Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 10, 2017 11:55 PM

Oct 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Luffy showed Big Mom the picture, we got the scream we wanted and we'll be getting a backstory for the next few chapters

May 11, 2017 12:01 AM

Dec 2012
Great chapter.

Big Mom saw the photo. Woah that is one loud scream.
Reiju smiling was so damn sweet.

Sanji & the others rescuing the Vinsmokes. Sanji standing over his father & siblings was awesome.

Big Mom Flashback.
Break next week. Thanks for the hard work Oda Sensei.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

May 11, 2017 12:37 AM

Mar 2017
Good chapter! I´m glad that Sanji is rescuing Vinsmokes. He was very cool.
I´m not that ecxcited about Big mom flashback that will start in next chapter :/
May 11, 2017 1:06 AM

Dec 2013
Sanji standing on the table looked epic!

A break before the backstory. Looking forward to what Big Mom was like when she was 5 years old!
May 11, 2017 1:12 AM

Jun 2015
A decent chapter, I'm somewhat looking forward to seeing Big Mom's flashback, but at the same time it'll halt the current progress a little so I hope it doesn't take too many chapters. Damn you, Oda and your breaks... oh well, at least he's not working himself to death.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
May 11, 2017 1:28 AM

Jun 2014
Sanji looked awesome standing in front of his family with his legs on fire. Put some respect on his name, assholes (except Reiju, she's not an asshole).

Things are going according to plan for now, looks like we're going to be getting another juicy backstory. Not only will we learn more about Mother Caramel and her significance in Big Mom's life, but it takes place on Elbaf, so maybe we'll also get to understand why Big Mom doesn't like the Giants.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 11, 2017 1:31 AM

Dec 2011
Another good chapter and love the panel Sanji stood up just between the Vinsmoke like a boss.Seems like we are getting a flashback for Big Mom and mother Caramel next chapter.
May 11, 2017 1:52 AM

Dec 2014
well finally she cried....Next time big Mom's past ....curios as other how she looked i the past
May 11, 2017 1:54 AM

Oct 2007
So a week's break. Then we get a backstory break and then we probably see big mom go into her next level form / awakened / super sayajin form.

AND ONLY AFTER ALL THAT, after probably 2-3 months we finally see the beginning of next arc and FINALLY the story will move on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2017 1:54 AM

Aug 2010
Sanji looked so damn cooool standing with flaming legs like that. Reiju is <3

that bitch tier Judge strong enough to withstand BMs haki without fainting :o

Big Mom flashback in Elbaf wow. Can't wait
Barion-ZaraMay 11, 2017 2:31 AM
May 11, 2017 2:09 AM

Dec 2014
Goddamn, Sanji with that epic pose while standing on the table, lovely touch with his feet on flames.

Bege defending against Dogtooth was cool as well.

Big Mom's scream sends ripples through the area.
Elbaf flashback, awesome. so looking forward to this.
May 11, 2017 2:30 AM

Nov 2016
Sanji showing kindness towards his family is probably the greatest punishement/humilation for them. Wonder how they gonna deal with it and I'm very curious to see how the character development of the Vinsmokes will look out from here onwards.

Luffy succeeded in bringing Big Mom to the brink of madness, Haoshoku outbreak was extremely powerful, probably the strongest one we have witnessed so far. Most of the "fodder" is down and the odds are in favor of the aliance, but the table will probably turn once again before we arrive at the very final stage of this arc.

The chapter concluded with a flashback of Big Mom. 63 years ago, huh ? How old was she their, was she already a grown up ? a teen? or a kid ? Either way, I'm really looking forward to what details we will get to know about her from this trip in the past.

Overall, great stuff like always.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 11, 2017 2:56 AM
Oct 2013
Good chapter, wish we´d gotten this last week as the story of both could have been easily told in one chapter and we would be in Big Mpm flashback already.

Gotta be honest I´m indifferent towards Big Mom´s backstory. Oda can give her great characterization or fuck her character up. There is just no way he can make that character sympathetic. Understandable, but not sympathetic and we if he tries to make us feel sorry for inhuman monster that kills her children on a whim than his hubris is bigger than that of Shyamalan. Fuck Oda if he actually tries to make us feel sorry for this walking piece of shit.

Regardless of how tragic Hitlers backstory becomes he´s still Hitler.
May 11, 2017 4:53 AM

Jan 2016
Thrilling chapter! Big mom flashback incoming.

Break next week and even though the Thursday won't feel like one because of the break, good job Oda! Looking forward to see what you have in store for us
May 11, 2017 5:15 AM

Jan 2011
WOW! We got the scream at last.

It's great that Sanji helped his family. Maybe now his father will realize what a great son Sanji has become.

It looks we'll have some backstory next chapters. A 5 years old Big Mom will be interesting. And it looks like she has some connections with the giants of Elbaf nt only through Lola's failed marriage. This is one of the few backstories that I look forward to.
May 11, 2017 5:22 AM

May 2014
Elbaf's the giants' place right, I wonder what that caramel woman has to do with it. These bounties are outrageous though btw.
May 11, 2017 5:35 AM

Oct 2015
A full chapter just for one scream and a two-week cliffhanger... Can't say I loved it. Also where the hell are all of Big Mom's other children? And crewmates? Why are Prospero and Katakuri the only ones doing anything? Ok, so lets see what Big Mom's history with Mother Caramel is. Heard theories she might just be a figment of Pudding's DF but given the ending made it seem like she actually exists.
May 11, 2017 6:06 AM

May 2012
Good chapter but I am surprised Katakuri didn't see Capone's betrayal. I hope we get a little more information on Katakuri's ability to see into the future as he seems to miss important moments.
May 11, 2017 6:22 AM
Oct 2013
MoonStar9 said:
A full chapter just for one scream and a two-week cliffhanger... Can't say I loved it. Also where the hell are all of Big Mom's other children? And crewmates? Why are Prospero and Katakuri the only ones doing anything? Ok, so lets see what Big Mom's history with Mother Caramel is. Heard theories she might just be a figment of Pudding's DF but given the ending made it seem like she actually exists.

Well, it´s actually confirmed that she exists or at least existed if not dead by now.
If you pay attention you´ll notice that it´s Big Mom´s inner monologue talking about her mother. Regardless if she´s her biological mother or a foster mother, it´s the only person, she has showed any affection or even interest towards.

So, I assume that we´ll be given a flashback in which Big Mom is left as a kid, by Caramel, discriminated badly because of her half giant lineage by her environment and turns evil because the world was mean to her and she missed her mother.

Judging from the foreshadowing, this character arc makes perfect sense. It explains Big Mom´s childish attitude towards anything, it explains her distaste towards the giants, it explains her height and it also explains her wish to create a family that consists of all the races in the world.

Basicly Big Mom is Broly.
IsterioMay 11, 2017 9:30 AM
May 11, 2017 6:23 AM
Sep 2012
Reijiu no, I knew she wasn't going to die, but you a point a gun to my girl's face, that makes me scared, especially with that satisfied with dying smile. No no.

So the rest of the Vinsmokes are free, Nami and Carrot armed them, this is a chance for them to redeem themselves after the pitiful display I saw last chapter, I mean really.

Now than, Big Mom finally losing it, did anyone take the time to think that might make things hard for us as it would the enemy?

So next chapter, Big Mom back story, is Oda make us feel some ounce of sympathy for her, he tried with Doflamingo and he failed, at least he failed with me, his backstory feel any sympathy for him, his brother perhaps, but not him. We will see.

No chapter next week, of course.
May 11, 2017 6:26 AM

Apr 2013
Big Mom is gonna snap out of it or someone is going to interfere because Bege is taking too fucking long to shoot
May 11, 2017 6:37 AM

Mar 2015
mom flashbakc? does it mean she will die? or a power up?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 11, 2017 6:51 AM

Jan 2011
i think that big moms mother is Elder Nyon from Amazon Lily ....
Big moms scream to op ...
cant wait 2 weeks too see flashback
May 11, 2017 7:05 AM

Jul 2015
Foxyclaws said:
Good chapter! I´m glad that Sanji is rescuing Vinsmokes. He was very cool.
I´m not that ecxcited about Big mom flashback that will start in next chapter :/

how can you not be excited about elbaf ?

sakamoto-kun said:
The chapter concluded with a flashback of Big Mom. 63 years ago, huh ? How old was she their, was she already a grown up ? a teen? or a kid ? Either way, I'm really looking forward to what details we will get to know about her from this trip in the past.

she was 5 years old at that point.

unleashrage said:
Good chapter but I am surprised Katakuri didn't see Capone's betrayal. I hope we get a little more information on Katakuri's ability to see into the future as he seems to miss important moments.

katakuri can only concentrate on one (or so) person and somewhat see what he will do in the next 5 or so seconds. its not like he can just concentrate and knows what will happen in the whole area in the near future.
Galaxy__May 11, 2017 7:11 AM
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
May 11, 2017 7:20 AM

Nov 2016
@Galaxy__

Thanks for your reply, already looked it up. Kinda hard to believe since she has 85 children, but well that's One Piece for ya :D

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 11, 2017 7:26 AM

Jul 2015
sakamoto-kun said:
@Galaxy__

Thanks for your reply, already looked it up. Kinda hard to believe since she has 85 children, but well that's One Piece for ya :D

"She was (has been) giving birth to babies every year about for 42 years. Opera was born as quintuplets. Opera (5th son) Counter (6th son) Cadenza (7th son) Cabaletta (8th son) Gala (9th son).The highest record of Big Mom's multiple births is 10 children at one time. The children are now 18 years old."

well that explains how it works
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
May 11, 2017 7:36 AM

Nov 2016
Galaxy__ said:
sakamoto-kun said:
@Galaxy__

"She was (has been) giving birth to babies every year about for 42 years. Opera was born as quintuplets. Opera (5th son) Counter (6th son) Cadenza (7th son) Cabaletta (8th son) Gala (9th son).The highest record of Big Mom's multiple births is 10 children at one time. The children are now 18 years old."

Boy, she was pretty busy during these years. Is that info from the FPS or the manga ? If the latter one is the case I can't really recall it.

May 11, 2017 7:46 AM

Jul 2015
sakamoto-kun said:
Galaxy__ said:

Boy, she was pretty busy during these years. Is that info from the FPS or the manga ? If the latter one is the case I can't really recall it.

its from the last sbs (85)
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
May 11, 2017 8:20 AM

Jun 2015
I'm not too happy about the flashback interrupting an epic battle like this.
May 11, 2017 8:38 AM
Apr 2014
Big Mom Flashback eh? interesting, I mean this isn't the flashback of a random fodder character we don't care about, it's a freaking Yonko.
May 11, 2017 8:44 AM

May 2008
Elbaf HYPE!

Not much happened this chapter.

Feels like a 'sad' Big Mom flashback incoming.
May 11, 2017 9:38 AM

Jun 2011
No idea why some people don't like the upcoming backstory.. is it because it's going to be "predictably sad"?

I personally welcome it, main reason being I've always felt like Big Mam's character is very lacking.. even Pudding and Katakuri got far more character than her, and if she goes down without further depth, I'd be very disappointed just as I was with Doffy's executives. I expect the backstory to add more depth to her character, explain her bad blood with Elbaf, her relationship with the lady in the photo, and give us a preview to Elbaf. Some people also speculated that the huge tree in the middle of the city will be the Yggdrasil, so I'll be looking out for theories for that. P.S. it might also explain her motivation to unite all races in the world.. P.P.S. I don't see the backstory as it redeeming her sins, just like Doffy's, it'll only serve to add depth to her character, whether or not it "redeems" her, it's up to the viewers, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sanji is looking cool again.. For a long time now I haven't thought of "cool" to synonym with Sanji's character, so that's a cool thing. I want Sanji to knock Judge out though, I don't want cringey sappy dialogue between them, and I don't want them to reconcile. Ichiji looking cool as always, he's so calm, I wonder if he has an ace up his sleeve.

Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 11, 2017 10:09 AM

Aug 2008
What an intense chapter. Not sure I would like flashback interrupting here.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
May 11, 2017 11:33 AM

Oct 2014
HOLY SHIT SANJI MY BOY SHOW THEM WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF!!
May 11, 2017 1:21 PM

Mar 2014
I realized that Sanji could be called "Whiteleg" during this arc.

Let's see how long Big Mom's flashback is going to be.

However...

BREAK NEXT WEEK!!!
May 11, 2017 1:27 PM
Oct 2013
ToG25thBaam said:
No idea why some people don't like the upcoming backstory.. is it because it's going to be "predictably sad"?

Most people don´t care about the drama that a Flashback of Big Mom could bring. The reason this chapter received critique is the fact that it cuts away from an already established conflict, instead of wrapping it up.

ToG25thBaam said:

I personally welcome it, main reason being I've always felt like Big Mam's character is very lacking.. even Pudding and Katakuri got far more character than her, and if she goes down without further depth, I'd be very disappointed just as I was with Doffy's executives. I expect the backstory to add more depth to her character, explain her bad blood with Elbaf, her relationship with the lady in the photo, and give us a preview to Elbaf. Some people also speculated that the huge tree in the middle of the city will be the Yggdrasil, so I'll be looking out for theories for that. P.S. it might also explain her motivation to unite all races in the world.. P.P.S. I don't see the backstory as it redeeming her sins, just like Doffy's, it'll only serve to add depth to her character, whether or not it "redeems" her, it's up to the viewers, but I wouldn't count on it.

You summed up all the reasons why a flashback for Big Mom is desireable and appreciated by most people including me, it´s just out of place, especially considering that Big Mom will not be defeated this arc 99,999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% and if that should happen we must reevaluate all the Yonkou and their powerlevels and put them below the admirals because that´s bullshit.

ToG25thBaam said:

Sanji is looking cool again.. For a long time now I haven't thought of "cool" to synonym with Sanji's character, so that's a cool thing. I want Sanji to knock Judge out though, I don't want cringey sappy dialogue between them, and I don't want them to reconcile. Ichiji looking cool as always, he's so calm, I wonder if he has an ace up his sleeve.

Sanji "looked" cool a few times in recent chapters, he just never suceeded in "doing" anything besides his dodging of Katakuri´s attack. Regardless of the flip flopping concesus on a chapter to chapter basis towards Sanji´s "coolness" I personally wouldn´t say that he ever "failed" from a character perspective. Because Sanji´s primarly role on the ship was that of the elegant, suave cook. He´s a multitalent whose fightning capabilities are only secondary. Since his introduction, he relied on Luffy to fight his battles. The concept of the Monster trio wrongfully shifted the expectations and Sanji fanboys further enhanced the factual misspresentaion of his power scaling by putting him on equal footing with Zorro, which was false. Sanji, while often depicted as being on the same level as Zorro, who is a pure fighter and has no further qualtiies, mostly competed equally when Zorro was in a weakened state. A deliberate misslead on Oda´s part in my opinion, although he hid th facts in plain sight.

Sanji received alot of character development this arc and the only annoying thing about it being the constant repetition. I rolled my eyes when Reiju just had to say "again" how Sanji´s kindness is his prime quality, after we´ve been spoonfed this information throughout the whole arc.
May 11, 2017 1:51 PM

Oct 2015
Great chapter. Honestly I did not expect that flashback. I've been wondering if Big Mom goes down, or no. Well, probably she won't go down without a fight, especially after we get this flashback. I am curious what's gonna happen in the flashback, but I'd still prefer the story to go on.

By the way, Bege has two of those poison darts. I just wonder if Oda decides to kill Reiju off by poisoning someone with one of the darts somehow, and she sucks the poison out of them, which would probably kill her. Just some random thought.
May 11, 2017 2:10 PM

Sep 2013
Luffy shows bg the picture and she screams and conqueror's haki the place :O
Elbaf now? we might not get a full arc about it then :(
May 11, 2017 3:04 PM

Jun 2011
Isterio said:
Most people don´t care about the drama that a Flashback of Big Mom could bring. The reason this chapter received critique is the fact that it cuts away from an already established conflict, instead of wrapping it up.
The same could've been said for the other arcs. From a writing standpoint, the transition into the backstory was not done badly at all, Big Mom saw the broken picture -> she broke down -> Capone getting ready to blast that big bitch -> Big Mom had a flashback thinking about Mother Carmel. I don't think it'll take more than 4 chapters to conclude the flashback anyway. I guess I can see now why people wouldn't want the backstory now.

Isterio said:
You summed up all the reasons why a flashback for Big Mom is desireable and appreciated by most people including me, it´s just out of place, especially considering that Big Mom will not be defeated this arc 99,999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% and if that should happen we must reevaluate all the Yonkou and their powerlevels and put them below the admirals because that´s bullshit.
I haven't thought that far, and I don't think Big Mom will fall this arc, but I don't think anything would change even if she does get defeated. In her normal state, nobody on the island could've harmed her, it just so happened she has this huge weakness.. Kaido and the other yonkou is at where I expect Big Mom to be, without the weakness. Just think of it like the Crocodile case, Crocodile was torching Luffy before Luffy discovered his weakness, but that doesn't make Crocodile weak.

Isterio said:
Sanji "looked" cool a few times in recent chapters, he just never suceeded in "doing" anything besides his dodging of Katakuri´s attack. Regardless of the flip flopping concesus on a chapter to chapter basis towards Sanji´s "coolness" I personally wouldn´t say that he ever "failed" from a character perspective. Because Sanji´s primarly role on the ship was that of the elegant, suave cook. He´s a multitalent whose fightning capabilities are only secondary. Since his introduction, he relied on Luffy to fight his battles. The concept of the Monster trio wrongfully shifted the expectations and Sanji fanboys further enhanced the factual misspresentaion of his power scaling by putting him on equal footing with Zorro, which was false. Sanji, while often depicted as being on the same level as Zorro, who is a pure fighter and has no further qualtiies, mostly competed equally when Zorro was in a weakened state. A deliberate misslead on Oda´s part in my opinion, although he hid th facts in plain sight.

Sanji received alot of character development this arc and the only annoying thing about it being the constant repetition. I rolled my eyes when Reiju just had to say "again" how Sanji´s kindness is his prime quality, after we´ve been spoonfed this information throughout the whole arc.
I know you emphasize on "look", and indeed Sanji dodging Katakuri was a cool moment, but it's followed up by Sanji comforting Pudding and whatnot and he didn't look cool then. I expect this cool moment for Sanji to last a bit longer, I need the Sanji with a tough heart back.

I myself don't expect Sanji to be on Zoro's level, imo it'd be unfair for Zoro who's been training for his whole life, but I just want Sanji to win man, he's even weaker than Jimbei right now imo. Even Oda shits on Sanji by giving Usopp a higher bounty.. -.-'

I don't mind the Reiju comment as much, yeah it's a repetition but I don't view it as Oda giving us information about Sanji, but rather it's a breathe of fresh air for Reiju when she has lived so long with her empathy-less brothers. I took that as "her last words" sort of before she gave herself in to die. Then of course, Sanji appears and save his family. The context makes him so much cooler.
May 11, 2017 3:56 PM

Jun 2008
Sanji standing on top of the table in front of his family looking cool as hell :D
May 11, 2017 5:07 PM
Oct 2013
ToG25thBaam said:
The same could've been said for the other arcs. From a writing standpoint, the transition into the backstory was not done badly at all, Big Mom saw the broken picture -> she broke down -> Capone getting ready to blast that big bitch -> Big Mom had a flashback thinking about Mother Carmel. I don't think it'll take more than 4 chapters to conclude the flashback anyway. I guess I can see now why people wouldn't want the backstory now.

From a structural standpoint it´s placed in the same spot, but other flashbacks, like that of Law or Robin were dedicated towards characters the audience was meant to identify with. Big Mom is a villain. with the sole purpose of being defeated to make the hero look good. If Oda wants to awake any sympathy from the readers from her than he failed, because he wrote nothing likeable about her in the present time. There is no moral ambiguity or flavor to her character. She´s a cartoony one dimensional character with defined, but one-sided characteristics.
Those characters can be very charismatic, if written into the right scenario, look no further than Frieza or Satan, but they´re defined by their inhumanity. If such a character is given human traits he becomes a paradox and loses his charm.
Doffy barely worked, because he started off as a cartoony piece of shit, was revealed to always have been a cartoony piece of shit and ended as a cartoony piece of shit.

ToG25thBaam said:

I haven't thought that far, and I don't think Big Mom will fall this arc, but I don't think anything would change even if she does get defeated. In her normal state, nobody on the island could've harmed her, it just so happened she has this huge weakness.. Kaido and the other yonkou is at where I expect Big Mom to be, without the weakness. Just think of it like the Crocodile case, Crocodile was torching Luffy before Luffy discovered his weakness, but that doesn't make Crocodile weak.

I´ll use videogame terms to explain this easier. Croco boy has nothing in common with the intended defeat of Big Mom. Crocodile was invulnerable before Luffy found out his weakness. He was the equialent of a Game Boss that you have to perform a certain task to render hitable. The Plan to defeat Big Mom on the other hand is akin to an established boss that taunted you since 1/3 of the game is
being killed during a cutscene. It´s middle finger towards the audience.
There is a world of difference between the two. One is simply more satisfying.

ToG25thBaam said:

I know you emphasize on "look", and indeed Sanji dodging Katakuri was a cool moment, but it's followed up by Sanji comforting Pudding and whatnot and he didn't look cool then. I expect this cool moment for Sanji to last a bit longer, I need the Sanji with a tough heart back.

I myself don't expect Sanji to be on Zoro's level, imo it'd be unfair for Zoro who's been training for his whole life, but I just want Sanji to win man, he's even weaker than Jimbei right now imo. Even Oda shits on Sanji by giving Usopp a higher bounty.. -.-'

See I do not think that Oda is shitting on Sanji. Ussop and his bounty is clearly meant to be taken as a joke, as we´ve seen that bounties are deceiving on multiple occasions. I´m actually all for Kid being down for the count. Not an Urouge fan, but I like the plottwist to remain consistent and Oda basicly confirming that he is indeed the stronger supernova. Simply because I don´t see why Luffy would need more rivals if Blackbeard is already set up and Akainu lurks on the horizon . But, back to Sanji. From my perspective Sanji never was "badass" but more the "smooth" type of cool. To give you an analogy in a situation where a princess would need rescue from a dragon Luffy and Zorro would go for the kill on the Dragon while Sanji would safe the princess. Two are monumental forces of nature born to fight & conquer, the other a natural talent that learned to handle himself because he was forced into a rough life.

This is reflected on multiple occasions in the Manga. Sanji is the first to get into the seatrain to save Robin on the risk of his life, at the same time Luffy and Zorro rip a whole into a giant Tsunami. Sanji joins Luffy´s crew out of admiration for his power. Zorro has to be blackmailed into joining him and saves his life when Morgan attempts to cut his careless head off. Then during the Arlong Arc Zorro wins injured against Hacchin and makes Arlong piss his pants during their fight with his display of tenacity, before a healthy Luffy finishes him off, that had to be saved by Sanji. Simply put, Sanji was never meant to be an amazing fighter, but rather a supportive soldier that has fighting qualities, which is reflected in his Haki affinity. Jinbe,probably is stronger than him just by the virtue of experience, but that´s not a bad thing. Sanji has other qualties going for him and no stranger to losing. Absalom did beat him pre timeskip, with the Nami handicap, but also despite his rage power up.

ToG25thBaam said:

I don't mind the Reiju comment as much, yeah it's a repetition but I don't view it as Oda giving us information about Sanji, but rather it's a breathe of fresh air for Reiju when she has lived so long with her empathy-less brothers. I took that as "her last words" sort of before she gave herself in to die. Then of course, Sanji appears and save his family. The context makes him so much cooler.

Well, yeath, but we already knew all of this when they had their sibling talk and he told her to get that stupid idea out of her head . As you mentioned Sanji had not a single win this arc. His "kindness" on the other hand is a horse that´s long beaten to death by now. It would make him cool, if he hadn´t announced it towards the audience and even to his sister who simply lives in denial at this point. He told her to leave and she stubbornly refused, which is cheap.
May 11, 2017 5:41 PM

Jan 2016
The panel with Sanji standing like a motherfucking boss in front of his father and siblings is so badass
May 11, 2017 8:14 PM
Apr 2017
TrashDax said:

It was not a battle but it was all out massacre
May 11, 2017 10:52 PM

Jun 2011
Isterio said:
From a structural standpoint it´s placed in the same spot, but other flashbacks, like that of Law or Robin were dedicated towards characters the audience was meant to identify with. Big Mom is a villain. with the sole purpose of being defeated to make the hero look good. If Oda wants to awake any sympathy from the readers from her than he failed, because he wrote nothing likeable about her in the present time. There is no moral ambiguity or flavor to her character. She´s a cartoony one dimensional character with defined, but one-sided characteristics.
Those characters can be very charismatic, if written into the right scenario, look no further than Frieza or Satan, but they´re defined by their inhumanity. If such a character is given human traits he becomes a paradox and loses his charm.
Doffy barely worked, because he started off as a cartoony piece of shit, was revealed to always have been a cartoony piece of shit and ended as a cartoony piece of shit.
Idk about you, but Doffy's backstory worked very well on me, pushed him to the top of my list of favorite character tbf, and Yonkou is on a different level than Doffy.. even if we're not meant to sympathize with her, she should be given enough depth as one of the rulers of the New World, the sea of hell. It will also work a lot better when it comes the time for the straw hats to finally take down the "big bitch" in the future, as he won't this arc imo. Look back at this arc in general, if there's no depth given to Big Mam, there's not a lot of takeaway for this arc as a whole, aside from the whole Vinsmoke conflict. The arc will feel "empty". The backstory will only make this arc better as a whole. And as it was with Doffy, yes, some people may feel like the purpose was to make the readers sympathize with Big Mam, but depends on the content of the flashback, I would probably view it as an explanation for all the weird stuffs that don't make sense with Big Mam, like her ambition, the weird animosity between her and the Giant tribe, something to add to her character and make all this makes sense.

Isterio said:
I´ll use videogame terms to explain this easier. Croco boy has nothing in common with the intended defeat of Big Mom. Crocodile was invulnerable before Luffy found out his weakness. He was the equialent of a Game Boss that you have to perform a certain task to render hitable. The Plan to defeat Big Mom on the other hand is akin to an established boss that taunted you since 1/3 of the game is
Yet there's no guarantee that she will be defeated in this arc. I believe we'll come back to Big Mam once Luffy get stronger, strong enough to take on a yonkou mano e mano. I don't believe that Big Mam would die from a heavy injury. Whitebeard suffered like what, 200 gunshots and 1000 stab wounds before he kick the bucket? A rocket launcher (3) in the face will most likely heavily injure the big girl but won't be enough to kill her. Katakuri, whom I believe is completely loyal to Big Mam will not abandon her.

Isterio said:
See I do not think that Oda is shitting on Sanji. Ussop and his bounty is clearly meant to be taken as a joke, as we´ve seen that bounties are deceiving on multiple occasions. I´m actually all for Kid being down for the count. Not an Urouge fan, but I like the plottwist to remain consistent and Oda basicly confirming that he is indeed the stronger supernova. Simply because I don´t see why Luffy would need more rivals if Blackbeard is already set up and Akainu lurks on the horizon . But, back to Sanji. From my perspective Sanji never was "badass" but more the "smooth" type of cool. To give you an analogy in a situation where a princess would need rescue from a dragon Luffy and Zorro would go for the kill on the Dragon while Sanji would safe the princess. Two are monumental forces of nature born to fight & conquer, the other a natural talent that learned to handle himself because he was forced into a rough life.

This is reflected on multiple occasions in the Manga. Sanji is the first to get into the seatrain to save Robin on the risk of his life, at the same time Luffy and Zorro rip a whole into a giant Tsunami. Sanji joins Luffy´s crew out of admiration for his power. Zorro has to be blackmailed into joining him and saves his life when Morgan attempts to cut his careless head off. Then during the Arlong Arc Zorro wins injured against Hacchin and makes Arlong piss his pants during their fight with his display of tenacity, before a healthy Luffy finishes him off, that had to be saved by Sanji. Simply put, Sanji was never meant to be an amazing fighter, but rather a supportive soldier that has fighting qualities, which is reflected in his Haki affinity. Jinbe,probably is stronger than him just by the virtue of experience, but that´s not a bad thing. Sanji has other qualties going for him and no stranger to losing. Absalom did beat him pre timeskip, with the Nami handicap, but also despite his rage power up.
Yeah it's a joke, but as the community would say, Sanji has not taken a W since the TS, even the one against Wadatsumi, he had to be paired up with Jimbei, the only straw hat to not solo a fishman executive. Remember moments back then, even when Sanji wasn't strong enough to take out the CP9, he still had cool moments where he did that spin kick thing and almost broke Blueno's tekkai? All the opponents he faced have been unfazed by him in a combat thus far, except for the fishman fodders. (and maybe Yonji/Nichiji(?) but it's not like they're big shot anyway, look at the recent chapter, only Ichiji has any hype left for him)

Even if you say that Sanji is more of a cool type, due to his traumatic experience back on that crossdresser island, he has now lost all control when he sees a beautiful lady. I believe this arc will put him back on track, I hope, after all, he rejected the marriage with Pudding for the straw hats.

Sanji has always meant to be the fighter on the straw hat crew. Not like Zoro whose main job is to fight, but he should be on of their best 3 members, he should be strong enough, at least to protect the rest of the crew in the absence of Luffy and Zoro. If Sanji is specialized in both Kenbunshoku haki and speed, why can't we have any good feats for Sanji, like him never getting injured? He's obviously not the tank type, why don't Oda give him more speed feats and make him dodge more? :/

I mean, let's be real here.. just sympathize a bit with the Sanji fans for a second lol does he even have any fans left now They used to think that Sanji's closer to Zoro than Zoro is to Luffy. Sanji takes a lot of Ls for the team, it's for the team but it's still L's. His L streak is even worse than Usopp. On the other hand, Zoro's feat just keep stacking up. (KOL don't even talk much about Sanji no more lol)

Isterio said:
Well, yeath, but we already knew all of this when they had their sibling talk and he told her to get that stupid idea out of her head . As you mentioned Sanji had not a single win this arc. His "kindness" on the other hand is a horse that´s long beaten to death by now. It would make him cool, if he hadn´t announced it towards the audience and even to his sister who simply lives in denial at this point. He told her to leave and she stubbornly refused, which is cheap.
First bold : pretty much my entire point! Cmon Oda, the Sanji fandom & me are waiting!
Second bold : Don't think it's cheap, just like the Ace situation, both stubborn as hell and just do things their own way. Selfish? Yeah, but it;s her way of redemption.

DEVILKILLER1234 said:
TrashDax said:

It was not a battle but it was all out massacre
The chaos reminds me a lot of the marineford war, on a smaller scale. Can't imagine how epic the final war will be.
May 12, 2017 8:56 AM

Jun 2013
...Damn this gets Awesome...damn break tough....Big Mon Past coming right up...And It IS IN ELBAF!? NICE!!! not going to feel any pity or anything that kind towards her tough...she is Bitch...what ever is her background....she won't die tough I think....something is going to ruin Bege's plan I think.

DAMN Sanji's stand over his Blood Family was awesome scene! XD And Reiju's smile...X3 I am in Love! She is best of that Family along with Sanji
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
May 12, 2017 1:34 PM

May 2015
Isterio said:

From a structural standpoint it´s placed in the same spot,

This is a transitional chapter, things very commonplace in manga, especially weekly series. I'm fine with nothing happening

but other flashbacks, like that of Law or Robin were dedicated towards characters the audience was meant to identify with.

He was a rich, noble piece of shit, not the mass murdering psychopath he became.
There's a difference.

Most antagonist and One Piece are either cartoonlishy evil, or not evil at all. Maybe besides like..Akainu?

I agree with you, giving a flashback in the middle of an antagonist's defeat is inane.

Which is why Big Mom isn't going to be defeated.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
May 12, 2017 1:43 PM
Oct 2013
ashfrliebert said:
Isterio said:

From a structural standpoint it´s placed in the same spot,

This is a transitional chapter, things very commonplace in manga, especially weekly series. I'm fine with nothing happening

but other flashbacks, like that of Law or Robin were dedicated towards characters the audience was meant to identify with.

He was a rich, noble piece of shit, not the mass murdering psychopath he became.
There's a difference.

Most antagonist and One Piece are either cartoonlishy evil, or not evil at all. Maybe besides like..Akainu?

I agree with you, giving a flashback in the middle of an antagonist's defeat is inane.

Which is why Big Mom isn't going to be defeated.

To be honest Akainu has the potential to be an interesting character. I wouldn´t mind a flashback about him as we aren´t given any reasons for his totalitarian wolrdview, but given Oda´s trackrecord he may as well be that way because of his code of honor. Similar to Kisame from Naruto, who I considered a boring personality.

As you pointed out. Doffy was rich and that privilege was stripped away from him. The flashback didn´t add anything else. The reason I hate the character. Crocodile was the perfect execution of the evil villain in One Piece and the fact that Doffy basicly imitated him in every sense is lazy bullshit.
IsterioMay 12, 2017 1:56 PM
May 13, 2017 2:51 AM
Dec 2015
I can't wait for the next chapter (very excited)
May 13, 2017 3:07 AM

Jun 2008
I wonder if this fight will mean the fall of big mom. The flashback may make some think so but i have the feeling Big mom will lose her life at some other moment.
Maybe not even on screen by some other Yonkou after being weakened and hurt from this or something.

May 13, 2017 11:11 PM

Jul 2014
Sanji looked so badass!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veronin - Nov 1, 2009

73 by crumb_fr »»
Yesterday, 3:52 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1112 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16

31 by Pakumen- »»
Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1102 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mei-o_Scarlett - Dec 17, 2023

87 by Slimdudejim »»
Apr 21, 10:46 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 769 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Maerow - Nov 26, 2014

67 by KoniginElle »»
Apr 21, 6:47 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1069 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Dec 6, 2022

86 by Kakuneon »»
Apr 17, 11:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.