Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 14, 2017 2:42 PM

Aug 2013
We thought we had grown wise, but really we had grown foolish. We became overconfident in technology, and this could have spelled our downfall. We forgot our heart, and the deep meanings therein.

The year is 2017. This is the 21st century. Are we finally moving on to a wiser era?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 14, 2017 2:47 PM

Jan 2009
if we cannot find god then we create god like an omnibenevolent super artificial intelligence
May 14, 2017 2:53 PM

Dec 2016
We still haven't made anime waifus real so no
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
May 14, 2017 2:57 PM

Apr 2017
>current year
>world still trash
>no real life waifus yet
>yep it's time to give up, mass suicide time
>you first

But for real I thought from the Christian standpoint that God made us in his image and has "a larger mysterious plan" how could we possibly go wrong. would it not be his fault we've played God... Ofc there's the "we've strayed too far from gods light" type thought but I think we've gotten better and better especially in the 21st century with the spreading of knowledge through the Internet.
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
May 14, 2017 3:00 PM

Aug 2016
It's actually illegal in most countries to play god. We've actually held ourselves back a bit because of our morals. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is not up to me.
May 14, 2017 3:01 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
We've come so far and we still don't know what's the colour of a mirror.
May 14, 2017 3:03 PM

Nov 2008
j0x said:
if we cannot find god then we create god like an omnibenevolent super artificial intelligence

That would be like the Controller and Noah, potential civilization destroyers if something goes wrong with them. No one wants this.

May 14, 2017 3:09 PM

Jan 2009
Hoppy said:
j0x said:

That would be like the Controller and Noah, potential civilization destroyers if something goes wrong with them. No one wants this.

well thats why i added omnibenevolent there
May 14, 2017 3:48 PM

Apr 2012
barely

technology just started taking off in the early 2000s

we are just getting started

May 14, 2017 4:40 PM

May 2013
have you heard the Theory of the Bicameral Mind?

it's an interesting hypothesis that in the ancient times, human's minds were fundamentally different.

Where as now, we are aware of our own minds and consider the inner voice to be 'me,' in ancient times the inner voice would have actually been considered as god! This might have explained some of their behavior, kind of a 'hive mind' type of society (think Ancient Egypt).

It's not always widely credited but interesting to think about, and suggests that though humans might frequently play God now, it hasn't always been the case.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 14, 2017 5:00 PM

Feb 2016
I think the biggest worry is running out of resources and destroying the planet to the point of being uninhabitable. Maybe technology will solve resource and pollution issues, but I'm not overly optimistic about that.

Technology in general is posing multiple threats. For one, automation is already affecting jobs and it will continue to displace manual labor to the point where unemployment figures will keep climbing into unmanageable territory. We might also face the problem of self-replicating AI, which is a worry of many science fiction writers, as well as scientists in general. I'm not sure whether AI will overtake human intelligence, but it seems like a possibility and is among one of the areas where us humans playing God have bit off more than we could chew.

We are also doing some questionable things with food and medicine which may come back and bite us in our ass.

May 14, 2017 5:04 PM

Jun 2015
Barnald said:

It's silver. If you get a high enough angle that light does not deflect on it, you'll yield its true color

(plus the fact that the coating is made from silver or other derivatives)
May 14, 2017 5:06 PM

Jan 2009
Saucy said:
I think the biggest worry is running out of resources

plenty of resources in space, fund NASA more please
also fund 3D printing more so it can achieve molecular assembler/replicator levels

May 14, 2017 5:32 PM

Apr 2014
we haven't grown overconfident in our technology, we've grown overconfident in our money
so long as we have enough to make ourselves happy for a brief moment, then we feel content, ignoring the real problems or hindrances
I could donate $10-20,000 to NASA if I wanted to and help in any way possible with helping advancing civilization, but I'd rather buy a new car
May 14, 2017 5:35 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Isn't our ultimate to replace your so called "god" at some point? Idk if technology is the right way, but it has certainly improved our lives for the past century. However, everything comes with a price, we will have to take responsibility for our actions at some point.
May 14, 2017 5:42 PM

Oct 2014
If we take a loose interpretation of Christianity and assume that "God" is literally the "Father of Humanity", then us "playing god" would just mean that we are in our rebellious teenager phase, so what follows next is... I guess we'll either crash hard or we'll somehow become mature enough by ourselves I guess?
May 14, 2017 6:05 PM

Feb 2016
j0x said:
Saucy said:
I think the biggest worry is running out of resources

also fund 3D printing more so it can achieve molecular assembler/replicator levels

We are nowhere near the capacity to explore space, let alone gather resources, yet we are already feeling the pressure of establishing sustainable energy and clean water.

3D printing is really not a solution to resource problems because it doesn't magically create stuff out of thin air. 3D printers still need epoxy, ABS plastic, metals, and so on.

May 14, 2017 6:07 PM
Jul 2018
But we haven't even gotten properly to transhumanism.
May 14, 2017 6:08 PM
Jul 2018
I wanted to post a waifu joke but I guess all I am going to say is.

Stop being a stupid pseudo-intellectual hipster.
May 14, 2017 6:10 PM

Jan 2009
Saucy said:
j0x said:

We are nowhere near the capacity to explore space, let alone gather resources, yet we are already feeling the pressure of establishing sustainable energy and clean water.

3D printing is really not a solution to resource problems because it doesn't magically create stuff out of thin air. 3D printers still need epoxy, ABS plastic, metals, and so on.

3D printing is like the baby step to make a molecular assembler like the replicator
In Star Trek a replicator is a machine capable of creating (and recycling) objects. Replicators were originally seen used to synthesize meals on demand, but in later series they took on many other uses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicator_(Star_Trek)
May 14, 2017 6:13 PM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
j0x said:

And what if these near-by space resources run out? What then, further expansion? We can't keep dodging the big elephant in the room forever, lack of a sustainable infrastructure is a real problem.

if further expansion to deep space is harder then just control the overpopulation

but i doubt it since technological singularity promises accelerated scientific breakthroughs and innovation/inventions if humanitys future AI overlords does not decide that humanity should die

plus like the other poster said there is also transhumanism
May 14, 2017 6:21 PM

Sep 2014
We still haven't invented toilet paper that doesn't rip when wiping, we are far from being gods....
May 14, 2017 6:31 PM

Apr 2017
Elegade said:
We still haven't invented toilet paper that doesn't rip when wiping, we are far from being gods....

What kind of razor sharp ass hair do you have man?

Either that or way too soft paper lol

May 14, 2017 6:33 PM

Jan 2009
Grey-Zone said:
If we take a loose interpretation of Christianity and assume that "God" is literally the "Father of Humanity", then us "playing god" would just mean that we are in our rebellious teenager phase, so what follows next is... I guess we'll either crash hard or we'll somehow become mature enough by ourselves I guess?

lol that family logic, the parent which is god should not be a controlling parent to his children like humanity, let the children grow or fail by themselves, but no if god is real he is bringing too much evil or random shit for the sake of testing us until we become permanently broken or die
May 14, 2017 6:35 PM

Sep 2014
Ikaros_42oh said:
Elegade said:

I have a really sensitive asshole from reading mean comments on my tumblr blog, so I need really soft and delicate toilet paper.
May 14, 2017 6:44 PM

Apr 2017
Elegade said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

I have a really sensitive asshole from reading mean comments on my tumblr blog, so I need really soft and delicate toilet paper.

Oh my I'm so sorry to hear that... Have you considered applying some anti-trigger cream?

May 14, 2017 6:55 PM

Sep 2014
Ikaros_42oh said:
Elegade said:

Oh my I'm so sorry to hear that... Have you considered applying some anti-trigger cream?

I have along with a feminist butt plug I got at dashcon, but they don't work sadly.
May 14, 2017 7:00 PM

Aug 2013
Not so much playing god as it is being on the top of the food chain. Like, the only natural predator left for us is Earth, time and ourselves.

It'll all work itself out.
May 14, 2017 7:01 PM

Dec 2016
j0x said:

Actually we have gotten pretty good with the stuff that counts.
https://3dprint.com/139537/3d-printed-guns/

I have a printer than can print Glocks.

Yes, metal 3D printing technology is real, and yes it can be used to 3D print the parts for a fully functional firearm. There are several different metal 3D printing processes and technologies, but what they all have in common is price. A metal 3D printer will cost tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, so using it to 3D print a gun isn’t going to be anywhere near affordable. In fact, a few years ago a company actually did use a metal 3D printer to make a gun, and Solid Concepts (now part of Stratasys Direct and no longer in the gun business) sold them for $11,000 a piece.

May 14, 2017 7:02 PM

Mar 2016
we're still here so humans haven't played god enough
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
May 14, 2017 7:04 PM
Oct 2012
JustaBrer said:
Are we finally moving on to a wiser era?

No. If anything, we are becoming more ignorant. Prosperity breeds entitlement, entitlement breeds obliteration.

May 14, 2017 7:06 PM

Jan 2009
Soverign said:
j0x said:

Yes, metal 3D printing technology is real, and yes it can be used to 3D print the parts for a fully functional firearm. There are several different metal 3D printing processes and technologies, but what they all have in common is price. A metal 3D printer will cost tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, so using it to 3D print a gun isn’t going to be anywhere near affordable. In fact, a few years ago a company actually did use a metal 3D printer to make a gun, and Solid Concepts (now part of Stratasys Direct and no longer in the gun business) sold them for $11,000 a piece.

lol you are definitely from USA you gun loving sonuvabitch
May 14, 2017 7:09 PM

Dec 2016
j0x said:
Soverign said:

lol you are definitely from USA you gun loving sonuvabitch

Doesn't matter, still printed a gun.
Besides you civilians are degenerates. When I make a drone, I am all like, "How can I kill people with this thing!" When you make a drone, you are all like "How can i spy on naked womenz with this thing!". Damn profligates. -_-
May 14, 2017 7:27 PM

Oct 2014
j0x said:
Grey-Zone said:

lol that family logic, the parent which is god should not be a controlling parent to his children like humanity, let the children grow or fail by themselves, but no if god is real he is bringing too much evil or random shit for the sake of testing us until we become permanently broken or die

Well it's a "loose" interpretation, as I said, that came to me when I read "humans play god" while in Christianity "God" is often refered to as a "father", i.e. essentially a human being, which made me make this example because it actually fits in an interesting way, as in the past "God" would often supposedly interfere with humanity directly, at first appearing more or less directly and even causing world-wide intereferences (flood from Noah's story), all this perhaps being the newborn phase.

Then later "God" would stop appearing directly, instead using mediums (e.g. burning branch when speaking to Moses) and limiting direct intereferences to only be at national level at most (e.g. plagues of egypt), this would perhaps be the infancy phase, which would later conclude when the whole stuff with Jesus happened perhaps being some kind of "coming-of-age ceremony", by older standards, of course where you become an adult at somewhere between 12-15 years old.

Now in the teenager phase (or perhaps rather even young adult) "God" left humanity alone to get it's own experiences without constant nagging by a parent.

The interesting part is that is coincidents with 3 sacraments of the Catholic Church that people have mostly based on time/age, known as a set as the "Sacraments of initiation" and they are usually given, at least in modern times, the shortly after birth, the second at about 9 or 10 years old and the last one at about 14 years or later.

That said I don't say that this is in any way, shape or form the truth, but it's a quite an interesting interpretation of "God's role as a father to humanity", even if it's just a coincidence or even if one doesn't believe in god in the first place. Of course if you look closely at it there are some weaknesses to such a train of thought, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless, even if it's just for entertainment's sake.
May 14, 2017 7:32 PM

Jan 2009
Grey-Zone said:
but it's an interesting thought nonetheless, even if it's just for entertainment's sake.

ye i know i live in a christian country anyway
and i have watch christian oriented anime and hollywood movies and i find them entertaining too
May 14, 2017 7:41 PM

Apr 2017
Takuan_Soho said:
JustaBrer said:
Are we finally moving on to a wiser era?

No. If anything, we are becoming more ignorant. Prosperity breeds entitlement, entitlement breeds obliteration.

If say we're becoming more intelligent but are being misled into entitlement which I agree has gotten out of hand but how can you stop that really?

May 14, 2017 7:49 PM

Jan 2009
Ikaros_42oh said:
Takuan_Soho said:

If say we're becoming more intelligent but are being misled into entitlement which I agree has gotten out of hand but how can you stop that really?

yep its true that people are getting more entitled especially the poor but thats because the media is glorifying the lifestyle of rich and famous too anyway lol, so expect envious poor people, and the politicians are promising too much too
May 14, 2017 8:10 PM

Feb 2015
May 14, 2017 8:33 PM

Sep 2013
Thought this was going to be about Re:Creators but nah, just some normie.
May 14, 2017 8:36 PM
Dec 2014
Not far enough, if you ask me. We can go further.
May 14, 2017 8:57 PM

Aug 2009
I think we'll be going too far when we get to cloning and shit... so far nah. I want my fucking transhumanist augmentations.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 14, 2017 9:01 PM

Jan 2009
LoneWolf said:
I want my fucking transhumanist augmentations.

why go for surgical augmentations when you can just go nanomachines

May 14, 2017 9:04 PM

Aug 2009
j0x said:
LoneWolf said:
I want my fucking transhumanist augmentations.

why go for surgical augmentations when you can just go nanomachines

Indeed, Nanomachines seem a lot more efficient.

Augments still look badass tho and kind of like the idea of non-organic limbs. Like transforming my arm into a gun or shooting bullets out of my fingers lol.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 14, 2017 9:07 PM
Jul 2018
but i am a god

what do you mean

jon ossoff is the salvation of mankind

marie le pen was my first choice but i made her into trump

like "o shit its the french trump"
May 14, 2017 9:44 PM
Oct 2012
Ikaros_42oh said:

Not sure if one can stop it. Nietzsche did not think it could be stopped. I fear that all we can do is to let people experience the natural conclusion to their idealism. Sort of like letting women who want to marry ISIS fighters marry them, then banning them from returning.
May 14, 2017 9:55 PM

Apr 2017
Takuan_Soho said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

Not sure if one can stop it. Nietzsche did not think it could be stopped. I fear that all we can do is to let people experience the natural conclusion to their idealism. Sort of like letting women who want to marry ISIS fighters marry them, then banning them from returning.

no joke this might be the third time ive seen you mention these girls marrying ISIS fighters recently

is it a big problem where ur at or something lmao

but yeah i guess we're entitled to see where our entitlement leads us

May 14, 2017 10:00 PM

Sep 2009
Any human who has confidence in humanity is an idiot.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
May 15, 2017 2:06 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Brb said:
Barnald said:

It's silver. If you get a high enough angle that light does not deflect on it, you'll yield its true color

(plus the fact that the coating is made from silver or other derivatives)

What if the mirror is a lie. What then
May 15, 2017 2:07 AM

May 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
Any human who has confidence in humanity is an idiot.

'it takes an idiot to do something cool' - flcl
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 15, 2017 2:17 AM

Aug 2013
Hoppy said:
j0x said:

kawaii96desu said:
Isn't our ultimate to replace your so called "god" at some point? Idk if technology is the right way, but it has certainly improved our lives for the past century. However, everything comes with a price, we will have to take responsibility for our actions at some point.

You two have misunderstood. No one or no body can absolutely replicate omnibenevolence, omnipotence or omniscience. These are infinite.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is fanart cheating?

spaceslut - Mar 5, 2023

29 by Absurdo_N »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

21 by Vendicator »»
1 hour ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 hours ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 hours ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

32 by KenaiPhoenix »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.