin »»
Mar 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

111 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.