Forum Settings
Forums

Is Hollywood getting better at making live action anime adaptations or not?

New
Apr 11, 2017 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
After seeing the recent Ghost in the shell movie, I started to ask my cousin about live action adaptations of anime and if they have gotten better through out the years. We both had slightly different opinions but we agreed Hollywood is doing better with anime adaptations. For instance, the Ghost in the Shell movie may not get high reviews(it's average to most critics) but, it definitely the best Hollywood anime adaptation so far and it can only get better. What is everyone else thoughts on the matter.
Apr 11, 2017 10:37 PM

Jun 2015
Given the adaptation of Dragon Ball, there's nowhere to go but up from there.
Apr 11, 2017 10:41 PM

Mar 2008
For starters, I think it would be quite enlightening to see a list of all these "Hollywood" adaptations of "anime"
Apr 11, 2017 10:52 PM

Aug 2015
Depends on content and on which standard you compare it to.
If we go by Dragon ball standard then well, It's hard to get worse than that.
And source here, Ghost in the shell is definitely more suit as hollywood/western than dragon ball.
Source such as Monster and Ghost in the shell or classic such as Ningen shikkaku is what i believe staffs don't have culture barrier or medium barrier in term of adapting them.
The thing about hollywood adaptions is that, when they try to have the same design as the source, most of time it just feel like a cosplay group filming themselves.
Apr 11, 2017 10:56 PM

May 2010
Watch Edge of Tomorrow for another good one if you haven't.
Apr 11, 2017 11:02 PM

Apr 2016
Ghost in the Shell was good I guess but I have seen better anime/manga live actions which are not made by Hollywood. For example Oldboy or Ruroni Kenshin. Edge of Tomorrow is also good.

The Matrix trilogy is also heavily inspired from Ghost in the Shell, so that's good.
Apr 11, 2017 11:03 PM

Aug 2015
Brb said:
Given the adaptation of Dragon Ball, there's nowhere to go but up from there.

That dragon ball adaptation is the only one ive seen so i hope its only going up from there. That has put me off watching any other live adaptation. I think i might check out the death note one coming out though.
Apr 12, 2017 4:07 AM
Jul 2018
rvbrick said:
No

There's Dragon Ball Evolution and Ghost in The Shell and that's pretty much it. Evolution was mostly insufferable and Ghost in The Shell was perfectly mediocre though the plot got pretty hard to stomach at times.

Battle Angel Alita comes out next year. I'm hoping it's a half decent movie but even if it's not there's still the upside of the original manga likely getting a reissue like it did in Japan.

There are other Hollywood anime adaptations you may not be aware of. For instance speed racer and kite.
Apr 12, 2017 4:17 AM

Oct 2016
Yep IMO, they're getting the hang of it. I hope they improve more though.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 12, 2017 4:27 AM

Feb 2013
how do you separate holywood movies from other movies? is every non-asian live action anime holywood?
Apr 12, 2017 4:32 AM

Jun 2016
romagia said:
how do you separate holywood movies from other movies? is every non-asian live action anime holywood?

hollywood movies are movies made by production house in hollywood/USA. bollywood movies are movies made in india. british movie are movies made by a production house in britain, and so on so on.
"there's a difference between reaching your dreams and finding happiness"-Nana

Apr 12, 2017 4:42 AM

Feb 2013
Sora-desuINA said:
romagia said:

hollywood movies are movies made by production house in hollywood/USA. bollywood movies are movies made in india. british movie are movies made by a production house in britain, and so on so on.
so it's not a protected designation of origin? any united statian can make a movie and say it's hollywood? what about canadians?
what if a japanese makes an american film studio?
Apr 12, 2017 4:52 AM

Jun 2016
romagia said:
Sora-desuINA said:

so it's not a protected designation of origin? any united statian can make a movie and say it's hollywood? what about canadians?

i think looking up on the internet will give you a more satisfying answers, this should be a good start

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollywood
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_the_United_Kingdom

and some movies are also not entirely hollwood a.k.a collaboration between film industries (the most common are british-american, canadian-american, etc)
"there's a difference between reaching your dreams and finding happiness"-Nana

Apr 12, 2017 5:02 AM
Feb 2016
Turtles_Leader said:
The big problem with hollywood anime adaptation is that they take very big titles, which are either not fit to live action, either very well known and critically acclaimed and dumbed/change their core to fit everyone in the public (ghost in the Shell). But if they took something mainstream enough they could make correct adaptations. If I'm not wrong, edge of tomorrow was adapted from a manga.

I agree. They could just take a concept from anime/manga and just create a story of their own around said concept.
Apr 12, 2017 5:10 AM

Feb 2013
Sora-desuINA said:
romagia said:

i think looking up on the internet will give you a more satisfying answers, this should be a good start

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_the_United_Kingdom

and some movies are also not entirely hollwood a.k.a collaboration between film industries (the most common are british-american, canadian-american, etc)
but none of these links are about hollywood or goats in the shell
until they make a bollywood ghost in the shell
Apr 12, 2017 5:15 AM

Jul 2015
We shall see once Cameron's and Rodriguez' adaptation of GUNNM finally comes out. I actually have rather high expectations for that film.

So far, I only have heard positive comments of Japanese live action adaptations, although only of a few titles. Then again, Hollywood's Edge of Tomorrow (adaptation of All You Need Is Kill) wasn't shit either, but that's like the only decent one that has been done in the West. So I'm guessing that Japan wins just because they've tried more times than Hollywood.
Apr 12, 2017 5:35 AM

Nov 2016
I suppose not wanting to be the next Dragonball Evolution/The Last Airbender is a good motivation.
Apr 12, 2017 5:37 AM

Aug 2014
Big no.
Hollywood should stay away from Anime.
Apr 12, 2017 6:03 AM

Feb 2015
Ehhh, I've seen quite a few good rant thread about the DN Live Action and FMA Live Action; seems like Hollywood can dig this...
Apr 12, 2017 10:34 AM

Aug 2016
Dr-Eyes said:
Big no.
Hollywood should stay away from Anime.

Agreed.

I hope they never pull off a successful live action anime adaptation. I don't want the chance of seeing a series I enjoy to be butchered
Apr 12, 2017 10:41 AM

Feb 2010
I don't think treating these movies as 'adaptions' makes a lot of sense, they're usually more like re-imaginations or loosely based on the source material. Judging them like that probably gives a better idea of how good these movies are, although a bunch of them are still crappy from that angle. But strictly as an adaption a lot of them are bound to fail because of time constraints and taking a lot of freedom with the source. Personally I don't think they need to be good adaptions, just good movies.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 12, 2017 8:59 PM

Jan 2017
Getting better?
Hahahahahahaha
Nice joke!

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Apr 12, 2017 9:46 PM

Apr 2017
No.

The purpose of Hollywood is to make money. That's all.

Nothing good or genuine can come from such a mindset. To do good movies, books or whatever takes more than that.
Apr 13, 2017 12:41 AM

Mar 2015
From the looks of it, Death note movie will tank. Akira won't resonate well with the western audience because it was heavily based on Japan's post-ww2 struggle, to begin with. Even though it was a step in the right direction, Ghost in the Shell is a financial failure. So, studios probably will hesitate to invest a lot of money to future projects.

Honestly, Hollywood can't make a decent adaptation of games, an entertainment medium a huge number of moviegoers know and love. So, it's too much to expect them to make a good anime adaptation when they don't even understand the medium.

And which anime titles can be adapted? Ghost in the shell is very west friendly. There aren't many well-known anime classics that will make a good movie.
Apr 13, 2017 12:44 AM

Apr 2017
The White-washing.. part... it's gruesome yet it makes me nauseous...

Quit this crap already... I'm very disappointed... from the viewers also

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 13, 2017 1:54 AM

Jun 2013
mimiiria said:
We shall see once Cameron's and Rodriguez' adaptation of GUNNM finally comes out. I actually have rather high expectations for that film.

So far, I only have heard positive comments of Japanese live action adaptations, although only of a few titles. Then again, Hollywood's Edge of Tomorrow (adaptation of All You Need Is Kill) wasn't shit either, but that's like the only decent one that has been done in the West. So I'm guessing that Japan wins just because they've tried more times than Hollywood.

Think GUNNM could work just like GitS. Its setting is very Blade Runner-like. Unfortunately, the project seems to be on hold. Not expecting anything great but I do hope it will rekindle this series, so it gets a proper anime adaptation. We know the OVA is shit.
Apr 13, 2017 2:01 AM
Nov 2016
The problem with live action adaptations is that we (the anime watchers) are not thier audience. Hollywood will forever keep fucking up the story to any adaption they make. I don't know why they don't just ride the weeb wave and actually give us what we want, but in live action form....Why must they have to convolute the shit out of the story or alter it so bad that it's just a skeleton of the actual show. They don't only do this with anime adaptions either, just look at Total Recall for instance......WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!?

Anyways, I have no faith in Hollywood....

More topics from this board

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 4 hours ago

3 by nishant0 »»
10 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

40 by FanofAction »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

72 by luckyrune »»
13 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 56 minutes ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
17 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9065 by Baserleak »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.