Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 2, 2017 4:10 AM

Nov 2015

Let's say the original world line is the world line where your grandfather is alive, then you time travel to kill him (to before you and your father were born, of course), instead of causing a paradox (i.e. destroy the laws of physics or everything in the universe, etc.), the world line will just branch from that point of his death in time. How about you? Well... you time-traveled to the past from a different future but you're now in the past so you'd still be there, your original version will no longer be born since it was in a different world line.

There are no multiple world lines. There's only one world line that's always active at a time. There are only hypothetical/theoretical world lines that wait to be activated. Let's use the Steins Gate world line as an example, all this time it was just a hypothetical world line.. until Okabe with Suzuha time-traveled to the past of the Beta world line and prevented the time machine from reaching Russia and letting it burn in the airplane fire, thus, World War III would no longer occur in the future, and that is in the Steins Gate world line.

Did I get everything right?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2017 6:09 AM

Mar 2016
Time traveling in the past is established event in World Line. This exact mechanic prevents paradoxes in S;G universe.

Grandfather paradox. So if you time travel to the past and would try to kill yourself it would cause paradox, right?

In S;G this just can't happen because in World Line everything was already predetermined. If you will time travel and try to kill yourself you just will not be able to do that, something will happen that will prevent you from doing that (attractor field), because when you was born in the past you from the future already was there trying to kill you and didn't succeed. We can see this in S;G in first part of ep1 and ep23, future Okabe was already there trying to save Kurisu and stabbed her as result, it was all predetermined.

And remember when Suzuha in ep16 (if I remember right) traveled in time machine after it was repaired to get IBM-5100? World line didn't change in the moment when she went to the past. Because it was already predetermined and she already was in the past and wrote that letter that Mr.Braum gave them a few hours later.
May 23, 2017 9:04 AM

Nov 2015
HoTTab1CH said:
And remember when Suzuha in ep16 (if I remember right) traveled in time machine after it was repaired to get IBM-5100? World line didn't change in the moment when she went to the past. Because it was already predetermined and she already was in the past and wrote that letter that Mr.Braum gave them a few hours later.
I'm confused and really unsure about this. I thought the world line didn't change because of Okabe stopping her from leaving and the lightning damaging the time machine significantly on which Daru's repairs are far from complete with these both leading to her 24-year amnesia which resulted in her failure to retrieve the IBN 5100?

No wait.. oh yeah.. I get it! Come to think of it... in every world line Suzuha is always there LOL!!! But still I don't think that's all there is to it.. there should be a "first time" where there were no future Suzuhas traveling from the future... it should be the first one with no time-travel related interventions and alterations on the world line.. this is the pristine world line...

But don't get me wrong.. I completely understand the predetermined nature of world lines... it's just so wrong (to me) to think it's the "first" instance of time going in that world line. This means there must also be a "first time" in the beta world line (S;G 0) with just the same characters except Suzuha. Compare:
  • the ending of Steins;Gate and the whole Steins;Gate 0
  • the alpha world line without Suzuha from the future and the one with her
  • the beta world line without Suzuha from the future and the one with her
  • Steins;Gate without any trace of Suzuha and the Steins;Gate we've watched and played

This is getting complicated for me especially if we consider Okabe with his Reading Steiner and the D-mails and time leaps in the "first times".

I'm probably getting wrong about 90% of this but yeah you can help me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

804 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Yesterday, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

309 by DmtTrean »»
Apr 9, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - May 3, 2011

280 by Mahmoud636363 »»
Apr 9, 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.