Forum Settings
Forums

People of MAL, I need help identifying a certain genre.

New
May 14, 2017 5:07 AM

Oct 2012
I've been playing Arcade Rhythm games for a long time and have always wondered: What music genre does those music belong to?

I tried googling but I got nothing. Any music expert here can help me out?

An example I'm talking about is this

What music genre do those music belong to?
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
May 14, 2017 5:14 AM

Jan 2015
Uh possibly neoclassical? Great track too.
FahtahSenseiMay 14, 2017 5:19 AM
May 14, 2017 5:20 AM

Oct 2012
FahtahSensei said:

Neoclassical?

I'm afraid I don't quite understand you there....
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
May 14, 2017 5:26 AM

Jan 2015
Jiharo said:
FahtahSensei said:

Neoclassical?

I'm afraid I don't quite understand you there....

This is a fairly rigid explanation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoclassicism_(music) but contemporary bands in anime music like Yōsei Teikoku are sometimes given the same arbitrary label.
May 14, 2017 11:01 AM

Mar 2017
Oh sweet baby Jesus no. This is not anything even remotely close to neoclassical. Neoclassical comes from reawakened 1700s-1800s music in the early- to mid-1900s. Shostakovich is a good example. Stravinsky too.

This is called hybrid music. A mix between orchestral styles and electronic styles. There are tons of these new-wave composers.

To be fair to @FahtahSensei I can agree with him/her that at the 6:00 mark it sounds like neoclassical for like 30 seconds.

May 15, 2017 4:54 AM

Oct 2012
cruisin1600 said:
Oh sweet baby Jesus no. This is not anything even remotely close to neoclassical. Neoclassical comes from reawakened 1700s-1800s music in the early- to mid-1900s. Shostakovich is a good example. Stravinsky too.

This is called hybrid music. A mix between orchestral styles and electronic styles. There are tons of these new-wave composers.

To be fair to @FahtahSensei I can agree with him/her that at the 6:00 mark it sounds like neoclassical for like 30 seconds.

Is that a proper genre? Because I google that and all I got was "world music"

and I'm not exactly sure what are the traits of thats even after reading it.
May 15, 2017 5:08 AM

Jul 2015
am callings it
'ddr music'
!

May 15, 2017 5:16 AM

Oct 2012
Salvatia said:
am callings it
'ddr music'
!

But different rhythm games have different arrangements, you can't exactly pigeon-hole them.

They do, however belong to a broader genre and that's what I want to find out.

I mean you have stuff that uses pure instruments to pull through like this

Yet, I believe the above-mentioned music can be classified together with the example I gave above. There SHOULD exist a genre for it because I think they have some unique traits that can't allow them to be placed in any of the well-known genre out there.
JiharoMay 15, 2017 5:21 AM
May 15, 2017 7:19 AM

Mar 2017
Jiharo said:
cruisin1600 said:

Is that a proper genre? Because I google that and all I got was "world music"

and I'm not exactly sure what are the traits of thats even after reading it.

It's not widely recognized, and it's generally used for cinematically or for video games in my experience. You're not going to find anything about it except maybe on hybrid music YouTube channels.

World music doesn't match the description either because world music is the broad genre that encompasses folk music of all the parts of the world. No electronic aspects there.

And the characteristics are what I said. Orchestral (strings and some wind instruments) and electronic (digitalized) music fused together. Beyond that it varies per composer.

The examples of the music other people gave are hybrid compositions too.

Or you could just classify them as video game music. Some recognize that as a genre.

OP you're probably not going to find anything closer. I applaud you if you do though.

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7554 by 0arche »»
3 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Yesterday

5 by Zayvex »»
6 hours ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

17 by GoddessLove »»
8 hours ago

» AI generated OP/ED themes from imaginary anime that I came up with. (Over 20 songs and counting!)

FFandMMfan - Yesterday

2 by FFandMMfan »»
11 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3379 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Today, 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.