Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 20, 2010 11:59 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
WOW! I didn't think a movie could be that bad, especially based off a series that good! so that's why the popularity was 48 or something and yet it's ranked over 2000! I don't think they could have made Saya uglier if they tried!!!
Feb 25, 2010 9:04 AM
Oct 2008
3 out of 5: It was OK (your vote)

I guess it was ok since I've read the manga and was kinda =_= nevermind. the graphic part isn't so good and yep ->>
iday12 said:
I don't think they could have made Saya uglier if they tried!!!

^_^ =)) Well I gave this 7 though; it could change though so... ^_^"
Apr 13, 2010 6:31 PM

Jan 2008
I thought it was a solid 7. Production IG's action scenes were of course fantastic. Top notch vid quality.
May 25, 2010 10:00 AM

Dec 2009
It was kinda boring , the action scenes weren't as exciting as i tought they'll be .
Why the F* didn't this ugly version of Saya kill the stupid crybaby doctor( who fainted at every 5 minutes ) >.> ?
Jul 1, 2010 3:54 PM

Apr 2009
I don't get why people don't like this movie and this is ranked so low.

Personally, I found this movie to be very enjoyable. I found the graphics to be good and liked the action scenes; I wasn't bored watching this for but a minute. I also found this one of the best anime movies I've seen to date, and it got a solid 8 from me for it.
Jul 29, 2010 10:35 AM

Jul 2009
Wow, that was bad.
I didn't like the western look of the characters... Saya has some bad di*k sucking lips in this movie, and it looks damn ugly. Demons were epicly stupid... I'm never gonna understand why did that demon which sneaked in the ballroom try to kidnap the nurse instead of simply slaughtering anyone and everyone there. :I
When it comes to the visual side of the anime, I liked the art a lot, but the over usage of CGI and the scene at the ball where they drew all the people by simply c/p-ing 3 different models made me facepalm.
Aug 30, 2010 1:13 PM

Jul 2010
This movie was very bad .. and Saya was very ugly.
The anime is the best
Sep 8, 2010 5:28 PM

Mar 2010
it sucked!
i loved the anime tho <3

Oct 11, 2010 6:06 PM
Dec 2009
This movie was horrible.. The only interessing parts were when we saw that she doesn´t like god, that old picture and the fact that she's the only remaining original vampire. But she didn´t have any special powers.. Her blood didn´t even do anything special (exept when she let it drip in the beasts mouth, I'm not sure if that's what killed it..). But any soldier could have done that..!
Oct 19, 2010 7:51 AM

Aug 2009
A nice example of copying the western movies. I am not saying it like it is something bad, furthermore more it turned out pretty well. Eyecandy? There's all you can wish for (and we are talking about 00!). Atmosphere? At a highest level as well, mainly thanks to the great sound work and wonderful soundtrack by Yoshihiro Ike that keeps the tense till the end. The english speech was a little trite sometimes, all these "-oh, fuck!", "-You can not leave now!", in addition to the strange accent. Well whatever, it was even funny a bit.
Somewhy I was getting allusions with Kara no Kyoukai, maybe because of the similar grim tones and mystery.
For me, it did the main task - intrigued with its plot, and drawn my attention the franchise. 8/10
Nov 10, 2010 1:28 AM
Sep 2008
More like Saya the Chiroptera Slayer amirite?

Joking aside, I greatly enjoyed this movie. Action was awesome and though the story was pretty basic it genuinely kept me interested the entire way through.
Nov 21, 2010 10:49 PM

Oct 2010
I thought he movie was great.
The animations where much better than the anime, even saya was fugly.
The story was not meant to tell you everything, just what you needed to know (putting you in the situation of the doctor, confuse). I liked it much more than any ep in the anime by far.
huh?
Dec 20, 2010 1:43 PM

Feb 2009
Let me see.

* It didn't properly follow up the original storyline
(reffering to the way of killing the critters ect..)
* The voices where half English (unlike the original)
* The drawing style was more american then japanese FUGLYYY
* Saya's character was water'd down (nowhere in hell the original would react that way)

A.K.A
It wasn't halfbad if it where a stand alone movie but as a blood+ movie it SUCKED
ArcanDec 21, 2010 8:44 AM
Dec 26, 2010 10:32 PM

Jun 2008
Simply not good.

Blood+ was so amazing & this was sadly not.

Saya looked horrible. The rest of the artwork was some of the worse I've seen. I HATE anime artwork when it looks hand draw but computer animated at the same time. One of my biggest pet peeves.

The English voices were pathetic & the Japanese wasn't very good either.

I use to hear very positive reviews about this movie but I definitely wasn't impressed. Seems like everybody else here hated it also.

6/10 for me...just being nice & not basing it off of Blood+
Feb 24, 2011 11:32 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
5/10 ... live action movie 5/10 also´xD

Well if watch it by ignoring what was in blood+ .. which was 8/10 xD
Mar 10, 2011 3:19 PM
Mar 2011
Why is everyone comparing to Blood+ when this came out first?
May 31, 2011 11:33 PM

Oct 2008
Decent watch..

I can't compare this to the anime series though since I haven't watched it yet.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 6, 2011 2:32 PM

Apr 2007
Damn the animation was crazy detailed. Now this is something you watch on Halloween.

I thought the movie was great. It turned out to be what I expected: the basics of what later created Blood+. The bad part is there were hardly any explanations, you're left to try and understand things on your own. Makes me glad I watched Blood+ first to make it easier. The characters were also rather plain, but with only 40-some minutes you can't really expect much.

And am I the only one who didn't think Saya looked ugly? She just looked more badass to me.
MonochromeJun 6, 2011 2:41 PM
Jul 2, 2011 5:33 AM

Aug 2009
I thought it was great. The animation was absolutely stunning, especially for an anime from 2000.

Everyone who's comparing this to Blood+ is an absolute idiot.
Jul 14, 2011 2:05 AM

Nov 2008
Great movie. Animation was superb, as well as the flow of the movie.
STM said:

Everyone who's comparing this to Blood+ is an absolute idiot.

Agreed.
Aug 20, 2011 10:05 PM

May 2007
emulatedFreedoms said:

I was actually asking the very same thing. This was the worst of all though:

Arcan said:
Let me see.

* Saya's character was water'd down (nowhere in hell the original would react that way)

A.K.A
It wasn't halfbad if it where a stand alone movie but as a blood+ movie it SUCKED

For some reason, this user seems to think that Blood+ is the original storyline and is trashing Blood: The last vampire because it didn't follow Blood+ plot? I'm speechless, really.
Sep 20, 2011 1:03 PM

Feb 2010
NeoFireHawk said:
emulatedFreedoms said:

Arcan said:
Let me see.

A.K.A

For some reason, this user seems to think that Blood+ is the original storyline and is trashing Blood: The last vampire because it didn't follow Blood+ plot? I'm speechless, really.

U pointed this out very nicely well done
Sheepshaman.png
Sep 22, 2011 3:58 AM

Aug 2010
Meh.
Dec 17, 2011 3:27 AM
Sep 2011
I'm astounded about all the negative receptions on here. In my opinion this was a well produced and enjoyable movie with good direction and impressive action.

I also really liked the realistic character designs but I can see why people might have found it unattractive since it looks quite raw and the females don't have eyes that plaster their whole face.

Also, I would advise not to compare the different versions of the Blood franchise as they are really different especially regarding the characters and it would be a pity to be let down by any of them just because of false expectations.
Jan 5, 2012 11:09 AM
Jan 2012
Lol, I see a LOT of misinformation here! Blood: The Last Vampire came out BEFORE Blood+! I've also read a review by one of the user where he stated that the story takes place in AMERICA (when it's actually in Okinawa).
Also, there is a lot of background information and plot in this movie, it's just not clearly stated. You have to pay attention to all the little details. I think that's what makes this movie great too.

I watched Blood The Last Vampire first (as I like to watch/read/play things in chronologic order) and I wasn't disappointed! 48 minutes of great action and mesmerizing climate.
May 28, 2012 12:14 PM

Jul 2011
Im really confused O.O I dint really understand anythink in the movie, why the hell did it end with a departure for Vietnam??? It was good, yeah but it shold have been longer and not tht much confuseing. Its Production IG after all, the animation was at good level but the plot could have been a LOT better.
gave it 7/10 too complicated plot but good battles :I
Jun 8, 2012 10:41 AM

Apr 2012
For what it's worth, this brief and to-the-point vampire-killing film did succeed in creating some suspenseful and frightening action scenes, even though it easily falls apart as a story. The character designs of the demons were truly harrowing and alien, reminiscent of John Carpenter's shape-shifting monster in "The Thing", and I loved the meticulously detailed backgrounds and lighting throughout. Some of the scenes leading up to the action were fiercely determined in their direction, and I loved that almost the entire movie took place under the cover of darkness, heightening the paranoia and suspense. Sadly, a lot of weird character actions plague the plot, such as Saya's decision to attack the demon during the Halloween dance, even though we're told explicitly that the world must never be informed of the creatures' existence. On that note, why was the teacher left to her own devices after the fray, with no consequences except a superficial interrogation by some military suits (who even show her an eerie picture of Saya that should be classified)? Lastly, framing this film during the build-up to the Vietnam War seemed utterly pointless: it could have taken place during the Gulf War or the Iraq War and it would've been the exact same story. Overall, a decent and pleasant-looking vampire rumble; and short too, probably to the its advantage.
"Truth can always be found deep in the dungeon."
~ Balmung of the Azure Sky
Sep 4, 2012 6:02 PM

Oct 2010
i liked it, WHAT WAS WITH THAT ENDING, WHY IS SHE FEEDING THAT MONSTER HER BLOOD!?!
Nov 29, 2012 11:50 AM
Jun 2012
shit movie
Jan 11, 2013 1:31 PM
Nov 2009
The story isn't much to write home about, but there's enough of it for the audience to understand what's going on. The real highlight of this movie are the visuals and animation. Excellent digital composition,and the action scenes are great.
Aug 1, 2013 6:25 AM

Nov 2010
The movie wasn't bad considering it was from 2000
Nice action, horror and plenty gore
Actually it's more like a OVA/half movie looking at the length

It still feels incomplete, but watching Blood+ might help at around episode 14+
Feb 27, 2014 9:16 AM
May 2013
isshou said:
Apr 14, 2014 3:55 PM

Jul 2012
I loved the use of audio and the dual languages in this movie. I also liked the horror/suspense elements and the action was pretty good too. The plot was not really there, but I enjoyed that because it left a lot of questions for the viewer's imagination to interpret. Overall, Blood: The Last Vampire is a solid movie.

Rating: 9/10
May 24, 2014 9:33 PM

Nov 2011
NeoFireHawk said:
emulatedFreedoms said:

Arcan said:
Let me see.

A.K.A

Thanks for pointing all of this out so quickly. I'm surprised at all the negative reactions, smh.

I gave it a 7/10 simply because the plot was a little too vague for my liking and I wasn't as frightened as I was hoping a horror movie would make me be. However, I was still captivated by the atmosphere (incredibly thorough with the help of the soundtrack and muted color palette) and the top-notch animation.

And calling the western-style art fugly? Are you serious? I praise this movie for it's experimentation. We can just turn that argument around and call the highly stylized artwork of anime unrealistic and bug-like (referring to the disproportionate eyes and tiny mouths and non-existent noses prevalent in mainstream anime) that does turn off a huge audience. Of course, I like regular anime styles but I also take offense as an artist when people degrade a more realistic approach. Saya was intense - her character design worked well with the movie. And complaining about 2D and 3D animation mixed together? If you haven't realized yet, many of our classics also combine traditional hand-drawn with computer-generated imagery. Well, I wouldn't be surprised if watching "Lion King" or "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" or something similar makes you cringe. Shame on you.

Even with the "not completely satisfactory" plot, I like how it left us confused and in a similar state as the nurse. The references to the war in Vietnam was not fully developed, but at least leads viewers to anticipate Blood+

So sorry if I happened to offend anyone out there. I did enjoy the movie even if I didn't love it. I ranted simply because I was annoyed at the unwillingness to be open to different styles and outright ignorance that I saw in this forum =/
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
May 25, 2014 9:23 PM

Dec 2013
That movie kick ass. I love this movie so, so fuckin' much.

Saya is cold-blood assassin, dark and amazing.
What is always hurts me it's time of this production, only 40 mins?!
Remember, this is not comparing with Blood+.

Amazing animation, beautiful music and good story, what more?
Nov 1, 2014 7:50 PM

Apr 2012
'Twas OK. Kinda pointless really. There are monsters, butchy botox kills them.
Nov 3, 2014 6:56 PM

Mar 2014
Most of the people hating on this film in this tread just don't like it because the art style isn't the same as it is in Blood+
Well, guess what, I prefer this kind of art style over that, and the animation is also better.

I also find it really funny that people call this "western art style", when most anime used to look a lot like this.

The story is perhaps a bit simple, but I thought the overall directing and presentation of the story was fantastic, which is something I always appreciate more than some complex tale.

Also, the animation is simply gorgeous. I look at this and wonder why modern OVA took digital animation down a different, more simplistic route, when this is a clear example of just how powerful of a tool it can be.
I would REALLY love to see more anime done in this style, there really isn't enough of this kind of art nowadays.
vigorousjammerNov 3, 2014 7:03 PM
::End of Transmission::

Nov 5, 2014 10:12 PM

Jul 2013
I guess people that like cliched shitty American horror movies can enjoy this but if you are not into that sort of thing then this film isn't for you. Poorly written schlock that doesn't even offer decent action.
Jan 4, 2015 1:45 PM

May 2012
Splendid visuals! I watched Blood+ & Blood C without knowing those were spin-offs, but they reminded me instantly of this movie.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
"If people get upset because of my level of English they are an evil person who probably tortures kittens in their spare time!"
Feb 27, 2015 9:05 PM

Nov 2014
I haven't seen Blood+ and I still thought this movie was shit.

I try to be as objective as I can when reviewing an anime, and I found very few redeeming qualities in this movie. The English voice acting and dialog made my ears bleed. Saya's personality = perpetually angry. I wasn't expecting deep characters in a 48 minute movie, but I was expecting a decent story and action, which it didn't have. The "amazing visuals" weren't all that amazing. The animation was better than average for an anime, but I wasn't impressed by the color scheme, ugly character designs, and overall aesthetic. Jin-Roh, also by Production I.G., looks much better.

2/10
Mar 5, 2015 6:35 PM

Oct 2013
Never been a big fan of cgi and this didn't change anything, apart from that the story telling, art/animation and characters were all meh.

Don't even make me start talking about the voice acting.

May 28, 2015 10:53 PM
Sep 2013
Wow, I'm super confused too - mostly by the people saying that this was a fantastic movie. The animation was quite nice, sure, but I'm so confused because I felt like...there was no character development of Saya. It very much felt like the first episode of an anime as opposed to a stand alone movie. The severe lack of character development I think is what's really confusing me the most about this movie. It just felt like a bunch of pointless, random action scenes that seemingly served no purpose because we never learned more about Saya, her thoughts, any other extent of her mission beyond the fact that she has to kill the chiropterans. For example, is she killing them to protect humans? You could wonder that, but then you take into account at the beginning she has killed a regular human being for no apparent reason. So then the question becomes why does she do all this? Then there's that thing at the end where her blood is dripping onto the chiropteran which looks to be on purpose.

I feel like there are a million things in the movie that you could link together and potentially theorize about, but it's confusing/frustrating because there seems to be just no way to definitely connect events and ideas and make solid theories and explanations because everything just seems so goddamn vague to me. I don't mind action anime and I love seeing a girl kick ass, don't get me wrong, but there needs to be some substantial character development behind that. The plot *could* be fine enough on it's own but this whole movie feels like I walked into the theater 15 minutes late, then left 15 minutes early.
Aug 10, 2015 6:28 AM
Apr 2011
Bad not more not less

4/10
Jan 10, 2016 4:37 AM

Dec 2007
Wow at the amount of negative reactions.

I liked the movie, the character design was great in my opinion (times better than most huge sparkly eyes moes and tsunderes whatever shit comes out recently) , it had good soundtrack and good English. It didn't explain much but it doesn't bother me really.

I just wish the annoying screaming and fainting every 5 min nurse died in the very beginning. Oh did she make me want to kill her myself!

7/10 from me...I think I do prefer older anime design and stories from when anime wasn't identical school life stories, harems and moe and tsundere wasn't a necessary part of almost every anime.
Mar 29, 2016 8:33 PM

Oct 2011
Wow i'm really surprise to see the comments here. Looks like the Moe virus in anime industries really hit us hard..
And here i am admiring the artwork, it remind me of kill bill anime scene which is done by P.IG also.
May 24, 2016 12:41 PM

Mar 2012
Having to take into account this is 16 years old, it really wasn't all that bad. All in all, was a decent movie to watch.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Aug 10, 2016 5:23 AM
Apr 2016
Without reading any source material, it was a pretty enjoyable watch. Can people critique the anime stand alone? Giving anime watchers the wrong idea of the anime because you consumed the source material first. Its better than the reception its been getting on here. Also for something made in 2000, the animation is very well done. I wouldn't of guessed it was so old.
Oct 28, 2016 2:09 AM

Nov 2013
The production value was good if not great especially the art. But everything else is rushed and average.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Apr 12, 2017 8:07 AM

Jan 2017
Zarnaav said:
isshou said:

She is not supposed to be moe in a thriller movie.
Contemporary0091Feb 21, 2018 1:58 PM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Dec 22, 2017 10:13 AM

Jan 2017
pgmhecateii said:
Eell said:

You're not the target audience to begin with.

Who do you think is the target audience? Native English speakers?

It's aimed towards young adults and older.
Rating: R - 17+
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Watch order.

SandyAxe78 - Mar 2

2 by SandyAxe78 »»
Mar 2, 10:57 AM

» Live action remake trailer

Beatnik - Feb 14, 2009

15 by otakuops7 »»
Aug 24, 2021 11:57 AM

» Saya from BtLV and Saya from Blood+, the same person?

kodial - Jul 28, 2011

16 by ArcFloof »»
Aug 12, 2019 6:25 AM

» How was the voice acting originally done?

LavenderCourage - Aug 17, 2009

2 by LavenderCourage »»
Sep 4, 2009 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.