Forum Settings
Forums

What happens when you get 4deep2u'd by an anime?

New
Apr 24, 2017 11:35 AM

May 2016
Do you look up possible meanings on the internet?

Do you just consider it bad because it was convoluted and confusing?

Do you look for people who disliked it to understand how you can dislike it just as much as they do? Or do you look for people who liked it and ask what they thought of it?

For people who have never been 5deep3u'd by anything, how does it feel to be so fucking intelligent that you've never been confronted by anything difficult?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 24, 2017 11:50 AM

Jun 2015
I put it on my rewatch list for whenever convenient. For me that was the case with Serial Experiments Lain and, to an extent, Kaiba.
Apr 24, 2017 11:56 AM

Feb 2013
i am good at making my own story from the material given by anime

yuri kuma is just an attack on titan rip off

Feb 2016
As long as the characters don't act completely retarded, it's fine. Plot comes first, although plot presentation in 4deep2me anime is usually utter shit.
I never had problem with understanding the general/important meaning of such anime but I prefer to watch something that makes sense and have inner logic/consistency even at face value.

Jun 2011
it's trash if i dont get it

exempur: why include symbolism on buddhism if that require extra research done to understand it? what's the point? anime isn't about "omg i understand dis deepu animu so its da best eva"

For real tho, symbolism is overrated if it's not done within the context and is completely understandable within the story itself.

Some anime tend to try to be over-complicated for no apparent reason. It's quirky when used right, but it gets annoying when it's inappropriate. For example: Events in anime shown not in the chronological order / annoying directing style that often skips around, rotating the screen sideway, upside-down / script where it just beat around the bush trying to be poetic or philosophical without ever getting to the main point for no reason.

So yeah I've been 3deep5u'd by anime, and those are anime I deemed trash.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 24, 2017 11:57 AM
Feb 2016
No anime is too deep for me, I am a never-ending expanse of knowledge with an infinite understanding of literary criticism. I understand all the media that I consume from the highest intellectual standpoint.

Yudina said:

For people who have never been 5deep3u'd by anything, how does it feel to be so fucking intelligent that you've never been confronted by anything difficult?

FeelsGoodMan
Apr 24, 2017 11:59 AM

Apr 2017
some say other people make anime, this is of course false.

I am the GodHead of anime. all that is flows through these japanese hands into your screen.
hailsatan
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Apr 24, 2017 11:59 AM

May 2016
Shoegum said:
No anime is too deep for me, I am a never-ending expanse of knowledge with an infinite understanding of literary criticism. I understand all the media that I consume from the highest intellectual standpoint.

Yudina said:

FeelsGoodMan
Sir, I'm only going to say this once, but can you please shut the fuck up and get back to studying?
Apr 24, 2017 12:00 PM

Jan 2016
Its' quite fascinating that you didn't list the most common reaction: To rewatch the parts you couldn't make sense of. Reading up other peoples interpretations is kinda misleading most of the times, since there isn't meaning per se, but the meaning is created in the interaction of medium and consumer, thus varies from person to person.
Apr 24, 2017 12:02 PM
Feb 2016
Yudina said:
Shoegum said:

FeelsGoodMan
Sir, I'm only going to say this once, but can you please shut the fuck up and get back to studying?

ok... :(

[BTW ty to any people who have told me to get back to studying, really helps me stay focused]
Apr 24, 2017 12:08 PM

Feb 2010
I rarely feel completely lost in an anime without at least having a sense of making progress from episode to episode (only happened with Boogiepop Phantom which I dropped because it was just too confusing for my meager intellect and I didn't feel I was any closer to understanding it after 6 episodes than I was wafter the first).
Basically if I make it to the end I generally have some idea of what the anime meant for me personally at least even if not all my questions were answered. If I didn't have any kind of idea what I'm watching and why and what it is trying to do I'd probably not have the patience to stick it out. Even having 'wrong' ideas about what the anime is trying to do is better than having none. As long as I think I understood, I'll be fine, even if I didn't :>.

So yeah, on the one hand I don't have a strong urge to 100% understand everything. As long as I got some subjective value out of it that's usually good enough for me. I'm a pleb like that. On the other hand curiosity does sometimes get the better off me, especially regarding people I know and whose input I value so I do tend to read up on their interpretations and thoughts. And very occasionally I'll even google the internets for the input of strangers. But generally more focused on people who liked the show because it's not hard to dislike a confusing 2deep4u show, I don't really need people to point out to me the finer points of being confused and not liking that feeling and blaming the show for it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 24, 2017 12:10 PM

May 2016
slkrd said:
Its' quite fascinating that you didn't list the most common reaction: To rewatch the parts you couldn't make sense of. Reading up other peoples interpretations is kinda misleading most of the times, since there isn't meaning per se, but the meaning is created in the interaction of medium and consumer, thus varies from person to person.
Because often times when people finish something and have no idea what happened, it's not like rewatching one or two scenes will help. If you had no clue what happened in Inio Asano's Nijigahara Holograph, it is likely that the entire thing went over your head rather than one or two scenes.

I disagree with the whole "meaning is established in the interaction of text and reader" line of theory, not because it's completely wrong, but because it inadequately discredits the inexplicable presence of the author and presumes that it's impossible for any true bridging of horizons between a general text and a general reader that can be universalized, which I don't think is true. This line of theory has also always faced serious problems when it comes to allusions and matters of artistic tradition.
YudinaApr 24, 2017 12:14 PM
Apr 24, 2017 12:23 PM

Jan 2013
Depends on how much I care for the show. Sometimes there as those 2deep4me shows which I think were just a waste of time and I honestly don't care about deep meanings and symbolism in them. I usually leave them unrated, I would feel bad giving them a low score just because I didn't feel like making an effort to try and understand them better. Example: GitS. In a case when I don't get something but I genuinely want to understand, I search for explanations on the Internet and if I see that they actually make sense, I'll rewatch the show and try to make a sense out of it by myself with the help of those explanations. I don't trust them blindly, I treat them as hints. Example: SEL. I sometimes also search for those analysis when I perfectly understand a show but I just want a new, different perspective or I feel like I might've missed some details. Usually happens when I really loved the show and want to know about it as much as possible or to understand the characters and their motives better. Example: Berserk.
fuyukiApr 24, 2017 12:58 PM
Apr 24, 2017 12:30 PM

Feb 2010
Yudina said:
slkrd said:
Because often times when people finish something and have no idea what happened, it's not like rewatching one or two scenes will help. If you had no clue what happened in Inio Asano's Nijigahara Holograph, it is likely that the entire thing went over your head rather than one or two scenes.

I disagree with the whole "meaning is established in the interaction of text and reader" line of theory, not because it's completely wrong, but because it inadequately discredits the inexplicable presence of the author and presumes that it's impossible for any true bridging of horizons between a general text and a general reader that can be universalized, which I don't think is true. This line of theory has also always faced serious problems when it comes to allusions and matters of artistic tradition.

I don't think it's debatable that meaning can be (and regularly is) established in the interaction of text and reader. You don't need any awareness of the author to get meaning from a text. There are texts with unknown authors after all.

Now limiting meaning ONLY to the interaction between text and reader and ignoring the presence of the author completely is something I don't necessarily condone either when it comes to literary analysis, but I do strongly think it's optional and not a quintessential part of the meaning-making process. Often insightful, even relevant, but not absolutely necessary.
I'm not saying it's flawless but it's definitely preferable over insisting the presence of the author always has to be considered when looking for meaning in a text, if you ask me. Judging whether it is relevant/insightful on a case by case basis under the baseline of it not being an obligatory part of the process makes the most sense to me when interpreting texts. But I'm open to alternatative models if they're convincing.

I also don't think that you can generalize interactions between a general text and a general reader, but I'm not sure I understood correctly what you meant by that. Do you really think these interactions can be generalized beyond cultural, educational and individual differences? I don't think there's any text where these differences won't lead to different interpretations that defy generalizations. At best you can generalize them only under certain parameters.
AlcoholicideApr 24, 2017 12:34 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 24, 2017 12:41 PM

Dec 2014
I really enjoy deep anime, because I find it fun to interpret what's given to me in my own way. Don't get me wrong, researching theories is extremely fun too, but the reason why I enjoy watching them is because I feel like my mind is doing so much more work in the background analysing even the seemingly most pointless of aspects in comparison to that of other shows.

Though I mean, just because I appreciate 'deep meaning' and symbolism etc, doesn't mean that I don't enjoy shows with other redeeming qualities too, and they definitely aren't the only shows that someone has to actually apply thought to either.
Apr 24, 2017 12:49 PM

May 2015
Even if it is "deep", I'm fine with knowing the overall gist of the story. If I figure that out, I can piece the deep parts together to understand it more. I don't mind doing a bit of research to figure out the "deepness" of an anime.

Lain was pretty confusing at first, but the later episodes gave me the explanation that I needed, so I was able to piece all the parts together to understand and enjoy it.

Boogiepop was also a good watch, but I had to think outside of the box to figure out what was going on.

I thought Utena was a generic shoujo anime early on, but the later episodes proved me wrong, and my mind was blown when I realized what the anime was doing.

Of the "deep" anime that I have seen, only two left me at a loss.

The first one is Mousou Dairinin (Paranoia Agent). I understood the story, but the themes were just 2deep4me. Lots of complicated stuff...

The second one is not an anime, but rather a Manga. As mentioned above, Nijigahara Holograph was a manga that I couldn't really get the grasp of, but that's probably my fault since I read one chapter a day. I think it would have been better if I just read the whole thing at once...
Apr 24, 2017 12:52 PM

Feb 2016
I start throwing depth charges and hope I destroy the sucker.
Apr 24, 2017 1:20 PM

May 2015
What does it mean?

If it's too vague, then it's bad, just a mish-mash of cool visuals that don't offer much.

A lot of anime don't have a clear answer, but do explore themes, show them from different viewpoints and so forth. You don't need weird visuals for that. Just look to Paranoia Agent which is deeply personal and the characters generate all the meaning.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 24, 2017 1:27 PM

Jul 2015
Complexity doesn't have anything to do with the overall quality, but if the concept and plot of the anime weren't very clear and it's obvious that it's so random and causes this and that, then it just pisses me off.
Apr 24, 2017 1:27 PM

Oct 2016
Yudina said:

It doesn't feel any different. It might be a little meh to see people hating on some anime because they didn't understand though. That's about it.

But no, never been 2dpd. I wish that would happen sometime though, and then i'd probably look up for something on internet explaining what confused me.
Apr 24, 2017 2:07 PM

Dec 2012
Honestly, I like a good mental challenge, and I'm fairly knowledgeable and worldly so there is not much I can't figure out just given the available in-show material. It might take a couple rewatches to get everything sometimes though.

That being said, I do think there is difference between complexity and intentional obfuscation, the first is acceptable, the second is not.
KruszerApr 24, 2017 2:11 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 24, 2017 2:17 PM

Jan 2014
Yudina said:

Feels pretty fucken good.

On a serious note tho it feels pretty boring when people hate the anime cuz they didn't understand it when it wasn't really hard to understand and in the end even if they don't understand it they don't bother to think up something of their own and verify it. I mean sometimes it baffles me that people didn't even understand the simplest of things in the anime xD.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Apr 24, 2017 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
It would be a 4deep2me if it goes to a deep point and yet I'm not really getting it. Doesn't really mean it's necessarily a bad thing but it will tick me off.

The most recent example when it comes to this in mind for me is not really on anime but it's on an manga series called The Promised Neverland. It has the lore around the mother but the problem is that I'm not really grasping the situation going on. Not to mention as a person that doesn't like mystery shows this is giving me a bad vibe to say the very least.

When it comes to recent examples in terms of anime would be Sakurada Reset. It's not a bad thing in itself but I can't grasp the execution of it either. The dialogue is consisted between decent to meh, sometimes cringe worthy lines. Which is only on episode 1... so I can't say for the rest though so.
Apr 24, 2017 2:32 PM

Oct 2016
Reading this thread actually helped me understand why I didn't enjoy Ghost in the Shell as much as I was expecting to. It didn't make me ask questions, or think deeply about the implications of the world with this technology. I was just bored waiting for someone to explain something to me.

This is a huge problem with a deep storyline that is poorly explained. If your viewer doesn't catch on to it and miss the point, your show starts to just make no sense.
"It's the same sense of loss I feel when a slice-of-life series ends... The despair of knowing that their lives will still continue on, yet I won't be able to see it..."
~Hajime Tsunashi from Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
Apr 24, 2017 3:53 PM

Oct 2010
Sometimes I do, it doesn't happen very frequently because the little I can grasp is enough to form a vague idea, and in turn to, if not fully understand, be able to feel through the emotions and reflections it puts to the table in at least a basic level of storytelling. I don't need to hear about the collective unconscious theory to grow a strong attachment to SEL, though I'm sure it would help to grow an even bigger one.
Apr 24, 2017 3:54 PM

Apr 2011
I move on with my life a give that bad anime a low score
Apr 24, 2017 3:56 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I take time to understand why I didn't understood it's deepness beforehand and eventually try to make sense of what I witnessed on a emotionally deep level.
Apr 24, 2017 3:56 PM

May 2012
I talk to people with different opinions than mine. I don't always accept their opinions, but it can shed light on confusing aspects.
Apr 24, 2017 3:58 PM

Jun 2011
I fall asleep a lot. A lot a lot. I pray that maybe one character will come in and make it not too deep for me. Example Death Note first watch was kinda hard until Misa showed up. Then I was all about that Misa Misa. Matsuda was cute but not enough. And guess what- I fell asleep during Death Note a LOT. And I am someone who loves Evangelion. And I swear Death Note does the same shit to me as Angel's Egg. Which also makes me sleep.... and Texnolyze.... but unlike those anime- Death Note was smart enough to give me one character I could stay awake with.

I fell asleep a lot during my first watching of Serial Experiments Lain too but honestly the only reason I thought it was boring was that I was nodding off during all the interesting parts and waking up when it was normal. lol. I told my friend "All they did was email each other and talk about a dead girl. Don't know what is so special. Seems like a normal anime to me" on first episode because I fell asleep so many times during the right moments. lol
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 24, 2017 3:58 PM
Apr 2014
I have a bad habit of assuming any show that I don't quite understand and that looks cool is just too brilliant for me. Sometimes it really is just incomprehensible.
Apr 24, 2017 4:03 PM

Sep 2015
just say you understood what happened, and give it a 10/10. after that, make fun of people who make post about also not getting it
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Apr 24, 2017 4:04 PM

Jun 2011
Achachan said:
I have a bad habit of assuming any show that I don't quite understand and that looks cool is just too brilliant for me. Sometimes it really is just incomprehensible.

Yeah... sometimes you fall asleep during the first 5 minutes no matter what you do am I right?
Apr 24, 2017 4:05 PM

Jun 2011
Tonysol67 said:
just say you understood what happened, and give it a 10/10. after that, make fun of people who make post about also not getting it

I would never lie. More willing to admit their anime makes me go night night.
Apr 24, 2017 4:44 PM

Feb 2016
I usually dont miss anything particularly important or crucial to understand the overall picture. The things I miss and then find later on accident are just nice little touches to know but they dont make groundbreaking changes to my opinion. If I understood the thread correctly then I dont consider these 'extras' to be where the heart of the story lies, it should stand on its own without them. They are ofc appreciated but only after the first element is accomplished to a satisfying level.

edit: so basically something along the lines of what @Aquamirror said
SpaghettiSpikeApr 24, 2017 4:51 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Apr 24, 2017 6:10 PM

Apr 2014
Arjuna got way too deep, starting from a magical girl anime to a collection of things wrong with current society, Karl Marx style
Issuukan Friends and Erased got pretty deep since these little kids would do just about anything for their elementary school friends but Arjuna has to be the Marianas Trench of the lot
Apr 24, 2017 6:16 PM

Oct 2016
If it gets too deep and I don't have any idea anymore what's happening, I usually visit forums and read the (useful) comments/insights. It works sometimes lol.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 24, 2017 6:18 PM
Aug 2015
When it comes to any medium, not just anime, where I am exposed to something I don't entirely understand I see it as an opportunity to learn. I look at discussions on the topic and sometimes it ends up sparking interesting conversations. Sometimes some stories are just flat out convoluted due to poor writing. But just because I don't understand something initially I don't have a knee jerk reaction of "I don't understand it so it must obviously be shit". that seems like some weak minded thinking. (I was about to preface that with a no offense but I feel like that would be pointless)
Apr 24, 2017 6:26 PM

Jul 2009
If I can still get a grasp of the plot, then it's off to the next episode for me. I'll just hope that I'll eventually make sense of everything by the end.
Apr 24, 2017 6:52 PM

Oct 2015
if it's 4deep2me i still can get it sorta, and will google if need be,

7deep10me tho ;-;
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 24, 2017 7:06 PM

Apr 2015
Like End of Evenjellyen? 1/10 enjoyment value because

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tag
BrandonApr 26, 2017 7:32 AM
Apr 24, 2017 7:09 PM

Sep 2016
It only happened with Serial Experiments Lain so far. I understood the concept of the anime, but that's not enough for me. It fails in explaining what happens a lot of the time and continues onward, expecting you to understand anyway. When it reached the point where they kept mentioning real life people and scientific studies, I didn't even care anymore. I remember thinking "How is this even relevant to the story?" But that's not the only reason why I find it a bad show. It genuinely bored me and it's the only time where I actually struggled to finish a show. Had it been a 2-cour anime, I would've dropped it.

I have no desire to find out what everything in that show means since I stopped caring in the first place. I'm also not going to pretend that it's a good show just because some people do enjoy it and understand everything.

Apr 24, 2017 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
I usually get the overall message etc. of said show even if did not understand some symbolism and that is enough for me. The only time I did not quite underatand the message much was in Angel's Egg until I understood that it doesn't really have a clear message and you can really make of it whatever you want, well maybe not entirely or maybe I just missed something, I dunno, either way I had some ideas and interpretations and upon watching a video by some youtuber despite him saying the opposite of what I was thinkging at times I was never really convinced that I was somewhat wrong kinda like there was not really a clear goal or interpretation, I mean kinda was but kinda wasn't.
Apr 24, 2017 8:43 PM
Jun 2015
romagia said:
i am good at making my own story from the material given by anime

yuri kuma is just an attack on titan rip off
No it was an anime made by people that wanted to fetish lesbian relationships with fan service but also support lesbian relationships by portraying them as hungry monster bears. Its exactly the best way to portray lesbians; cute lesbian monster bears that will kill young girls for petty reasons or out of hunger(probably tasty anime clam chowder).
Apr 24, 2017 9:02 PM

Jul 2010
It's one thing for an anime to contain deep themes and great ideas, but it's how they show those things that matter to me. I can understand the themes of, say, Mawaru Penguindrum (which isn't all that hard given how many times they mention "fate" and "destiny",) but still hate it for it's style, characters, and how it overall conveys it's themes.
Apr 24, 2017 9:09 PM

Oct 2011
I try to discuss it with other people who watched the anime as well. I did that with End of Evangelion.
Apr 24, 2017 9:57 PM

Mar 2017
Usually I do a couple of different things. What I did with Ghost in the Shell was I watched it, didn't quite understand it, so I watched a couple of analysis videos and then rewatched it understanding more of the core themes and stuff. After rewatching it became my favourite movie ever, so I guess that worked for me.

Other than that, there aren't many I've seen that have been too hard for me to grasp. Evangelion came off to me as nonsensical, and even after talking to people about it they all said "yeah, the religious symbolism doesn't actually hold any real meaning," so I never really understood it. Haven't watched Serial Experiments Lain yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it'll seriously bamboozle me at first.
Apr 24, 2017 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
Most of those are bullshit to begin with, and I usually end-up hating them. Just pointless pretentious dibble for over-thinkers to get their panties wet, count me out from that club!
Apr 24, 2017 11:13 PM

Feb 2013
The only feeling that really makes me want to give up on anime is being boring, which is always about presentation rather than depth.
Apr 24, 2017 11:49 PM
May 2015
This is why we HAVE TO SPEED UP ANIME 4X + OR WE CRINGECRINGE. WHOS THE ONE UTTERING NONSENSE NOW? honestly speeding up is greatgreat.
Apr 24, 2017 11:52 PM

Apr 2017
Reaching to it's some aspects...

I think.. my FEELS toward the series... can't handle any twisted...and sickened show.. that even my mind would gone empty... as a Bin... full of spiral thoughts
-HippySnob-Apr 24, 2017 11:55 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

46 by redorzo »»
30 seconds ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 8 hours ago

6 by redorzo »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 11 hours ago

23 by redorzo »»
5 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9066 by BlackSpectrum »»
7 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Yesterday

48 by TsutanaiFuun »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.