Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 22, 2017 1:24 AM

Oct 2014
I very rarely rewatch any anime and when I do it's usually something short. When I tell people this the reactions seem to vary, often saying things like "what a shame", "not even your favourites?", or even "what's the point of watching if you're not going to revisit the best ones?". I've also heard that you should rewatch an anime before writing a review on it, but when I write reviews I generally don't rewatch in preparation. A lot of my enjoyment comes from after I complete the anime and I'm able to reflect on it and possibly recommend it to others so it seems inefficient to watch the same things multiple times.

Do you look down on people who don't rewatch? Are there any anime you think are intended to be watched more than once or can you pick up on everything important if you pay enough attention? Do you consider there to be any kind of obligation to watch your favourites more than once? If they're really long would that make you more or less likely to rewatch them?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 22, 2017 1:28 AM

Aug 2014
Same
Don't put too much weight on such comments, it's just their perspective of enjoyment, if you enjoy it like you do there's no problem with it. There are anime that are better to rewatch to make sure you understood everyhing, Steins;Gate for example, but for the most part, the first experience with it counts more than a hundred rewatches. I personally don't rewatch anything, if I want to refresh my mind about some series I'll go look for specific scenes, but rewatching an entire anime? No thanks, takes too much time away. I do reread some manga though.
Ruka desu.
Apr 22, 2017 1:29 AM
Jul 2018
Not rewatching is not the end of the world or anything. I do think that rewatching a show is good. Because now that you know the entire plot you might have a very understanding of the first episodes, or find some hidden clues that foreshadow plot twists, or even find out completely new things. Some anime have different rewatch value of course. Madoka Magica was recommended to be rewatched even by the director, and I can definitely confirm rewatching it is a great experience.
Anyways, I think rewatching everything is quite silly, but rewatching something you like will probably be fun and you'll discover new things about that anime.
Apr 22, 2017 1:32 AM

Sep 2014
Well it definitely shouldn't be looked down upon, everyone does their own thing, I don't really even know why anyone would do that. I just rewatch shows I found really enjoyable and shows I know I won't be disappointed if I rewatch it.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Apr 22, 2017 1:36 AM

Apr 2017
I never got bored with it... Cause I tried the ways possible by recapping set of series on my own.. Still Satisfied.. :))

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 22, 2017 1:37 AM

Jul 2015
i dont rewatch anime
just some of my fav scenes
Apr 22, 2017 1:42 AM
Sep 2016
if you don't rewatch an anime the chances are that you have missed or forgotten some parts of the anime, and i suppose that's the reason why some people look down on a person who doesn't rewatch anime.
Apr 22, 2017 1:50 AM
Nov 2013
I usually just rewatch animes when I am with a friend. It's pretty cool how my experience with an anime evolves when someone else is there to comment and bring their own opinions to the table. Don't be like some annoying people I know and spoil things for the other person while yall are watching since it 100% ruins the experience for both you and the other person. Otherwise, I just watch random clips of different scenes on youtube just for the heck of it.
Apr 22, 2017 1:52 AM

Aug 2015
I dont see the problem with never rewatching anime, but i do it. It's nice rewatching good anime. I rewatch my favourites, movies and other good anime. But i see why people don't at the same time, they just want to watch something different and dont have time for rewatching anime. or want to add more to their list on here. I dont think it's looked down apon
Apr 22, 2017 2:03 AM

Dec 2016
There's no problem, if you understand and enjoy the show you watch.

I rewatch an anime that makes my mind blow up and when it is very confusing. Like animes with mystery such as Durarara, Baccano, etc.

"League sucks, HAHA!"
Apr 22, 2017 2:12 AM

Feb 2016
I've also heard that you should rewatch an anime before writing a review on it, but when I write reviews I generally don't rewatch in preparation.

To me, that's how it should be. You shouldn't rewatch it and then review it, you should watch it (first experience) and then review it. The impact of a series isn't exactly going to be the same a 2nd time around, especially if you remember nearly every detail or just a fair chunk even. Also it's not like others are going to generally rewatch it, so why should you?

Maybe if you're some like professional IGN reviewer where you might be doing a lenghty page/multi-page review, breaking the series down by every single grain there is, lol.

Do you look down on people who don't rewatch?

No... I don't down on others for any reason. Don't really see any merit in it.

Are there any anime you think are intended to be watched more than once or can you pick up on everything important if you pay enough attention?

Maybe, but not particularly. What exactly would make a anime have more rewatch value than the other? I think people just rewatch if it's a favorite of theirs or they want to revisit it and go through the experience again.

Do you consider there to be any kind of obligation to watch your favourites more than once?

No.

If they're really long would that make you more or less likely to rewatch them?

Less likely, but I still would if I really wanted to rewatch whatever anime.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Apr 22, 2017 2:16 AM

Mar 2013
Answering in order,

1 No, I don't look down on them because I myself don't like the concept of rewatching that much, specially when it comes to series. I'd rather experience new stuff. However,
2 Yes, there are. Shows like Baccano! with its disjointed narrative concerning so many characters or FLCL with its all round hyperactive bizarreness were hard to appreciate for me at first watch because I tend to lose focus. I think shows like these expect you to watch it more than once in order to get the best out of them.
3 Not exactly, but it's a nice thing to do when a few years since your first watch have passed and you feel nostalgic. Maybe you start to ponder on why a certain show was among your favorites in the past so you come back to it and rediscover what made it special in the first place. Things like that are what make the rewatching experience so great to some people.
4 It depends on the individual mindset. Personally I'd rewatch a 26 episode anime if I really feel like it but a 39 episode series or longer already seems like too much a commitment.
Apr 22, 2017 2:19 AM
Jul 2018
Not really I suppose.

I do tend to rewatch once in a while, but that's fewer series. But when it comes to others it all depends, either if I forget about it or its been a long ass gap between the last time I watched it and the present time.
Apr 22, 2017 3:02 AM

Jul 2013
I only rewatch animes who I really, really like. And there are cases when I don't rewatch even the ones I like a lot (apart of some scenes in Youtube from time to time).

That being said, looking down on people for not rewatch or rewatch series it's just silly.
Apr 22, 2017 3:43 AM

Jul 2013
I've never rewatched anime nor I think I ever will. Even those that I love. I rewatch scenes though but in youtube and not the whole episode.
Apr 22, 2017 5:07 AM

Aug 2014
There isn't, people like to move forward and have new experiences, rather than looking back too often and repeating things they've done before. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with rewatching, as it can give you a deeper enjoyment of the show, but regardlessly, either way is fine.
Apr 22, 2017 5:59 AM

Apr 2011
There is no reason to waste time watching something you've already watched, when you could waste that time watching something you've never watched.
Apr 22, 2017 6:34 AM

Dec 2015
No need to re-watch something you don't really feel like watching again.
Apr 22, 2017 6:38 AM

Aug 2016
I don't usually rewatch anything unless I need them to remember a prequel before watching a sequel or when the show just re airs on tv and I have the time to watch it again at that timeslot.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Apr 22, 2017 6:38 AM

Nov 2016
Well I don't like rewatching Animes which I watched in the past. I only rewatched Dragon ball but the Kai version.

Also right now I am reading the Naruto Manga again after I completed it in 2015..
Apr 22, 2017 6:39 AM

Apr 2016
If i rewatch normal movies and TV series + "Re-playing" games, then i really don't see problem in rewatching anime, even those i give low score.
Apr 22, 2017 9:22 AM

Aug 2015
Same here, I rarely re-watch animes even if it is one of my favourites. I guess I just don't have the time to go and rewatch something I've already watched when I could be using that time instead to watch something different or new.
I don't see the problem. :)
Apr 22, 2017 9:23 AM

Jun 2015
For someone who is seemingly obsessed with filling his list with crap, rewatching doesn't count towards the +1 completed goal.
Apr 22, 2017 10:05 AM
Jan 2016
I don't think there's anything strange or wrong about not rewatching, but I myself like to revisit some series from time to time. SAO is probably the biggest offender here, I will probably never get tired of the Aincrad arc.
Apr 22, 2017 10:11 AM

Feb 2010
I do think it's a shame never to rewatch your very favorites. I don't rewatch very much at all, but sometimes it can be vital for reaffirming my love for anime or just providing myself with some top-tier enjoyment when I'm starved for it after watching a bunch of mediocre stuff. Some of my best viewing experiences have been rewatches and it really is a ver good feeling when you end up liking a beloved show even more after going through it again with a few years of distance. Very satisfying. Almost all my favorites have been rewatched, at least the shorter ones and I don't regret a single minute spent on those rewatches.

But yeah, super long stuff I tend to shy away from rewatching because it would just prevent me from watching anything new for too long and I'm still too curious about new stuff to commit to something like that. One day I will rewatch LOGH, but it's probably still gonna be a while. It's usually 2-cour stuff that I rewatch. Cowboy Bebop, Darker Than Black, Spice and Wolf etc.. A bunch of my rewatches are also from when I try to get friends into anime or a specific series so I watch it with them. Or when a new season gets announced after some while and I rewatch the first (like with Durarara). The amount of rewatches I did on my own and without any particular trigger I can probably count on one hand. I just generally seek out new experiences more than old ones. I can still rewatch my favorites when I'm 50 or 60, right now is the time where I want to explore and find as many new favorites as possible.

But hey, I just realized OP has rewatched more than I have (51 entries compared to my 44) so we probably just have different ideas of what 'almost never' means. We probably have a pretty similar philosophy.

I don't entirely get the people who have seen like 50 shows but 30 of them over 10 times. I mean it's fine to be in love with your favorites but do they have no curiosity that drives them to watch new stuff? I could never get that complacent when I only have a small amount of shows I've seen. Chances are there are tons of shows out there you'd like more than anything you've already seen. But it is always easier/safer to rewatch something where you already know exactly how much you'll enjoy it. But it's no substitute for that amazing feeling when you're discovering a new favorite, at least for me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 22, 2017 10:13 AM
Apr 2011
It's your choice to do so. If you don't like rewatching anime, then don't.
Apr 22, 2017 10:37 AM
Feb 2016
People who never rewatch should be burnt at the stake. Luckily, we already have such laws implemented so I do not need to worry.

Do you look down on people who don't rewatch?
I disdain them greatly, I consider them subhuman.

Do you consider there to be any kind of obligation to watch your favourites more than once?
Yes, not doing so would dishonour your family and the Anime police would have to come in and take you away for your public execution.

If they're really long would that make you more or less likely to rewatch them?
Such blasphemy should not even be considered.
Apr 22, 2017 10:39 AM

Oct 2014
Pullman said:
But hey, I just realized OP has rewatched more than I have (51 entries compared to my 44) so we probably just have different ideas of what 'almost never' means. We probably have a pretty similar philosophy.
I use rewatches to count my time spent fansubbing anime. Of those 51 rewatches 33 of them are from fansubbing.
Apr 22, 2017 10:42 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
yes, how else are you supposed to fap?

OH.. YOU MEANT THE WHOLE SERIES?

nothing...

i've only re-watched like 3 anime (online)
Apr 22, 2017 10:48 AM

Feb 2010
zombie_pegasus said:
Pullman said:
I use rewatches to count my time spent fansubbing anime. Of those 51 rewatches 33 of them are from fansubbing.

I see, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Our completed entried/rewatched entries ratio is more similar then.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 22, 2017 11:24 AM

Apr 2014
Nope, I don't want to rewatch something what I've already seen. I'd just hate myself for already knowing what is gonna happen.
Apr 22, 2017 11:28 AM
Jul 2009
Nah rewatching a show inherently devalues it by removing yourself from the intended viewing environment: not knowing what's going to happen next.
On average it's better to try new shows. There is some merit in rewatching though, especially since there's nothing good airing right now afaik.
Some things do benefit from a second look. Fight Club is the classic example. Madoka Magica is a completely different show the second time through, though it's not necessarily as good.
The other thing to keep in mind is that after years have passed you grow as a person and you'll react to shows differently. I rewatched Gurren Lagann five years after my first viewing and I was shocked to find out it was actually better the second time because I was old enough to understand the characters and themes better.

Ultimately, rewatching is an ineffective use of your time but it can be good for some shows.
FMA:B OUTDATED noot KIMI NO NA WA OVERRATED noot LONG HAVE WE WAITED noot PINGU IN THE CITY WAS CREATED noot
Apr 22, 2017 11:32 AM

Sep 2012
Well you don't have to of course. I usually watch my fav scenes but sometimes watch the whole episode. Or the whole show if it is too good for me.
Apr 22, 2017 11:39 AM
Apr 2017
Huh , if anything I would've thought the opposite applied. Why watch material you've already watched when u could be enjoying new material. part of the appeal of an anime is the novelty and suspense .

Having said that uyou do sometimes pick up on details u missed first time. I only rewatch after a huge periods of time eg after 5/6 years i might rewatch airbender - while i may know the overarching plot - its been way too long for the minor sub plots to be fresh - plus it was a hilarious show at the time so importantly the jokes will be like new

shows like friends i can watch a million times and nevergrow tired of
Apr 22, 2017 11:51 AM
Jun 2016
I also don't rewatch series. Even when I do it's like casual background noise for when I'm working on something. There are also some instances where I will rewatch if the series has a new season coming up and for fluidity I'll refresh up on what's happened. Or if it's been a long time since I've first seen it.

For the longest time I wanted to rewatch Death Note because it had been over 10 years since I saw it, but simply couldn't because my first impression was just so strong. And when I did get to it again it still was! But in the end it really wasn't necessary as I had really grasped it the first time already. For the most part the initial enjoyment will always outweigh every other watch after for me.

I don't get why some people do look down on not rewatching because truthfully I ain't got time for that. I have spent years watching countless hours of anime and I still don't have enough time to watch all the series still out there.
Apr 22, 2017 11:55 AM

Jan 2012
I'm not much of a rewatcher either. I mean maybe way down the line when my favorites become more hazy in my memory, but as of right now when I still have a pretty good memory of how they went I would rather watch and experience new shows in hopes of finding other favorites.
Apr 22, 2017 12:16 PM

Jul 2016
Aah, don't listen to them. It's your right to never rewatch, you can do whatever the heck you like. As long as you don't watch anime in high speed, I'm not going to judge you.
Apr 22, 2017 12:25 PM

Apr 2017
I actually enjoyed some anime that I have kinda realized it wasnt particularly good later, I feel like if I rewatched those it would probably sour my first experience with them, but there are also anime that I liked the first time around and that I've rewatched or would rewatch.

The problem with rewatching for me is that I haven't been watching anime seriously until fairly recently, so theres a lot of pressure, so to speak, to watch the classics and keep up with seasonal anime too, making you really not want to rewatch shows, because you have so many things to watch anyway.

I say if you want to rewatch stuff do it, watch stuff at your own pace and enjoy it the best way you can.

"That's my precious
image of happiness..."

- I have no clue... -
Apr 22, 2017 12:30 PM

Jul 2015
rewatching is a waste of time unless it's nazo no kanojo x
Apr 22, 2017 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
Sometimes I rewatch stuff because I wanna experience em again. When you haven't seen it for a long time it's almost like you're watching it the first time again. You're like experiencing it anew.

Maybe you've got a vague story ideas and some memory splashes left in you, but not enough to remember the whole show. And besides, maybe you knew some stuff before watching it the first time too.
Apr 22, 2017 12:54 PM

Oct 2016
Why would it be a problem in first place? Is there people who really think of it as an obligation or something?
Do people really look down at others for such reason? If so i can say i'm really surpresed right now.
I've never faced rewatching like that. To be honest i've only rewtched shows (even the ones i really love) back when i had time to do so.
Lately i'm fine with rewatching a few scenes, good fights, cute shots etc~

You know, some of us (maybe it's OPs case too?) just don't have the time to rewatch stuff and keep up with seasonal anime (or everything else in life).

I think you could see this "never rewatching" thing as "saving time to watch new anime".
AinosenseApr 22, 2017 12:58 PM
Apr 22, 2017 12:57 PM

Jan 2014
Too lazy to re-watch a series, I can't even sit down to watch a series so why bother.
Apr 22, 2017 1:11 PM

Aug 2013
I think rewatching shows is important in long term to confirm feelings about that show. It's been happening a lot to me lately. For example I used to have Steins;Gate as my favourite show but so much time has been from then that I just can't feel anything about it and I need a rewatch to I don't know, sort my feelings.
I just think that's important because maybe we are appreciating shows that a long time ago we thought they were really good but maybe with the perspective we've been gaining we can see that the show isn't that good, which happened to me with Darker than Black and Death Note. Especially I can't get to like Death Note that much for how extremely misoginistic it is and how it takes too much liberties at using puzzles and presenting its themes.

I know I haven't really answered your questions but it's how I feel about the concept of rewatching.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2017 1:20 PM
Mar 2017
EcchiLordMamster said:
yes, how else are you supposed to fap?

OH.. YOU MEANT THE WHOLE SERIES?

nothing...

i've only re-watched like 3 anime (online)

True.
I always rewatch the hentai "Discipline", but funny thing, I can never make it past episode 1.
Apr 22, 2017 1:27 PM

Apr 2014
I usually don't either unless they are movies
only rewatched 5 that I remember and 1 of them because of sub and dub
It just doesn't interest me like the first time
Apr 22, 2017 1:29 PM

Feb 2013
Nope, I don't look down on people who don't re-watch, but it's a little weird if you don't re-watch the stuff you love.
After some years of watching anime you get to the point when you will have more trouble finding anime that compares with your favorites.
I will start re-watching all my 9/10, some of 8/10, the second part of One Piece and Bleach once I reach 1.500.

Apr 2016
I have too many shows I want to watch. Rewatching a show is a luxury that I'm not going to have for a long time.
This is a signature. It is used to hold images and words. However, I am using it to store these lines your reading right now!
Jul 2018
nah don't rewatch things
just gets stale the second time
Apr 22, 2017 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
I just re-watch when I am with my friends though I am sure I am going to rewatch some animes after I finish my plan to watch list
Apr 22, 2017 1:50 PM

Mar 2017
If you don't want to rewatch stuff, then don't. Not many animes have something you can gain from watching them multiple times. I only rewatch if I get the time to, and even then, I try to only rewatch a comedy, since most other things don't have the same impact as the first time I watched them.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9051 by appledude1221 »»
9 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

21 by Super-Sugoi »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by piroriparopirira »»
25 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

65 by Sorachin »»
34 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

32 by Soverign »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.