Forum Settings
Forums

What is your opinion on people who rate anime very low?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 24, 2017 8:29 PM

Aug 2016
Well ratings/scores are based on your personal enjoyment about the certain anime. Why not drop it? Well, we are all masochist inside >:)

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 24, 2017 8:40 PM

Aug 2007
Don't really care. While I do think the tendency to go for one extreme or the other (either a 1-2 or 9-10 every time) is silly, that's their choice to do so.
Apr 25, 2017 1:20 AM

Apr 2017
I think that most of them are pissed that a show they don't like has a good score (In the case of shows like say, SAO)

I've been tempted to give Evangelion 1.11 and 3.33 a 1/10 for that same reason, but I know that just because I didn't like them very much doesn't mean that there aren't things to like.

Also adaptations of manga they read that don't live to their expectations, they probably aren't bad but almost certainly don't deserve a 1/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2017 8:27 AM

Sep 2014
I don't think anything of them.
Why are you assuming they enjoy anime any less than you? Is this a serious thread?
Apr 25, 2017 8:30 AM

Sep 2016
Cirno9 said:
DEGOZAURUS said:
@Cirno9 what if someone rates everything he drops O:

What if you don't add dropped anime? Honestly, if you can't stand the first 10 minutes of "Umaru chan" there is no point at adding it to your dropped list just to rate it 1/10 :^)
you add drop list to keep track of shit anime smh
same with hentai so i know what to rewatch when im horny
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 25, 2017 8:53 AM

Apr 2016
GangsterCat said:
Cirno9 said:

What if you don't add dropped anime? Honestly, if you can't stand the first 10 minutes of "Umaru chan" there is no point at adding it to your dropped list just to rate it 1/10 :^)
you add drop list to keep track of shit anime smh
same with hentai so i know what to rewatch when im horny

Why do I have that feely feel that people just want a long list :^)
Apr 25, 2017 9:00 AM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
I don't think that you can really legitimize an opinion about another person's opinion, but in most cases a low rating indicates they didn't like that particular anime, not that they dislike anime as a whole. That's the point of a rating in the first place, to show your likes and dislikes to further display your capabilities and potentially favorable new shows to watch.

There's an apparent difference when speaking to someone who just negatively rates an anime/manga very low to obtain a larger list after not finishing it or watching/reading it at all and someone who genuinely rated it based on their experiences after completing the show/manga; knowledge of the show/manga, a strong stance on the plot/characters, etc.

So not exactly something to agonize or frustrate yourself with.
aphyeApr 25, 2017 9:03 AM
Apr 25, 2017 9:20 AM

Jun 2016
flame2frost said:
1 means apalling
2 means horrible
3 means very bad
4 means bad
5 means average
6 means fine
7 means GOOD

based on MaL's scoring guideliness
I understand that the MAL scoring guidelines are there, but I think we're better off ignoring them, and rather, using the scores like rankings. That's the way that makes the most sense.

Say you have Love Live and Gurren Lagann both ranked at 8/10, because you consider them to both be "Very Good". By doing that, you are saying that those two shows are around the same quality, which I think we can all agree is preposterous. By using scores like rankings, this also means you can actually have a bar of quality. If the best thing you've ever seen is Kill La Kill, and then you see something like Evangelion and like it better, that means Evangelion just raised your personal bar of what makes a 10/10, dropping Kill La Kill and everything else scored under it one ranking.

Anyone with lots of 3s, 4s, and 5s is probably just rating their anime this way.
Apr 25, 2017 9:34 AM

Feb 2008
PoeticJustice said:
I mean like people in the low 4s Tbh, it is really just a lot of self-aggrandizing nonsense. There is only like 4 people who I have ever seen who can explain themselves.

If you don't enjoy anime, why bother watching it?

Simple, it's because ratings don't always correlate with enjoyment. You can actually have the integrity to admit that something is bad, while actually being able to enjoy the same thing. For example, I genuinely enjoyed watching Micro Commando Diatron 5, but there isn't a single thing that I would praise about it. Same for the "classics" like Mars of Destruction and Skelter Heaven, which somehow achieve not just being unintentionally funny, but also unintentionally demented.

Apr 25, 2017 9:37 AM

Mar 2016
I think... that people who are rating anime very low.... are people who are rating anime very low.

In the other words... Care'o'meter: 0/10
Apr 25, 2017 10:18 AM

Jan 2015
Spagem said:
flame2frost said:
1 means apalling
2 means horrible
3 means very bad
4 means bad
5 means average
6 means fine
7 means GOOD

I understand that the MAL scoring guidelines are there, but I think we're better off ignoring them, and rather, using the scores like rankings. That's the way that makes the most sense.

Say you have Love Live and Gurren Lagann both ranked at 8/10, because you consider them to both be "Very Good". By doing that, you are saying that those two shows are around the same quality, which I think we can all agree is preposterous. By using scores like rankings, this also means you can actually have a bar of quality. If the best thing you've ever seen is Kill La Kill, and then you see something like Evangelion and like it better, that means Evangelion just raised your personal bar of what makes a 10/10, dropping Kill La Kill and everything else scored under it one ranking.

Anyone with lots of 3s, 4s, and 5s is probably just rating their anime this way.

I see, i does happen, when you discover something knew you're like "no way this is on the same level is this" and you feel like the score needs to be decreased, then mostly happens when you rewatch a show
btw by ranking you mean MaL ranking? pretty sure they are based on scores
Apr 25, 2017 10:24 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Spagem said:
Say you have Love Live and Gurren Lagann both ranked at 8/10, because you consider them to both be "Very Good". By doing that, you are saying that those two shows are around the same quality, which I think we can all agree is preposterous.

indeed

Love Live is infinitely superior

Apr 25, 2017 10:25 AM

Oct 2013
Hentais are a insta 10/10 for me. You may ask why, and I say: cuz I'm an etilist
Apr 25, 2017 10:37 AM

Feb 2015
I look at them as Gods of Internet and i save my best faps for 4K copies of their profile images.
Apr 25, 2017 10:45 AM

Jun 2008
People can score how they want. Some people will think that my scoring system is broken. I don't really care.
Apr 25, 2017 11:00 AM

Sep 2016
Spagem said:
flame2frost said:
1 means apalling
2 means horrible
3 means very bad
4 means bad
5 means average
6 means fine
7 means GOOD

wow more than -20% affinity, you have absolute shit taste. and yes, Love Live is infinitely better than that glorified super mecha
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 2015
who cares?..............its their life..............

Apr 2015
Not concerned about it. I find it likely that my own average rating could dip to that level in another year or two.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Apr 25, 2017 11:04 AM

Apr 2016
AyameTomoko said:
They're probably just very critical about the anime they enjoy, that's all.
Though I tend to rate anime based on my level of enjoyment and try not to think about the minor faults and itty bitty flaws.
And if I'm not enjoying an anime, I'll just drop it and remove it off my list without leaving a rating.
People who have their list with 90% of the anime they've watched under a rating of 5, I assume liked at least a quarter of those anime, but they didn't rate based on enjoyment rather they just based their rating on technical jargon that I personally don't really have the time or will to look into.
Also whether or not someone will enjoy an anime is purely based on their taste, and everyone has different taste.
I've learned not to care about these things though.

Didn't you have one of those "How I rate" things on your profile a few days ago? ー_ー
Hypocritical, are we?
Apr 25, 2017 11:06 AM

Feb 2015
Mhh.. I dunno about that, never stalked in MAL before so I wouldn't know...
Apr 25, 2017 11:09 AM

May 2012
EroYuki said:
who cares?..............its their life..............

i am a very caring person. i wonder if those people are depressed
Apr 25, 2017 11:20 AM

Feb 2012
Lately I rate show under 7 only if its pain to watch till end.
I try to find something to enjoy in everything I watch otherwise what's the point doing something I don't like. I would be okay with just 6-10 ... (so standard 1-5 system rules for me...)
Apr 25, 2017 11:50 AM
Mar 2017
Well I'm a newbie, but I find it kinda hard to rate anime, since lower scores seem harsh,however there isn't really any other way the differentiate from the ones I liked better, even though it makes it seem like i didn't like them at all.
I imagine it's even trickier for people with a huge amoubt of series completed, or easier i guess, depends
Apr 25, 2017 11:56 AM

Apr 2013
They clearly can't enjoy anime/ watch them as if it was a job.
Apr 25, 2017 12:09 PM
Mar 2017
Omkar_Nagwade said:
AyameTomoko said:
They're probably just very critical about the anime they enjoy, that's all.
Though I tend to rate anime based on my level of enjoyment and try not to think about the minor faults and itty bitty flaws.
And if I'm not enjoying an anime, I'll just drop it and remove it off my list without leaving a rating.
People who have their list with 90% of the anime they've watched under a rating of 5, I assume liked at least a quarter of those anime, but they didn't rate based on enjoyment rather they just based their rating on technical jargon that I personally don't really have the time or will to look into.
Also whether or not someone will enjoy an anime is purely based on their taste, and everyone has different taste.
I've learned not to care about these things though.

Didn't you have one of those "How I rate" things on your profile a few days ago? ー_ー
Hypocritical, are we?

It would be hypocritical if I still had it up.
Within 24 hours of adding that to my profile, I removed it.
I quickly realized how pointless that information would be since I don't keep anything on my list that gets a 6 or below.
Apr 25, 2017 1:24 PM

Aug 2014
They suck big time. Can't believe they have different opinions on what counts as average smh
Apr 25, 2017 1:28 PM

Feb 2015
I have plenty of anime under 4, I watch them because some of them are so bad that they're good and the irredeemable shit anime that are so bad that it's not even funny I usually watch for the purpose of discussing them with my friends.
They can be fun to watch with friends on stream either way though.

Maybe they enjoyed something to a certain extent but still think it's terrible? Maybe they know what they're watching is terrible and don't even enjoy it but watch it cause a character they like is there.
Idk. But when people rate anime lowly, I don't care.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Apr 25, 2017 1:34 PM

Jul 2015
They have high standards
also I kinda agree with them since the majority of anime are below average
Apr 25, 2017 1:42 PM

Jul 2016
if it bc of their standard way of rating anime then its fine

but if it's bc they genuinely don't like the anime I don't really get it, why would you watch anime if you hate it? or why would you continue an anime you think sucks? idgi
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2017 2:04 PM

Jan 2014
Not everything I enjoy deserves a good score. A 1 minute animated video simply doesn't have the complexity of a feature film or a 50 episodes series, so I won't give it a high score no matter how brilliant it could be.

And of course, if a rating system goes from 1 to 10, you're supposed to use all the scores. Considering that the mathematical mean is 5.5, I think having a 6.5/7 average score is already completely wrong...

Anyway those with an average score below 5 are less than the 1%, probably there are more people with an average score above 9.
Kuzan48010Apr 25, 2017 2:08 PM
Apr 25, 2017 2:07 PM

Feb 2015
demon92ac said:
They clearly can't enjoy anime/ watch them as if it was a job.

Ugh... another one of those ''Meeerrr, dey dun Njoy animu... boooouww''

You do realize some people find joy in analysing anime? Why is it so hard to grasp by some people?
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Apr 25, 2017 2:16 PM

Feb 2016
What should I think of them?They can rate Animes how they want to.I don't want to care about something like that.Some people are raiting Animes different than other.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Apr 25, 2017 2:18 PM

Jul 2015
It doesn't matter to me. If I ever look at someone's scores I care more about how they score shows relative to each other than the actual numerical score. The only people I really dislike are those who only use the extreme ends and rate shows as either 1-2 or 9-10. I wished that MAL could show a person's standard deviation alongside their mean so I could filter those people out.
Apr 25, 2017 2:24 PM
Mar 2013
I mostly rate 6+ .For me 5 or less means it's really bad but who cares.
Nani!?
Apr 25, 2017 6:08 PM

Sep 2013
majority of my scores are low, its called wading through shit to find a good show. currently my avg is 4.55 but its going down because cant find any good anime :/ scores dont really matter on this website because everything is overrated as fuck. every show manages to average 7 unless its either niche or bad then its lower
Apr 25, 2017 7:06 PM
Jul 2018
Here's my opinion about them: i dont give a fuck and i will never give a fuck because i dont care people (besides my friends and parents) so y should i care about them
Apr 25, 2017 7:38 PM

Mar 2015
Here's the tricky things about number ratings, they aren't meant to be comparative. You can't take one score for one thing and something else with the same score and assume that you'll enjoy both equally as much because of their equal score. The number is nothing but a combination of every criteria that you use for scoring. A show may have gotten a 7 because of it's outstanding story and characters while another show may have gotten that 7 because it's visually and musically stunning, with the plot being nothing above average. Both of these shows have the same rating but it's not true to call them equally as "good."
Apr 25, 2017 7:52 PM

May 2015
lololol git off site if u like hate the animes becuz u r8 soso low? lolol why u got mean under 12
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 25, 2017 7:57 PM

Oct 2014
Try hards who don't know how to actually evaluate anime

HMU op I'll get you good ratings anyway
Apr 25, 2017 8:50 PM

Nov 2014
I mean like people in the low 4s

Phew... At least I'm in the high 4s. I though I might have turned el3te.

THAT MEANS I'M SAFE, RIGHT?
Apr 25, 2017 9:06 PM

Sep 2016
Very clear because they are quite critical. But for me, never give a rating below 6 points. It's because I am so enjoyed from every anime story I ever watch. This is just how you enjoy something. Besides, I really appreciate the process. Making stories and animations is not easy.
Apr 25, 2017 9:42 PM
Aug 2011
Excuse thefuck me?
I enjoy plenty anime.

I also drop a lot of shit but i've also completed way more than i've dropped.
Apr 25, 2017 9:44 PM

May 2016
Isn't it funny how 50% of this thread about "what we think of people that rate anime very low" is composed of comments telling people how they rate/should rate?

Btw I rate by using criterias. None of that ranking stuff XD
HyperLApr 26, 2017 10:28 AM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Apr 26, 2017 12:00 AM

Apr 2016
Why are people so preoccupied of others' ratings of an anime? Just let them be!

Maybe it wasn't their cup of tea, maybe it was just plain bad... who the frick cares anyway?

Just enjoy watching anime and leave the haters be.

Apr 26, 2017 12:40 AM

Aug 2015
I don't care how other people rate anime. If their average is really low then that shows how much they enjoy the higher scores better, has more 'impact' if that makes sense.
Apr 26, 2017 2:38 AM

Dec 2016
Meh i dont really care...different people have different taste or maybe he just really hates anime
Apr 26, 2017 4:36 AM

May 2015
Deknijff said:
why you got assume they don't enjoy anime

maybe they just have high standards or something for everything they watch or do

Idk, maybe it's because at that point they dislike 90% of what they watch.

Apr 26, 2017 4:45 AM

Jan 2016
If you rate anything low, it basically means you didn't enjoy that thing very much. And why would you do something that is not in your interest, aside from jobs and the like?
Apr 26, 2017 5:06 AM

Dec 2015
Well I have a mean score close to 5. 5 for me (and for mal rating guide) means average anime and 4 under average, it doesnt mean that I dont like anime. This thread is dumb af
HysenApr 26, 2017 7:07 AM
Apr 26, 2017 8:54 AM

Aug 2009
PoeticJustice said:
I mean like people in the low 4s Tbh, it is really just a lot of self-aggrandizing nonsense. There is only like 4 people who I have ever seen who can explain themselves.

If you don't enjoy anime, why bother watching it?

People have different tastes. It doesn't bother me if someone gave an anime I really loved a low score.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - Yesterday

24 by 23feanor »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

96 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Attack on Titan do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 1 hour ago

11 by phantom346 »»
18 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

72 by phantom346 »»
21 minutes ago

» What anime are the most "unapologetically anime"? (things you could never do in western cartoons)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 9

29 by AxiaG »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.