Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 16, 2017 11:17 AM

Mar 2017
I've been watching anime for about 1.5 years now, but the only anime that I've kept up with weekly was One-Punch Man though I still waited until about 5 episodes were out. Normally I just watch older shows that are completed. I've only seen 6 anime that came out in 2015 on, and the bulk of my titles started/ended in 2011 and 2006.

Is it really worth keeping up? Do you enjoy it more than watching older shows?
N30-R3TR0Apr 16, 2017 5:45 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 16, 2017 11:21 AM

Sep 2016
The real question is: Do you want to keep up watching seasonal anime?

Because it's definitely worth it.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Apr 16, 2017 11:22 AM

Apr 2016
cruisin1600 said:
I've been watching anime for about 1.5 years now, but the only anime that I've kept up with seasonally was One-Punch Man though I still waited until about 5 episodes were out. Normally I just watch older shows that are completed. I've only seen 6 anime that came out in 2015 on, and the bulk of my titles started/ended in 2011 and 2006.

Is it really worth keeping up? Do you enjoy it more than watching older shows?

Some stories might work out better when parts of them are watched every week, and sometimes the premise is really interesting and you can't stop yourself from watching even if only a few episodes are out.

Maybe you can watch seasonal anime to force yourself to keep your interest up by watching a greater variety of shows, but you can do this with completed series too, as I do.

Otherwise, no, not worth it in my opinion. Maybe watching it on TV in japan does support the show a bit, but I don't think it matters in the west at all.
Apr 16, 2017 11:25 AM

Oct 2012
if there isn't any series that I'm particularly interested in, I won't keep up with anything. I usually only keep up with sequels
Apr 16, 2017 11:27 AM

Oct 2014
Every season around 50 anime come out and 5 will be good. Out of random chance you have a 1 out of 2,118,760 chance of picking the 5 that will be good at random out of all your options while at the end of the season your chance rises to about 15%. Logically it is better to watch anime after they air. I was hyped about Berserk 2016, but I decided not to watch it because of the negative response.
Apr 16, 2017 11:58 AM

Jan 2017
I guess it's only worth it if you the shows interest you. I only really watch one or two a season myself most of the time. Others can do a whole lot more.
Be faithful to your lust, fellow weebs.
Apr 16, 2017 12:02 PM

Nov 2016
I wouldn't say that keeping up with the seasonals is better than to binge a completed series later. Both can be fun, but watching it while it's airing allows you to look at the show without expectations and prejudice, cause there is no hype, no reviews etc.. Going into something without almost any knowledge makes it a little more exiting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 16, 2017 12:02 PM

Aug 2013
I prefer watching seasonal. Especially if it comes to comedy series.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 16, 2017 12:03 PM
Sep 2016
If the you like the Anime yes (n_n)
I usually start a lot of seasonal Anime but then I drop a lot of them because I don´t like some(n_n)
Apr 16, 2017 12:49 PM

Nov 2014
Seasonals download and seed faster which is a cool thing.
Apr 16, 2017 1:24 PM

Nov 2013
Yes, it is worth it.

And, by the way, you don't have to choose between the two.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Apr 16, 2017 1:36 PM

Sep 2012
Well it is. There is always a possibility that you will find your new favorite show.
Apr 16, 2017 2:05 PM

Apr 2014
If I don't it'll just get piled up and I'll take forever to finish it at a later date like how I did with Digimon Applimonsters and currently doing now with week 3 of spring17
Apr 16, 2017 3:55 PM

Aug 2014
This is what you call a phase.

I first started watching seasonal anime back in late 2013 to early 2014. I stopped doing it like in Summer 2015. Now I just marathon anime. I only watch seasonal anime if its like a very hyped romance anime, but those are rare.

I used to watch seasonal anime to keep up in the forums, but that was just a phase as well, since discussing episodes of anime each week isn't that enjoyable anymore for me.

You should only watch seasonal anime if watching one episode of per anime per week is a hobby, brings you joy.

I love watching anime in one go, and probably will always do.
Apr 16, 2017 4:21 PM

Apr 2015
Very much worth it, especially if you enjoy in participating weekly episode discussions (which I do). Those discussions tend to die out after a series has aired.
Apr 16, 2017 4:31 PM

Oct 2016
Why not? It is totally worth the effort. Of course, it's nice to watch completed shows since you can keeo up with every little detail, things you could sometimes forget if you're watching something weekly. But still, you'll be only picking things you like. You may even wait for a few episodes to come out just so you know if you'll really want to finish them, and you'll have free time to watch/do different stuff during the time you'll be waiting for the next eps to come out.

And if you're one of those "i only watch high rated shows" people it's even better for you. You know, just pick the popular stuff; it's just that simple.
Apr 16, 2017 5:43 PM

Aug 2015
Just the ones you want to watch. If there's one i really want to watch i'll keep up with it. But if it sounds interesting but i'm fine waiting then i will wait until its finished airing before starting to watch it.
Apr 17, 2017 1:57 AM

May 2015
No. You'll have to wait a whole week for the next episode. That's a bummer. There are enough anime to complete meanwhile.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 17, 2017 2:04 AM

Jul 2016
I think it's unnecessary, since it doesn't have much difference unless you have some reasons (e.g:friends, keep up the reviews)

Life is empty without anime

Apr 17, 2017 2:31 AM

Feb 2010
Only if you want to take part in the most recent discussions and stuff. If you don't care about being up-to-date for that purpose I do recommend watching shows once they're completed.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 17, 2017 2:40 AM

Jul 2009
Unless you are a seasonal reviewer or have a hobby of keeping up with discussions, then not really
Apr 17, 2017 2:53 AM

Jun 2015
There are some series that work better if you watch them weekly. You can still try watching them weekly even if they're complete, but you know you wouldn't resist the urge to watch the next episodes anyway if they're good.

Also, it lessens the chances of anime burnout.
Apr 17, 2017 3:16 AM

Sep 2009
Recently been pondering that myself and I've been following seasonal since mid 2000's. Watching a completed show is much more satisfying since the whole experience unfolds at once rather then it being segmented. Lots of shows now have so much padding and fodder waiting weekly feels like the whole experience is diluted.

I probably might save the good shows until their completed and pick up some nonsense show in the meanwhile to keep me distracted until then.
Apr 17, 2017 3:22 AM

Oct 2016
I think it's worth it!

You won't also be tempted to marathon a whole series since it's only 1 episode per week lol.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 17, 2017 3:22 AM

Sep 2015
The only ones I'll prioritise watching seasonal and won't be swayed are the super hyped, likely to be spoilt ones i.e. SnK S2. Otherwise, I'll do whatever.
Apr 17, 2017 3:40 AM

Dec 2014
I like going through backlog and all, but I do prioritise my seasonals to a certain extent too - especially if it's enjoyable.

Touniouk said:
Seasonals download and seed faster which is a cool thing.

Also this guy knows what's up.
Apr 17, 2017 3:56 AM

Nov 2013
i prefer to watch seasonals over older shows, 1st cause i know in the end of the 3 months i have 30+ new animes on my completed list, 2nd cause i can comment on forum etc after each episode, 3rd cause i get bored watching all the episodes of one anime in 1 day

(for example i started season 1 of boku no hero academia like 1 week ago...still on ep4 LOL)
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 17, 2017 3:59 AM

Jun 2016
Doing it can prevent you from wasting an entire day watching all episodes of a show, since this way you're just dedicating one day a week for an episode of one show.So unless you follow lots of seasonals at a time, you have a healthy pacing and you have time to do other things.
Apr 17, 2017 4:04 AM

Dec 2016
I watch almost all seasonal anime. If I don't like it, I drop it.

"League sucks, HAHA!"
Apr 17, 2017 4:08 AM

May 2014
I watch seasonal anime because there's less of a chance of being burned out if I'm only watching 1 episode a week.
Apr 17, 2017 4:08 AM

Oct 2013
Seasonal is definitely worth it if you can keep up with it.
Apr 17, 2017 4:24 AM

Feb 2017
Like the others, if you do have life to work out with then to see seasonal episodes is not a bad choice. You don't have to marathon a series (if it's good) until your precious 5-10 hours is wasted.
Apr 17, 2017 6:55 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I'd like to watch things at my own pace rather than on a weekly basis and so I'd like to be somebody who puts it off until after it's finished airing, but I can't really escape the fact that a new episode is there and that I really, really want to watch it. Suppressing that desire seems counter-intuitive since I don't want to sit here and restrict myself to doing stuff I don't feel like doing. If I wanna watch something then and there, I think it's better to just do it then and there.

So for somebody with my outlook, yeah, I definitely would say keeping up with seasonals are worth it. Although I do pretty much wish I was somebody who is willing to wait, honestly, but if I tried I know I'd just cave in ._.

I wanted to do that with Eromanga-sensei this season lol, wait until it was finished and then watch it, but because I'm eternally 12 years old at heart, my mental fortitude went from rock solid to "OH FIRST EPISODE IS OUT IT WON'T HURT TO WATCH JUST THIS ONE AND THEN THE OTHERS AFTER IT'S FINISHED AIRING (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧"

...which led to me watching the 2nd episode the week after, and then very quickly abandoning all hope of waiting until it was done.

Now I'm just rambling though, lol

Apr 17, 2017 6:58 AM
Nov 2010
It is when you want to discuss it with many people, which can bring you some benefits.

Other than that, watching finished stuff is better.
Apr 17, 2017 7:03 AM

Dec 2014
hmmm depends I mostly watch seasonal anime now... I have seen so much past anime now they are hardly left that I like and I haven't watched...
Apr 17, 2017 11:37 AM

Feb 2015
It depends on one thing, and one thing only: Do you enjoy it?

I do. While I think that the overall impact a show has on me is greater when I can marathon it, it does have a nice feeling to it to just let a show run its course and accompany you for a couple of weeks/months.

Plus my "PtW"-List is still way too large. If I don't watch anime seasonally as well as checking off some older series, this list would eventually grow so big as to take over the entire internet and end all of mankind.

Luckily my favourite site for watching Anime allows me to create a watchlist, and shows move to the top whenever a new episode airs. Makes it a lot easier, especially this season with its 71 Million shows.
Apr 17, 2017 12:17 PM

Jul 2015
There is just so many series, and a lot of older series, that I usually do not bother with seasonal anime.
Apr 17, 2017 1:26 PM

Jun 2008
Best thing to do is doing both. Both watching seasonals and completed ones.
Apr 17, 2017 2:00 PM

Mar 2010
It motivates me and gives me reason to watch something when I know it just aired. I'm a busy person. Also, knowing I can watch another episode in a few days excites me. So, yeah, for me, watching an airing anime is vital, otherwise I would not watch anything at all. Thinking about what anime I can watch when and waiting for subs also motivates me to watch older anime instead of doing the million other things that I could/should do.
Apr 17, 2017 2:15 PM

Jul 2012
Certain shows have perks to being watched weekly (Ie. cliffhangers).
Some are much more enjoyable and fitting to watch on a weekly basis, like if the series is episodic.
It's also really easy to motivate yourself to watch one episode a week and then proceed to make time for as many shows as you want.
How much pressure you choose to stay up to date is entirely personal so if you aren't too into one show you could slow down and focus on something else, or there's always the option for dropping (but even with "bad" shows 1 episode a week should rarely result in forcing yourself to finish a series).
Personally I tend to prefer seasonal anime over older anime but I try to mix both.
Apr 17, 2017 6:56 PM

Nov 2014
I enjoy it just as much as i do watching completed shows and it gives me something to do on set days and on my free days i can do whatever else i feel like or i can skip a few day sand stack them on free days instead.

I watch seasonal and completed shows at the same time constantly even when i am quite busy, so it is up to you on what you want to do but in the end i would say it is worth it as it will give you more experience and a wider range of shows to watch on a daily basis, plus near the end of a season they all complete right around the same time give or take a few weeks so your stats will boost up a fair amount depending on how many you watch per season.

However there is a downside to seasonal stuff and social media, if you are behind on a good show you are watching then you go on twitter/fb/etc and you will see pics/gris/videos/etc of spoilers and if you are like me and hate spoilers it will get annoying but it's whatever, the same thing could be said of other shows you are watching but they are completed already, just see spoilers and same thing happen.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Apr 17, 2017 7:11 PM

Feb 2016
It's difficult to speak for all the seasonal shows. But in my opinion - there are shows - that are much more fun watching while they're ongoing.

As for me I'm really enjoying seasonal shows because of NicoDouga & the comments on the videos. It's actually a pretty funny way to watch anime. [But like everything - it depends on the show.]

Depending on where you live/how you're watching anime - seasonal shows might be easier accessible.

→ I'd say - yes, it's worth. Of course watching a lot of seasonal shows can be confusing - but if you pick a few titles each season it might be a pretty nice experience.
cure_potatoApr 17, 2017 8:11 PM
Apr 17, 2017 8:09 PM

Feb 2012
Maybe, but you should be realistic about it. Would you read 30 books at a time? Also things add up and brain doesn't separate stuff into different categories like anime/games/novels etc. You can separate them in your lists and accounts, but in person they all add up and lower your efficiency to see things through. In the sense of time management, it doesn't really matter if you watch one or six show for two hours, but the difference is that with the latter you won't be able to move on quite as fast and all of them stay in the back of your mind taking up RAM.
Apr 17, 2017 8:14 PM

Jan 2014
yea, I normally watch 1 or 2 of the best rated shows after 3 eps have been aired, that and sequels
Apr 17, 2017 8:15 PM

Jul 2013
It really depends on the person. Some people feel more connected to a show when they marathon or watch multiple episodes. Some love the suspense of waiting each week. Which are you? Pick that choice.
Apr 17, 2017 11:51 PM

Jun 2010
That's really up to you, I just watch what I want to watch and I'm fine, it would be nice though if I had the time but sadly life gets in the way.
Just saying I've been watching anime for over 15 years and I'm happy.
Apr 18, 2017 2:37 AM

Dec 2014
I don't have a lot of time to watch completed shows so watching seasonal shows weekly is best for me cos doesn't take up a lot of time. Otherwise if i pick up a non airing show usually takes me over a month to complete it (12 episodes)
Apr 18, 2017 3:57 AM
Jul 2018
I like watching seasonal from to time because you'll have a lot more discussions about the anime.
Apr 19, 2017 8:05 AM

May 2015
mecharobot said:
Maybe, but you should be realistic about it. Would you read 30 books at a time? Also things add up and brain doesn't separate stuff into different categories like anime/games/novels etc. You can separate them in your lists and accounts, but in person they all add up and lower your efficiency to see things through. In the sense of time management, it doesn't really matter if you watch one or six show for two hours, but the difference is that with the latter you won't be able to move on quite as fast and all of them stay in the back of your mind taking up RAM.

That's why it's best to also watch only 2 shows, at most 3 at a time.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 19, 2017 10:41 PM

Oct 2012
Watch what looks interesting to you. Keeping up with every series every season sounds stressful.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 hours ago

10 by Serafos »»
2 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
4 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
8 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
9 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.