Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 30, 2017 6:28 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah, first impressions lasts, but not all the time, In Anime, First Episode is important because it decides whether the audience will continue to watch it or not.
Back to the Question Did you watch an Anime that you've been hooked-up solely because how awesome or great its first episode?

For Me its Gakkougurashi, the execution of the plot-twist at the last part of the first episode was very great and it got me hooked-up.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 30, 2017 6:31 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru totes

In all seriousness yeah I'd probably mention Gakkou Gurashi too. It's hard to make more of a drastic initial impact than that
Apr 30, 2017 6:38 AM

Apr 2016
Yes, Gakkou Gurashi's first episode had a real impact.

Boku dake ga inai machi also had an amazing first episode. Even though the ending was very meh.
Apr 30, 2017 6:43 AM
Jan 2017
It is golden boy, I don't remember if I laughed so much during a sex comedy before and who can forget the first episode of elfen lied.
CoreFinderApr 30, 2017 7:30 AM

Apr 2012
Off the top of my head, I'd say Eureka 7, Bounen no Xamdou and Evangelion had great first episodes.

Jul 2013
If we talk about good first episodes, for me, are the ones that make you hooked to them since the very first episode. Imo, the series who were able to do that (independently that the animes ended being bad later), have been:

-Attack on Titan
-Akame ga Kill!
-Fate/Zero
-Hellsing Ultimate
-Highschool of the Dead
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventures (the first anime)
-Katanagatari
-Prison School
-Symphogear (hell, all the first episodes of Symphogear are pretty great)
Apr 30, 2017 6:45 AM

Sep 2014
Well usually it's actually the first three episodes for most people to decide if they will keep watching.

But anyways I don't really think about singular episodes when I think of a show so I can't really answer.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Apr 30, 2017 6:47 AM

Jan 2017
Honestly? Kill la Kill had a freaking amazing first episode. Within the first four minutes, you get an idea of the balls-to-the-wall action you're in for. The rest of the episode does a great job of introducing the central conflict (gotta find out who killed Ryuko's dad) as well as the villains for the first half of the story, and finishes up with an awesome fight scene and leaves us with a good jumping-off point.

Actually, it does in the first four minutes what takes some anime an entire episode to do. Good job, Trigger.
Apr 30, 2017 6:48 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Boku dake ga inai machi

Best start ever hands down
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Apr 30, 2017 6:51 AM

Jan 2013
The impact of the first Berserk episode is what helped me to get through the slow-paced first half of the show, and it was worth it. Also, Shingeki no Kyojin comes to my mind.
Apr 30, 2017 6:55 AM

Oct 2016
Can't help but agree with OP, Gakkougurashi was just great specially cause i was told to watch it without even reading its sypnosis. It really got me right there.

But yeah, i'd also like know to about other good 1st episodes.
Wanna get an idea of what a good one should look like.
Apr 30, 2017 6:58 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Attack on Titan stands out the most especially with the way the first episode concludes. I mean, that escalated quickly.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Apr 30, 2017 7:08 AM

Jun 2016
Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan in my opinion had great first episodes.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Apr 30, 2017 7:13 AM

Jun 2015
It's largely more common for me to have a favorite episode later in the series, but even in that case Kare Kano has probably the 1st episode I like the most. Akachan to Boku and Haibane Renmei also come to mind (even if I've only watched 7 episodes of the former so far).
Apr 30, 2017 7:20 AM
May 2016
Have to agree with Gakkou Gurashi. The plot twist really got me even though the rest of the show wasn't too great.
Apr 30, 2017 7:22 AM

Oct 2016
Contrary to popular opinion, my favorite first episode was Steins;Gate. The only prior knowledge of the show before watching it was that it was a show about time travel.

Minor spoilers:
"It's the same sense of loss I feel when a slice-of-life series ends... The despair of knowing that their lives will still continue on, yet I won't be able to see it..."
~Hajime Tsunashi from Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
Apr 30, 2017 7:30 AM

Feb 2016
Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop but im biased af

I also liked FMAB's 1st ep a lot

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Apr 30, 2017 7:34 AM

Aug 2016
I haven't watched all of Death Note yet, but I found the first episode to be a great introduction.
Other's I can say off the top of my head such as One Punch Man and Rakugo. There's probably many more but those were the most notable to me.
Apr 30, 2017 7:37 AM

Jul 2014
Kakumeiki Valvrave bitches!
Spring 2013's greatest entry was Valvrave, not AoT! If you haven't seen it go watch it now!

And then Death note, god that was an amazing start that just kept me hitting the next episode button without stopping.
Apr 30, 2017 8:07 AM

May 2010
Probably depends on the genre.

Horror? Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, I still remember the thrill I've had when I saw Rena carring hatchet... Brr!

Shounen? SnK, very impactful first episode, can't forget if after what, 4 years? Although I remember enjoying FMA:B first ep a lot as well, although mostly thanks to action sequences and top-notch quality of animation.

As for comedy, probably Ouran, because no matter how many times I saw it I was just laughing my ass off.

I sometimes regret not watching all series I want once they air, because I know what Gakkou Gurashi is about and it just won't ever be as WHOA for me, sigh :<
Apr 30, 2017 8:08 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Hmmmmm....looking at my list for reference, a lot of stuff that I feel really stands out with having great first episodes to me are the more popular stuff. The ones I look back on as having great introductory episodes are NGNL, Hataraku Maou-sama!, TWGOK, Tokyo Ghoul, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, OreImo, and Re;Zero. That's just judging it based on the opening episodes alone rather than everything as a whole, though. I like most of them as a whole, but Re;Zero in particular took a sharp dive for me after the first couple of episodes.

But yeah. That's basically the list I came up with after skimming through my list and thinking about first episodes.

Out of all of the ones I listed, I'd actually say that I feel like Hataraku Maou-sama! had the best first episode. I haven't seen a comedy that got me going like that so quickly - as soon as they went into the human world, the rest of the episode had me in stitches. Barely any setup needed and barely any setup made, and then it becomes an absolute riot almost immediately after they arrive in Japan. I liked that. It didn't spend a lot of time explaining and setting up a premise that needed to be setup, and what little setting up it did after they arrived in the human world felt completely intertwined with the jokes, which made it less sloggy and helped it just get right into the comedy quicker. I feel like it more or less recognized that it didn't need to divert a lot of attention to that to make its sense of humor work, so...it just didn't waste much time before getting right into the thick of it. I liked that a lot.
ManabanApr 30, 2017 8:15 AM

Apr 30, 2017 8:12 AM

Jun 2015
Erased Amazing first episode.

Hell Girl, best first episode I have ever seen though the other episodes WERE SHIT. COMPLETELY UTTER FUCKING BULLCRAP.

Rainbow had a good first episode

Death note was very good as well

about it.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Apr 30, 2017 8:12 AM

Apr 2017
I love the Sudden Plot Twist of Tatami Galaxy on Ep.1 :)

"Opportunity is always dangling in front of you." That would be 10,000 yen xD

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 30, 2017 8:14 AM

Sep 2016
Inferno Cop had an amazing first episode.

/thread
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Apr 30, 2017 8:24 AM

Sep 2014
Kill la Kill by far
it doesn't wait or carae to introduce things slowly
kicking ass from the very first minute
Apr 30, 2017 8:25 AM

May 2012
Zeta Gundam. Kamille gets called a girl and destroys the earth federation singlehandedly. That is the power of autism.
Apr 30, 2017 8:49 AM
Jul 2018
Most of these are action and thriller shows... I mean, that's just hype.

This is very subjective, but for me, it's Nagi no Asukara. I love the ocean, and adding on the OP, I probably had the dumbest smile on my face.
Apr 30, 2017 8:51 AM
Mar 2017
Cross game
The 2nd ep of FMA:B
Shingeki no bahamut
Apr 30, 2017 9:12 AM
May 2015
If the first episode is shit the second or third episode has to be awesome, if not then just fly through it in high speed.
Apr 30, 2017 9:29 AM

Oct 2015
probably eva, panty & stocking, diebuster, tetsuwan birdy & tetsuwan birdy decode, beck, fist of the north star, great teacher onizuka, hell even chuu2 felt like it had a strong first ep for its own respective existence. i'm probably forgetting some right now tho
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Apr 30, 2017 9:32 AM

Jul 2015
Snk and death note
after watching the first ep of them i couldnt stop watching
Apr 30, 2017 9:48 AM

Feb 2015
Katanagatari had a memorable one
Macross Frontier's 1st episode did well in setting up the atmosphere
Apr 30, 2017 10:00 AM
Sep 2016
Boku dake ga Inai Machi started off strong and really set the tone for what was to come.

Kill la Kill did not shy away at all in style during those first few moments.
Apr 30, 2017 10:12 AM

Dec 2016
It's probably not the best I've seen, but Charlotte had a really good first episode. It's a shame that the series was all downhill from there.

What's the difference?
Apr 30, 2017 10:29 AM

Dec 2016
Boku dake ga inai machi, NGNL, and Re:Creators come to mind. But out of all of them, I'd say Boku dake ga inai machi's first episode was the best, or atleast, had the most impact on me
Apr 30, 2017 10:34 AM

Dec 2015
To mention some: Death note, Attack on Titan and 91 days (the OP got me going).
Apr 30, 2017 10:40 AM

Jun 2015
For me, i would say : Symphogear, all 3 seasons of it
first ep always starts with a nice concert scene and then jumps into the actions
Apr 30, 2017 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
Psycho-Pass
Shingeki no Kyojin
Zetsuen no Tempest
Apr 30, 2017 10:47 AM

Jun 2008
Attack on Titan and Osomatsu-san's first episodes are ones that comes to mind.
Feb 11, 2018 2:25 AM
Jul 2018
I was quite impressed when I saw the first episode of Gurren Lagann, it was really engaging and set the tone for the whole series, so I'll go with it.
removed-userFeb 11, 2018 2:30 AM
Feb 11, 2018 3:02 AM

Jun 2009
Baccano!, Shingeki no Kyojin, Soul Eater (that first fight scene), Ga-Rei: Zero, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) and Mob Psycho 100 (the first scene was awesome) come to mind.
Feb 11, 2018 3:05 AM

Mar 2015
Aldnoah.Zero had a pretty awesome first episode, especially the ending.

+1 to AoT
Feb 11, 2018 3:08 AM

Jan 2015
Osomatsu-san for the laughs
Kill la kill for the action
Made in Abyss for the world building
Shingeki no Kyojin for the gore
Feb 11, 2018 3:45 AM

Nov 2011
When rewatching some animes I felt some of their first episodes are better than the first time I watch it (example:TTGL and Champloo) ...

But the real first episodes that hook me up from the first time I watched it as I remember are from Cross Game and Fate/Zero (technically I already watched and played Fate/stay night before though) ....
I also agree with Erased's first episode was really feel amazing, the rest of episodes are getting worse though ...
Jim_HeartFeb 11, 2018 3:53 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Feb 11, 2018 6:50 AM

Jan 2018
Gakkou Gurashi for a mind twisting plot twist. (what?) and Shingeki no Kyojin for indulging the experience of seeing intense bloody splatters.
Feb 12, 2018 1:36 PM

Aug 2017
The first thing that comes to my mind is Owari no Seraph. It was very tense on a rough and emotional for a first episode on a way you've didn't expected to be.
Feb 12, 2018 1:44 PM

May 2009
Off the top of my head:

* The first several seconds of Guilty Crown are stunning, memorable, and highly atmospheric.

* The first two episodes of Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse are also very, very strong.

Unfortunately I became disappointed at both series later on.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 12, 2018 1:45 PM

May 2015
Death Note, for sure. The ending scene to that episode is one of the best in the entire series.

Feb 12, 2018 4:23 PM

Apr 2012
The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru, seriously. It gives you something to cotton on to. It manages to introduce the premise of the series perfectly, whilst leaving doubt over the big issues by pretending it's fictional, which is absolutely genius. It's endlessly creative in finding subtle and less subtle ways to imitate bad live-action filming, totally hilarious and actually building to a crescendo of humour what with Tsuruya's laughing, Shamisen speaking, and the unscripted entrance of a teacher all near the end, and it's got the perfect way to conclude. One of the best episodes of anime ever made.

Also, KareKano starts off absolutely on fire. Before I watched it, the idea of watching a "high school romantic comedy" sounded utterly pointless and alien to me. 25 minutes in, I was hooked.

And the first episode of Lain is unforgettable, hits you immediately with its way of presentation, and contains some of the best imagery of the show.

Slightly surprised by all the Gakkou Gurashi mentions, I love that show, but it was episode 2 which I thought was brilliant and hooked me. Episode 1 just has a twist. Anyone can create something with a twist. Episode 2 is where it demonstrates that its twist is actually an incredibly good idea.
Feb 12, 2018 4:28 PM
Feb 2018
Attack Titan has the best first episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

42 by WaffleMaster89 »»
45 seconds ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 4 minutes ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

52 by Dumb »»
4 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

87 by Shirayukin »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 15 minutes ago

2 by Dumb »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.