Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 17, 2017 10:35 AM

Jan 2017
Just a quick question.

Are the episodes with the pencil drawings and cut out's there on purpose, like they purposely wanted that style of animation, or was it because they didn't have the budget or time to fully animate?

I kind of thought it was because they didn't have the time, because their are like 3 recap episodes within all 26 episodes.

Thank you!
Apr 17, 2017 11:16 AM

Dec 2015
ANN said:
His and Her Circumstances is a romantic drama manga series by Masami Tsuda. Anno was tasked with directing the series but Tsuda grew displeased with the more comedy-focused adaptation. A lot of Anno's directorial marks were on the adaptation as well, which utilized traffic signals and railroad crossings as symbols. As Tsuda's displeasure grew, the show began resorting to less and less actual animation, at one point replacing characters with literal popsicle stick cut-outs. Anno left his directorial duties and the remaining seven episodes were overseen by Kazuya Tsurumaki.

Maybe this can help you to get an idea about the situation behind this.
Rei_IIIApr 17, 2017 1:25 PM
Apr 17, 2017 11:36 AM

Jan 2017
This does help. Thank you for the information!
Apr 24, 2017 7:50 PM

Jun 2015
PrincessCorgi said:
Just a quick question.

Are the episodes with the pencil drawings and cut out's there on purpose, like they purposely wanted that style of animation, or was it because they didn't have the budget or time to fully animate?

I kind of thought it was because they didn't have the time, because their are like 3 recap episodes within all 26 episodes.

Thank you!
Even during the first episode you can see shots you could call "pencil drawings". Those were made clearly on purpose and worked effectively.

Episode 19 that is the clear oddball with those stick cut-outs as Rei mentioned earlier is at the end of the day some weird experimentation they had the balls to make (due to budget constrains, yes, most likely).

Recaps episodes (14, half of 15 and 24) is what is really concerning in a sense, and those are easy to skip. 19 and 25 are "simply" weird episodes (disappointing if you expect the same pace of plot progression as in the beginning of the series though), and 20-24,26 introduce character arcs that won't see completion in the anime.

The main problem of this series is ironically starting very well. When it stops being as good it does so in such an obvious fashion it's almost impossible not to be left disappointed.

But as far as the visual efforts seen throughout its episodes, well. I can barely compare it with anything else. I find it commendable overall.
UnowenApr 24, 2017 7:53 PM
Dec 23, 2023 1:11 AM
Dec 2019
Reply to Unowen
PrincessCorgi said:
Just a quick question.

Thank you!
Even during the first episode you can see shots you could call "pencil drawings". Those were made clearly on purpose and worked effectively.

Episode 19 that is the clear oddball with those stick cut-outs as Rei mentioned earlier is at the end of the day some weird experimentation they had the balls to make (due to budget constrains, yes, most likely).

Recaps episodes (14, half of 15 and 24) is what is really concerning in a sense, and those are easy to skip. 19 and 25 are "simply" weird episodes (disappointing if you expect the same pace of plot progression as in the beginning of the series though), and 20-24,26 introduce character arcs that won't see completion in the anime.

The main problem of this series is ironically starting very well. When it stops being as good it does so in such an obvious fashion it's almost impossible not to be left disappointed.

But as far as the visual efforts seen throughout its episodes, well. I can barely compare it with anything else. I find it commendable overall.
@Unowen Can I ask what chapter to read after episode 20 you said? This anime leaves a lot of questions at the end of the episode....

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 3 Discussion

philautia_ - Jun 19, 2009

38 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Oct 21, 2008

69 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 11:18 AM

» Kare Kano

Lilly1x - Feb 8, 2009

2 by mokkocchi »»
Apr 2, 9:41 AM

» Best DVD quality for Kare Kano?!! (Some releases look better than others apparently...?)

LoganJones - Apr 13, 2019

2 by GreatAide »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Does anyone else agree that this anime deserves a remake the most?

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 23, 2022

11 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 25, 7:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.