Forum Settings
Forums

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Washio Sumi no Shou Movie 2 - Tamashii Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2017 8:41 AM

Aug 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
just watched it raw
it's pretty okay I guess, less action than the first movie
3/4 of the movie is basically comedy skit + some sol, I believe it's to make the viewer get some emotional attachment with Gin..

but the last 1/4 tho damn..
that was pretty brutal, blood everywhere
Apr 21, 2017 2:05 AM

Nov 2013
I really want to watch this, and I'm not patient enough to wait for subs. I watched the raw, and didn't expect that my Jap listening skill is better than I thought. Sadly no subs means I can't read the Japanese text, like their chat on smartphone, or the letter that Sumi received.

Lots of enjoyable SoL moments, and the comedy is good. We could also see the bond of the three is stronger compared to the first movie. I like the scene where Sumi caught Gin's hand when she walked home on different course.

From the cover pic I'm pretty sure everyone could expect what'll happen, but it still hit me pretty hard. The title Tamashii(spirit) really fits Gin's unbreakable spirit. She fought till the last and died protecting her friends and family. Gin is the physical & moral strength of the team, so losing her will be a really hard blow for Sumi and Sonoko. I wonder how will they cope with that.

The ED song lyrics is really good. It really fits the ending. First sentence: 'Why were we born? I'm sure even until our last maybe we won't know the answer'
And the last : 'It's alright, when you're lonely, close your eyes and I'll be there for you.'
Owww

Argh! Why is the mext movie coming out in July? I really want to watch the next part soon.
Apr 21, 2017 5:36 AM

Dec 2014
Well, if the last movie is gonna be 48 mins too then we're fucked. It's either gonna be ultra rushed or they're gonna delete some stuff from the LN.

From the first 2 movies, they adapted the first 4 chapters from the LN so there's 4 more chapters, I hope the reason they made is 5th July is to have it longer, please, please, please 2 hours movie. PLEASE. Otherwise I'm gonna commit seppuku.

Anyone knows anything about how long the 3rd movie will be? I checked but it says unknown on MAL.
Apr 21, 2017 12:36 PM

Jul 2015
Washio Sumi movie 2, but every time they say patriotism it gets faster.

I really enjoyed the comedy, but as a source reader I already knew Gin's fate, so I was ready (or so I thought) for the feels. This movie really showed how cruel their job is, they can be just having a fantastic day full of fun experiences together, and 2 hours later one is dead and the others emotionally destroyed. The anime made the action and final scene 20x more impactful, really, really well done.
Apr 21, 2017 7:48 PM

Nov 2007
I knew what was going to happen and it still ruined me...
Apr 22, 2017 12:05 AM

Aug 2013
The death flags followed by a character death, I mean...I wouldn't expect anything less from the writer of Akame ga Kill. The fact that it took this long for one of these three to die out is amazing in itself so...pretty much that last bit of the movie was the most important imo. But real talk, what's the point of these movie specials if the first 6 episodes of season 2 essentially covers what's going on here? Then the last six is the actual sequel? I don't get it.
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 22, 2017 1:53 AM

Oct 2008
WOW! the feels for this one is more extreme than the original series of "Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru"
NieR: Automata OST vibes again!
so the 3rd part of the movie comes on July? can't wait!

Apr 22, 2017 8:40 AM

May 2012
I knew what would happen. I knew it all too well T_T

Apr 23, 2017 7:29 AM
Apr 2016
I knew this was gonna happen, but the feelings...... :( Poor Gin! :(
Apr 23, 2017 10:21 PM

Jan 2013
THEY FUCKING NAILED IT.

Oh my fucking God. I don't even know where to begin.

It was so gorgeous, so fun, so heartwrenching. I can't find a single thing wrong with it. I just WISH I didn't look at the screenshots beforehand. God they made it so much more brutal than in the LN. It was absolutely painful.

I loved the Carnival Phantasm type dream sequences and comedy in the first half. God dammit, Sonoko my baby you are the absolute best I love you so much. I'm loving Gin and Sumi more than ever before too, and I already loved them plenty in the LN.

So much character development, so much fluff, so much pain. I'm at a goddamned loss for words. God bless you Gokumi and Project 2H. And fuck you forever Seiji Kishi, Makoto Uezu and Takahiro. You absolute madmen.

But what I really like is how this film utterly emphasized perfectly what I love about this franchise overall, the very notion that life is fleeting and you have to just enjoy it for as long as you can. Because when you're soldiers fighting for humanity, you don't know if you'll come back alive when you're deployed. You probably won't, and you keep fighting anyway. Because you have something to protect. That mundane perfect life of idyllic happiness, and friends who love you. And friends you love so much, you can and will protect them at all costs. I love you Gin.

God I love this series to pieces. Only reason I didn't give this a 10/10 is because we've still got one more movie (and that one's just gonna destroy me for good). But yeah this was absolutely amazing, bless.
Apr 23, 2017 10:23 PM

Jan 2013
Zantius said:
The death flags followed by a character death, I mean...I wouldn't expect anything less from the writer of Akame ga Kill. The fact that it took this long for one of these three to die out is amazing in itself so...pretty much that last bit of the movie was the most important imo. But real talk, what's the point of these movie specials if the first 6 episodes of season 2 essentially covers what's going on here? Then the last six is the actual sequel? I don't get it.

They're going for a similar thing that was done with DanganRonpa3, I think. They want as many people as possible to see WaSuYu, and to renew interest in the franchise since animation wise, its been dormant for over 2 years. These movies are just 2 episodes of what's going to be broadcasted in October spliced together cleanly and given advance screenings in theaters. They said there would be differences in the TV broadcast, though we don't know what yet.

Either way I'm not complaining, I'm just glad we don't have to wait until October to see it.
Apr 27, 2017 8:07 AM

May 2015
They made Gin's death all the more impactful with focusing 3/4th of the movie on SoL, and building their relationships and bonds together. The death flags were pretty clear as well. I think they adapted the chapters perfectly here.

RIP Gin ;__;....

Can't wait for the final movie.
ReverberateApr 27, 2017 8:11 AM

Apr 29, 2017 7:19 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
This end just destroyed me....so much sad...
great movie for me 9/10.
May 7, 2017 4:05 AM

Jul 2009
Well it was going too smooth, I knew something would happen, but I was expecting they would let Gin's dead to the last movie, so I was bit surprised it was in this one.
I wonder how the girls will manage without Gin, she was the strongest for sure.

7/10
May 24, 2017 1:54 AM

Jun 2015
The Feels (T_T). There were so many death flags similar with the novel :D

Jun 8, 2017 11:51 PM

Dec 2008
S0rahana said:

You literally just broke what was left of my heart.

I really wasn't sure what to make of Gin at first, but the first movie made her grow on me. I just hated watching this one because it was one of those "I know it's coming, that doesn't mean it's going to be it any easier".

I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Jun 10, 2017 2:08 PM
Sep 2015
matias067 said:
WOW! the feels for this one is more extreme than the original series of "Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru"

And much more gory. If Yuki Yuna deserved a 10/10, this movie deserves a 11/10!

KirikaYuiko said:
I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

Tbh same
Jun 11, 2017 12:24 AM

Dec 2016
Not Gin why Gin.... so much feelings i cant take it!!! She was always there for everyone the world will be so empty without her omg i cant take it
Jun 14, 2017 4:44 PM

Dec 2011
game8910 said:
I knew what was going to happen and it still ruined me...

Basically, This.
I stayed silent after the credits for about 15 minutes...
Jun 15, 2017 10:11 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
wow, even sexier transformations <3

dat 180 tone shit tho XD

damn, i love you japan lol
Jun 17, 2017 1:50 PM

Dec 2009
S0rahana said:

This pretty much summarizes the whole series.

Well see like, i knew that tragedy was coming, they were wringing that death flag dry, but i was expecting it to come in the 3rd movie.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jun 18, 2017 2:44 AM

Aug 2013
Live like a hero, and die as a hero..

RIP Gin..

Keep calm and enjoy KAGAWA LIFE..
Jun 27, 2017 8:43 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Wait, Gin couldn't use her Mankai mode like what Yuuna and the other did? Hmm, what an unfortunate turn of event.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 12, 2017 7:30 AM
Oct 2015
I was happy on first part.. but i kinda feels angry+sad on the last scene T_T
Jul 14, 2017 10:54 PM

Nov 2011
The first half or so of this movie had such a cherry mood....I mean, everyone was happy and it felt like nothing bad was going to happen. The the final 20 minutes happened....

"It's our Spirit!" - Gin, 2017.

;_;
Jul 16, 2017 7:34 AM

Mar 2011
The battle scene was very good! The way their skin turned violet when they got hit makes it look really painful. Also when gin was guarding againts the vertex blood burst out from her arm. That's why this is my favorite series. Hopefully they will make more sequels. The reviews on washi's novel were also funny (trash and reads like an attempt at brainwashing LOL!). Also the part where she was talking about zuikaku reminded me of kancolle
Jul 24, 2017 6:21 AM

Jun 2012
Love Gin's daily life to her heroic end. Damn Ceros.
Sep 5, 2017 7:23 AM

Oct 2012
Olem said:
I knew what would happen. I knew it all too well T_T

Hold me as I weep. We all knew didn't we. That MAL pic and the dialogue was indication enough but despite having 3/4 of the movie length to steel my heart, it was so easily crushed by that finale. My baby Gin TT^TT
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Sep 8, 2017 11:46 PM
Jul 2010
So how did she managed to beat three vertexes? She was completely overwhelmed and injured yet she somehow did it and they didn't show me how. I am really disappointed. Talk about wasted potential. The first episode was already pretty lighthearted, wasn't that more than enough of fooling around? Apparently not, because they wasted like 30 minutes again for these lighthearted antiques and didn't give more time for an action scene. These are theatrical movies but except for more blood they might even look worse than the series. I guess the whole prequel needed more substance for it to become somewhat enjoyable, but since the premise of the show is extremely simple and we already know how this ends it's extremely hard to innovate and make it more exciting. I am worried for the third movie, it feels like it's going to be 30 minutes of tears and then 10 minutes of poorly executed action.
Urban_DruidSep 8, 2017 11:49 PM
Sep 22, 2017 7:19 AM
Aug 2016
Okay yeah sad stuff and death and all that but MORE IMPORTANTLY WHERE IS MY GODDAMN KOKUBOU KAMEN SPIN-OFF
Sep 28, 2017 6:22 PM

Jul 2014
Very underwhelming, damn the SoL taking up 3/4 of the movie. Bores me to sleep, and last ~15 of action.

5/10 teetering on 4.
Oct 11, 2017 3:46 AM

May 2013
DNI_R said:
So how did she managed to beat three vertexes? She was completely overwhelmed and injured yet she somehow did it and they didn't show me how. I am really disappointed. Talk about wasted potential. The first episode was already pretty lighthearted, wasn't that more than enough of fooling around? Apparently not, because they wasted like 30 minutes again for these lighthearted antiques and didn't give more time for an action scene. These are theatrical movies but except for more blood they might even look worse than the series. I guess the whole prequel needed more substance for it to become somewhat enjoyable, but since the premise of the show is extremely simple and we already know how this ends it's extremely hard to innovate and make it more exciting. I am worried for the third movie, it feels like it's going to be 30 minutes of tears and then 10 minutes of poorly executed action.

She did it like how Archer managed to shave 6 lives of Greece's greatest hero in Fate Route. Gin is truly a Seigi no Mikata.
Dec 29, 2017 1:47 PM

Oct 2015
It started off as this laid back, girls having fun episode but turned dark towards the end. I didn't even think this type of anime killed off its characters, I must say I was surprised on this one. I really loved Mino because she was my favorite, I was saddened the entire time after that, I loved how she took down those three vertex in the end pretty badass way to go.

I'm still shocked and very upset, because its down to two.
8/10 from me.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 21, 2019 7:12 AM

Aug 2013
I knew what was going to happen but damn, the feels.

RIP Gin. You were a great hero. ;_;

9/10.

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.