Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 11, 2017 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
For me it's a huge toss up between the Trails of series and the Tales of series. Grew up with the Tales of series since Symphonia on the Gamecube and loved most of the series since then. (Aside from Dotnw, legendia and zestiria, but the latter had amazing msuic atleast.) And then the trails of series, started with sky FC on PC back in 2014 after friends suggestion and since then played the sky trilogy and both cold steel games. The music, writing, and world building is some of the best in any RPG i've ever played. Awaiting cold steel 3 and hopefully ao/zero localization haha.
removed-userMay 11, 2017 2:33 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 11, 2017 2:32 PM

Apr 2016
Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt from Witcher series.
May 11, 2017 2:52 PM

Jan 2016
Persona or Mass Effect. Both great story, and characters!
May 11, 2017 3:03 PM

Feb 2017
Mass Effect trilogy, by far. Story telling doesn't get better than this. Characters are so different, each have their own personalities, you grow attached to them over the games. Every decision has an after effect, which takes the 'frame your own adventure' to a whole new level. It provides a lot of game play time as well as replay value. Soundtrack to mission settings, its a world apart. It might seem I am fanboying too much, but that's because I am.

"All it took was an arm and a leg"
May 11, 2017 3:53 PM

Apr 2017
Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age Trilogy
May 11, 2017 5:36 PM

Sep 2012
Single game: Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt
Series (overall): Kingdom Hearts

Witcher 3 is probably the best single player RPG experience ever made. Incredible characters, solid gameplay and build variety, great atmosphere, amazing storyline, choices that aren't black and white, breathtaking environments, really fun minigames all around (Gwent is very simple but surprisingly enjoyable), rewards exploration with meaningful bonuses and even the secondary quests are very good. I doubt it will ever get topped.

As for the series, I would've liked to say it's overall SMT, but some of the new games I've played (Soul Hackers, Persona Q, SMTIV) made me doubt it because they weren't as good as the older PS2 entries or Strange Journey. I like Pokemon, but the first generations are pretty much obsolete and almost unplayable to me unless it's at 4x speed, even if Platinum, HG&SS and Black/White were the pinnacle of the series, but I'm not completely digging Sun/Moon direction and I haven't heard good things about X or Y either, so I'm in doubt with this one as well. Dragon Quest VIII and IX are really good, but I don't really like the older ones, V in particular has potential but suffers from lacking human party members until very late into the game. The Elder Scrolls, Disgaea, Fallout, Diablo, Fire Emblem, Trails, Tales or Etrian Odyssey.... those series aren't really that good to me, Dark Souls II was too much of a disaster to consider saying the Souls series...

After thinking about it, I guess I would say Kingdom Hearts. The first, second and Birth By Sleep were really good and I haven't played anything else besides those, but like I said, those three were really good games overall and still hold up pretty well today due to the artstyle and solid combat mechanics with a good soundtrack, as well as it's fair share of memorable and charming characters.
May 11, 2017 5:49 PM

Mar 2017
I played several RPG games but two series truly stood out as the best for me.

Suikoden series is my favourite RPG of all time. Played the entire series, except the DS and PSP version since it's not connected to the series at all. I liked how we can gather our own party member, not to mention that there's 108 person to recruit [Not all 108 are party member though], but it's still fun. Too bad the series all but forgotten now...
Favourite : Suikoden 2 & 5

Nowadays, i just play Persona series. I played P3,P3F, P3P, P4, and P5 [Not P1 and P2 since it was too late for me in my opinion]. Contrary to the party member recruitment in Suikoden, the persona fusion truly intrigues me, and the social link added more depth to the gameplay and offered a great characterization, as characterization is an aspect that is the most important gameplay for me.
Favourite : P5 & P3P
It's time to play the Game folks!
May 11, 2017 6:10 PM

Mar 2014
Dragon Age Origins... Seriously there was a point in my life where I played it enough that I knew where every piece of gold was(not including the drops from common enemies), every item location, how to nab every single xp point, the outcomes of each and every dialogue option including how each companion would react to it, exact words that were going to be said and how it would effect me later in the game. All of this was including the stone prisoner, return to ostagar, warden's keep, Awakening, golems of Amgarak and witch hunt. I wasn't invested in Leliana's song enough to comb trough every area and experiment with all the dialogue with multiple playthroughs and I didn't play any of the other dlc. I can't do that anymore though, I got a life now, but I still play it every once in a while.
May 11, 2017 7:07 PM

Jul 2016
Persona, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest.

I like some FF like VI, FFVIICrisisCore and the Tactics series. But I can't get hooked with the other games (I have tried I, II, IV, VII, IX, X and XIII).
May 11, 2017 7:34 PM
Jul 2018
Xenoblade Chronicles, Tales Of (specifically Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Berseria), The World Ends With You, Persona series (specifically Persona 5), Kingdom Hearts series, et cetera.

Why?

Because they're all effing AMAZING! :D
May 12, 2017 12:07 AM

Sep 2014
Hmm, it's a tie between the original Mass Effect Trilogy and Dark Souls/Bloodborne, but I'd edge it out to Mass Effect because it made me realize my love for 1 kilometer long mass accelerators capable of firing 20 kilogram ferrous slugs at 1.3% the speed of light, with the yield of 38 kilotons <3
May 12, 2017 12:44 AM

Nov 2008
Demon's Souls. Shame it's a PlayStation game. My PS3 died, so I can't play it anymore. But at least I've done everything in that game and played it for several hundred hours.

May 12, 2017 1:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
As a series, either Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate or The Elder Scrolls

As a single game... either Mass Effect 2, The Witcher 3 or Divinity Original Sin
May 12, 2017 5:48 AM

Jun 2015
The Souls series along with Bloodborne have ruined practically every other action RPG for me, lmao. I long for a game that can replicate their fluidity, novelty in their settings, level design, and overall atmosphere.
May 12, 2017 6:00 AM

Apr 2011
Final Fantasy. It introduced me to what is now my favorite genre of gaming (RPG). I don't honestly know what it is about it, but I really enjoy playing Final Fantasy games. I enjoy them so much, I've never played one I didn't enjoy and I've played most of the games in the franchise (the main installments at least), even if it is just a little bit with some (such as 1, 4 and 6). 2 is really the only one I've never touched (with the exceptions of the XIII trilogy, XI + XIV and XV, which I can't play due to not having the proper systems to play them with).
May 12, 2017 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
The Elder Scrolls because every game is awesome and very fun.
May 12, 2017 6:57 AM

Mar 2016
Persona or disgaea
May 12, 2017 7:57 AM
May 2015
I would say Kingdom Hearts or Persona
May 12, 2017 8:08 AM

Oct 2014
Trails ofc. Nothing just comes close to it, especially in terms of Worldbuilding & Characters.

And Estelle is Love Estelle is Life
so is Ries
so is Olivier
so is Kloe
so is Tita
so is Kevin
so are all characters really (except Gilbert)
May 12, 2017 8:19 AM
Apr 2011
For now, I have to say the Souls series, which includes Bloodborne. I like the challenge of turning up the heat and trying to be a warrior.
May 12, 2017 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
Shrimperor said:
Trails ofc. Nothing just comes close to it, especially in terms of Worldbuilding & Characters.

so is Ries
so is Olivier
so is Kloe
so is Tita
so is Kevin

100% agree, trails blew my expectations out of the water. The worldbuilding and character writing was simply amazing. And the OST for all the games has also been incredible. Falcom knows how to deliver. =P
May 12, 2017 11:14 AM

Aug 2016
Monster Hunter, coz what else is a kid going to do everyday but mine for random talismans in the volcano for 4 straight hours of farming hell just to fight monsters that'll take a few hundred hours of farming to get a set of armor/weapons you want so that you can beat up more monsters and spend another hundred hours... the cycle goes on...

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

May 12, 2017 11:31 AM

Jan 2013
Etrian Odyssey is pretty dank. My favourite is obviously Final Fantasy though. Duh.
May 12, 2017 11:37 AM
Feb 2016
Obviously, I'm a big fan of the Souls games, but I also really enjoyed the Witcher 3.

May 12, 2017 5:27 PM

Oct 2014
Aceynn said:
Shrimperor said:

so is Ries
so is Olivier
so is Kloe
so is Tita
so is Kevin

100% agree, trails blew my expectations out of the water. The worldbuilding and character writing was simply amazing. And the OST for all the games has also been incredible. Falcom knows how to deliver. =P

Falcom is love, Falcom is life

Trails + Ys = True Love :3

Btw, how's the 3rd treating ya?
May 12, 2017 5:36 PM
Jul 2018
Shrimperor said:
Aceynn said:

Falcom is love, Falcom is life

Trails + Ys = True Love :3

Btw, how's the 3rd treating ya?

Haven't had chance to start yet :( Been finishing up some other games first i had in my backlog
May 12, 2017 5:57 PM

Jun 2014
The Ys series is among one of my favorite RPG series of all time, although Ys VIII doesn't look like something I would want to play, which is a shame, because Falcom used to make some of the best games out there.

May 12, 2017 6:02 PM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
The Ys series is among one of my favorite RPG series of all time, although Ys VIII doesn't look like something I would want to play, which is a shame, because Falcom used to make some of the best games out there.
I've never actually played the YS series sadly, but i want to. What would you recommend as a good starting point?
May 12, 2017 6:04 PM

Jun 2014
Aceynn said:
Seiya said:
I've never actually played the YS series sadly, but i want to. What would you recommend as a good starting point?

Well, I would recommend starting from the first Ys game. There are various ports, but you would probably prefer either the DS or PSP versions of "Ys: Books I & II."

Then, try "Ys III: Wanderers from Ys." I recommend the Sega Genesis port, as it has the best music. It's also the first Ys game I ever played nearly 23 years ago.

May 12, 2017 6:08 PM

Mar 2017
Ah, this is hard... I'm stuck between Star Wars: The Old Republic and Rift. Rift was the first RPG I played so I have very fond memories of it, but I love the plots and stories in SWTOR. They're really fun to play.

EDIT: I forgot about Telltale's Walking Dead games. They're definitely one of my favourites, but now I'm even more stuck- ;;
May 12, 2017 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
Aceynn said:

Well, I would recommend starting from the first Ys game. There are various ports, but you would probably prefer either the DS or PSP versions of "Ys: Books I & II."

Then, try "Ys III: Wanderers from Ys." I recommend the Sega Genesis port, as it has the best music. It's also the first Ys game I ever played nearly 23 years ago.
Will do, i'll go with the psp version most likely and then see what i can do about the genesis port for 3. Thank you very much for the input :)
May 12, 2017 6:18 PM

Jul 2009
Persona, Trails, and Tales of for sure.
May 13, 2017 5:27 AM

Oct 2014
Aceynn said:

Haven't had chance to start yet :( Been finishing up some other games first i had in my backlog

prepare for some awesomeness then :D
Altough the game is really quite different from FC&SC, it's still awesome

Aceynn said:
Seiya said:

Will do, i'll go with the psp version most likely and then see what i can do about the genesis port for 3. Thank you very much for the input :)

About Ys1&2, i recommend the Steam version, you are also in luck since they are on Sale on Humble Bundle atm

As for Ys3, i also recommend Oath in Felghana instead of Genesis version..

Seiya said:

Everyone i know who is an Ys fan and played Ys8 says it's the best Ys so far. I am still waiting for english tl tho, so....
May 13, 2017 6:17 AM

Nov 2015
definitely Persona and Tales of
May 13, 2017 7:49 AM

Jun 2014
Shrimperor said:
Aceynn said:

prepare for some awesomeness then :D
Altough the game is really quite different from FC&SC, it's still awesome

Aceynn said:

About Ys1&2, i recommend the Steam version, you are also in luck since they are on Sale on Humble Bundle atm

As for Ys3, i also recommend Oath in Felghana instead of Genesis version..

Seiya said:

Everyone i know who is an Ys fan and played Ys8 says it's the best Ys so far. I am still waiting for english tl tho, so....

I can't stand the art style of Ys 8, or Ys Seven for that matter.

I won't play games with modern ugly art styles. "Ys: The Ark of Napishtim" is the newest Ys game which doesn't burn my eye sockets. I wouldn't play Trails of Cold Steel either, because it's too ugly to look at.

May 13, 2017 8:11 AM

Jul 2014
Persona. Love their characters, style, theme exploration, tonal variety. The games are immersive as fuck too.
Take care of yourself

May 15, 2017 7:20 AM
Nov 2016
Just finished Trails in the Sky: 3rd Chapter earlier. It was awesome due to compelling character development of main protagonist and positivity of supporting characters.
May 15, 2017 11:02 AM

Apr 2016
Aceynn said:
For me it's a huge toss up between the Trails of series and the Tales of series. Grew up with the Tales of series since Symphonia on the Gamecube and loved most of the series since then. (Aside from Dotnw, legendia and zestiria, but the latter had amazing msuic atleast.) And then the trails of series, started with sky FC on PC back in 2014 after friends suggestion and since then played the sky trilogy and both cold steel games. The music, writing, and world building is some of the best in any RPG i've ever played. Awaiting cold steel 3 and hopefully ao/zero localization haha.

Final Fantasy....hands down!
May 15, 2017 10:19 PM

Mar 2012
Atelier, Persona, Tales of and maybe Fire Emblem.
I really like Trails of Cold Steel I and II so I might play Trails in the Sky before Cold Steel III is out someday.
May 17, 2017 4:02 AM

May 2012
Suikoden because my waifu is in it.
May 17, 2017 4:25 AM

Nov 2013
The Final Fantasy series, specifically Final Fantasy 6, it is just perfect in so many ways. I played 7, 9 and 10, but none of them came close to FF6 in my opinion. Kefka is the best villain I've seen across any medium (fucking clown demi-god who destroys the world and kills an uncountable amount of people just for fun), the music is the best I've seen from any game, even better than Chrono Trigger and all of the playable characters are likable in their own ways and have their own story. It is the best game I will probably play in my lifetime until one day my prayers are answered and Square Enix does a modern remake.
May 17, 2017 8:22 AM

Apr 2016
Pokemon. It's one of the only things I grew up with and still like today. I didn't have the original GB, so as a kid, my first Pokemon game (Sapphire) was one of the most immersive experiences as a child. I really wanted to live in Hoenn. The remakes were amazing as well, and really hit me in the feels. I've enjoyed practically every pokemon game. My favourite games are probably Black and White. I don't care that people hate the designs, I like it because of the music, the plot, the sound effects, everything. Then when X and Y came out, I thought the Megas were just the best thing ever (still are tbh).
May 17, 2017 8:45 AM

Jun 2010
Mario (?) I guess...
May 17, 2017 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
baphometh said:
Pokemon. It's one of the only things I grew up with and still like today. I didn't have the original GB, so as a kid, my first Pokemon game (Sapphire) was one of the most immersive experiences as a child. I really wanted to live in Hoenn. The remakes were amazing as well, and really hit me in the feels. I've enjoyed practically every pokemon game. My favourite games are probably Black and White. I don't care that people hate the designs, I like it because of the music, the plot, the sound effects, everything. Then when X and Y came out, I thought the Megas were just the best thing ever (still are tbh).
I loved sapphire as well! :) Gen 2 is my personal favourite gen for the reasons you listed. I wasn't the biggest black and white fan at the very start to be fair, but it has grown on me over the years. N is one of my absolute favourite charcaters aswell! :D (and yes the maga evos are amazing =P).
May 17, 2017 5:38 PM

Apr 2017
Hard to decide between the Shin Megami Tensei games and spinoffs,Final Fantasy, or the Witcher series.
May 17, 2017 5:52 PM

Mar 2014
Drackx said:
Mario (?) I guess...

Definitely Mario for me.
May 17, 2017 6:08 PM
Jul 2018
The Gothic series, mostly because of nostalgia.
May 17, 2017 6:58 PM

Nov 2011
Dragon Quest mainly do to consistency. DQ 3,4, and 5 are some of my favorite games period.
May 17, 2017 7:46 PM

Nov 2016
İts hard to pick i really liked baldurs gate , elder scrools , final fantasy and souls series cant really pick tho they have diffrent places for me.

As a single game Witcher 3 wild hunt , i think that game is at another level without a doubt best rpg i have ever played.
May 18, 2017 12:02 AM

Oct 2015
for me the the Zelda series
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

51 by juanlqr »»
2 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - 6 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
6 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Yesterday

4 by _Nette_ »»
6 hours ago

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
10 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
Yesterday, 2:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.