Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 15, 2017 8:11 PM
Apr 2017
As the title suggest, what do you guys find it so great about about Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood?

I love anime, but I'm not good with patience. I don't have time to watch every anime to find out if they are good or not . Therefore, I only watch the highly popular ones.
In my search for popular anime, I always stumbled upon Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood. It seems like this series is recommended everywhere in anime streaming website.

I downloaded quite a number of anime, namely:
- Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood
- Magi - The Labyrinth Of Magic
- Fairy Tail
- Akame Ga Kill
- Dragon Ball Super
- Nanatsu no Taizai

I have a habit of saving the best for last, so, after I finished watching all the said anime, only then I started watching FMA-B. After 5 episodes, I failed to understand the hype. Based on 5 epsiodes, here are things that doesn't impress me:

1. Character drawing : characters are not beautifully drawn. I think in every anime, there should be several badass protagonists, so we could have fanboyism there. But, it's a minor issue really.

2. Quality of picture : mediocre at best. Still better than Fiary Tail.

3. Animation : Disappointed. I expect a fluid action animation.

4. Storyline : Nothing great. So far, we were only shown 5 alchemists. And I don't find their powers interesting at all. And there is NO hint that there further exist someone more badass than the current ones. So, there is no incentive for me to continue further.

For me, FMA-B is like Gundam Seed and Neon Genesis, where they are rated highly but I don't find it any impressive. Sadly to say, the first 5 episodes of Fairy Tail are more enjoyable than the first 5 of FMA-B, even FT is criticised for nakama bullshit and inconsistency, but at least, FT promised that there are great adventures ahead. I enjoyed the 5 said animes better than FMA-B. The one I enjoyed the most is Nanatsu no Taizai, while Magi is a great series with careful reference to history and culture.

So, can you share what is so great about FMA-B? Or at which episode it will be great?
AlveoliApr 16, 2017 5:52 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 15, 2017 8:21 PM

Jul 2013
I don't agree with practically any of the points you made. The characters are indeed drawn nicely, and there are many unique designs. "Quality of picture" wat. The animation is very good, and above most of what you see in general, in regards to other series. The storyline isn't anything ultra amazing special, but enjoyable regardless.

I'd say it really starts to kick off around episode 4/5, when they begin to encounter the homunculi, with this being said, the mid-later episodes are some of its best, so I wouldn't drop it so early.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 15, 2017 8:30 PM
Dec 2015
I can't say that I agree with most of the points you made at all. I do think that the background art isn't particularly attractive, but if you think Brotherhood isn't well animated then I'm afraid you don't know what good animation looks like. The characters are very well-drawn with detailed and attractive, yet unique and interesting designs that portray their personalities well. The story is very interesting, focusing more on the character dynamics and some political aspects while still making room for the excellent fight scenes and doofy comedy. Really, the characters are what is so great about the series. Ed and Al have a deeply personal, intimate, and genuine bond that makes me care about them almost immediately. The whole cast is made of lovable personalities and visual charm, yet each has very interesting and developed stories as the series goes on. The world-building is also some of the best in anime. The first 12 episodes of Brotherhood are quite rushed because the creators kind of expected us to have seen the first FMA series where that part of the story is spread out over more episodes. I don't think they are bad, but if you don't like them watch the first half of the 2003 version for a more detailed and better paced version of the same story.
Apr 15, 2017 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
i don't get this.
i haven't seen fma in a long time..
but it seems like the trend i'm picking up on here is that you want to see more anime with tits on the cover?
Apr 15, 2017 8:38 PM
Apr 2017
Thanks. But for me, the quality of picture is still below Akame Ga Kill, Magi and Nanatsu no Taizai. Still watchable.
I like anime with great consistency and unpredictable storyline. Seems like FMA-B fits this description. Fairy Tail is off the mark. So, I may consider to continue it.
Thank you again.
Apr 15, 2017 8:40 PM

Jul 2013
Astaroth_F said:
Thanks. But for me, the quality of picture is still below Akame Ga Kill, Magi and Nanatsu no Taizai. Still watchable.
I like anime with great consistency and unpredictable storyline. Seems like FMA-B fits this description. Fairy Tail is off the mark. So, I may consider to continue it.
Thank you again.

How can you rate an entire 64 episode anime, when you've only seen 5 episodes..?

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 15, 2017 8:41 PM

Aug 2015
so 3 of your points just say you don't like the way it looks. and you last point says you don't like the story based on the first 5 episodes of an anime that 64. And your talking about it as though the only interesting part of the anime is how cool the alchemists powers are? I think you should give it a bit more of a chance.
Apr 15, 2017 8:41 PM
Apr 2017
jarring said:
i don't get this.
but it seems like the trend i'm picking up on here is that you want to see more anime with tits on the cover?

No.
Can you even read? It's exactly as I said. I watched the first 5, and I don't feel like I will hook up with it
Apr 15, 2017 8:44 PM
Apr 2017
Lord_Lamington said:
so 3 of your points just say you don't like the way it looks. and you last point says you don't like the story based on the first 5 episodes of an anime that 64. And your talking about it as though the only interesting part of the anime is how cool the alchemists powers are? I think you should give it a bit more of a chance.

That's why I asked what is great about and at which episodes it will be great.
I am open to to continue it again.
The first impression matters.
AlveoliApr 15, 2017 8:48 PM
Apr 15, 2017 8:45 PM

Oct 2013
one can't say what will hook someone into a show since we all look for different things in shows
all I can really do is post a opening showing later events in the show and you can make the decision to keep watching if you see anything that interests you in the OP
Apr 15, 2017 8:48 PM

Apr 2016
First of all, you're an idiot. Second, stop watching anime because they're popular,that's a really bad habit.

Why is FMAB not only popular but also good? Because of its story, characters, themes, soundtrack, and everything else in between.

And don't judge a 64 Episode anime in 5 episodes. Nothing bad is going to happen if you don't watch FMAB. Except you'll miss out on watching one of the best stories in anime. Ever.
Apr 15, 2017 8:51 PM

Aug 2015
Astaroth_F said:
Lord_Lamington said:

That's why I asked what is great about and at which episodes it will be great.
I am open to to continue it again.
You can;t blame me. The first impression matters.

I definitely agree with you that first impression matters, I've dropped shows on the first episode before. from memory I started to get into it a lot more after around episode 12. in my opinion it has a great story. And more good characters get introduced later. But it's up to you whether you wanna continue watching it or not.
Jul 2018
Astaroth_F said:
jarring said:
i don't get this.

No.
Can you even read? It's exactly as I said. I watched the first 5, and I don't feel like I will hook up with it

beep boop
repeat offender
:P
sorry. i don't really care about fma either, but i can't defend you here. would you rather me thrash it? cuz i can if you want.

it manages to be rather complex and convoluted whilst never advancing anywhere.
:)

Jun 2015
I agree with you in that the first few episodes of Brotherhood aren't very impressive. It's not until episode 10 or so that you'll start to see any good action or characters. That's one of the reasons I prefer the original 2003 version of Fullmetal Alchemist. The early episodes are much more engaging and show more character development, while not progressing the story as much. Maybe give it a try instead.

The 2003 version has a slower pacing, darker atmosphere and more character focus. The Brotherhood version is fast paced, story oriented and much more shonen-like. Choose which one is best for you.
AnotherGuyApr 15, 2017 8:58 PM
Apr 15, 2017 8:52 PM
Apr 2017
Omkar_Nagwade said:
First of all, you're an idiot. Second, stop watching anime because they're popular,that's a really bad habit.

Why is FMAB not only popular but also good? Because of its story, characters, themes, soundtrack, and everything else in between.

And don't a 64 Episode anime in 5 episodes. Nothing bad is going to happen if you don't watch FMAB. Except you'll miss out on watching one of the best stories in anime. Ever.

First, I'm not an idiot.
Second, I will continue watching anime because they're popular,that's not a bad habit.
That's because I don't have much free time to watch full or half anime to find out if they are good or not.
AlveoliApr 15, 2017 9:30 PM
Apr 15, 2017 8:55 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
It's just one of the best adaptations ever made. You really can't get more faithful than FMA:B. The series is just solid all around from its characters, to its main story and sub plots that all wrap up neatly towards the end.
Apr 15, 2017 9:03 PM

Apr 2017
Leave the man alone. We all have our own perspectives and takes on anime. He's just giving his own opinion. :)
Apr 15, 2017 9:07 PM
Apr 2017
AnotherGuy said:
I agree with you in that the first few episodes of Brotherhood aren't very impressive. It's not until episode 10 or so that you'll start to see any good action or characters. That's one of the reasons I prefer the original 2003 version of Fullmetal Alchemist. The early episodes are much more engaging and show more character development, while not progressing the story as much. Maybe give it a try instead.

The 2003 version has a slower pacing, darker atmosphere and more character focus. The Brotherhood version is fast paced, story oriented and much more shonen-like. Choose which one is best for you.

I think I perefer a fast-paced version.
I think I will continue it.
Thank you.
Apr 15, 2017 9:12 PM

Dec 2016
Try to watch the old FMA and FMA Brotherhood, then compare.

Then read the original manga of FMA.

"League sucks, HAHA!"
Apr 15, 2017 9:15 PM

Apr 2017
I personally rated FMA with a 9 or 10.

It has all the nice things I seek in an anime - action, character development, some kind of sci-fi, fantasy element or science fantasy element or steam punk or supernatural, some plot twists, consistency, a moral/message to tell, etc. The animation for me was fluid enough to like. The character design style is decent enough for me to like. If this show looked like some kind of shoujo art, I'd have been sad. I certainly don't want a bishoujonen main character or even side characters.

Now, based on your preference for Fairy Tail over FMA, I might be correct to assume you like your anime upbeat. Well, FMA Brotherhood is NOT upbeat. It's pretty tragic/sad at some parts. The overall TONE of the series is kinda serious. I personally like it that way, but you might not.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 15, 2017 9:27 PM
Feb 2017
While I don't think it's a "10", I believe it is one of the best of the Shounen genre. Fluid storyline, no bullshit fillers, great plot, great artwork, fantastic dub. I would recommend it for anyone new to anime as well.
Apr 15, 2017 9:29 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Astaroth_F said:
Sadly to say, the first 5 episodes of Fairy Tail are more enjoyable than the first 5 of FMA-B, even FT is criticised for nakama bullshit and inconsistency, but at least, FT promised that there are great adventures ahead.

More like it promises there are great bullshits and horrible asspulls ahead

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 15, 2017 9:39 PM

Sep 2016
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, I think is not a great anime but masterpiece. The best anime ever made. This anime has 64 episodes, not divided into several seasons. So, you can't rate this anime like that just by watching 5 episodes.

First of all the the voice cast were chosen to perfection every voice portrays the character as who the were meant to be. Japanese much better than english dub.

Secondly The Storyline was so well written compared to the first series. story flows wonderfully as we witness the journey the characters take and the many twists and turns that occur. This series made me laugh out loud, cry and bring up pretty much every part of human emotion possible

Characterization was also excellent. once again I will mention the voices but also the way characters interact with the complex guidelines of the world they inhabit.

And lastly the animation is very fluid no cheap faraway shots where the characters are talking but not moving which is used commonly(see Neon Genesis Evangalion).

I will finish by saying that if you are going to watch one anime in the entirety of your life time Choose Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.
Apr 15, 2017 9:40 PM
Apr 2017
SongstressSL said:

It has all the nice things I seek in an anime - action, character development, some kind of sci-fi, fantasy element or science fantasy element or steam punk or supernatural, some plot twists, consistency, a moral/message to tell, etc. The animation for me was fluid enough to like. The character design style is decent enough for me to like. If this show looked like some kind of shoujo art, I'd have been sad. I certainly don't want a bishoujonen main character or even side characters.

Now, based on your preference for Fairy Tail over FMA, I might be correct to assume you like your anime upbeat. Well, FMA Brotherhood is NOT upbeat. It's pretty tragic/sad at some parts. The overall TONE of the series is kinda serious. I personally like it that way, but you might not.

I really like Magi although I don't think it was upbeat.
I like Fairy Tail for around the first 40 episodes because it was a combination of upbeat, tragic and action. After that, it became so predictable and plague with inconsitency.
I prefer the series which is unpredictable and consistent at the same time. Since you guys give the assurance of it. I think it's worth to give it a try.
Perhaps I was too hasty in my judgement. Anyway, tqvm :)
Apr 15, 2017 9:40 PM

Jun 2015
Studio Bones. Mediocre animation. Kek
Apr 15, 2017 9:42 PM
Apr 2017
Rayrin said:
Astaroth_F said:
Sadly to say, the first 5 episodes of Fairy Tail are more enjoyable than the first 5 of FMA-B, even FT is criticised for nakama bullshit and inconsistency, but at least, FT promised that there are great adventures ahead.

More like it promises there are great bullshits and horrible asspulls ahead

You're correct. I wasted my time watching it.
Apr 15, 2017 9:46 PM

May 2016
What FMAB does really well imo, better than any other series I've watched was its ability to hook the audience. I've watched decent actions shows like HxH, but none have really made me badly want to watch the next one as much as FMAB. In fact I remember watching like 10 eps per sitting when I watched it the first time.

For FMAB, ignore superficial things like popularity, reputation, or the quality of animation and simply enjoy the joyride.

And yes Fairy Tail is shit.
Apr 15, 2017 9:52 PM

Apr 2017
Astaroth_F said:
SongstressSL said:

I really like Magi although I don't think it was upbeat.
I like Fairy Tail for around the first 40 episodes because it was a combination of upbeat, tragic and action. After that, it became so predictable and plague with inconsitency.
I prefer the series which is unpredictable and consistent at the same time. Since you guys give the assurance of it. I think it's worth to give it a try.
Perhaps I was too hasty in my judgement. Anyway, tqvm :)

I encourage you to try it one more time. If it turns out it isn't your cup of tea, don't sweat it just because other people liked it. If there's one good trait humans have, it's diversity - we are free to have our individual opinions. For example, there are people who genuinely thought Macross Delta is a good show and liked the characters. I watched the whole series to the end and thought it's Macross's worst modern entry (if not worst ever entry); it even wins the grand prize for poorest characterization in anime amongst shows I've watched in recent years, lol.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 15, 2017 10:07 PM

Jun 2012
It's a series that appeals to just about every crowd with a likable cast of characters, an intriguing plot, some interesting themes, hype moments, and very few glaring flaws if at all (and not as controversial as the 2003 adaptation). I don't regard it as highly as I did when I was in high school or think it's even the best Shonen but it's still a pretty solid watch.

AntwanMantilla said:
You really can't get more faithful than FMA:B

Everything before Ling's introduction is pretty rushed.
Apr 15, 2017 10:08 PM

May 2009
Astaroth_F said:
Thank you again.

Ok, 3 out of 4 of your points from your first post is about the visual quality. Can't you be a bit more considerate? You're comparing the quality FMA:B which was aired on 2009 to that of Magi, AgK and NnT which were aired during 2012 and 2014. What do you expect?

Here, I'll tell you my experience.
I've watched those three (Magi, AgK, NnT) earlier than last year. As for this year, the most recent series I've finished is FMA:B. If I'll compare those four series, I enjoyed watching FMA:B the most. Not that it would also apply to you, but here are my reasons:

1 - Density of the story. Every little thing is a part of a bigger picture. That's what I like in NnT too. Each episode fulfills their role as a piece to a puzzle.
2 - Pacing. Not too slow, not too fast. Everything had enough time to be executed. And every character has decent screen and backstory time.

3 - Badass characters. You said that within 5 episodes, you hadn't seen any of these. I think that's understandable because of its pacing. And for a shounen genre (which typically has lots of surprise characters in the middle to end), I don't think they'll give you their bests at the start. Some of the badass characters aren't alchemists to start with You're counting the alchemists which have been introduced already, but the story won't just revolve around them.
4 - A very good and faithful adaptation. If only AkG's adaptation is faithful, man, I don't think I'd hate it.

That's all, mate. I hope you'll finish it. It's still up to you though.

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
Apr 16, 2017 2:16 AM

Nov 2015
The thing is, you came into FMAB expecting pure rule-of-cool, unadultarated badassery. But FMAB doesn't roll that way. Granted, it does have several moments that'll make you go "aaaaah shit son" but the primary aspect that makes it so appealing to most people is the spiritual journey the characters go through. These people feel "real". They aren't your picture perfect shonen heroes a la Natsu and Goku
There's also a great sense of consistency/continuity throughout. No plot thread is left dangling and several key plot moments are foreshadowed episodes prior.
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Apr 16, 2017 2:32 AM

Jan 2016
1 - fair enough, it's just a matter of taste. Personally i'm ok with it, the characters are easy to recognize.
2 - maybe i'm stupid but i don't get what you mean with "quality of picture".
3 - i guess we have watched different shows, maybe you should stick to high budget animation movies.
4 - After watching only 5 episodes out of 64 i don't know what you expected. It's like reading the first 50 pages of LOTR and claiming the storyline is nothing special.
Apr 16, 2017 2:49 AM

Aug 2013
Character design is bad I agree, but the rest? Art quality is really high, Hand drawn backgrounds are epic. Animation is really nice too, in key points. Generally the visual side is probably the strongest point of this series.
5/10 for me, because it was totally uninteresting for me and the humour was just plain bad - it literally destroyed this anime.
rsc-plApr 16, 2017 2:53 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 16, 2017 2:51 AM

Apr 2016
Nothing really, its just that every weab mainstream anime watcher with DN, SNK, and Code Geass in fav. is thinking it is the best anime ever. just another shounen bullshit.
Apr 16, 2017 2:51 AM

Apr 2017
It's one of a kind... that no other shounen shows (Except.. Gintama, HxH) could surpassed the full potential of this series...

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 16, 2017 3:15 AM
Feb 2016
LMAO, sure you didn't download Fullmetal Alchemist by mistake?
Apr 16, 2017 3:24 AM
Nov 2014
In my very mainstream opinion, Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the best animes I have ever seen.

I personally love the art style. It may not be that eye catching for a newcomer, that's definitely true, yet I believe that the visual experience should not be enough to drop the anime. It is important, but one can definitely get used to it.

As for animation I had very little to bash. I liked the action, fights were nicely done and with decent and suitable soundtrack an epic experience was created. Openings and endings evoke all sorts of emotions and became very characteristic feature of FMA (old and new one alike).

Although the points I've made so far are very subjective. In regards to the plot, Brotherhood offers everything. Action, intriques, comedy, romance, tragedy, existentional questions, bonds with family, human nature and many more.
Every element is paid attention to, the graduation is tense and keeps us watching, yet the storyline is complex with many sub-plots although every one of them contributes to the main story and is relevant.
On top of that, Brotherhood has probably one of the most satisfying endings, everything is resolved and there is a message it bears.

Characters. Absolutely wonderful. The variety of characters is extremely wide. Homunculi, alchemists, soldiers, but old friends, teachers, butchers, daughters and dogs too. Every single character has their own backstory, goals, motivations, likes and dislikes and moreover - they have personality that is not described by their hairstyle and type of a weapon; they all are unique and in certain ways lovable.

So, yes, I love Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, and I understand that for a newcomer the artstyle may be a little bit off-putting, but if you enjoy complex storylines, plot twists and action, then I would definitely recommend FMA:B.
Apr 16, 2017 3:29 AM

May 2009
kamalashki said:
why do u think a faithful adaptation is a good thing?

Well, ok. Maybe I shouldn't have listed it down as a good reason why the anime is good. I'll retract what I said. It's not that a faithful adaptation is automatically a good thing for everyone. But let's face it, for most of the manga fans, that's the best option to go. It's primarily because manga fans watch the anime adaptation mainly to see it in action.

kamalashki said:
would u rather end it with a cliffhanger and have hopes for season 2 which they will never release
or end it in a satisfying way and say meh its ok and carry on to next anime?

Personally, yes, I would rather wait for a sequel. If no sequel comes, it's fine. Then I'll just continue reading the source.
However, if one wishes to finish the anime even if the source is still on going, it's fine... As long as it's a good one. I have yet to watch the FMA 2003, some say it's still good even though it's not the same as the manga.
Let's take a look at Akame ga Kill. Actually, I haven't read the manga yet. When I started watching the series, all I know is that it will have an anime-only ending. Even though I haven't seen the source, I already figured out which episode they started to deviate from the manga... And that's mainly because of the downgrade in the storyline. Sometimes, they feel very rushed too.

kamalashki said:
#u cant cure stupid people

Please refrain from calling other people stupid just because their opinions go against yours. Or at least wait for my answers to your questions so that you can evaluate me well if I'm really stupid.

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
Apr 16, 2017 4:30 AM

Dec 2012
Well if you're curious maybe you should actually watch the rest and find out. Suffice it to say that it's a good show all around that covers all it's bases.
KruszerApr 16, 2017 4:35 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 16, 2017 4:48 AM

Feb 2016
So in your opinion, great anime are anime that have good visual and badass characters?
In that case The irregular at magic high school and Aldnoah.Zero are great anime!
anhthuongemsongApr 16, 2017 5:00 AM
Apr 16, 2017 4:51 AM
Apr 2017
Shoegum said:
LMAO, sure you didn't download Fullmetal Alchemist by mistake?

I downloaded it all while I had the chance. That was because of recommendation from my friends and some website. Sadly the internet in my country is painfully slow. I will never watch any 480p video by streaming. That's why I'm a bit picky.
Apr 16, 2017 4:56 AM
Jul 2018
I can see where your coming from with your opinion, when I was trying to get my friend into it he had a similar opinion at the start and wasn't a fan of the art style or animation.

Its the storyline that he ended up loving, I would recommend pushing through, a lot of people say the first 10 episodes are weak and lacking but once it gets more deeper into the storyline later and the characters develop you might end up loving it like my friend did ^^ I find most people say its the last 10 episodes that really wins you over

Apr 16, 2017 5:01 AM

Jun 2011
1. Unique art, not typical but far cry from ugly

2. Quality of picture? What?

3. Animation is one of the best I've seen for a long TV series.

4. 5 episodes in and you expect to understand everything about a 60+ episode series.

Your whole argument is based on your disdain for the art. I don't think you should continue watching until you get out of your puberty. The first two episodes are fillers by the way.

OK, I just read your other comments, how is it possible for you to claim that FMAB looks worse than Akame ga Kill, Magi, and Nanatsu no Taizai? Each of those series have huge, huge animation flaw that even someone not nitpicky like me could pinpoint. I can only conclude that at this point, you're talking about the art and not animation. You just don't like the art, don't have to force yourself to watch it you know. I didn't like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood too the first time I watched it, it wasn't until 4 or 5 years later where I give it another try and get to like the series.

Never force yourself when you watch an anime.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 16, 2017 5:04 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Like some others are posting, the first season of brotherhood is a rushed version of the canon of the original series. Once you finish the majority of the first series, around episode 10, things will turn up. One thing I can say about brotherhood, is that each season is better than the last.
Apr 16, 2017 5:05 AM

Jun 2015
What's good in FMAB?
Easy:

The last 20 episodes.

What is bad? The other episodes and the ending.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Apr 16, 2017 5:24 AM
Apr 2017
anhthuongemsong said:
So in your opinion, great anime are anime that have good visual and badass characters?
In that case The irregular at magic high school and Aldnoah.Zero are great anime!

Not necessarily. But visual do help a lot. Take OnePunch Man for example, IMO the manga are not that good, but turns out great in anime, because of good visual.
While people say Dragon Ball is one of the greatest anime, not many will watch it nowadays because of old graphic.

ToG25thBaam said:

4. 5 episodes in and you expect to understand everything about a 60+ episode series.

Your whole argument is based on your disdain for the art. I don't think you should continue watching until you get out of your puberty. The first two episodes are fillers by the way.

OK, I just read your other comments, how is it possible for you to claim that FMAB looks worse than Akame ga Kill, Magi, and Nanatsu no Taizai? Each of those series have huge, huge animation flaw that even someone not nitpicky like me could pinpoint. I can only conclude that at this point, you're talking about the art and not animation. You just don't like the art, don't have to force yourself to watch it you know. I didn't like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood too the first time I watched it, it wasn't until 4 or 5 years later where I give it another try and get to like the series.

My whole argument is not all about art. Number 1 to 3 probably constitutes only about 40%. The rest are mainly because I failed to find the pace of the anime.
Yes it's art, not the animation. Never thought it could be broken down separately, but you're right anyway.
Did not noticed that there was animation flaw in those series. I just thought the movement is great.

Jixte said:
I can see where your coming from with your opinion, when I was trying to get my friend into it he had a similar opinion at the start and wasn't a fan of the art style or animation.

Its the storyline that he ended up loving, I would recommend pushing through, a lot of people say the first 10 episodes are weak and lacking but once it gets more deeper into the storyline later and the characters develop you might end up loving it like my friend did ^^ I find most people say its the last 10 episodes that really wins you over

anime-prime said:
Like some others are posting, the first season of brotherhood is a rushed version of the canon of the original series. Once you finish the majority of the first series, around episode 10, things will turn up. One thing I can say about brotherhood, is that each season is better than the last.

Thanks. Will give it a try.

Takamura-sama said:
What's good in FMAB?
Easy:

The last 20 episodes.

Does that mean I should start from the last 20?
Apr 16, 2017 5:26 AM

Jun 2015
Astaroth_F said:
anhthuongemsong said:

Not necessarily. But visual do help a lot. Take OnePunch Man for example, IMO the manga are not that good, but turns out great in anime, because of good visual.
While people say Dragon Ball is one of the greatest anime, not many will watch it nowadays because of old graphic.

ToG25thBaam said:

My whole argument is not all about art. Number 1 to 3 probably constitutes only about 40%. The rest are mainly because I failed to find the pace of the anime.
Yes it's art, not the animation. Never thought it could be broken down separately, but you're right anyway.
Did not noticed that there was animation flaw in those series. I just thought the movement is great.

Jixte said:

anime-prime said:

Thanks. Will give it a try.

Takamura-sama said:
What's good in FMAB?
Easy:

The last 20 episodes.

Does that mean I should start from the last 20?

No, If I were you I wouldn't start it. You would be completely lost if you started then.
I personally didn't like the start that much.
Check out my list and check my scores compared to your scores. If we have somewhat same taste don't watch it if it differs a lot watch it.

In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Apr 16, 2017 6:16 AM

Feb 2016
As someone who has seen the Original FMA, i thinkt he bor version is a knock off of the oringinal made to appeal to shounen fans :p
Apr 16, 2017 6:29 AM

Dec 2015
The fact that your main complaints are "Characters aren´t badass or handsome enough" and "It isn´t drawn good enough" makes me think you don´t get this anime in the slightest. I don´t even agree with these points in the slightest.
Apr 16, 2017 6:37 AM

Jun 2011
Astaroth_F said:
It's definitely the art, I mean, if I dislike one part of a show, the rest won't appear to be as good as it is. If Magi, Nanatsu no Taizai, or Akame ga Kill has the art of FMAB, it won't look as appetizing as it would. 5 episodes would feel like 20 if you have a certain bias against it before you even watch it.

From Magi, there was the 3 fps infamous staircase scene. Can't recall any specific scenes from NnT and AgK right now but I do remember some complaints from the fanbase back when I was watching the show.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

» Why doesn’t Lust show more lust? ( 1 2 )

lordJahoo - Apr 2

50 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 11, 6:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.