Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 16, 2017 6:17 PM

Apr 2009
I haven't had much to do for the last few days and somehow tokyo ghoul came to my attention, I watched the first season then watched the second. The whole time I was left scratching my head about half of the plot details.

In like the first episode of season 1 that TV broadcast said ghouls can't be hurt by normal weapons, and then Kaneki broke a knife stabbing himself. Them playing off Kanekis ghoulification as some kind of unknowing mix up just didn't make any sense because there's just absolutely no way a random normal doctor would have even been able to cut Rizes skin. Then it seemed like that little girls dead dad intentionally did the surgery. For what purpose, also how? It seemed like he lived far away and had his own clinic so why was he doing surgery at that hospital Kaneki was staying at, and why didn't any of the other hospital staff notice he wasn't using normal surgical tools to cut into Rize?

Plus, later Kaneki cuts his finger on a broken tea cup. What was that tea cup made out of if a metal blade can't hurt him? Then he later is dodging that big fat guys giant saw weapon. Why was he avoiding that weapon as if it would hurt him? He already knows that ghoul skin is apparently so incredibly hard that it can break a steel blade in half without getting so much as a scratch. Why is he dodging any attacks at all? That guy seemed to just be a human, so no matter how strong he is unless he's using special ghoul weapons then it's literally impossible for him to actually do any sort of physical damage to Kaneki. The worst he can do is toss him around and Kaneki would be unharmed due to the durability of ghoul skin. All of the ghouls would basically just be Luke Cage to any normal human.

It's also made clear that ghouls aren't magical vampires, this is all supposed to be a biological scientific phenomena so there needs to be logical explanations for all of this stuff. The doves clearly have dissected hundreds if not thousands of ghouls in order to make all their weapons, and that guy on the tv in the first episode made it sound like he knew a lot about the biological make up of a ghoul. They even had a prison full of living ghouls in the 2nd season whom the doves are even apparently allowed to converse with.

If such an incredible effort has gone into the study of ghouls then how was it possible that the doves still acted like they had no idea that a ghoul had the same kind of emotional and logical thought processes of a normal human? Why was there surprise at the fact that Kaneki felt bad about potentially having to kill someone? Out of thousands and thousands of ghouls that have been encountered by the doves, and the millions that have apparently lived alongside humans since humans first evolved, not once has anyone ever actually spoken to a ghoul? Does this scientifically advanced organization not have a single psychologist on staff studying the minds of the ghouls they've captured alive? That just makes absolutely no sense.

Also they do a piss poor job of showing the passage of time in this show. When it's revealed that it's apparently only been a few months since Kaneki even had his accident in the first place it made even less sense than when time was just ambiguous.

Kaneki went from barely being able to defend himself to somehow being a master ninja after his torture. How the hell does that happen? I get the ghoul powers gave him increased reflexes and stuff, but he had those this entire time and still demonstrated that he was pretty uncoordinated. With like 3 weeks of basic self defense training under his belt where did the skill necessary to make movements and judgments like that materialize from all of the sudden? And why did he join the organization that was just complicit in his torture? He's been a ghoul for a few months and all of a sudden he's so hardcore about it that he wants to join a terrorist organization that just brutally tortured him and was going to kill him for literally no reason?

He said it was to protect his friends, but in what way was he or that group protecting them? And if Kaneki didn't want to kill innocent people why aid a group that seems to be all about just murdering anyone that isn't part of their group? What even is the mission of that group? Are they trying to stop ghoul oppression or just overthrow human society or what? It seemed like they were doing nothing more than aimlessly causing violence and mocking ghouls who want to live peacefully. And if it's a well known fact that eating other ghouls gives you crazy powers, why are none of these other people that seemingly only want to fight doing that to get stronger?

And then the 2nd season ends in a stupid way just like the first season did.

Man this show is poorly thought out.
Apr 23, 2017 5:14 AM

Sep 2016
Unfortunately the anime can't explain it's own flaws. I'm going to sound annoying now but reading the manga would answer some of those questions.
The anime really isn't that good compared to it's source material as it rushes the story, misses out key information and of course it is known for having its own story compared to the manga. Pretty much all of season 2 is different to the manga. I don't really like season 2. Season 1 is okay, but misses a lot out.

I can answer some questions but they'll only spoil the manga.

Yes, the Doves talk to Ghouls in Coachlea to try to discuss information with, if the Ghoul ends up being useless and doesn't provide anything then the Ghoul is disposed of I think. Some Doves can take ownership rights of a Ghoul so they can't be killed for a period of time.

When Kaneki is dodging that weapon in the restaurant place (I forgot what it was called) i'm sure he can still feel pain from a weapon like that. He used to be human, so the fear of dodging a weapon is probably drilled into his mind. I can't explain this one tbh. But the steel pipes that got Rize crushed her so other things can have an effect on Ghouls with force wether it was a specially designed material or not.
In the manga, the Scrapper has to change his weapon to a quinque weapon in order to kill Kaneki.

I don't understand why some Doves don't sympathise with Ghouls, but some Ghouls are messed up as well so I guess the conflict between them can't disappear - especially how the only food Ghouls can eat are humans. Humans are always living in fear of being hunted so their way of fighting back is using force emotionally and physically, otherwise Ghouls would dominate earth I reckon. Growing up in this type of environment, it's natural. Kind of like an offensive racial period of time.

Talking about Kaneki being strong after being tortured - he was always strong if we consider his training he did (in the manga) and he also had Rize's Kagune. It took the torture from Yamori and Rize being in his head to make him accept that he's a ghoul. He didn't get a random powerup from the torture. He always had that power and always had Rize's Kagune he just finally decided to use it. And he also cannibalised which made him stronger and a bit more mental.

With the broken cup and Keneki bleeding - In the manga Tsukiyama scratched him to make him bleed when taking something from him, passing it off as an accident, the anime made a bit of a mistake here.

I'd love a reboot of the anime if it would follow it's source material correctly, because the story I think is well thought out. Unfortunately the anime just decided to do something else.
Otherwise, I hope I answered some of your questions :)
BeKleyJun 3, 2017 4:27 PM

"Even if your soul disappears, your wishes and curses remain in this world."

More topics from this board

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

37 by Zimmu »»
Apr 3, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

256 by dustyblue »»
Feb 7, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2015

300 by RapidPhantom »»
Jan 23, 7:50 AM

» From a strictly anime only viewpoint, Tokyo Ghoul S2 was good ( 1 2 )

CickNipolla - Feb 15, 2022

53 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Dec 23, 2023 7:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.