Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2017 7:17 AM

Mar 2014
Hey everyone! So, I know OVAs still come out, but typically nowadays they're only as extra episodes for existing TV series, or as a promotional episode or two in the lead-up to a TV series.

The days when OVAs were original stories or when they were standalone series seems to have been left behind in the 80s and 90s.

As somebody who grew up watching a lot of that stuff as it was being brought over to western audiences, it's a big part of anime culture to me, and since it's pretty much disappeared entirely within the past 10-15 years, I wonder if it could ever make a resurgence.

Me, personally, I hope it's possible. However, I think one thing that might help it out would be a return of traditional CEL animation. We already saw how excited people got over the use of traditional animation in Mob Psycho 100, and in that show it was only used in a limited capacity.
Imagine how excited the niche audience of CEL enthusiasts (such as myself) would be if traditional animation made a comeback, I personally think it'd make sense in order to garner excitement from this crowd, and the OVA release format seems like it'd be more kind to this style of production.

Either way, even if CEL animation isn't the route forward (and it's likely not, it's just a pipe dream of mine), I still wonder if the release of original and exciting OVAs could make a comeback at some point to the level of popularity as they used to be in the 80s and 90s.

What do you guys think? Could OVAs ever make a comeback in popularity at the same level as they used to be?
vigorousjammerApr 11, 2017 7:21 AM
::End of Transmission::

Apr 11, 2017 8:02 AM

Feb 2013
The ova industry got pretty much replaced by late night anime. I'd rather have 13/26 episodes original series than 1-6 episode standalone ovas.

As for Cel vs Digital i don't have strong preferences.. but it's the first time i hear of Mob 100 using CEL, and that deffo bumped my interest in the series.
Apr 11, 2017 8:04 AM

Apr 2015
If we had more OVAs we'd have more uncensored boobs, so that would be nice.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 11, 2017 8:12 AM

Mar 2014
romagia said:
The ova industry got pretty much replaced by late night anime. I'd rather have 13/26 episodes original series than 1-6 episode standalone ovas.

As for Cel vs Digital i don't have strong preferences.. but it's the first time i hear of Mob 100 using CEL, and that deffo bumped my interest in the series.

They didn't use CEL, but they used paint on glass animation for specific shots, as well as the ending.

Apr 11, 2017 8:14 AM

Mar 2017
-there are rarely some OVA's that have to do with the main story, so if that happens, it probably will.

Apr 11, 2017 8:17 AM

Feb 2016
I don't mind digital animation - but I have to agree that CEL animation would be lovely.

There are still OVAs being released and the current ongoing "Zaregoto Series: Kubikiri Cycle" is doing pretty well I think. Yet spending about 6000 Yen for a single episode seems kinda "expensive" for "new anime fans".

Not OVA - but ONA series like the current ongoing "Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt" is actually doing a great job with offering a pretty cheap digital version of a high quality animation. Maybe this will be a thing? [Offering the episodes not in form of a Bluray or DVD but selling them via Amazon/Playstation Store/etc.]

And not to forget about the uncensored stuff if you're into naked boobs.
Apr 11, 2017 8:18 AM

Jun 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think OVA releases were exclusively made using such traditional technique even back in the day, no? What's the corelation? On your topic, I'd gladly welcome them to make a comeback but for a different reason; they are usually uncensored as they are generally released for home video free from broadcast code.
Apr 11, 2017 8:40 AM

Jun 2009
Would be cool to have more original anime OVAs or OVA adaptions of other source material. Corpse Party is probably the closet thing that we have now and that anime sucked in my opinion.
Apr 11, 2017 8:59 AM

Mar 2014
Impala said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think OVA releases were exclusively made using such traditional technique even back in the day, no? What's the corelation?

Well pretty much all anime pre-1999 used traditional animation. I just feel like OVA typically had the most impressive animation due to the lengthier release schedule.

CEL animation, by it's very nature, takes more time to produce, but I've always preferred the end result compared to digital, with a more tactile feel to the artwork, which is especially evident in the linework.
The correlation is basically just... I think the longer production schedule of the OVA format could lend itself well to CEL animation making a comeback more easily than something like a faster-paced weekly TV schedule (where animators had to either cut more corners with the animation or have a lengthier pre-release production window).

cure_potato said:

Not OVA - but ONA series like the current ongoing "Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt" is actually doing a great job with offering a pretty cheap digital version of a high quality animation. Maybe this will be a thing? [Offering the episodes not in form of a Bluray or DVD but selling them via Amazon/Playstation Store/etc.]

Actually, Yeah, that's a great point. I could totally see ONAs becoming the new haven for this kind of thing if a market developed for it.

Perhaps a good comparison would be how digital distribution for video games allowed for many more small, independent game devs to get games released that would have never seen the light of day as a physical copy.

Apr 11, 2017 9:09 AM

Jun 2014
I definitely welcome it. Between the fact that there will always be stories that will be better paced/make more sense with an awkward # of episodes, the overwork epidemic in Japan that could be partially rectified by longer schedules, and the abundance of poor or unfinished episodes airing before the issues are solved for the BDs anyway, I think OVAs/ONAs should have a considerably larger role in anime than they do now.
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Apr 11, 2017 9:13 AM

Sep 2011
I'd like to see some more ova's so we can have some experimental animation, but I do also think its worth acknowledging just how godawful ova's really were with a very select few actually being good.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 11, 2017 9:49 AM

Aug 2014
With the advent of digital distribution and late night TV. From a business perspective, it's much more profitable to go from broadcast to video, for exposure and sales. The industry has adjusted far too much to make a return to the OVA model.

But content-wise I don't think it affects much. A lot of OVAs were testing the waters for TV series, not too different than one cour series laying that path for sequels later on today. The schedule is much more constrained, but there are still studios capable of pushing out high quality work. What has changed is the content being adapted.

Cel vs. digital is a separate issue. There is just much more charm to the lines and coloring of cels. I feel with the abundance of digital animators and outsourcing due to change in business model, there is a detachment from their work, and I, in turn, don't feel any love and warmth from the animation as long as it looks "nice". While there's some duds among hand-drawn works as well, at it's best, I much prefer cel animation.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 11, 2017 4:35 PM

Oct 2015
vigorousjammer said:
Hey everyone! So, I know OVAs still come out, but typically nowadays they're only as extra episodes for existing TV series, or as a promotional episode or two in the lead-up to a TV series.

The days when OVAs were original stories or when they were standalone series seems to have been left behind in the 80s and 90s.

As somebody who grew up watching a lot of that stuff as it was being brought over to western audiences, it's a big part of anime culture to me, and since it's pretty much disappeared entirely within the past 10-15 years, I wonder if it could ever make a resurgence.

Me, personally, I hope it's possible. However, I think one thing that might help it out would be a return of traditional CEL animation. We already saw how excited people got over the use of traditional animation in Mob Psycho 100, and in that show it was only used in a limited capacity.
Imagine how excited the niche audience of CEL enthusiasts (such as myself) would be if traditional animation made a comeback, I personally think it'd make sense in order to garner excitement from this crowd, and the OVA release format seems like it'd be more kind to this style of production.

Either way, even if CEL animation isn't the route forward (and it's likely not, it's just a pipe dream of mine), I still wonder if the release of original and exciting OVAs could make a comeback at some point to the level of popularity as they used to be in the 80s and 90s.

What do you guys think? Could OVAs ever make a comeback in popularity at the same level as they used to be?

Ye man, even with the sheer content of shows we get, Ovas are rare as cock now; with most studios lacking the money power to produce series all by themselves, they are reliant on business sponsors who are far less willing to take risks.
So when todays tv shows find it as hard to be funded as Ovas used to back then, no, we wont see anything like the 80s 90s ova boom anytime soon.
Apr 11, 2017 4:37 PM

Feb 2015
Before asking for OVAs ask for the series first dude... Come on...
Apr 11, 2017 6:31 PM

Mar 2014
QuattroVaginas said:
With the advent of digital distribution and late night TV. From a business perspective, it's much more profitable to go from broadcast to video, for exposure and sales. The industry has adjusted far too much to make a return to the OVA model.

But content-wise I don't think it affects much. A lot of OVAs were testing the waters for TV series, not too different than one cour series laying that path for sequels later on today. The schedule is much more constrained, but there are still studios capable of pushing out high quality work. What has changed is the content being adapted.

Cel vs. digital is a separate issue. There is just much more charm to the lines and coloring of cels. I feel with the abundance of digital animators and outsourcing due to change in business model, there is a detachment from their work, and I, in turn, don't feel any love and warmth from the animation as long as it looks "nice". While there's some duds among hand-drawn works as well, at it's best, I much prefer cel animation.

100% agree.

JizzyHitler said:
I'd like to see some more ova's so we can have some experimental animation, but I do also think its worth acknowledging just how godawful ova's really were with a very select few actually being good.

Well, sure... but I think even a lot of the bad OVAs from back then were still interesting, having a b-movie kind of charm.
vigorousjammerApr 11, 2017 6:38 PM

Apr 12, 2017 10:14 PM

Jun 2009
JizzyHitler said:

Some of them are really awful or meh. You did have really good ones too.
Apr 12, 2017 11:09 PM

Mar 2017
CatSoul said:
If we had more OVAs we'd have more uncensored boobs, so that would be nice.

truest statement ever senpai. kinda sad how there are rarely any animes now that have uncensored boobs. Hoping for more new animes with uncensored oppai!!
Apr 13, 2017 12:19 AM

Oct 2016
I hope so! OVAs are okay since they don't have any unnecessary censoring (gore or H). But they tend to have less episodes so I still prefer series.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 13, 2017 12:28 AM

Nov 2011
I heavily doubt it. If anything of that nature became more prominent, it would probably be direct-to-online (ONAs) rather than direct-to-home-release.

I also don't think it would affect the type of content currently being adapted by much, if any, if that happened, nor would it be particularly more likely to return to CEL animation over digital.
Apr 13, 2017 12:46 AM
Jul 2018
As @TripleSRank said, they're heavily outdated, not to mention, incredibly invonvenient to the newer generations. And... the newer generations don't like CEL animation.

Sorry, but those days are over. We're going to get TV series and ONAs in the future.

Edit: People noted that OVAs don't have much to add to the story nowadays, but forgot to mention that they're only really sold with manga volumes now.
Apr 13, 2017 1:00 AM
Nov 2016
seeing as Hellsing Ultimate is an OVA and it is fan freakin tastic, I don't see why there wouldn't be more. You have more freedom to do what you want in an OVA than a TV series.
Apr 13, 2017 3:02 AM

Jun 2007
I wouldn't count on cels coming back; IIRC the digital transition happened because some cel manufacturers went out of business around 1999-2000, so animation production had to evolve or else. And I doubt they'd fit well with today's workforce talents and staffing levels that're designed and budgeted for digital coloring. It's a lot harder and slower to transfer cels to and from China/Korea for corrections and such, compared to scanned drawings.

As others have pointed out, the OVA market of yesteryear has largely transitioned into the latenight 1-cour TV anime of today. And since latenight anime don't make money from the TV airings, they can be thought of as extended-length OVAs (compared to the average 80s/90s OVA length) that happen to get promotional broadcasts before the disc release. Plus, there's a high nostalgia-goggles factor when looking back at OVAs. Plenty of them were made to promote manga, often as "here's a random sampling of scenes from a manga" as opposed to modern TV anime adapting an arc or two or three of their source manga/LNs. Numerous OVAs were abruptly canceled if sales of the first volume or two weren't good. In summary: the structural shortcomings of modern anime are still present in old-tyme OVAs, just in a slightly different form.

kukukachu said:
seeing as Hellsing Ultimate is an OVA and it is fan freakin tastic, I don't see why there wouldn't be more. You have more freedom to do what you want in an OVA than a TV series.
Hellsing Ultimate was a remake of an established property though, not a new/experimental OVA striking out to sink or swim on its own merits.
Apr 13, 2017 7:03 AM

Mar 2014
Aerza said:
the newer generations don't like CEL animation.

I have to imagine that's only because they haven't seen CEL animation in HD, since most older series never got HD transfers onto blu-rays.

So, initially, before blu-rays were widely available, I think that "old animation" got a bad reputation, since the new series, in HD had a higher resolution, and a clearer picture overall, and all of the old stuff was either on DVD or even older formats like Laserdisc and VHS.

More and more older CEL animated series have gotten blu-ray releases nowadays, however, complete with brand-new film transfers... and as this persists, I've seen more and more people come out of the woodwork as fans of CEL animation.

I've also seen a bunch of people who still claim they "Can't tell the difference", and it seems that's still the popular opinion... but I think the popularity of CEL animation is growing, and maybe it won't happen within the next 10 or even 20 years, but I could perhaps see it eventually making a minor comeback, much like vinyl records have recently.

I don't think there's any chance of it becoming the de facto standard once again, but I do think there's a possibility of a minor resurgence of the artform to cater to a niche audience.

Zalis said:
I wouldn't count on cels coming back; IIRC the digital transition happened because some cel manufacturers went out of business around 1999-2000, so animation production had to evolve or else. And I doubt they'd fit well with today's workforce talents and staffing levels that're designed and budgeted for digital coloring. It's a lot harder and slower to transfer cels to and from China/Korea for corrections and such, compared to scanned drawings.

I searched for "blank animation cels" and I found acetate cels which are still being sold online, and at normal prices such as $69.95 for a 100-pack, so they still seem to be manufactured.

I definitely think the larger hurdle would be going back to the old production methods, even without taking shipping costs into consideration like you did. I'm sure there's still a lot of old talent which knows how to best work with CEL animation, but will the new talent be too familiar with digital to make the transition? Do animation studios even still have lightboxes in them, or did they sell them all off with the transition to digital? There's a whole bunch of stuff to consider in those respects... but I think it could potentially happen if enough people put their money where their mouth is and they see a substantial enough increase in bluray sales of older productions.
vigorousjammerApr 13, 2017 7:07 AM

Apr 13, 2017 7:09 AM

Apr 2016
I would love it if OVAs like FLCL and Detroit Metal City can come back. I love those!
Apr 13, 2017 7:17 AM

Dec 2014
Shaft still makes OVAs, sometimes as standalone instalments to their pre-existing and extremely popular series (such as monogatari, and where the OVAs are actually relevant to the entire story instead of merely bonus material), and with their new series which I honestly can't wait to start, Kubikiri Cycle.

Otherwise, I don't think CEL animation will be necessary to bring OVAs back. Certainly, I do love CEL animation, but if OVAs come back, I'm not sure if it'd be fully due to CEL animation, but more-so due to more animators wishing to do passion-projects and the likes.

Honestly, I do prefer having full-length series instead of short OVAs, so personally, it isn't a nightmare if they never return to their full-glory, but it would be nice to see them make a common-place return, essentially.
Apr 13, 2017 1:14 PM

Jun 2007
vigorousjammer said:
Aerza said:
the newer generations don't like CEL animation.

I have to imagine that's only because they haven't seen CEL animation in HD, since most older series never got HD transfers onto blu-rays.

So, initially, before blu-rays were widely available, I think that "old animation" got a bad reputation, since the new series, in HD had a higher resolution, and a clearer picture overall, and all of the old stuff was either on DVD or even older formats like Laserdisc and VHS.

More and more older CEL animated series have gotten blu-ray releases nowadays, however, complete with brand-new film transfers... and as this persists, I've seen more and more people come out of the woodwork as fans of CEL animation.
To make matters worse, I'd say people's exposure to cel-era anime in recent years has come from old DVD-rips re-encoded at lower bitrates on bootleg streaming sites. But although cel anime on BD has apparently won a few converts, I don't see it making that much of a difference. First, most aspects that people dislike about older anime aren't changed or improved on BD: character designs, color palettes, and being made in 4:3 (excepting some unfortunate cropped-to-16:9 releases). Second, newer/casual fans don't like film grain, as it takes away from the bright/clean/smooth look they prefer. However, trying to remove film grain erases detail and damages the overall image, sometimes resulting in Blu-Rays that look worse than the DVDs. So companies are damned if they do, damned if they don't when it comes to film grain, because the old-guard collectors that're most willing to shell out for BDs justifiably want that grain retained.

Aside from that, some companies have taken to simply upscaling analog masters for old anime instead of rescanning the film. Either they've begun to exhaust the well of shows with intact film stock available, or they figure they can make more money by cutting corners. And these are the Japanese companies doing these shoddy upscales, not the overseas publishers whom some accuse of ruining BD releases.
Apr 14, 2017 2:03 AM
Nov 2016
Zalis said:

kukukachu said:
Hellsing Ultimate was a remake of an established property though, not a new/experimental OVA striking out to sink or swim on its own merits.
That's fair, but the OVA blew the TV series out of the water in every way.
Apr 14, 2017 7:14 PM

Jun 2009
Most old OVAs are not even bad. Most younger fans probably just watch Bennett the Sage's review and go by what he said. Same goes with the Cartoon Network gen fans (Mid-late and early 30's fans).
Apr 15, 2017 10:46 AM

Oct 2015
what happened to mixtapes in modern hip hop happened to ova's in modern anime sigh
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Apr 15, 2017 11:40 AM

Feb 2010
Even if they did, in today's fansub landscape they would probably be ignored like most of the few OVAs that do still come out (still waiting for Usogui subs). But yeah, I wouldn't be against more OVAs, if they actually made them with traditional animation I'd even be all for it but I doubt that is an actual option. But in general what I miss the most from the 90s and 80s aren't the OVAs but the 50 episode TV Series.
I probably regret this post by now.

More topics from this board

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

11 by Ex-Aid »»
56 seconds ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

32 by Ex-Aid »»
5 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 10 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

50 by Ex-Aid »»
15 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

979 by Ixtiilii »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.