Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 24, 2017 2:21 AM

May 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Almost spit out my drink when Zero called themselves "sex slaves" at the gate.

Albus was being his cliched usual self. Rather just have Zero as the sole companion. Albus is a nuisance to me.

Nice outfit change for Zero.

It then segues into an episodic story arch with actual sex slaves and the beastfallen wolf that owns them.

A nice ending to the little story. Still the Wolf beast could have used Zero's true identity as a bargaining chip.

It's like that they try and create a setting where stealing, manipulation, thievery, snitching could be a thing. But in some situations that type of plot movement isn't used. To the point where you go, "how did wolf not extort them there?"

The other annoying thing is that the 3 slaves just go away. Where would they go? they were obviously taken from a village that accused them of witchcraft. They have nothing. glad you took them out of their situation. But now they're homeless.

It just seemed to bit of a contrived of a story arch. I Still enjoy the interactions between Zero and Youhei.
CirrisApr 24, 2017 2:30 AM
Apr 24, 2017 2:52 AM
Aug 2009
Actually if you read between the lines, the wolf doesnt actually believe that Zero's a witch. He seems to think she's a high class slave, evidenced by the fact that he doesnt believe that she's Youhei'e employer. At one point he even says thats its "a shit joke". I get where you're coming from though, I was thinking that they'd have to make another run for it as they get reported by wolf until I realized that wolf was an idiot halfway through the duel negotiations.

As for the slaves thing actually, again its reading between the lines. Wolf clearly insiniuated that he intimidated the village into giving him "witches" the village didnt want to but more likely were forced to give up the women because the couldn't really fight the wolf dude.

That fourth wall break though after the fight, really Zero?
clannadloverApr 24, 2017 2:57 AM
Apr 24, 2017 3:10 AM

Mar 2008
"I could die happy right now." You and me both bub. You and me both. =3
Apr 24, 2017 3:12 AM

Jan 2016
This episode was really funny though nothing really change except for Zero's clothes.
" If always say no, you will never say yes" Ryan Higa
Apr 24, 2017 4:08 AM

Jul 2016
Sad to say it, but I'm gonna drop this.

I'm rly disappointed because I thought this could've been good, and refreshing in a way. But apparently, the creators decided it'd be better to just go down the path of sex-related jokes, rather than focusing on making original or interesting chars. Frankly, with the amount of anime which did NOT have sexualized chars in the past, I just can't get my head around why we can't have an anime where I don't have to hear the words "hentai!" or "ecchi!"
Apr 24, 2017 4:11 AM

Aug 2015
I love the vibe this show gives off, even though the world they live in is pretty fucked up, most of the time it feels lighthearted and actually does well to do so. Also, the character chemistry gets better with every episode. Some jokes may be weird, but the way the characters behave even those unfitting jokes about sex etc. don't feel forced.
Chicken is love, chicken is life ~ ♥
Apr 24, 2017 4:13 AM

Aug 2013
decent episode
it's actually could be better without that little kid

wtf she's actually so small compared to the mercenary

OH NO MY FANTASIES
doujin when ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)👌
Apr 24, 2017 4:26 AM
Jan 2016
clannadlover said:
Actually if you read between the lines, the wolf doesnt actually believe that Zero's a witch. He seems to think she's a high class slave, evidenced by the fact that he doesnt believe that she's Youhei'e employer. At one point he even says thats its "a shit joke". I get where you're coming from though, I was thinking that they'd have to make another run for it as they get reported by wolf until I realized that wolf was an idiot halfway through the duel negotiations.

As for the slaves thing actually, again its reading between the lines. Wolf clearly insiniuated that he intimidated the village into giving him "witches" the village didnt want to but more likely were forced to give up the women because the couldn't really fight the wolf dude.

That fourth wall break though after the fight, really Zero?

He didn't believe him she was his employer because a witch would not employ a beastfallen (would rather take his head) nor would a beastfallen let a witch employ him (rather kill her just to be safe)
Apr 24, 2017 4:31 AM

Aug 2013
An OK episode.

Seems like he is getting used to being a bed.

Apr 24, 2017 5:03 AM

Aug 2008
Much better compared to last week's crap episode. The less blonde shit the better. Still, why sex slaves when regular slaves would be a good explanation enough...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 24, 2017 5:36 AM

Dec 2015
Zero is pretty attached to someone she just met only a while ago, I wonder if she knows something we don't.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 24, 2017 6:24 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I have a HUGE crush on Zero right now.....God I love her so much

This episode was great and I love how the relationship between her the Mercenary is developing, because the dynamic between them is so great that they just play off of each other so well man

The ending made me feel like Zero and the Mercenary were Albus' parents and they were telling their son to go back to bed xD but apart from all that stuff, the characterization and world building in this episode was decent and it was nice to learn a bit more about the Beastfallen

But dat tailor tho....My goodness he was such a creeper LOL
Apr 24, 2017 6:28 AM

Oct 2016
I lol'ed when she told the guards that she's a sex-slave. Funny coming from a Class-S loli mage!

I love the every bit of interaction here, Zero and Tiger-san look so cute together. I really hope their ship will sail!

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 24, 2017 6:29 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Cirris said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Almost spit out my drink when Zero called themselves "sex slaves" at the gate.

Albus was being his cliched usual self. Rather just have Zero as the sole companion. Albus is a nuisance to me.

Nice outfit change for Zero.

It then segues into an episodic story arch with actual sex slaves and the beastfallen wolf that owns them.

A nice ending to the little story. Still the Wolf beast could have used Zero's true identity as a bargaining chip.

It's like that they try and create a setting where stealing, manipulation, thievery, snitching could be a thing. But in some situations that type of plot movement isn't used. To the point where you go, "how did wolf not extort them there?"

The other annoying thing is that the 3 slaves just go away. Where would they go? they were obviously taken from a village that accused them of witchcraft. They have nothing. glad you took them out of their situation. But now they're homeless.

It just seemed to bit of a contrived of a story arch. I Still enjoy the interactions between Zero and Youhei.
So instead of giving them the chance to I dunno....Maybe start over in this city or some other town where nobody would know who they are, you expect Zero and the others to leave them in Slavery?

The fact that the town's guards heard about what happened in Episode 2 and didn't even know that Zero and the others were responsible is a testament to how the transfer of knowledge between different locations isn't all that convenient or accurate

And as for the whole extortion thing, it wouldn't make sense for the Wolf to use Zero being a witch against them because he is also going around boasting that he has witches with him, so it wouldn't make any sense for him to do so since it would also backfire on himself.....Yeah he could try and say that they aren't witches but like the man said himself, it's near to impossible to tell....Plus the second someone gets accused in this series of witchcraft, its over

Read between the lines people!

TokoyaApr 24, 2017 6:33 AM
Apr 24, 2017 6:33 AM

Dec 2014
Good episode, didn't realize this came out so early.

I found it hilarious how Zero called her and Albus 'Sex Slaves' at the gateway. XD

Lovely new outfit for Zero, she looks great in it. <3
That shopkeeper though. XD

Drunk Zero was awesome and little mister wolf guy got himself handed to for underestimating our Mercenary.
That final Zero smirk before sleeping on our Mercenary was just awesome.

Nothing much happened in terms of plot progression but it was still a fun episode and I'm looking forward to more.

Cirris said:

I assume the Wolf guy was unconscious at the point where Zero uses her powers which is why she tells our Mercenary to keep what she did a secret.
Apr 24, 2017 6:52 AM

Jul 2014
Why did this come out so early? Amazon stop fucking up my precious schedule like that
Apr 24, 2017 6:53 AM

Jan 2016
PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SPOILER.
ALBUS A TRAP OR NO??
Apr 24, 2017 7:14 AM

May 2016
Zero is soooo cute.
It it funny how they fight for Mercenary's fur
Apr 24, 2017 7:33 AM

Apr 2016
This anime is getting better with every episode. :) Zero is the best girl from spring 2017. So cute, and funny. That scene at the gate was the best lol

Apr 24, 2017 8:16 AM

Dec 2014
hmmm that joke of sex slaves.... haha...that furball is becoming so lovable as the episodes progress
Apr 24, 2017 8:20 AM
Jul 2018
Only a few minutes in and my sides were already gone when Zero said they were MC's sex slaves.

Overall a good episode with some fun interactions between Zero and Mercenary. I don't really care about the other girl.

Oh and Zero's smile at the end is perfect!

Apr 24, 2017 8:25 AM

Jan 2015
"Something's missing" the moment Zero change cloth from her old robe. :(
The Mercenary is become a "professional" person about saying Zero is his employer, Nice one.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Apr 24, 2017 8:26 AM

Jun 2015
Zero calling themselves sex slaves was funny. Humans can be treated just as bad as witches. The wolf had three humans as slaves. It was nice of Mercenary to save them. Zero looks great in her new outfit.
Apr 24, 2017 8:29 AM

Apr 2015
awesome worldbuilding. this episode remind me so much of Aiyoku no Eustia (a VN) but I know it wouldn't go in that direction like what this guy said:

I'm sad too you know! Is White Fox saving anime? How will KyoAnus respond to this?
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Apr 24, 2017 8:34 AM

Jun 2014
This episode was great all around, really loving this series so far! All the characters are super cute. I love the relationship Zero and Mercenary have already. The sex slaves joke was funny and Zero always sleeping on Mercenary is super fucking cute. Mercenary is also a surprisingly nice guy. Zero has best girl potential and her new outfit really suits her.
alpha_shadowApr 24, 2017 8:51 AM
:3
Apr 24, 2017 8:42 AM

Dec 2014
Tears of joy were shed by the merchant
Apr 24, 2017 8:54 AM
Dec 2014
For now on this guy will be called Wolf bastard because it doesn't matter if your human or beast all bastards existed in this world so far really liking this show the characters are originally and the plot is actually good.
Apr 24, 2017 9:24 AM

Jul 2014
Best episode so far, but it doesn't really feel like that's saying much at this point. Still, any improvement is good at this point after a disappointing second episode, so I hope it continues in this manner.
Apr 24, 2017 9:35 AM

Apr 2016
The blond boy is quite a burden to this show. Typical dumb shounen protagonist with a tiring voice. It pulls the show toward mediocrity while the two main characters at least showed a nice alchemy.

The ED is really nice, as cute as the 2 MCs, one of the best thing here. Music and art are beautiful. I wish they would do a spin-off with this kind of art.
Apr 24, 2017 9:42 AM

Sep 2013
Nice ep, zero getting a new outfit and some slave stuff.
Wolf was out of his league.

forexjammer said:
PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SPOILER.
ALBUS A TRAP OR NO??

Albus is a
Apr 24, 2017 10:46 AM

Apr 2011
Nice to see Zero in good clothing that a lot of people are staring at her.

I'm really liking her a lot.
Apr 24, 2017 10:50 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
When they arrives to the city, Zero said that them are Sexual slaves!!!! O__O Kekeke was fuuny !!!!!
Apr 24, 2017 11:21 AM

Feb 2015
I love the banter between the characters, it reminds me a little of Spice & Wolf. Its also great to see Zero is actually a good character and not some awful Tsundre. Great episode and quite funny as well.
Apr 24, 2017 11:48 AM

Feb 2016
Zarator said:
Sad to say it, but I'm gonna drop this.

I'm rly disappointed because I thought this could've been good, and refreshing in a way. But apparently, the creators decided it'd be better to just go down the path of sex-related jokes, rather than focusing on making original or interesting chars. Frankly, with the amount of anime which did NOT have sexualized chars in the past, I just can't get my head around why we can't have an anime where I don't have to hear the words "hentai!" or "ecchi!"

sorry but lot of anime considered Masterpieces does have aswell "Sexualized characters" and sex jokes and I didn't see anyone complaining about it, i mean, is not like the whole anime will consist of it, this episode was more of a "rest" for the characters, is okay to have fun once in a while

"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 24, 2017 11:53 AM

Feb 2016
this episode was quite funny, we got to know a bit more of our beast mercenary, (poor man, he just wants to live like a normal person but other beasts ruins it reputation)

that Merchant tho, he knows what's good ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
~Blackwall
Apr 24, 2017 12:06 PM

Jan 2015
To be honest, I really like this anime, Mercenary reminds me Guts for some reason, lol.
Apr 24, 2017 12:06 PM

Sep 2009
Lol these pervs. But really, what made that wolf guy think he could take on a 600 pound tiger guy? I mean, he might not know much about a tiger's muscle density, but the guy's size should speak for itself.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 24, 2017 12:13 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Albus is a terrible waste of space on this show. The Mercenary and Zero have a nice chemistry going on and all that stupid blonde bonehead can do is go on about his head.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 24, 2017 12:25 PM

Nov 2015
I rate this ep Mercenary/Zero.

Aside from that,
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2017 12:30 PM

Jan 2016
I absolutely adore Zero's personality! Fun episode as usual, Sex slave joke caught me off guard
Apr 24, 2017 12:35 PM

Sep 2014
I really like the comedy. Overall, an enjoyable episode.

From what we've seen so far, I think it's safe to say this series won't be everyone's cup of tea. Most people were probably expecting more focus on plot progression and an overarching plot. Instead, this episode once again has this episodic feel and focuses even more on world building and banter with basically no plot progression. To these people, these episodes are probably as good as fillers.

This has clearly been on the slow side of things and I wouldn't mind more plot progression either. But it's been fun so far, so as long as the execution holds up I'll probably be happy no matter which path it takes.
Apr 24, 2017 12:52 PM

Jul 2016
Jack_Corvus96 said:
sorry but lot of anime considered Masterpieces does have aswell "Sexualized characters" and sex jokes and I didn't see anyone complaining about it, i mean, is not like the whole anime will consist of it, this episode was more of a "rest" for the characters, is okay to have fun once in a while

The point is how you're having fun. I don't mind having comedy scenes in such a show - indeed, I believe having both comedy and drama scenes in such stories is absolutely required. But the point is, I really hoped the source of comedy would not have been, say, little blond kid shouting some crap like "This is impure!" at Zero sleeping atop Mercenary... or Mercenary getting flustered at Zero's antics.

On a similar vein, this episode rly ruined Mercenary's image for me. From the first two episodes, I had the hope that, for once, we'd have a different sort of MC from standard anime stories. Which basically meant two things:
1) An MC which is not necessarily nice but also has a pragmatic or blunt side, which does not reduce simply to have a blunt personality;
2) An MC who does not care about the "high-school-esque" crap we're used to in other shows, from fantasy shows like Grimgar to the SoL like Masamune-Kun no Revenge or Seiren
But this episode shot down both hopes hard. I was severely disappointed from the beginning of ep. 3, when he took Zero on her shoulder... just because? And as the episode went on, he kept acting less like a toughened mercenary and more like a flustered tsundere who pretends to be cold but actually has the heart of a middle-high schooler.

I'm not saying this show had to be like I imagined it. I'm just saying that I hoped it would've been different in these respects. In particular, I have been longing for a long time to see (in recent times, at least) a male MC who acts in a more mature or interesting way than a generic high-schooler. I was hoping Grimoire of Zero could be that different thing.

But it wasn't, hence why I'm dropping it.
Apr 24, 2017 12:53 PM
Jun 2015
Nice episode ,however liked the 2nd more than the 3rd .The "sex slave" joke was great . Idk why this show is so underrated ?!
MisanthropianApr 24, 2017 1:01 PM
Apr 24, 2017 1:14 PM

Jun 2014
Lol at that sex slave joke. Also, that store manager was creepy as fuck. Pretty decent episode, my only complaint is that I'd like to see some more story progression. I'd also like for blondie to kindly fuck off, he's pretty annoying for some reason.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 24, 2017 1:17 PM

Sep 2016
an episode of literally nothing happened and half assed sex jokes
this is the pinnacle of light novel guys

dropped
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 24, 2017 1:40 PM
May 2016
So far, it seems quite average. The jokes are ok, Albus is somewhat annoying, the concept is good but nothing I haven't seen before...
The interactions between Zero and Mercenary are quite enjoyable though
Apr 24, 2017 1:49 PM

Feb 2016
Zarator said:
Jack_Corvus96 said:

The point is how you're having fun. I don't mind having comedy scenes in such a show - indeed, I believe having both comedy and drama scenes in such stories is absolutely required. But the point is, I really hoped the source of comedy would not have been, say, little blond kid shouting some crap like "This is impure!" at Zero sleeping atop Mercenary... or Mercenary getting flustered at Zero's antics.

On a similar vein, this episode rly ruined Mercenary's image for me. From the first two episodes, I had the hope that, for once, we'd have a different sort of MC from standard anime stories. Which basically meant two things:
1) An MC which is not necessarily nice but also has a pragmatic or blunt side, which does not reduce simply to have a blunt personality;
2) An MC who does not care about the "high-school-esque" crap we're used to in other shows, from fantasy shows like Grimgar to the SoL like Masamune-Kun no Revenge or Seiren
But this episode shot down both hopes hard. I was severely disappointed from the beginning of ep. 3, when he took Zero on her shoulder... just because? And as the episode went on, he kept acting less like a toughened mercenary and more like a flustered tsundere who pretends to be cold but actually has the heart of a middle-high schooler.

I'm not saying this show had to be like I imagined it. I'm just saying that I hoped it would've been different in these respects. In particular, I have been longing for a long time to see (in recent times, at least) a male MC who acts in a more mature or interesting way than a generic high-schooler. I was hoping Grimoire of Zero could be that different thing.

But it wasn't, hence why I'm dropping it.

I think I've got your point But...

You have to take in consideration that he has 2 witches walking with him, in a city were they despise witches, would be bad to bring bad impressions on him, also he stated that other "beastfallens" acts bad and ruins his reputation as a Beastman, I think he had no choice but act "friendly" (just exactly at what happened on last episode, he brought attention and he got trashed away from town

as some people said above, its more like a filler, I don't think that he will act the same during the rest of the series (that would be really monotone) and not really enough to drop it, but well, if that's your will, who am I to stop you?
CrimsonWandererApr 24, 2017 1:53 PM
~Blackwall
Apr 24, 2017 1:59 PM
Jun 2015
GangsterCat said:
an episode of literally nothing happened and half assed sex jokes
this is the pinnacle of light novel guys

dropped

Dude i see you in every discussion and the word that you say the most is "dropped" xd
Apr 24, 2017 2:00 PM

Aug 2013
I'm enjoying this anime much more than I thought. Mostly because of Zero, but still.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 24, 2017 2:06 PM

Jul 2016
Jack_Corvus96 said:

I think I've got your point But...

You have to take in consideration that he has 2 witches walking with him, in a city were they despise witches, would be bad to bring bad impressions on him, also he stated that other "beastfallens" acts bad and ruins his reputation as a Beastman, I think he had no choice but act "friendly" (just exactly at what happened on last episode, he brought attention and he got trashed away from town

as some people said above, its more like a filler, I don't think that he will act the same during the rest of the series (that would be really monotone) and not really enough to drop it, but well, if that's your will, who am I to stop you?

You should stop taking the "filler" nature of the episode as an excuse. I could understand if I said, say, "there is no action". But when my criticism (which is the same as a few others, from what I can read on this thread) is "the comedy is bad and mostly about sex jokes", telling me that this is a filler is not a good answer. Heck, if anything, fillers are the sort of episodes where the anime should show us best how it conveys comedy or light-hearted situations, but if what we get instead is... this... then how is this show exactly any different from many other average light novel shows for teenagers, out there? It would be ridiculous to expect, say, a show like this (or like Grimgar, or many others) to go down this route for a few eps and then change its kind of comedy completely down the road.

For a comparison, check Little Witch Academia. The show provides plenty of filler material between the action and plot-heavy episodes. But the flavour of comedy (i.e. the ways they make us laugh) is the same in the filler episodes as in the others. In fact, I don't see why you'd expect anything different, really.

I rarely find myself in agreement with @GangsterCat and his (sorry if it's "her"? I have no idea) comments, but this time he really hit the nail on the head. This was light novel material in the most pejorative sense.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2017

150 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 2, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2017

64 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 2, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2017

62 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2017

89 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2017

82 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 10:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.