Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2017 8:43 AM
May 2014
So I stopped watching anime a while ago and just recently had the urge to watch Golden Boy.
I went to BakaBT to download and to my surprise BakaBT has now apparently gone private.
I then go to Thora Subs to see if they have a torrent and while the site is still up it seems quite a few of their links are dead.
It got me curious about all the other fansub groups and it seems a lot of them are dead now, from UTW to ggsubs and so on.
Does everyone just use CR now? Or am I just not looking in the right places anymore?
Apr 29, 2017 9:01 AM

Feb 2010
BabaBT just recently went private. I have no idea whether their older stuff will slowly find its way to nyaa and other freely available torrent sites or if it's gonna be hidden behind a private barrier forever.

But yeah for recent/airing series it's basically CR/Horriblesubs or bust these days. Has been for quite a while too. Only the Bakabt thing and the availability of older shows is a new development.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 29, 2017 9:15 AM

Apr 2015
BakaBT went private but I think you can still access some of their stuff through Google's cache without logging in (until that expires/updates to the private version that is).

Golden Boy's on Crunchyroll, might as well watch it there.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 29, 2017 9:16 AM

Jun 2016
NYAA has been working fine for me even with alot of older shows. There were a few times I torrented directly from HorribleSuibs and I might have done some PirateBay torrents on one or two occasions. Torrents are still available, you just need to have patience in finding some of them.
Apr 29, 2017 9:39 AM

Jul 2014
Other streaming sites have some old animus, screw CR.
Apr 29, 2017 9:40 AM

Feb 2015
animetorrents.me has a pretty good list of torrents. I can generally find whatever I'm looking for on that site. For newer releases, horriblesubs is nice too.
Apr 29, 2017 10:25 AM

Feb 2015
@Pullman I think to sum-up why BBT went private is because some random DDoS sites sends some random stuff in their site, if I was not mistaken correctly, and as far as I've read, in order to solve the problem they had to first make the site private...

Almost all illegal streaming site uses HS since it is the fastest of all, if a streaming site were to use a fansub's encode, it would be either from just where they finished, that's only for seasonal series.

I also feel sad that BBT went private, I can't hit-and-run their stuff anymore... :(

Ohh last... a lot of ppl don't use BBT since they have a very weird way of putting torrents in their site... A lot uses AB as far as I'm concern or nyaa...
Apr 29, 2017 12:12 PM

Feb 2013
DDL has always been an option.. dont know why it is not more used
i got some from anime.thehylia
Apr 29, 2017 10:27 PM
May 2014
Ah I see. Thanks for the replies.
I was just curious what happened to a lot of the previous fansub groups and such. Seems like a lot of them stopped around the same time and so I was wondering if there was just a huge wave of cease and desists or if it was just all coincidentally around the same time.
Ah well, guess I'll try my luck on the alternatives mentioned here.
Apr 30, 2017 1:29 AM

Feb 2013
marty95 said:
I was just curious what happened to a lot of the previous fansub groups and such. Seems like a lot of them stopped around the same time and so I was wondering if there was just a huge wave of cease and desists or if it was just all coincidentally around the same time.
i dont know what time is it you mentioned
but if it's in the 2010s, it could be becaus of the raise of simulcast/Crunchyroll drastically lowering the need for fan subs for recent shows
Apr 30, 2017 3:29 PM

Feb 2015
Comet said:
_Ako_ said:
@Pullman I think to sum-up why BBT went private is because some random DDoS sites sends some random stuff in their site, if I was not mistaken correctly, and as far as I've read, in order to solve the problem they had to first make the site private...

Almost all illegal streaming site uses HS since it is the fastest of all, if a streaming site were to use a fansub's encode, it would be either from just where they finished, that's only for seasonal series.

I also feel sad that BBT went private, I can't hit-and-run their stuff anymore... :(

Ohh last... a lot of ppl don't use BBT since they have a very weird way of putting torrents in their site... A lot uses AB as far as I'm concern or nyaa...

Good thing I have an account at bakabt. I can still access the site now. But yes, they said it went private because a certain copyright company was harassing them with copyright claims even after they removed the offending titles. Apparently the images used in descriptions were copyrighted too.

The only good reason of having an account in BBT back then, was because it was not private. Regardless of what shit it is, it would be hard to DL in BBT now.
Apr 30, 2017 6:59 PM

Jun 2007
marty95 said:
I'd say it was a combination of factors:

* In the late 00s, many older groups used the "enterprise fansubbing" model, and found themselves hard-pressed to keep up with newer groups in the gg mold.

* Also around that time, many olde-tyme fansub translators went to work for Crunchyroll and other legal subbing companies.

* While the availability of legal streaming itself might not have had an effect on fansubber motivation, the availability of HorribleSubs stream-rips did -- most downloaders consider HS to be at least adequate in terms of subtitle and audio/video quality, and there was no way to beat stream-rips on speed. So fansub groups lost out on download counts and discussion/attention/praise from viewers, and when you're doing that kind of work for free, those rewards are essentially your pay.

* In today's downloading scene, HS stream-rips get by far the most downloads, followed by edits of the streaming subs on fan-made encodes from Japanese TV (what we'd call "fansubs" at this point int time); "archival" releases such as DVD and BD-rips get even fewer downloads than the TV-fansubs, leading groups such as Thora to decide that the effort isn't worth it. With the rise of bootleg streaming sites and a viewerbase that only cares about seeing the latest shows as soon as possible (regardless of quality, because otherwise they'd watch HS/CR/Funi or TV-encodes or literally anything else), there's not much motivation to spend time and effort on Blu-Ray encodes of older shows.

* Admittedly this is just speculation on my part. But perhaps subbers/rippers don't want to see their hard unpaid labor, which they undertake to contribute to the experience of the anime-viewing community, monetized by those aforementioned bootleg streaming sites. Obviously they have no recourse against those sites, other than to stop making those contributions.
Apr 30, 2017 7:01 PM

Oct 2016
Unfortunately, bakabt's public april tracker just expired for me :(

My .torrents don't work anymore. I have to finish the others via LQ streaming...

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 30, 2017 11:27 PM

Nov 2009
marty95 said:
Does everyone just use CR now? Or am I just not looking in the right places anymore?

With BakaBT gone private, it can be hard to find old stuff now. (fortunately, I do have a BakaBT account, and enough proxies to access rutracker)
But fansubs do exist. Just yesterday I downloaded some uncensored Nanatsu no Taisai, because those pentagrams on HorribleSubs' version were annoying.
Occasionally I just can't find what I want on HorribleSubs' list, and have to look for other sources. Usually, fansubs do not fail me in this regard. Sometimes they do - there are no subs for Pikaia, and learning about Cambrian Explosion without subs is damn hard on my level of language. I guess nobody cares about Cambrian.
Apr 30, 2017 11:38 PM

Jul 2016
romagia said:
DDL has always been an option.. dont know why it is not more used
i got some from anime.thehylia

http://fluffy.is/ has DDL as well. ;)

For torrents, though, the group project-gxs has very nice re-encodes of other groups with extremely small sizes.

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

11 by alshu »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

25 by -Ryu »»
6 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 22 minutes ago

4 by Serafos »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

33 by alshu »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

100 by Teirayo »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.