Forum Settings
Forums

Wikipedia founder aims to 'fix the news' with crowd-funded website

New
Apr 25, 2017 12:25 PM

Jan 2009
The founder of online encyclopaedia Wikipedia has announced plans for a crowd-funded news website offering stories by journalists and volunteers working together, an initiative he hopes will counter the spread of fake news.

Jimmy Wales said the new platform, Wikitribune, would be free to read and carry no advertising, instead relying on supporters to fund it, while the accuracy of its articles would be easily verifiable as source material would be published.

"The news is broken, but we've figured out how to fix it," he said in a promotional video posted on the website's homepage, which does not yet carry any news stories. The page indicates the platform will go live in 29 days.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-media-wikitribune-idUSKBN17R11K

big if they can deliver, but seeing how wikipedia have outdated infos sometimes makes me doubt a little if he can succeed with being a news source that needs to be up to date as soon as possible
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 25, 2017 12:30 PM

Apr 2015
There was a fake, completely unsourced article about an anime that supposedly aired on TV Tokyo for years. I don't exactly have the highest of faith in Wikipedia.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 25, 2017 12:36 PM

Jan 2009
CatSoul said:
There was a fake, completely unsourced article about an anime that supposedly aired on TV Tokyo for years. I don't exactly have the highest of faith in Wikipedia.

ye that happens too, what more if its about news
so call me cautious but still i will give them the benefit of the doubt
Apr 25, 2017 12:43 PM

Apr 2017
i trust wikipedia more than nearly every news site, the citations list at the bottom is always interesting if you're not convinced by what you're reading and i hope they do the same with this news platform.
wikipedia also makes some good graphs and images, keep that up as well

a crowd funded journalistic news site by a non profit i respect, i too have hope in it and will probably subscribe
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Apr 25, 2017 12:51 PM

Jan 2009
Ikaros_42oh said:
i trust wikipedia more than nearly every news site, the citations list at the bottom is always interesting if you're not convinced by what you're reading and i hope they do the same with this news platform.
wikipedia also makes some good graphs and images, keep that up as well

a crowd funded journalistic news site by a non profit i respect, i too have hope in it and will probably subscribe

yep thats one positive thing about wikipedia that they provide links to their sources well most of the time but not all the time
Apr 25, 2017 1:36 PM

May 2014
While people might have their qualms about this, if its done right it could be the savoir to the cancer online we all need. Plus its probably alot better than most news sites.
I've been here way too long...
Apr 25, 2017 6:02 PM

Mar 2015
TBH, even knowyourmeme site know more about citation and more valid as news even than your average news site even wikipedia... what a time to be alive, LMAO
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 26, 2017 12:49 AM

Jun 2011
Their Gamergate article is proof enough that Wikipedia has no interest in fighting fake news.
Apr 26, 2017 12:51 AM

Jan 2017
Wikipedia is a fuckin joke
They won't do jackshit

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Apr 26, 2017 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
TheConquerer said:
While people might have their qualms about this, if its done right it could be the savoir to the cancer online we all need. Plus its probably alot better than most news sites.

At least Wikipedia has citations, although some whining "fake news!!" outcries are going to attempt to justify that. Claiming it's comparable to anything like Fox or CNN is absurd, period. There's also a pool of contributors and moderators- anyone can edit articles- but inaccuracies and trolling are often undone and shoved out the window. It's an organized site, not some talk show styled opinionfest.

Even if there is "mUH BIAS" present even in the tiniest concentration, the bias is going to be far lesser than any garbage site you'd consult to try and reinforce one's own political bias. Wikipedia at least tries to be factual. It's no scholarly journal in its entirety, nor a source to consult for a graduate thesis, but unlike a series of little harping pricks, it does use citations, which is more than can be said for most news sites nowadays.
removed-userApr 26, 2017 7:00 AM
Apr 26, 2017 7:18 AM

Oct 2014
Everything that has even the TINIEST amount of "opinion" included (that includes very obvious cases of lies by omission) a news article should be disqualified that very instant.

The problem with that of course would be that 99% (or even more) of articles would be disqualified because something like "objective news" pretty much stopped existing for some time already.

The only barely acceptable alternative would be to have at least one sources each from opposing news groups and delete anything that doesn't obey that rule.

But none of this will be considered anyway and I can already imagine seeing articles from "huffpost" or "buzzfeed" being considered as "credible sources". This is hopeless.
Apr 26, 2017 8:30 AM

Jul 2015
wikipedia founder trying be judge of wat fact/truth
LOL
linking an opinon pieces by underpaid intern in citations secton doesn magicaly into article credible.
hes websiet mite as well be quora or yahoo answers
Apr 26, 2017 8:47 AM

Jun 2008
Is he gonna hire some alien robots to write the articles? Because as long as humans are then there is no way they won't twist or hide the full picture due to their own beliefs of biases.

Also all i need to know about how unbiased Wikipedia is, is to look at Anita Sarkeesian profile page where the woman saying that the song "All i need for Christmas is you" is somehow a sexist bigoted patriarchal song, is presented as a logical educated critic that was harassed.
Apr 26, 2017 11:22 AM

Sep 2013
im currently using wikipedia for news, it is good. I like the idea as well, i cant access any news websites without getting cancer so yeah, just give me news facts and no opinions. I really hate opinions
Apr 26, 2017 2:55 PM

Mar 2013
"Fix the news" LOL wikipedia is one of the most blatant propaganda sites on the internet
Apr 27, 2017 10:38 AM

Mar 2009
I doubt both his intention and his ability to do it.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Apr 28, 2017 3:11 PM

Mar 2008
Well if they do it they should provide info only from the original source for each detail so it can be easily checked as valid or not instead of dealing with citing sources that got their info from other sources which is what a lot of news sites do.
Apr 28, 2017 3:23 PM
Feb 2017
wikipedia is cancer we should all know this by now
Apr 28, 2017 4:20 PM

Jun 2015

Jokes aside, could be interesting.. I guess.

Apr 28, 2017 6:24 PM

Mar 2013
spuukiebuugi said:
me having some ethnic Jewish ancestry does not make me a "Zionist" sweetheart

also this supposed ""artificial consensus"" is majority consensus and often far more objective than any garbled incoherent shit your far right extremist sites post so… please..... don't. like, you can't even accept the reality the rest of the sane, normal world is living in, please don't play that game with me.

yeah once again, either accept the zionist narrative, or you are an insane far right conspiracy theorist. majority consensus does not make something objectively true
Apr 28, 2017 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
Ivich said:
spuukiebuugi said:

also this supposed ""artificial consensus"" is majority consensus and often far more objective than any garbled incoherent shit your far right extremist sites post so… please..... don't. like, you can't even accept the reality the rest of the sane, normal world is living in, please don't play that game with me.

yeah once again, either accept the zionist narrative, or you are an insane far right conspiracy theorist. majority consensus does not make something objectively true

okay, not all jews are zionists. stop that.
nothing you believe in is objectively true either, hun, in accordance with your own bullshit "logic" sorry to burst your bubble. you're just a lost little lamb whose too entangled in a spiderweb of insanity to actually be able to make the distinction between reality and fantasy. that's soooo sad.
Apr 29, 2017 7:59 AM

Dec 2016
Operation INFEKTION was a KGB disinformation campaign to spread information that the United States invented HIV/AIDS[2] as part of a biological weapons research project at Fort Detrick, Maryland. The Soviet Union used it to undermine the United States’ credibility, foster anti-Americanism, isolate America abroad, and create tensions between host countries and the U.S. over the presence of American military bases (which were often portrayed as the cause of AIDS outbreaks in local populations).[3]

The funniest shit ever, is still to this day I meet black people who tell me the White man created AIDS to kill all the blacks and gays.
Bwahahahahaha. Ahahahahaha!

No you silly person, we invented it to kill Communists!

Ironically, many Soviet scientists were soliciting help from American researchers to help address the Soviet Union's burgeoning AIDS problem, while stressing the virus’ natural origins. The U.S. politely refused to help as long as the disinformation campaign continued.[16] The Segal report and the plenitude of press articles were dismissed by both western and Soviet virologists as nonsense. [17]

SoverignApr 29, 2017 8:05 AM
Apr 29, 2017 12:00 PM

Mar 2013
spuukiebuugi said:
nothing you believe in is objectively true either, hun, in accordance with your own bullshit "logic" sorry to burst your bubble. you're just a lost little lamb whose too entangled in a spiderweb of insanity to actually be able to make the distinction between reality and fantasy. that's soooo sad.

lol this is why i don't argue with jews. you don't debate, just attack
Apr 29, 2017 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
Ivich said:
spuukiebuugi said:

lol this is why i don't argue with jews. you don't debate, just attack

that's what you're doing too, dude
you don't ""debate"" either
/pol/faggotry, pure /pol/faggotry
Apr 29, 2017 3:20 PM

Mar 2013
spuukiebuugi said:

nah, i'm not the one who writes paragraphs psychoanalyzing everyone who disagrees with me so i can call them insane
Apr 29, 2017 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
Ivich said:
spuukiebuugi said:

nah, i'm not the one who writes paragraphs psychoanalyzing everyone who disagrees with me so i can call them insane

at least psychology is an actual validated science that exists, unlike your conspiracy theories
Apr 29, 2017 6:37 PM

Nov 2012
spuukiebuugi said:
Ivich said:

at least psychology is an actual validated science that exists, unlike your conspiracy theories

Inb4 he claims that psychology is a Jewish invention (Freud) as evidence that it cannot be trusted.
Apr 29, 2017 10:51 PM

Jan 2010
spuukiebuugi said:
Ivich said:

coming from a zionist lol, anything that benefits your agenda is automatically true

wikipedia very clearly cherry picks what sources they allow to shape reality based on an artificial consensus

If he is a neo-nazi how does that make him or the sites he visits far right? I belong to the far right and consider Keynesians like Nazis to be center left wingers. What is your basis of calling him far right? Anything you don't like is far right?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.