Forum Settings
Forums

How open are you about your interest in anime?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Poll: How open are you about your interest in anime?

May 16, 4:14 PM

The ratings are as follows.

9-10: Your first question upon meeting someone is usually about whether or not they like anime/manga. You often make references regardless of who you're with, and you'll happily wear anything advertising your love of the medium.

7-8: Almost everyone you know is aware of your love of anime/manga. You will initiate anime conversations or make references with most people, even if they don't have an interest in anime. You will occasionally wear anime-related clothing.

5-6: You only initiate anime conversations with people you know to be anime fans. Though you won't deny your anime obsession to anyone who asks, you also don't advertise it by wearing cosplay or anime-related clothing.

3-4: Only your closest friends/family members know of your love of anime, and you are embarrassed whenever someone brings it up. You never initiate anime conversations and are reluctant to join in to them even among friends.

1-2: You consider the fact that you watch anime to be one of your deepest secrets, which no one must ever know of. You pretend you either know nothing of anime, or you scoff at it when in the presence of friends.

May 16, 4:17 PM

cattieanime said:

5-6: You only initiate anime conversations with people you know to be anime fans. Though you won't deny your anime obsession to anyone who asks, you also don't advertise it by wearing cosplay or anime-related clothing.

This is me but I do own anime T-shirts but I only wear them when I'm just chilling at home or working out.

May 16, 4:18 PM
People who are part of 1-2, 3-4, 9-10 are definitely to be avoided at all costs.

May 16, 4:19 PM

I would say 5-6 sounds about right. Also almost everyone who knows me, knows that I'm into anime.

May 16, 4:25 PM

I fit almost everything of 5-6, although I do have shirts of Darkrai from Pokemon and Dead Master from Black Rock Shooter. However I don't wear them very frequently, and I normally wear a hoodie over my shirts anyways so nobody sees lol.

May 16, 4:28 PM

7-8 if convention shirts count
i dont know many people and obv they all know it
and i do obscure references of all sorts but anime is still my main shtick ;d
boku wa anime ga daisuki

May 16, 4:31 PM

On_the_Lam said:
People who are part of 1-2, 3-4, 9-10 are definitely to be avoided at all costs.

Meh, 3-4 is a phase lots of anime fans go through, especially in school as it is still mostly regarded as off-putting to like anime.
I was gonna defend 9-10 too, but then I imagined someone using Jojo's references in everyday mundane discussions...

May 16, 4:32 PM
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴

a mix of 5-6 and 7-8 i guess .-.

''You only initiate anime conversations with people you know to be anime fans. Though you won't deny your anime obsession to anyone who asks. You will occasionally wear anime-related clothing.''
EVERYDAY, WE STRAY FURTHER FROM KAMISAMA'S LIGHT

May 16, 4:34 PM

Probably 5-6 although I bring up anime sometimes to non-fans, like if I'm super hyped I'll say there's this anime movie I want to see and can't get it out of my head. Or if they talk about Western cinema I politely let them know I have no idea what they're talking about because I almost exclusively watch anime. I don't make any references though, and only get weebish if someone says grace, whereas I slap my hands together and say "itadakimasu" instead. I also have some anime shirts and aren't ashamed of them.

May 16, 4:34 PM
SoL Elitist

I find this scale to be bullshit, it should be renamed to "how much of a annoying twat who never shuts up about anime/manga you are?"

May 16, 4:38 PM

5-6
I have no reason to hide it, but I don't feel the need to advertise it either.
Nor do I see the point of talking about anime with people who aren't interested in it.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

May 16, 4:40 PM

The 5-6 option describes me best. I only have small anime related stuff that don't stand out and look like regular accessory/jewelery to people who are not familar with anime, like keychains, necklaces, bookmarks, pens. You will only find out that I'm an A&M fan if you either ask me, recognize one of my accessories or come into my room and see my manga collection on a shelf right next to door.

May 16, 4:47 PM

Dammit, I went and voted before actually reading the legend for the ratings.
Oops.
Anyway, I'm 7-8.
I don't see a point in hiding who I am, but I also don't just throw it out there without provocation. If someone asked me at work today what I watch on TV, I'd answer: "well, I like Game of Thrones, National Geographic, HGTV and anime"

May 16, 4:47 PM

I don't understand why you didn't just make a 5 scale rating or make 10 separate poll options for each.

May 16, 4:56 PM
Mine is a 5-6 because it depends on who I talk to.
The last few times I openly talked about anime, nobody knew anything about anime--aside from famous ones, or they dislike anime altogether which made the conversation extremely awkward.

May 16, 5:05 PM

When it comes to friends, an interest in anime is a must. There's nothing else I'd care to talk about. I wish I had special eyes that let me separate anime fans from the rest of a crowd.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!

May 16, 5:08 PM

dammit I voted without reading that shit........

its 5~6 but voted 10.

May 16, 5:08 PM

dammit I voted without reading that shit........

its 5~6 but voted 10.

May 16, 5:12 PM

People who visit my page can see what kind of shows I like.

May 16, 5:12 PM

Paul said:
I don't understand why you didn't just make a 5 scale rating or make 10 separate poll options for each.

I was originally planning to have separate 1-10 options, but the change between each would be so gradual that I scrapped that idea, but never changed to a 1-5.

May 16, 5:19 PM

Well, most people have that "cartoons are dumb" mindset, so I almost never bring it up.

May 16, 5:23 PM

It's just that no one have asked me in real life, thus I assume they don't so I don't interfere with it... :/

May 16, 5:25 PM

5-6 for me my friends know that I am into anime.

May 16, 5:33 PM

6, maybe 7.

I'm not ashamed to admit I like anime by any means and would talk to people who I know are. It's nothing really for me to be embarrassed about, especially since most people I know, especially back in high school, watch anime. Hell, I remember more people watching anime and reading manga in my school than comic books or really anything superhero related. I don't even hide what genres I like.

With that said, I'm not gonna blab about it at any opportunity. I know not everyone likes or knows anime, nor am I even that obsessive with it. I don't think it's superior to all other mediums or anything fucking stupid like that (and I mean fucking stupid.)

May 16, 5:33 PM

A mix of 3-4 and 5-6 I suppose. Only a few of my irl friends know that I like anime in some way (some like it and some don't watch any), but I don't talk about it with them very often. I wouldn't tell someone I don't know well that I like anime unless I know that they like anime also.

May 16, 5:34 PM

7-8 definitely
Everyone that knows me, know I love anime and I wear anime-related clothing sometimes. It doesn't matter if they're friends, family, college colleagues or even randoms I don't know in class because the first thing I always mention about myself in any kind of presentation is that I love anime and gaming.

However, I do not talk about anime with people who don't care about it (most of the time) or make references to people I know are not familiar with the medium, because, what's the point?

Made in Abyss is the best anime of the season and the only really worthwhile so far as well. Still an interesting season with a couple of good anime.

Hyped for the new Kino no Tabi and LotGH anime!

May 16, 5:36 PM

I'll say pretty much the best fit for me is 5-6.

May 16, 5:45 PM

Seems like every year I get more and more open about it--about myself in general with people as well.

9-10 would never be me for anything at all doesn't matter if it's anime or what. The kind of people that are all about one thing and flaunt that to compensate for their entire personality are annoying.

7 or 8 sounds the closest--but I don't really have many opportunities to discuss anime these days even online it seems. I've been meaning to purchase some weeb clothes because fuckit why not but everywhere I look they want too much money or the designs are just tacky or all wrong.

*opens online t-shirt shop*

I'l show those punks

May 16, 5:46 PM

I ticked 9-10 since I want to skew the poll, but really I'm a 7-8. I openly talk about anime, but not in a fanatical way. I let anyone I meet know right away so that no surprises later.

May 16, 5:51 PM
9-10 for me. I don't really know why people are so scared to tell people their interests unless they have tons of body pillows and are obsessed beyond repair. Everyone I have somewhat regular interaction with knows that I love anime. I'll happily wear shirts and stuff in public and initiate conversations about anime if it is relevant, and I've found some friends with this approach too. I talk about many other things as well of course, but I feel people who know me and interact with me have the right to know my interests. Mainstream or not, anime is not more weird or embarrassing than western cartoons or live action and if people are open about that I can be open about anime.

Why do people care about the uninformed opinions of others? People who think anime is weird are just uninformed about it, and if someone is so close-minded they find it weird repulsive that I enjoy this medium than they aren't worth talking to in the first place (thankfully these people seem to be few and far between and often hang out in the same place which I can just avoid). If someone doesn't know about it, I'll explain it to them and talk about why I like it so much. If someone is uninformed but open I can explain it to them. If they don't like that I like it, fuck them, they aren't worth my time. I've made many people understand why I love K-On despite it looking like it's for little girls (even with the whole seinen thing), and have explained to many that most anime is not hentai. Those that don't get it are fine so long as they don't make me feel bad for liking it and they are easy to avoid.
Modified by GamerUnglued, May 16, 5:55 PM

May 16, 5:54 PM
I'll be in 3-4. Only Family and close friends knows. I can talk about anime with my Best Friend. But I'm still uncomfortable in SOME of my close friends

May 16, 5:56 PM
道路の側面で鉄の花

cattieanime said:

Hmmm, yup. that's basically me. :))

May 16, 5:56 PM

5-6; most of my friends know that I am into anime... but I don't have any anime merchendise

May 16, 6:08 PM

Somewhere between 5-6 and 7-8 probably. I wear some anime shirts occasionally, though they are designed in a way that casual observers might not even notice that they're anime related.

May 16, 6:24 PM

I'd say I'm somewhere between 4 and 5. I'm not embarrassed when people bring it up because they don't. On the odd occasion that I do hear somebody talking about anime, I don't join in the conversation because I probably don't know them. I sit there and smile. My closest friends don't even know that I like anime but others do. It's a weird one haha. I just don't feel the need to bring up something so pointless to somebody that doesn't know the first thing about the medium. I don't wear anime related clothing either because I hate having designs on my clothes. I prefer wearing plain stuff, I'm boring like that.
俺は死なないぜ相棒

May 16, 6:27 PM

12/10 I practice jutsu's, have a harem and get chronic nose bleeds.

5/6 for me. Dragonball Z is pop culture nowadays so non anime watchers wear Goku shirts like the train insayin etc etc, but the amount of people who think Hentai is anime is crazy.

May 16, 6:39 PM

I tell everyone I talk to that I love the anime.

I don't talk to anyone.

May 16, 6:45 PM

I'm a 5-6. My friend was the one who got me into anime and watching it while we were bored opened a can of worms for me. I'm very happy to talk about anime and husbandos with them and maybe to some people who I meet that I think would be ok with it.

May 16, 11:53 PM

I think I have to go with 7-8 because I do wear anime related clothing. I will never be a 9-10 because I don't go out of my way to talk to people about anything.

May 17, 12:02 AM

I'm anywhere from a 5 to an 8. I don't deny it ever and most know I like anime. I own a couple t shirts, but only wear them when I feel like it, but i've never had any problems when wearing them.
Though at the same time it depends on who i'm talking to cause it's a lot easier to talk about anime with other anime fans. If anyone asked or brought it up then i'll be more than happy to talk about it and if they don't ever then I won't, but I might still bring it up a little at times yet even if they don't, but not as much as I would when i'm around other anime fans.
So yeah it just depends on who i'm around, but I have never denied it or hid it from anyone as i'm open about it and most do know i'm an anime fan and there fine with it since I don't get into anyone's face about it or go overboard or anything.
“With sandwiches, the cucumber inside is a lot better than the bread. The two slices pressing down let the cucumber develop flavor." - Darjeeling

May 17, 1:46 AM

I don't know if I should vote for 3/4 or not because the only person I'm around very often knows and I'm not around anybody else very often at all to be open about it to, and I'm always embarrassed/nervous to try to initiate a conversation regardless of what it is

such is life, it's hard to answer this question when I have no social life

May 17, 1:50 AM

I'm really open about it with my friends and will comment on some manga or anime I've watched recently, I treat it as any other hobby of mine the same way I talk about comics, music, film and literature. There's no shame in it unless you know you are watching some really bad shit.

May 17, 2:07 AM
5-6 for me, thats why im here on MAL a lot

May 17, 2:22 AM
The Beginning

5-6?
I voted for the wrong one because I jumped the gun. ;(

I used to hesitate, but as I got older I didn't want to meet someone I had to hide something from. At the end of the day it doesn't matter and you never know, that person might also be interested in it as well.

May 17, 2:22 AM

im somewhere between 5-8

i will only wear anime clothing during convention time, but its so funny to see peoples reactions when you walk into a store in a sexy anime girl shirt xD

May 17, 2:26 AM

Walking down the street in cosplay almost daily is pretty open right? Having pretty much no friends outside the anime community is pretty open right? The friends I do have who are not anime fans are Video Game fans or Lolita fashion wearers. One time, I was around people who weren't in the "otaku community" and were just people who were playing Pokemon Go... I made references to DBZ, Sailor Moon, Evangelion, and then Attack on Titan before giving up on them. I literally could not be understood by normies. Oh and the normies did a prayer circle... for my autism. Thanks.

Pokemon Go... it was as far out of the Japanophile community as I went... I have one other person I talk to who isn't family who isn't an otaku... but she likes my cute costumes and she watched Gravitation and called Eiri hot. I think she is a secret Fujo who if born in my generation she would have been a Fujo. When I get Yuri on Ice I am going to show her. She is a huge fan of Johnny Weir so, she should adore it. Did I mention this person is my boss? (well informally but I do volunteer there).
Modified by Jonouchi-Katsuya, May 17, 2:34 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.

May 17, 2:47 AM
1-2 I guess
I even have PC monitor and TV set up in the way it's impossible to see what I am watching from entrance of the room I'm in.
Also I have 2 shortcuts set for my video player. One is to close video player (so called panic button) and other is to start playing where I stopped.
Modified by touss, May 17, 2:55 AM

May 17, 2:51 AM
no offense but even i would be creeped out by u if ur first sentence upon meeting me is whether i watch anime or not... this is why most of yall havent even held hands with girls.

id go up to 3-4, but im not embarrassed about it.

May 17, 4:37 AM

I'd say I'm a 6. And I also start conversations about anime with people that don't particularly like anime; sometimes, at least. Though in reality I'm probably more of a 7, it's just that I never find any kind of anime merchandise where I live.

May 17, 6:28 AM

Is there a 4.5?

I don't have a problem telling people I like anime IF and only IF they ask, but only the very few friends I have know I'm into it (cuz I can only possibly form a friendship with people that like anime about as much as me).
I have no problem joining anime talks with those friends but I almost never "initiate" conversations cuz I'm just not a topic bringer.
Modified by HyperL, May 17, 6:37 AM
Thinking of sending me a friend request?

Before you do it, please check the 'Friend request' section of my profile.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »