MOST of the anime I watch I simpy put in my DVD player, I have a real nice sony portable DVD player with a 9 inch screen and I have never found a DVD it wont play to include some that I suspect are regon encoded. I can also hook it up to my TV if I feel the need or want to watch with friends.
If for whatever reason I actually do download something, I will usualy try and find it in OGM format which limits the number of meda players that I can use so I tend to stick with VLC. However if I decide to toss one of my DVD's into my computer ill end up using media player most of the time
I use MPC now. I used VLC before that, but it screwed up so many of my subtitles, and in the case of some shows, wouldn't show them at all. I have not had a day's problem w/ MPC (Thanks Aokaado and RL for recommending it) since I started using it!! ^_^
Zoomplayer or Winamp, depending if the file's an .avi or .mkv. I used to use VLC for animes and dramas/movies in .mkv format, but I use Zoomplayer for those files now as I've noticed that VLC at times, messes up the fonts.
I used to use VLC for everything...but it turns out it screws with the softsubs on Nyoro~n's Gurren-Lagann fansubs. ^_^; So now I use Zoom for that and some of the more high-action series, since it tends to run the video more smoothly on my machine. I don't like Media Player's interface very much, so I tend to avoid it..
Lately ive been using MPC more and more, the biggest reason might be that in vlc some subs just goes "clean" (standar text), but in MPC the font is the way it should be. WMP often shows the font right, but can cause some problems when you have dual audio files, and choose the english track instead of the japanise, but in MPC that is easely configurated.
I use Windows Media Player combined with the latest CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) it works for about 98% of encodes out there. I just like having access to all my playlists (music, amvs and videos) without having to open up another program, quick and easy. For the remaining 2% I use Media Player Classic.
i use MPC (w/ CCCP installed obviously)
BSplayer isn't free anymore (though u can get an older version) although is more convenient for dual++ screens
VLC is rly bad when it comes to play softsubs and h264 (messed up frames, lines, etc)
zoomplayer doesn't play DVD
i just don't like to have mutiple video players xD
anyway to each his own hehe