Forum Settings
Forums

"You gotta see it a few times to properly understand it"

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 27, 2017 3:01 PM

May 2016
Speaking from a position of an absolute fanboy, if you even remotely enjoyed Madoka Magica (3rd movie included), you should watch it at least twice.

Both because, from an artistic standpoint, you're pretty much missing half the content, as well as because as good as the first contact is, the second viewing is just better.

Frankly, I've seen it 6 times, and still won't claim to really properly know it, nor to be done with it.
Apr 27, 2017 3:04 PM

May 2012
this nigga said inception. you are cancelled nigga.

Apr 27, 2017 3:05 PM
Nov 2016
Not really pretentious. Complex narratives like Monster and Fate/Zero have some underlying themes that aren't very clear the 1st time around. I doubt a common viewer like myself would normally notice the themes of nihilism (which I hadn't noticed) on the 1st viewing. It was only until I read others' opinions online about Fate/Zero did I discover these themes, and did Fate/Zero become a 10/10 for me.
Apr 27, 2017 3:08 PM

Jun 2008
Specimen021 said:
Speaking from a position of an absolute fanboy, if you even remotely enjoyed Madoka Magica (3rd movie included), you should watch it at least twice.

Both because, from an artistic standpoint, you're pretty much missing half the content, as well as because as good as the first contact is, the second viewing is just better.

Frankly, I've seen it 6 times, and still won't claim to really properly know it, nor to be done with it.

Loved Madoka....but I didn't bother with the movies.

IMHO, movies that re-write and CHANGE an anime are bullshit.

I've NEVER been a fan of that.

I can watch a sequel anime movie like "The disappearance of Haruhi" but I'm just not into the whole remaking or retelling of events when it comes to anime movies.

PoeticJustice said:
this nigga said inception. you are cancelled nigga.

lol.

Apr 27, 2017 3:12 PM

May 2016
JustALEX said:

I can watch a sequel anime movie like "The disappearance of Haruhi" but I'm just not into the whole remaking or retelling of events when it comes to anime movies.

They didn't though... The first two are literally the show, slightly re-cut and better looking (i.e there's no need to watch them), but the third one is a direct sequel.
Apr 27, 2017 3:18 PM

Jun 2008
Specimen021 said:
JustALEX said:

They didn't though... The first two are literally the show, slightly re-cut and better looking (i.e there's no need to watch them), but the third one is a direct sequel.

IMO it's not a direct sequel....it's a change.

Madoka ended perfectly, there was no need for anything else.

Again, at least IMO.

The movies give some ALTERNATE ending which to me is simply unnecessary.

I feel the same for Evangelion.

Except the ending is retarded....but iconic....and thus perfect.....the movies are not sequels IMO, they are changing a classic, iconic anime.
Apr 27, 2017 3:22 PM

May 2016
JustALEX said:
Specimen021 said:

IMO it's not a direct sequel....it's a change.

Madoka ended perfectly, there was no need for anything else.

Again, at least IMO.

The movies give some ALTERNATE ending which to me is simply unnecessary.

I feel the same for Evangelion.

Except the ending is retarded....but iconic....and thus perfect.....the movies are not sequels IMO, they are changing a classic, iconic anime.

Well, suit yourself. I love the third movie, possibly because what happened in it was precisely what I hoped would happen (and thought should happen), pretty much to the letter.

It is canon, so in my eyes, it is a part of the series, unseparably.

And same for the End of Eva, because that movie was well worth sitting through the show.
Apr 27, 2017 3:32 PM

Nov 2013
Omkar_Nagwade said:
codephat said:
You never "have to" honestly.
It's all on a personal level.

I like to rewatch things after I realize what the overall theme is so I can see if every episode/scene/character furthers this. It's not about basic understanding. It's about adding to the experience.

Also Inception is typical Nolan garbage and 2001 is really easy to understand.

Inception was inspired from Paprika right? Edge of Tomorrow is also a manga adaptation.

To be exact, it's an adaptation of a light novel. And a rather bad one. But that's another topic.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Apr 27, 2017 3:33 PM
Nov 2016
Not really pretentious. A theme is a recurring element. Many people, first time viewing, won't notice a recurring element during their 1st view because they are focusing on simply keeping up with the story. Example:

Fate/Zero's underlying theme is the danger of obsessive pursuit of ideals (or plain nihilism, however you interpret it). You may not end up noticing how nearly ALL the characters pursuing a specific goal get f*cked over by the end while the assholes like Gilgamesh don't.
Apr 27, 2017 3:57 PM
Jul 2018
Here's the thing, I was able to fully understand Ergo Proxy the first time around, but I wasn't able to fully appreciate it.

It's kinda like Bloodborne.
I played it once, understood the story (as in, I filled as much gaps as possible with my own interpretations) but didn't think it was a masterpiece.
Then I played it a second time, really focused on expanding my previous interpretations (because I knew what to look for) and basically... it's in my Top 10 greatest games now.

Another good example would be Serial Experiments Lain. One run and I thought it was ok. Two runs and I thought it was at least a 9/10.
I'm not defending the writers who put these overly cryptic narratives into play, BUT, there is still something to be said for going through this process of "learning" an anime.

I won't lie, it's kinda fun...
Apr 27, 2017 4:22 PM

Jun 2011
I prefer "more enjoyable the second time."

Because you are looking for clues for the ending that you got. If you can't find clues and it comes sudden- it was a shitty ending. IF you can find clues, it was probably a good ending. New things to enjoy with every rewatch.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 27, 2017 4:53 PM

Jul 2013
Sometimes re-watching shows lead to new info you had missed before. I don't think it needs to be necessary but sometimes shows go from good to great on a re-watch.
Apr 27, 2017 5:19 PM
Jul 2018
Spirited Away, because I didn't know anything about Shinto as a kid, but that's important to understand what Haku actually should be, and I didn't get the meaning of characters and story elements like Two Face or the nature protection themes.
Apr 27, 2017 5:26 PM

Jan 2016
God, people on MAL are so pompous and stupid. OP, what makes you think that a 5+ hour anime can't possibly hold more information, either visually or textually, than you can comprehend, or even remember, in a single viewing? I highly doubt you are so artistically literate that you can catch every symbol, reference, or otherwise meaningful instance in even a simple show, especially not a particularly dense and layered one, and then remember it forever. Humans aren't capable of remembering everything they see in even a single film, even if they have seen it 100 times. But y'all are so idiotic that you think you couldn't possibly miss anything in a single viewing. You're all just a bunch of fucking chuunis who think you're special and smarter than everyone else. The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know, and it's obvious that y'all don't know shit.

God damn, why do I even bother with these retard-filled forums?
Apr 27, 2017 5:35 PM

Jun 2011
GoldNautilus said:
God, people on MAL are so pompous and stupid. OP, what makes you think that a 5+ hour anime can't possibly hold more information, either visually or textually, than you can comprehend, or even remember, in a single viewing? I highly doubt you are so artistically literate that you can catch every symbol, reference, or otherwise meaningful instance in even a simple show, especially not a particularly dense and layered one, and then remember it forever. Humans aren't capable of remembering everything they see in even a single film, even if they have seen it 100 times. But y'all are so idiotic that you think you couldn't possibly miss anything in a single viewing. You're all just a bunch of fucking chuunis who think you're special and smarter than everyone else. The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know, and it's obvious that y'all don't know shit.

I don't think the OP is stupid. There is that saying in movies. Stuff like Fight Club has always been really fun to watch on the second viewing and not even just for symbolism for for things you missed like Starbucks.

I understood Evangelion the first time... doesn't mean it wasn't more fun the second.

Where Madoka was not even fun the first time for me. eh. Meanwhile I can watch something like Yuri on Ice 6 times and it hasn't even been out that long. But I found new things to do each time for sure. I think Yugioh is the most fun to watch over and over as I have seen it more than 10.

And... yeah eh. I have memorized entire episodes dialogue start to finish. I remember cards played and stuff like that.
Energetic-NovaApr 27, 2017 5:38 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 27, 2017 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
GoldNautilus said:

---

Some people are just enjoying themselves while they explore new facets and things in general, if they love something.
I really like to read special informations, "things you didn't know", character analysis etc. from other people on Tumblr and other sites. They can be so interesting. Either they affirm my opinion or they are adding something new to my way of thinking... about this and maybe even in general.
So, if you are rewatching some shows, you are just happy about easter-eggs and other little details you may have missed. It's fun to explore deeper layers.
It's just called being a huge nerd ... and I love being like that. XD
removed-userApr 27, 2017 9:13 PM
Apr 28, 2017 9:57 AM

Jun 2012
Johnnyd3rp said:
The only anime i've watched that doesn't make sense to me till today is Akira.

Same. And I will never ever watch it again.
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Apr 28, 2017 10:06 AM

Nov 2013
As long as you understand perfectly well the language being used in the anime or movie, if you have to watch something more than once to understand it that just means it's not interesting enough, as it failed to catch your attention.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Apr 28, 2017 10:31 AM

May 2015
JustALEX said:
How do you feel about this statement?

I can understand a movie...

Like Inception or 2001....you gotta see it a few times to fully understand it.

But an anime?!

And yeah, I guess this would be the 2deep4u variation of anime that elitists are constantly banging over our heads that if we just take the time, we'll also appreciate it like they do!

Anyways, your thoughts?

I've gained different perspective on things with multiple rewatches, I don't see what's "elitist" with that.

How about, I don't know, one of the most popular anime to ever exist in evangelion.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Apr 28, 2017 10:50 AM

Sep 2013
GoldNautilus said:
OP, what makes you think that a 5+ hour anime can't possibly hold more information, either visually or textually, than you can comprehend, or even remember, in a single viewing?

The fuck do you expect from an ecchifag who only watches mindless garbage? There is no merit in re-watching those crap so it's a new concept to them.
Apr 28, 2017 11:52 AM

Oct 2015
it's possible with any kind of medium, even with anime.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Apr 28, 2017 12:58 PM

Jan 2014
That tends to be code for "there's really nothing more to it but I want it to appear special."

There are movies that one can have a deeper appreciation for the second time around, but if it has to be viewed 4 times or more, then it is needlessly obfuscating.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 29, 2017 2:53 AM

May 2015
RedRoseFring said:
That tends to be code for "there's really nothing more to it but I want it to appear special."

There are movies that one can have a deeper appreciation for the second time around, but if it has to be viewed 4 times or more, then it is needlessly obfuscating.

You also need a hook to want to watch it again. Something should've been interesting in the first place, or maybe someone can provide a new viewpoint that makes the series look different in retrospect. Just rewatching doesn't change much.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

37 by Strayfe »»
31 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

26 by Lizsaki »»
33 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
34 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
41 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.