Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 13, 2018 7:51 AM

Jun 2009
I loved this series.

Since I'm one of the salty's about Alisha dont have much screentime in the game this anime was great for me.

Anyway I wont recomend this anime for whose have doesnt played the game. The soundtrack reference is cool when you know the music and the story looks more easy to understand after played the game.

(thinking as someone who hasnt played the game everything may look confuse and the characters boring)
Mar 27, 2018 12:18 AM

Jun 2012
Slightly unsatisfying ending, I was wondering why Sorey wasnt talking about meeting Alisha and Rose again at the end when he returned, its cuz they're dead 0_0

I really wanted to see a reunion scene. And they kinda left it open ended too.
Apr 25, 2018 7:59 AM

Aug 2013
Bland characters af.
3/10
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Sep 15, 2018 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
First cour was decent enough, but this was boring as hell. Rose is such a one dimensional character and Alisha was kinda just subbed out for her it just made this cour rather abysmal to watch. Adapting Berseria would have been soooooooo much better.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Sep 16, 2018 7:44 AM

Jul 2013
I have so many problems with this show that I don't even know where to begin with. Let me just start by saying that I really really loved the first cour of Zestiria. You can say the pacing was painfully slow but I honestly didn't feel it. In fact, I enjoyed every episode it. As expected from ufotable, they really deliver beautiful sceneries, made the amazing character designs of Zestiria come to life with quality animation and special effects that blend well together. It was truly a breathtaking visual experience. Almost every scene looks like it can be made into a phone or desktop wallpaper and nobody wouldn't even dare suspect it as a fan art from a good artist because the studio is just that good and consistent with their visuals. The fight scenes are okay. The animation and visuals are great as usual but they're really too short. They just exchange a few blows/slashes for a few seconds and then the next minute someone uses an epic power to finish the fight. It stays like this throughout the whole series. The fights fly by too fast for an anime adapted from a JRPG.

My main gripe in this show are the characters. The story isn't very spectacular but I'll expound on that later. If you're not going to provide an interesting story, the least you could do is give us some interesting characters but they couldn't do it for us either. Sorey may be idealistic and remained constant throughout the whole show but I honestly still like him. I'm not one of those pretentious MAL users that hate goody two shoes characters. I liked Mikleo as well and the Normin Seraphim were cute. Lailah felt like a tutorial character who guides and gives you hints as you go through the game but I can't fault her for that. For a show set in a fantasy land, I guess there's gotta be someone who explains how the world works to the audience. Can't say I like her for that but I understand her purpose. The Seraphim in general, aside from Mikleo, were uninteresting and remained underdeveloped throughout the whole show. They only seemed like power ups for the main characters. Rose to me was a very unnecessary character and a waste of screentime. Alisha was a far better female lead than she is but they sidetracked her in favor of Rose. They dedicated a huge chunk of the second cour to Rose's uninteresting story when the world was in shambles from the calamities happening and Alisha was being hunted by her kingdom. It became even more evident when a single episode of Alisha running throughout her kingdom to save it from Bartlow's rule was far more interesting than Rose's entire story arc. Even those two Berseria episodes were far more interesting that Rose's. Zaveid was pretty uninteresting as well but if they already had him as a wind Seraph then there was no need for Dezel as well. The whole cast is pretty big and in the end they just became background characters. What was even the point of bringing a whole battalion to fight the Lord of Calamity if they're just gonna be left behind anyway because "oops main characters only... you guys can stay behind." They could have utilized Maltran's character more efficiently. She seemed like an important character at the start but became useless in the end. She was only ever useful as a bait for Alisha.

The antagonists aren't any better either. The Lord of Calamity was an underwhelming villain and Symonne never made sense. She's like another random character in the show.

What was the point of that fox hellion again? He seemed like an interesting character at the start but nothing's really happening with him. He's just there.

The story isn't anything special. I didn't know what direction they wanted to take with the story. It's basically just Sorey going from one place to another and purifying the Malevolence in the area while Alisha is having political struggles in her kingdom and then they go the north to fight the big baddie. I almost forgot but there was also dragon that appeared right before Sorey in Ladylake in the first season and it just disappeared for no reason. I don't know what's the purpose of it. The whole issue with the church and the blue storm knights wasn't resolved properly either. They just purified the dead dragon under the church and then that's it. I don't even know what the church hoped to achieve by hiding the dragon's corpse like what were their intentions? I may have forgotten or they just didn't explain it clearly.

The show takes it powers too lightly. At first, I was dumbfounded at the idea of Alisha becoming Sorey's squire and being able to see Seraphim because I thought it was too easy but I realized it was needed to show us that Sorey can't handle purifying dragons all by himself. But then they made Armatization a joke when the Shepherd's squires were able to use that power. I thought that it was an ability exclusive only to the Shepherd. They made it sound like it had some serious repercussions if a squire attempted to Armatize but in the end, both Alisha and Rose were able to Armatize with different Seraphim at the last minute.

I don't know if these are legit inconsistencies or I wasn't just paying enough attention to the show but how did Dezel even purify Symonne? I thought only the Shepherd could purify Malevolence? Did he really have to sacrifice himself like that? They were already fighting hordes of dragons before and they seemed perfectly fine. Seemed like just an attempt to create drama. The dragons also became less and less threatening as the show reaches its end. They are supposed to be the strongest manifestation of Malevolence but when the main cast was battling hordes of them at the north, it all seemed like child's play. Even that drake in the first cour was more intimidating. I get that they've become stronger but it feels like they just nerfed the dragons really hard to make it easier for the characters to get to the Lord of Calamity. Rose and Alisha were out for days after purifying a dragon but were somehow able to withstand all the Malevolance from the Lord of Calamity. The lore in this universe isn't explained very clearly. This whole thing about the Five Lords is shoehorned at the end of the show. It feels like they just rushed everything towards the end. I still don't understand how Maotelus became a dragon in the first place or how he still has senses after turning into one. He was just shown at that state from Heldalf's backstory. Lailah at the end was calling another man as Shepherd. Does this mean that two Shepherds can be alive at the same time? Was Sorey still the Shepherd or did he already lose that title? How was he still able to Armatize with Mikleo? I really have a lot of questions. I feel like if I played the game, I could have a better understanding of the show.

Anyway first cour was a solid 7/10 while this disappointing followup is a 4/10 for me.

Oct 23, 2018 8:04 AM

Apr 2011
Okay ending. I was hoping Sorey will purify Ednas' big bro, but oh well.

Glad to see Sorey come back, but too bad Alisha, Sorey, and the rest are gone now.

6/10
Mar 31, 2019 10:11 PM

Feb 2018
It turns out he is still alive I think he is dead. Princess Alicia so pretty.
Jul 25, 2019 6:13 PM

Apr 2017
I dropped it after the 1st cour then continued it after 1 year the characters are boring they could have at least put more Sorey X Mikleo scenes or made it Shounen-ai it would sell better and would be more enjoyable
Aug 2, 2019 3:02 AM

Aug 2014
Story and villains were just as messy and nonsensical as the game, but they atleast handled Dezel, Rose, Alisha and Sorey much better in the anime (which should be pretty telling of how poorly done they were in the game). Also a shame they didn't use the final dungeon for the confrontation with Heldalf and that version of the final battle, because the anime version of the confrontation was really lacking and bad.
Sep 2, 2019 8:49 AM

Mar 2010
i didnt watch this because i played the game. can someone help to summarize it all for me especially if the ending differ from the game? thanks .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2019 6:33 PM

Oct 2014
Sebastian333 said:
i didnt watch this because i played the game. can someone help to summarize it all for me especially if the ending differ from the game? thanks .

Most of this season is new by ufotable. It's bad. The difference between this ending and game's ending is that Sorey destroyed Heldalf in 3 minutes. Alisha could armatize, Eizen didn't die (So Sorey never learned that killing is saving someone and not always an act of malevolence, so Mayvin never died and most of that argument was never explored) and they gave stupid fanservice with AlishaxRose. That's an overview of the differences
Sep 6, 2019 7:28 PM

Mar 2010
DrustVG said:
Sebastian333 said:

Most of this season is new by ufotable. It's bad. The difference between this ending and game's ending is that Sorey destroyed Heldalf in 3 minutes. Alisha could armatize, Eizen didn't die (So Sorey never learned that killing is saving someone and not always an act of malevolence, so Mayvin never died and most of that argument was never explored) and they gave stupid fanservice with AlishaxRose. That's an overview of the differences

Thanks man, if we go by what you;ve said it seems that its not a game adaptation but rather an original new story based of the game. gee what a "happy" ending that is
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2019 4:09 PM

Oct 2014
Sebastian333 said:
DrustVG said:

Thanks man, if we go by what you;ve said it seems that its not a game adaptation but rather an original new story based of the game. gee what a "happy" ending that is

Pretty much as you say. 1st season is actually almost the same as the first part of the game until the start of the war in Glaivend Basin. 2nd season is what I like to call "The anime of Zestiria that Alisha fanboys (the ones who made death threats to the producers of the game) would made". That's why I don't want another Tales anime series ever. The games are the best way to tell their stories.
Dec 26, 2019 12:33 AM

Oct 2019
Was expecting Berseria episode(s) like in S1, too bad it didn't happen. Visual is outstanding as expected ufotable, but the story itself is decent. They should adapt Berseria instead.
Apr 23, 2020 11:17 PM
Apr 2020
tales of zestiria the x, please provide information about season 3, please release me, a fan of zestiria
Apr 23, 2020 11:17 PM
Apr 2020
tales of zestiria the x, please provide information about season 3, please release me, a fan of zestiria
Aug 15, 2020 12:26 PM

Nov 2016
Damn I really wish they had given this another season instead of this. Also, does anyone know how much fucking time passed between Sorey purifying Herald and him coming back? Because Im pretty sure it's been long enough that Rose and Alisha died from old age but not him? Unless Rose and Alisha just can't sense he's back for some reason.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Oct 30, 2020 6:00 PM

Aug 2019
Didn't like the ending that's why i gave mine a low score 4/10
Oct 31, 2020 6:07 AM
Oct 2020
I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere someone said it was possible that both rose and Alisha were possibly turned into seraph after they passed on, and possibly live in soreys home 'village' (for lack of a better word) but I highly doubt that is what happened, since there's no plot or hints about that occurring
Dec 29, 2020 8:56 PM

Nov 2015
can't believe those fucking bitches finally steal the show! it was always all about rosexalisha development o:< 7/10.

💢

Jan 2, 2021 12:29 AM
Jul 2020
For me the ending was a 10/10 it was really amazing
Jul 15, 2021 8:52 AM

May 2018
Meh ending tbh. At least reunite with Edna and purify her onii-chan dammit!

5/10
Mar 30, 2022 9:01 AM
May 2011
Pacing in this season wasn't the best, but I've seen worse, I at least appreciate all the changes made to the story, most if not all were for the better imo
Apr 13, 2022 1:10 AM

Feb 2020
Well, it was a nice and emotional finale.

Overall, this season wasn't as epic or entertaining as the first season. Too many average episodes.
Oct 27, 2022 5:52 PM

May 2019
The lesbian couple in a simple and wholesome end surprised me.
Dec 3, 2022 5:40 PM
Jul 2021
A dumb fucktard ending to a dumb fucktard show copied from a dumb fucktard video game.

Story, villains and characters were just silly, messy and nonsensical, bland boring as hell characters. Rose is such a one dimensional character and Alisha was kinda just subbed out for her.

The "final battle" was anticlimactic to say the least

The unnecessary/uncalled for Rose x Alisha fan service & lesbo hint(s) at the end.

The Millennia time skip? Why? I know the answer but, producer/studio please do tell.

Sorey x Mikleo fan service? Bleh, now a days two guys can't have a platonic relationship, everyone & everything has to gay. Bleh, this coming from a bisexual guy. Sick and tired of this b.s
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Jan 5, 2023 11:16 PM
Jun 2017
better than the game already. 8/10
Fire Emblem anime when
Jan 16, 2023 4:08 PM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
A nice ending to a series that was overall a really pleasant surprise.

The second season took quite a big departure from the plot of the game, but overall I felt most of the changes that were made ended up making for a better story, at least in anime form. The only instance where I kinda felt it was a shame they changed it was Sorey and Mikleo being reunited. In the game's epilogue this happens in a scene that's way more brief, but far more impactful.

The music has been excellent throughout the entire series, but was especially epic this finale. A shame the prequel Tales of Berseria never got its own full anime.
Beep boop
Aug 13, 2023 1:32 AM

Jan 2020
Not a fan of how poorly the characters were handled. Not a single one of them changes.
Powers come seemingly out off nowhere, just when Sorey needs them
Seriously, he has never failed or struggled the entire anime, aside from his first fight with the Lord of Calamity and even then he succeeded in stopping most of the fighting.

The anime has a serious tell but not show problem. Lailah constantly says how Sorey has improved, but we don't see anything aside from new flashy attacks. Is that all a Shepherd needs to develop? More power?
Because this is kinda all this anime implies there is to being a Shepherd. Sorey isn't the best one, because he has a mature world-view, he is because he is the strongest. For no apparat reason at that.
No Blood. No Bone. No Ash.
Aug 18, 2023 9:59 AM
May 2022
Best Tales of Series FAN Games
Tales of Zestiria origial ps4 old games bad
Next Tales of Zestiria Remake likes

10/10 TOZthe X to Remake
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2017

93 by LeonhartAugust »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2017

95 by LeonhartAugust »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:00 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2017

93 by Sasutaschi »»
Aug 6, 2023 12:55 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2017

72 by Dawizz »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:05 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2017

85 by Dawizz »»
Nov 16, 2022 12:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.