Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 16 Discussion


#1
Apr 23, 2017 8:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 106382
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The search for the next Word continues.

Episode had some bizarre moments like that strange creature Akko encountered. Also poor Sucy D: I kinda like how Akko is taking on more risks even when it looks hopeless.

The reindeer, snow, and Santa-like character gave me some Christmas feels this episode.
 
#2
Apr 23, 2017 9:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 7815
Ako is in a rush but it was an eventful episode.
Especially the part with Yeti was nice, he was a victim of the internet trolls.
Anyway Ako is following the way the greatness now it's a question of wether she will achieve it.
 
#3
Apr 23, 2017 2:36 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 102
It wasn't a broom but a vacuum.
 
#4
Apr 23, 2017 8:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 2711
The search for the next words begins. Poor Sucy, Lotta and her family were covered in that Greenman disease. Akko was lacking patience, but she managed to cure everyone. The scene with the Yeti was nice. Three more words to go.
 
#5
Apr 23, 2017 9:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 467
Lotte's mom got NTR'd on her debut episode.
 
#6
Apr 23, 2017 9:32 PM
Online
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 39517
Akko really needs to have patience lol
 
#7
Apr 23, 2017 9:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 2147
Good episode.

Nice to see Lotte's hometown. Didn't expect the Yeti to be an Artisan.
Akko saves the day.
Another word down.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

 
#8
Apr 23, 2017 9:42 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 16
Aversa said:
Especially the part with Yeti was nice, he was a victim of the internet trolls.


Too bad they already did that better 12 episodes ago.

I get why the Words exist, but I feel that their inclusion may have a negative effect of the show--well at least in this episode. I think that it was better when Akko growing as a character which subsequently unlocks a word than the other way around.
"You can't blame someone for being weak. But you can blame them for not trying to get stronger."
-Natayama, Miri
 
#9
Apr 23, 2017 9:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 1202
This episode felt like filler. Hopefully with only 9 more to go we don't get anymore like this.
 
Apr 23, 2017 9:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 5531
Akko kind of annoyed me in this episode with how damn impatient she was -_- But regardless, this episode was still nice (Even though Akko didn't really grow/learn much)

Only 3 more words to go
 
Apr 23, 2017 9:54 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 41
eXtacy67 said:
This episode felt like filler. Hopefully with only 9 more to go we don't get anymore like this.
Except it had her unlock one of the Words, which is really, really important and part of the main plot. As Ursula pointed out, you can't rush learning the Words, so it was inevitable that she'd uncover them in her day to day adventures.
 
Apr 23, 2017 9:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 41
Pencil_of_Noise said:
Aversa said:
Especially the part with Yeti was nice, he was a victim of the internet trolls.


Too bad they already did that better 12 episodes ago.

I get why the Words exist, but I feel that their inclusion may have a negative effect of the show--well at least in this episode. I think that it was better when Akko growing as a character which subsequently unlocks a word than the other way around.
Except that happened here too. Akko was already going on this trip regardless of if she discovered the Word along the way, and she didn't unlock the Word until the end of her mission to find an antidote. I don't see how you could think she unlocked the Word THEN grew as a character, since by definition she was only able to unlock the Word through her growth.
 
Apr 23, 2017 9:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 1202
Bugberry91 said:
eXtacy67 said:
This episode felt like filler. Hopefully with only 9 more to go we don't get anymore like this.
Except it had her unlock one of the Words, which is really, really important and part of the main plot. As Ursula pointed out, you can't rush learning the Words, so it was inevitable that she'd uncover them in her day to day adventures.


Still 90% of this episode was fluff.
 
Apr 23, 2017 10:00 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 102
Tokoya said:
Akko kind of annoyed me in this episode with how damn impatient she was -_- But regardless, this episode was still nice (Even though Akko didn't really grow/learn much)

Only 3 more words to go


Akko did learn to cool down after hearing the Yeti. The Yeti was very much like her so Akko decides to support him much like how Lotte and Ursula did and after seeing the reindeer leave her shows the consequences of her actions....again.

Also, Akko might be self aware how short it was.
 
Apr 23, 2017 10:30 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 16
Bugberry91 said:
Pencil_of_Noise said:


Too bad they already did that better 12 episodes ago.

I get why the Words exist, but I feel that their inclusion may have a negative effect of the show--well at least in this episode. I think that it was better when Akko growing as a character which subsequently unlocks a word than the other way around.
Except that happened here too. Akko was already going on this trip regardless of if she discovered the Word along the way, and she didn't unlock the Word until the end of her mission to find an antidote. I don't see how you could think she unlocked the Word THEN grew as a character, since by definition she was only able to unlock the Word through her growth.


The whole thing felt like the unlocking of the word was the solution to the problem, whereas the previous ones were unlocked due to a self-realization. Akko's previous Word unlockings were more focused in their messages; Akko had a desire which is then challenged and/or questioned by a trial. It could've been better if they slowed down the pacing of the episode so Akko feeling the need to rush is justified in that she urgently needs to fix the problem, and then realizing that she needs to chill in order to succeed would bring more strength to her development.
"You can't blame someone for being weak. But you can blame them for not trying to get stronger."
-Natayama, Miri
 
Apr 23, 2017 10:37 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 331
this is undoutedly trigger's best anime, for me at least.

i can't believe how much i'm enjoying this.

scene of akko alone in the snow was beautiful. once again this show demonstrates a remarkable ability to shift tones seamlessly within the course of an episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Apr 23, 2017 11:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 26
i hope the next episode won't be the same like this episode.
 
Apr 24, 2017 12:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3212
Even when it's just another "Filler", it still feels exciting to watch. Visiting Yeti's house, which seems that he's a shy "person". >_<
 
Apr 24, 2017 12:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 786
So I do believe the seven words that Akko has to learn are essentially born of lessons that tie to the Seven Heavenly Virtues. Like this episode she learned Patience while episodes before included Diligence, Courage and I think Humility.
Don't believe the hype.
 
Apr 24, 2017 1:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6428
For me it seems like Akko didn't really found by herself the 4th word because Ursula-sensei already gave it out (hint)
LOL @ Sucy she said to Akko what she's lacking something and Sucy said: "That narrows it down to just about everything."
4/5.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Apr 24, 2017 1:56 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1
As a finnish person I really liked this episode. Lots of references to finnish companies and culture. Only problem was that old lady next door was named Janne, which is really manly mens name.
 
Apr 24, 2017 3:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 23
A new word was found but the episode is kinda lame. Professor Croix scene was interesting though.
" If always say no, you will never say yes" Ryan Higa
 
Apr 24, 2017 3:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 45
Finally a Finland episode! Surströmming/Hapansilakka in karjalanpiirakka and the green Helsinki trams. But didn't Lotte's Swedish speaking family live in Åbo? Also the first time I saw Sami people in anime. And the Moomin reference: Little My's older sister Mymlan as "Janne".

Erittäin hyvä jakso!
Modified by Teisatsu, Apr 24, 2017 7:07 AM
 
Apr 24, 2017 3:33 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 117
this


Akko is so gullible lmao
In this pace,Lotte or even Sucy might discover who really is Shiny Chariot faster than her lol
Modified by kuromi_hideaki, Apr 24, 2017 3:36 AM
 
Apr 24, 2017 3:51 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 1930
It was a pretty good episode especially the snow walking scene. I think this might have worked better as a two part arc considering its theme was about patience. I don't blame the studio for the brisk pacing when we have three words to go now and only 9 episodes left. It means probably 2-3 episodes for the next two words and the rest of the episodes will be dedicated to the final word and the finale.
 
Apr 24, 2017 3:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 5703
First we had a dragon who plays the stock market and now we have an artisan yeti who is bummed out by haters. I really do love the ridiculous direction LWA goes when it comes to mythical beasts.
 
Apr 24, 2017 4:00 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 162
Although not exciting as the revelation if the other words, I'm glad that the fourth has been revealed
This felt more like a filler episode, but whatever
 
Apr 24, 2017 4:19 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 50
eXtacy67 said:
This episode felt like filler. Hopefully with only 9 more to go we don't get anymore like this.


Saw the names of the 3 future episodes
One Will be aboout Amanda since it's called Amanda and the Holy Grail
And one is called Cavendish (19th)
Don't know the 17th name, forgot
I think that after these episodes main plot kicks in again, finale 😊 be patient!
 
Apr 24, 2017 4:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 179
My actual reaction
1st phase- Oh, so we're going to Lotte's house and meet her family. That's nice, a breather from all the shit hitting the fan. Finally we get some more character develo...

2nd phase- HOLY SHIT!! When did Little Witch Academia end and BIOHAZARD (Resident Evil) begin?!?!?! Everyone's turning into MOSS! $#@%ing MOSS! We have moss creatures who drown you to death, and they look a lot more merciful compared to THIS!

Overall- 10/10

This time I really didn't see the main point of the episode, which was patience, coming, so good on you guys. You're finally getting the hang of this (Why am I feeling like there was a three act structure here?) We get more insight into the past, though brief, of Chariot and Croix. But the main selling point was when Biohazard started. Time is of the essence and Akko needs to make the antidote asap, but as it turns out, to get each of them, patience is required (Though technically, snow can only fall when energy is transferred to the snow to make it fall, and berries are technically made to fall from wind, be it naturally or through a sneeze. If that isn't natural enough, you need to revise on your Natural Biology).
But one of my favourite moments has to be when

  1. The reindeer. He's a real grinch, especially at dire times like this. He should be called "#@$% you, the Reindeer".

  2. Akko threw the yeti's phone and (basically) say, "Haters keep hatin', don't give two $#!% to that" to motivate him, and

  3. When Akko was all alone in the snow, thinking to herself that she'll let someone else do it, until she gets a flash of inspiration from her friends and Chariot, encouraging her to stride onwards (until #@$% you, the Reindeer comes in) And that should make you ask yourself,

    "If I can't do it, (Given that they care/try at all) will anyone else?


(Wait, that's three)

Oh, I forgot to mention the OTHER favourite part; when Akko pushed Lotte's dad and had him smooch Miss Jannes (At the time, they were MOSS statues, so they didn't know), Lotte's mom came out (STILL in MOSS form) and pimp-smacked her husband out.
It's like that scene from Back to the Future 3, when Doc. Brown ran to the water hole in a coma, when it turned out to be his reflexes.
Modified by SirKnight007, Apr 24, 2017 4:29 AM
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
 
Apr 24, 2017 4:26 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 50
edgeofultima said:
i hope the next episode won't be the same like this episode.

Seeing the names of 3 future episodes, I think they will

17th (forgot the name)
18th Amanda and the Holy Grail
19th Cavendish

And I guess that after that the finale kicks in, the last word that even Ursula doesn'to know, with main plot and villain Croix and badass Ursula and emotional battle and that fire that Akko saw in episode 11
 
Apr 24, 2017 4:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 1419
So, we had a dragon who was a pro at the stock market, and now we have a yeti whose skills were brought into question by the crappy side of the internet, the trolls.

So it was a good thing Akko threw his phone away and told him to just ignore the haters and continue making stuff he excels at. =)

Overall, Akko has now unlocked the fourth magic words in this fun episode. I had to laugh at Lotte's parents though. Akko did nudge Lotte's father into the neighbour into a kissing pose and just before the moss stopped their movements, Lotte's mother gave the big guy a good whack on his head. XD

Only three more magic words to go now. =)
 
Apr 24, 2017 5:29 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 41
eXtacy67 said:
Bugberry91 said:
Except it had her unlock one of the Words, which is really, really important and part of the main plot. As Ursula pointed out, you can't rush learning the Words, so it was inevitable that she'd uncover them in her day to day adventures.


Still 90% of this episode was fluff.
Or 90% of the episode was just the events of the episode that led to the resolution. Just because an episode isn't constantly giving lore and other majorly important information doesn't make it "filler". This was also a worldbuiilding episode, since this is also the first time we've seen a presumably typical magical family. The whole premise of discovering the Words is that it's something that takes time, not something that you can rush into in a big climactic journey or confrontation. It's the daily trials that shape people.
 
Apr 24, 2017 5:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1316
I thought we were done with the useless episodes :|

This episode has consequences of a very dark tone yet it was all solved in a rather cartoonish way, despite feeling serious for brief seconds... something that trivializes the whole point of the development shown.

Insert plague that requires literally 2000 things to align, on top of the 3 main characters being the only ones not affected (initially), and apparently no one else in town as well. Feels just a bit too silly for me at this point.

Then we have Croix that, despite trying to kill Ursula / Chariot last episode, is still allowed to have her base of operations at Luna Nova (or very close). Why isn't Ursula telling the main committee or at least Akko that she's bad news and should stay away from her? Lastly, Lotte and Sucy don't seem very interested at the fact that Akko is apparently a chosen one of sorts (considering just how incompetent she is regarding magic as a whole).

Meh. Hope next episodes are better.
Mirai Nikki is TRASH
Angel Beats is horrible.
Charlotte is a dumpster fire.
Shinsekai Yori has no characters.
Oreimo's S2 specials don't actually exist.

IM NOT AN ELITIST

I live to see the day where Hidamari Sketch or Little Witch Academia get another season.
 
Apr 24, 2017 5:41 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 41
Pencil_of_Noise said:
Bugberry91 said:
Except that happened here too. Akko was already going on this trip regardless of if she discovered the Word along the way, and she didn't unlock the Word until the end of her mission to find an antidote. I don't see how you could think she unlocked the Word THEN grew as a character, since by definition she was only able to unlock the Word through her growth.


The whole thing felt like the unlocking of the word was the solution to the problem, whereas the previous ones were unlocked due to a self-realization. Akko's previous Word unlockings were more focused in their messages; Akko had a desire which is then challenged and/or questioned by a trial. It could've been better if they slowed down the pacing of the episode so Akko feeling the need to rush is justified in that she urgently needs to fix the problem, and then realizing that she needs to chill in order to succeed would bring more strength to her development.
She had her self-realization while trying to solve this problem, she didn't unlock the word specifically with the intent to solve the problem. The only time unlocking a Word HASN'T been the solution to a problem was the second, both the Cockatrice and Samhain Festival Words were problems that she unlocked the Word as she was dealing with, just like in this episode. They did emphasize Akko's impatience this episode, from her intolerance in the sauna to her dealing with the Yeti, to the many other ingredients that took patience, like the berries and the reindeer droppings. At no point in this episode, as you seem to think, was it implied to stated that Akko needed to unlock the Word to solve the problem, the flash of understanding came to her at her time of need just like it did with every other word. It actually made more sense in this episode that she would know to say the Word since Ursula told her about them, where as the previous times it felt odd that she would say those Words at those times since she didn't know their significance.
 
Apr 24, 2017 5:42 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 41
edgeofultima said:
i hope the next episode won't be the same like this episode.
I want more like this. Getting to see other magical communities, as well as hanging out with Lotte and Sucy, since it seems they don't get involved much when major plot stuff happens which is odd.
 
Apr 24, 2017 5:45 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 131
Nice episode nothing great but enjoyable, we got little bit of backstory of charlot.
Also i just realised what last word is about, friendship, charlot and this other girl (can remamber her name) prodably started fighting and thats why she never found last word
 
Apr 24, 2017 5:59 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 41
Infatuate said:
I thought we were done with the useless episodes :|

This episode has consequences of a very dark tone yet it was all solved in a rather cartoonish way, despite feeling serious for brief seconds... something that trivializes the whole point of the development shown.

Insert plague that requires literally 2000 things to align, on top of the 3 main characters being the only ones not affected (initially), and apparently no one else in town as well. Feels just a bit too silly for me at this point.

Then we have Croix that, despite trying to kill Ursula / Chariot last episode, is still allowed to have her base of operations at Luna Nova (or very close). Why isn't Ursula telling the main committee or at least Akko that she's bad news and should stay away from her? Lastly, Lotte and Sucy don't seem very interested at the fact that Akko is apparently a chosen one of sorts (considering just how incompetent she is regarding magic as a whole).

Meh. Hope next episodes are better.
You don't need dire, dark stakes to have an important lesson. This wasn't a useless episode, far from it. Not only did Akko unlock a Word, we also met Lotte's family and saw a typical magical family for the first time.

The other locals weren't affected by the plague because they didn't have contact with the pies, and the other locals couldn't help because none of them were Witch families with the means or understanding to cure it, since the antidote book said you need to contact your local witch. We've had plenty of other silly episodes with important lessons, so I don't see why this stands out to you.

If Ursula tried ratting out Croix, Croix could easily do the same to her identity as Chariot, and it's fairly easy to see at this point that Croix has more credibility. Lotte and Sucy haven't seen what Akko has seen, so they probably aren't able to grasp the importance of her task.
 
Apr 24, 2017 6:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 131
Such a nice episode, I really enjoyed it. 4/5
I kinda wish there is an episode where they visit Sucy's house now. xD

 
Apr 24, 2017 6:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1316
Bugberry91 said:
Infatuate said:
I thought we were done with the useless episodes :|

This episode has consequences of a very dark tone yet it was all solved in a rather cartoonish way, despite feeling serious for brief seconds... something that trivializes the whole point of the development shown.

Insert plague that requires literally 2000 things to align, on top of the 3 main characters being the only ones not affected (initially), and apparently no one else in town as well. Feels just a bit too silly for me at this point.

Then we have Croix that, despite trying to kill Ursula / Chariot last episode, is still allowed to have her base of operations at Luna Nova (or very close). Why isn't Ursula telling the main committee or at least Akko that she's bad news and should stay away from her? Lastly, Lotte and Sucy don't seem very interested at the fact that Akko is apparently a chosen one of sorts (considering just how incompetent she is regarding magic as a whole).

Meh. Hope next episodes are better.
You don't need dire, dark stakes to have an important lesson. This wasn't a useless episode, far from it. Not only did Akko unlock a Word, we also met Lotte's family and saw a typical magical family for the first time.

The other locals weren't affected by the plague because they didn't have contact with the pies, and the other locals couldn't help because none of them were Witch families with the means or understanding to cure it, since the antidote book said you need to contact your local witch. We've had plenty of other silly episodes with important lessons, so I don't see why this stands out to you.

If Ursula tried ratting out Croix, Croix could easily do the same to her identity as Chariot, and it's fairly easy to see at this point that Croix has more credibility. Lotte and Sucy haven't seen what Akko has seen, so they probably aren't able to grasp the importance of her task.

That sounds reasonable, sort of. At least in the realm of assumptions it is.

Mirai Nikki is TRASH
Angel Beats is horrible.
Charlotte is a dumpster fire.
Shinsekai Yori has no characters.
Oreimo's S2 specials don't actually exist.

IM NOT AN ELITIST

I live to see the day where Hidamari Sketch or Little Witch Academia get another season.
 
Apr 24, 2017 6:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 917
Andzl said:
Saw the names of the 3 future episodes
One Will be aboout Amanda since it's called Amanda and the Holy Grail
And one is called Cavendish (19th)
Don't know the 17th name, forgot
I think that after these episodes main plot kicks in again, finale 😊 be patient!
Ah man ep 19 can't come fast enough! I've wanted to see them develop Diana and her relationship with Akko for quite a while, a sentiment only made stronger by the new OP with Diana/Akko visuals
Modified by gust11, Apr 24, 2017 6:46 AM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
 
Apr 24, 2017 7:29 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1566
Figured after the last couple of episodes, we need a little cool down episode, and that is what we got even though we still advance the plot. Who knows we might have all 7 words in the next 3 episodes.

Great to meet Lotte's family, her parents are adorable. I don't know who is more adorable, the dad or the mom.

And who knew Sucy's line about Akko meeting Santa Clause would foreshadow the episode, holly crap Santa Clause, Lotte knew Santa Clause all this time. And Akko just having a stare contest with the reindeer, that is adorable.

Though she had a small role, Sucy really shined in the episode, I love how she was shaking the hand and saying "please to meet you" to the neighbor even though she was a plant zombie. Sucy she has come a long way, she is much more friendlier than she used to be, Akko has really rubbed off on her.

The poor Yeti doing his best, and Akko kept getting on his case, Akko was acting like Finnelan. But she apologized so that was nice.

When Akko was feeling pressure of everyone depending on her, well that is a normal day for Diana. The one thing Akko that Diana doesn't, is she has her friends to have her back, and here they taking out of commission, so she is on her own, a character moment?

Anyway good episode, Lotte parents were adorable, I love to meet some of the other characters parents, but we will see.

Modified by blfan, Apr 24, 2017 7:35 AM
 
Apr 24, 2017 7:36 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 102
blfan said:
Figured after the last couple of episodes, we need a little cool down episode, and that is what we got even though we still advance the plot. Who knows we might have all 7 words in the next 3 episodes.

Great to meet Lotte's family, her parents are adorable. I don't know who is more adorable, the dad or the mom.

And who knew Sucy's line about Akko meeting Santa Clause would foreshadow the episode, holly crap Santa Clause, Lotte knew Santa Clause all this time. And Akko just having a stare contest with the reindeer, that is adorable.

Though she had a small role, Sucy really shined in the episode, I love how she was shaking the hand and saying "please to meet you" to the neighbor even though she was a plant zombie. Sucy she has come a long way, she is much more friendlier than she used to be, Akko has really rubbed off on her.

The poor Yeti doing his best, and Akko kept getting on his case, Akko was acting like Finnelan. But she apologized so that was nice.

When Akko was feeling pressure of everyone depending on her, well that is a normal day for Diana. The one thing Akko that Diana doesn't, is she has her friends to have her back, and here they taking out of commission, so she is on her own, a character moment?

Anyway good episode, Lotte parents were adorable, I love to meet some of the other characters parents, but we will see.



The episode not only serves to advance the plot but also serves for the audience to be patient and notice the subtle changes Akko has made. Compared the previous episodes with this one and find out how much Akko has changed.
 
Apr 24, 2017 7:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 45
Stark700 said:
The reindeer, snow, and Santa-like character gave me some Christmas feels this episode.


blfan said:
And who knew Sucy's line about Akko meeting Santa Clause would foreshadow the episode, holly crap Santa Clause, Lotte knew Santa Clause all this time. And Akko just having a stare contest with the reindeer, that is adorable.


I'm still not convinced that Nicholas, the man in the Sami clothes, was anything other than just an ordinary Sami man. There also was a scene with a young boy with the same blue clothes (Gákti) as Nicholas, before we met him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A1kti
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Winds_hat
 
Apr 24, 2017 8:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 12814
Unlike a lot of people here, I enjoyed this episode a lot
 
Apr 24, 2017 9:23 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 411
Ersmark said:
Stark700 said:
The reindeer, snow, and Santa-like character gave me some Christmas feels this episode.


blfan said:
And who knew Sucy's line about Akko meeting Santa Clause would foreshadow the episode, holly crap Santa Clause, Lotte knew Santa Clause all this time. And Akko just having a stare contest with the reindeer, that is adorable.


I'm still not convinced that Nicholas, the man in the Sami clothes, was anything other than just an ordinary Sami man. There also was a scene with a young boy with the same blue clothes (Gákti) as Nicholas, before we met him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A1kti
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Winds_hat

You do know that "Saint Nicholas" is also a name for Santa Claus, right? Due to the big number of ways Nicholas can be written, it's surely not a coincidence.

Reindeers also doesn't have red nose (Usually) and Sami people are sometimes linked with Santa Claus, especially their clothes.
 
Apr 24, 2017 9:29 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1566
Andzl said:
edgeofultima said:
i hope the next episode won't be the same like this episode.

Seeing the names of 3 future episodes, I think they will

17th (forgot the name)
18th Amanda and the Holy Grail
19th Cavendish

And I guess that after that the finale kicks in, the last word that even Ursula doesn'to know, with main plot and villain Croix and badass Ursula and emotional battle and that fire that Akko saw in episode 11


Actually Amanda and the Holly Grail is episode 17, episode 18 is titled StanWarship which many assume is a Constanze episode.
 
Apr 24, 2017 11:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 45
Cetais said:
Ersmark said:




I'm still not convinced that Nicholas, the man in the Sami clothes, was anything other than just an ordinary Sami man. There also was a scene with a young boy with the same blue clothes (Gákti) as Nicholas, before we met him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A1kti
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Winds_hat

You do know that "Saint Nicholas" is also a name for Santa Claus, right? Due to the big number of ways Nicholas can be written, it's surely not a coincidence.

Reindeers also doesn't have red nose (Usually) and Sami people are sometimes linked with Santa Claus, especially their clothes.


I know that the name Nicholas can be associated to Santa Claus in some countries, but the Swedish/Finnish equivalent Niklas has no such such associations. It's just a name among others. I personally think that it's too far-fetched to force a Santa connection here. But anyone is free to believe whatever they want.

I have also never ever heard of any links between the Sami and Santa, here in my two homelands Sweden and Finland. But the creators really did a good job with the Sami clothes, and I'm really happy to see our proud ingenious Nordic people in an japanese anime. So, when can we see the Ainu people speaking Ainu language in an anime? :)
 
Apr 24, 2017 12:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 225
I like Lotte's Mom Design
 
Apr 24, 2017 12:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 4201
Akko patience is a virtue so chill
 
Apr 24, 2017 2:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 165
@Pencil_of_Noise @Infatuate @evyyy @eXtacy67 @WaifuNationz
People seem to forget the overall theme that this show has going on in the background and how this episode still followed it.
There is this whole thing with magic dying out and technology coming in as a replacement. In this episode, it was shown how Lotte's shop has now changed with the times and stopped focusing on selling magic items. The lack of skillful mages in the area (and actually the whole world while we're at it, it's just a symbolic thing that it was this place and not another) left Akko to deal with this situation in the end. First she gets help from Lotte and Sucy, which was supposed to show how they're gonna get involved in Akko's discoveries more directly from now on.
When Akko meets the Yeti, he is simply bummed out and lost all passion for his craft. Why? Because technology made him this way. In the previous episodes we got to see how great technology is and how it'll help the mage world, but at severe costs. Now we see it having more and more negative effect, because previously the Yeti probably wouldn't have to deal with all of it. In the era of magic, he would (and probably was) be more appreciated and never receive this kind of negativity. Akko helped him understand that he doesn't have to abandon the past by switching to the new, how technology isn't a thing he should worry about, as well as hate which she had to deal with before as well.
Croix also showed how the strongest source of magic energy is anger in one of the scenes here, which supports my claim. We already saw that Croix is most likely the antagonist, but now we see that technology is pretty bad in its own right as well, not only in the hands of Croix.
As she was getting back she was contemplating giving up, the one that told her that was her past self, the one that couldn't cast a single spell and didn't have the Shiny Rod or her friends. But thankfully, those people tell her that she has to carry on with her duty to become better, and finally she sees the person she's been striving to be like: Shiny Chariot, telling her the same thing, so she picks herself back up. She gets saved, goes back, understands the overall lesson of being patient (though quickly forgets it as she usually would) and unlocks a new word.
That was long. I still probably missed a lot. This episode had a lot of substance, it's just that it was subtle.
Modified by Werty800, Apr 24, 2017 2:45 PM
 
Top
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »