Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 10, 2017 3:22 AM

Apr 2017
Hoping for someone to point me in the right direction for my next SMT game.

I've played P3 FES, P4G,P5, Digital Devil Saga 1, Devil survivor 2

Started SMT 4 but had to sell my 3ds (gonna pick up a 2ds and this game eventually)

I also started P2 innocent sin but stopped because P5 was about to release and didn't wanna get burnt out of the series. I did enjoy it but I'm gonna stay away from the persona series for a while.

Not a big fan of 1st person dungeon crawlers but I suppose I'd try one.

Anyway if you made it through that mess of a post and can suggest a game that I didn't mention I would appreciate it.

P.S I hope I'm not wrong in assuming there are a decent number of SMT fans on an anime forum.
JNeumsMay 15, 2017 12:40 AM
May 10, 2017 6:37 PM

Sep 2012
very disappointed at the plebiness of no other replies in a smt thread.

there's a chart about the order people recommend you play them in, but it's bs tbh.
doesn't really matter at all.

digital devil saga is amazing if you want a unique atmosphere from other rpgs.
devil survivor for an underrated best girl
soul hackers if you can get past the dated-ness. i didn't mind it, but your mileage may vary.

you should get back to nocturne though. very special game.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

May 10, 2017 7:50 PM

Jan 2013
Once you get your 2DS I'd say check out both SMT4 then SMT4: Final.

Some good story telling with solid turn based combat. It also has an awesome OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6cSbof7Pik
May 10, 2017 9:12 PM

Apr 2017
Major123 said:
Once you get your 2DS I'd say check out both SMT4 then SMT4: Final.

Some good story telling with solid turn based combat. It also has an awesome OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6cSbof7Pik

That's the plan. Someone owes me 100$ which just happens to be the combined cost of a 2DS and SMT 4. So hopefully i get paid soon.
May 10, 2017 9:18 PM

Apr 2017
Yomiyuki said:

there's a chart about the order people recommend you play them in, but it's bs tbh.

soul hackers if you can get past the dated-ness. i didn't mind it, but your mileage may vary.

I will get back to nocturne eventually. Still I can't help but be pissed off for wasting so much time. I was definitely enjoying it up to that point though.

May 10, 2017 9:36 PM

Dec 2007
I'm a Persona fan, but I really consider myself a rookie in MT. Is there an MT/SMT game as addicting as Persona from your experience? Let it be really old or whatever. The keywords are super addicting.
May 10, 2017 9:39 PM

Jul 2016
If you are going to get a 3DS wait a little and get SMT: Deep Strange Journey, the original was pretty good. Also Devil Survivor: Overclocked.

If you have a LOT of free time you should play the Digital Devil Saga, but inmediatly after finishing the first game you should go to the second one. They are like a full game split into two.
May 11, 2017 2:44 AM

Apr 2017
SilverDio said:
If you are going to get a 3DS wait a little and get SMT: Deep Strange Journey, the original was pretty good. Also Devil Survivor: Overclocked.

If you have a LOT of free time you should play the Digital Devil Saga, but inmediatly after finishing the first game you should go to the second one. They are like a full game split into two.

I was actually thinking about strange journey unitill I heard of the remake.
May 11, 2017 2:45 AM

Apr 2017
I just finished P3 FES The Journey. I heard The Answer sucks so I might skip it.
All I can say is I don't know if I loved the ending or hated it.
May 11, 2017 2:50 AM

Apr 2017
DeadIEnd said:
I'm a Persona fan, but I really consider myself a rookie in MT. Is there an MT/SMT game as addicting as Persona from your experience? Let it be really old or whatever. The keywords are super addicting.

I would say the easiest transition from the P3/4 would be to play the P2 duology. Haven't finished it myself but if SMT elitists enjoy a persona game there must be something to it.

My first SMT game that wasn't P4G was Devil survivor 2. It has some of the social elements of Persona, some of the darker elements of the SMT main series. It's also an SRPG mixed the the SMT combat system. Also has an anime that is horrible haha.
May 11, 2017 3:04 AM

Apr 2017
Yomiyuki said:

Decided on digital devil saga. Was a bit hesitant when I learned there wasn't demon collecting but right now I need something to distract me from the feels of the P3 ending.
May 11, 2017 6:58 AM

May 2010
I don't keep track of everything 24/7.

Digital Devil Saga may not have you recruiting demons, but there still is a collection of sorts. Your characters literally eat demons in order to gain new skills. It'll be a collectathon of demon skills, rather than the demons themselves.
May 11, 2017 3:11 PM

Apr 2017
Thrashinuva said:

Digital Devil Saga may not have you recruiting demons, but there still is a collection of sorts. Your characters literally eat demons in order to gain new skills. It'll be a collectathon of demon skills, rather than the demons themselves.

I'm about 2 hours into it so far. It runs a lot better on the PS2 emulator than P3 FES did.
May 11, 2017 4:59 PM

Sep 2012
JNeums said:
Thrashinuva said:

I'm about 2 hours into it so far. It runs a lot better on the PS2 emulator than P3 FES did.

>>>>>>>emulator

Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

May 11, 2017 6:55 PM

Apr 2017
Yomiyuki said:
JNeums said:

>>>>>>>emulator

Don't have an old TV. So PS2 games look horribly pixelated.
May 15, 2017 12:37 AM

Apr 2017
Well I finished Digital Devil Saga 1. I decided to check on my Nocturne save before deciding on what to play next. Apparently it fixed itself so that's cool. Not really sure why though. I had tried restarting the game a bunch and it never worked before.
So I'll be playing that one next.
May 15, 2017 1:59 AM

Sep 2012
JNeums said:
Well I finished Digital Devil Saga 1. I decided to check on my Nocturne save before deciding on what to play next. Apparently it fixed itself so that's cool. Not really sure why though. I had tried restarting the game a bunch and it never worked before.

what did you think of dds?

Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

May 15, 2017 4:04 AM

Apr 2017
Yomiyuki said:
JNeums said:

The story was interesting but I wish it was expanded upon, had some cool dungeons, was a bit grindy at parts. Bosses went from crushingly hard to 'oh I just needed to use this ability.' I'm no masochist gamer so that's fine with me.
It seemed to end at what should have been a half way point, which I guess it technically is. I heard in DDS 2 they stop foreshadowing and being vague and it get's really good.
Gonna wait on that and finish nocturne, It's starting to get a lot more interesting. Than it's on to SMT 4.
I'm not usually able to play so many games in the same series in a row, especially long ones.
The final boss and it's music were awesome though.
JNeumsMay 15, 2017 4:35 AM
May 15, 2017 11:14 AM

Sep 2012
JNeums said:
Yomiyuki said:

The story was interesting but I wish it was expanded upon, had some cool dungeons, was a bit grindy at parts. Bosses went from crushingly hard to 'oh I just needed to use this ability.' I'm no masochist gamer so that's fine with me.
It seemed to end at what should have been a half way point, which I guess it technically is. I heard in DDS 2 they stop foreshadowing and being vague and it get's really good.
Gonna wait on that and finish nocturne, It's starting to get a lot more interesting. Than it's on to SMT 4.
I'm not usually able to play so many games in the same series in a row, especially long ones.

i have the same problem. i had to stop replaying p4 before p5 came out. id suggest playing devil survivor after you finish nocturne. its battle system is differemt, and has its own charm to it which will probably help you not get burned out on smt games.

Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

May 15, 2017 2:06 PM

Apr 2017
Yomiyuki said:
JNeums said:

i have the same problem. i had to stop replaying p4 before p5 came out. id suggest playing devil survivor after you finish nocturne. its battle system is differemt, and has its own charm to it which will probably help you not get burned out on smt games.

Yeah so far I haven't had any burn out issues even though I spent 85 hours on P5, 55 on P3 FES, and like 25 on DDS, and now like 11 on Nocturne. I kinda regret dropping P2 innocent sin. I only did to avoid burn out.
May 15, 2017 2:47 PM

May 2014
I really recommend SMT1. The gameplay is bad, but the story is very well done.
Devil Survivor 1 is also a great game. The game also has one of the most difficult boss in the franchise if you're interested in those type of thing.

Oh, and don't forget Jack Bros :p
May 15, 2017 9:02 PM

Apr 2017
Kisaragi said:
I really recommend SMT1. The gameplay is bad, but the story is very well done.
Devil Survivor 1 is also a great game. The game also has one of the most difficult boss in the franchise if you're interested in those type of thing.

Oh, and don't forget Jack Bros :p

I tried smt 1, couldn't get into it. It's not that I won't play SNES games either.
AS for devil survior, I plan on picking it up after I get a 2DS and SMT 4. Not sure if I'll get SMT 4 Apocalypse before it though.

I just learned about jack bro's yesterday. I was surprsied there is an SMT spinoff on a console with like 10 games. IT looks really bad though lol.
May 16, 2017 7:53 AM
Apr 2011
I've wondered about that myself. Not counting the Persona games, I have the original SMT (iTunes), all SMT games on DS, Soul Hackers, SMT, and Overclocked.
May 16, 2017 9:25 AM

Apr 2017
Ichilicious said:
I've wondered about that myself. Not counting the Persona games, I have the original SMT (iTunes), all SMT games on DS, Soul Hackers, SMT, and Overclocked.

What have you wondered?
May 16, 2017 9:27 AM
Apr 2011
JNeums said:
What have you wondered?

The order I should play the SMT games. And what games I don't already have.
May 16, 2017 9:27 AM
Mar 2011
JNeums said:

Started SMT 4 but had to sell my 3ds (gonna pick up a 2ds and this game eventually)

I also started P2 innocent sin but stopped because P5 was about to release and didn't wanna get burnt out of the series. I did enjoy it but I'm gonna stay away from the persona series for a while.

Anyway if you made it through that mess of a post and can suggest a game that I didn't mention I would appreciate it.

P.S I hope I'm not wrong in assuming there are a decent number of SMT fans on an anime forum.

persona is not part of SMT franchise that faucked up the ass westen marketing fo you

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 16, 2017 9:41 AM
Apr 2011
Personally, I'd like to see remakes of the older SMT games. It may reignite my passion for SMT.
May 16, 2017 9:50 AM

Apr 2017
Ichilicious said:
JNeums said:
What have you wondered?

The order I should play the SMT games. And what games I don't already have.

Oh my bad. Well if you haven't tried SMT 3 nocturne I would go there. I'm not finished myself but it seems to be most SMT fans favorite. I'm loving it so far.
May 16, 2017 9:53 AM

Apr 2017
DateYutaka said:
JNeums said:

persona is not part of SMT franchise that faucked up the ass westen marketing fo you

They use the same demons so I'll call it a spin-off.
May 16, 2017 9:54 AM
Apr 2011
JNeums said:
Oh my bad. Well if you haven't tried SMT 3 nocturne I would go there. I'm not finished myself but it seems to be most SMT fans favorite. I'm loving it so far.

I'll jot that down and see if it's on PSN. Otherwise I'd gonna have to track down a physical copy.
May 16, 2017 9:57 AM

Apr 2017
Ichilicious said:
JNeums said:

I'll jot that down and see if it's on PSN. Otherwise I'd gonna have to track down a physical copy.

Pretty sure it's on PS3s psn. I'm playing it on an emulator although I do have a physical version.
It's nice to be able to upscale it to 1080p.
May 16, 2017 10:09 AM
Apr 2011
JNeums said:
Pretty sure it's on PS3s psn. I'm playing it on an emulator although I do have a physical version.

Found it! :D Now I just have to buy a PSN card.
May 16, 2017 10:12 AM

Apr 2017
Ichilicious said:
JNeums said:

Found it! :D Now I just have to buy a PSN card.

Cool, I'd use google to look up if it runs well on ps3. I've heard some ps2 games don't work the best on ps3.
May 16, 2017 4:45 PM

Feb 2010
If you
JNeums said:
Yomiyuki said:

You will really like DDS2 then.

Digital Devil Saga definitely has the best story in the SMT franchise imo, and even if it doesn't have demons the gameplay is pretty nice, the mantra grid is kinda cool.
May 16, 2017 10:33 PM

Apr 2017
Vanisher said:
If you
JNeums said:

Digital Devil Saga definitely has the best story in the SMT franchise imo, and even if it doesn't have demons the gameplay is pretty nice, the mantra grid is kinda cool.

I hope so. DDS 1 seemed like it had a lot of pontential and it just never really did much.
Vanisher said:
If you
JNeums said:

I hope so, DDS 1 had a lot of potential story wise and never really expanded on anything all that much. The plot twists are so greatly foreshadowed that by the time they happen I already basically knew.
May 17, 2017 11:01 AM
Apr 2011
JNeums said:
Cool, I'd use google to look up if it runs well on ps3. I've heard some ps2 games don't work the best on ps3.

I bought it. And it plays fairly well, so I think you'd like it.
May 17, 2017 5:36 PM

Apr 2017
Ichilicious said:
JNeums said:

I bought it. And it plays fairly well, so I think you'd like it.

Already like 25 hours in on an emulator. Plus I have it on ps2 already. Thanks though.
May 19, 2017 9:26 AM
Apr 2011
JNeums said:
Already like 25 hours in on an emulator. Plus I have it on ps2 already. Thanks though.

No problem. How are you liking the game so far?
May 19, 2017 9:31 AM

Aug 2014
DDS, Nocturne, and Raidou games are the best ones. Strange Journey and Soul Hackers are good too, if you want to give the first person games another chance. The rest are alright. Most of the newer games have better battle mechanics but shitty lazy ass dungeons.
Sieg Zeon!
May 20, 2017 1:14 AM

Apr 2017
Ichilicious said:
JNeums said:

No problem. How are you liking the game so far?

Some of the dungeons overstay their welcome, other than that I'm really enjoying it.
Dec 20, 2021 12:21 PM
Dec 2017
devil survivor overclocked is my fav.

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
1 hour ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
8 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
8 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Today

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
8 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.