Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 13, 2017 12:38 PM
Jul 2018
Poluss said:
At last, it seems this time we have a classic fantasy adventure anime without all these "isekai", "return to death" or other stupid gimmicks.

(I'll try making it short.)

I won't comment on the 'isekai' because more's revealed in the story. And RbD isn't stupid (but you might consider it a gimmick if you wish for the 'attention-attracting'--but you'd be blind not to acknowledge the importance it had in the story)--but instead illogical decisions of villains in delaying the killing of characters, even though not doing so prejudices them. Because it'd be too inconvenient for the writers, wouldn't it? Gotta have that sweet convenience that's been accepted as the norm since always.) Oh and plot armor.

bastek66 said:
GangsterCat said:
- it reeks so much chuuni with this magic stuff

What does this critique mean?

He means that the chanting doesn't appears authentic. I think this is especially true when it's such non-serious-looking characters doing it. And it might even provoke some cringe.

What bothered me in this episode was how--for a seeming-serious setting, an apparently wise female mage that's been hinted to be much older than she appears, placed herself in such a risky position of approaching so close to some random beast-man... (That just earlier had killed a pursuer besides else.)

The story hasn't told that she isn't as fragile as she appears. She's been presented as some weak girl that was dying of hunger. She's cast some spells but nothing that'd prevent someone from breaking her neck.

We could assume she had a way to 'see a person's heart' to know whether they're 'evil', which is why she approached the beast guy without concern. But then:

Some time after she goes on making a contract with him to be sure he'd not harm her. He had asked her whether she fears him and she says she doesn't due to his appearance alone. Oh well.

So uh, I don't think she was well-written. I can't just go and blame her for being stupid when it's been heavily implied otherwise--but then she endangers her precious life--acting in discordance with the character she's been presented as.

Then this guy appears and he looks totally out of place here. He was really chasing a beast man? If it were practically anyone other than the kind beast guy we got, he'd...not succeed--all things considered, he'd have been killed. He couldn't honestly handle a good bandit, with those spells that he appeared quite inexperienced with.
It helped that the beast guy was such a scaredy-cat. But yeah, under normal circumstances it'd not have gone this way.

The reason the kid gave was poor excuse of the writer ('I've to get stronger')--that appears to me was just to add some cute boy for viewers to like. And is he really some prodigy to learn (strong) magic that easily or is magic there just that easy to learn? It'd be a minus to me if so.
Apr 13, 2017 3:53 PM

Jan 2011
Went down pretty easily. We'll see. I don't think this can easily disappoint as it feels like it has both a lot to offer but isn't trying to be something it's not.
Apr 13, 2017 9:16 PM

May 2009
Rehls said:
He means that the chanting doesn't appears authentic. I think this is especially true when it's such non-serious-looking characters doing it. And it might even provoke some cringe.

How is chanting supposed to be authentic? Why does it matter if character looks serious or not?
Rehls said:
Then this guy appears and he looks totally out of place here. He was really chasing a beast man? If it were practically anyone other than the kind beast guy we got, he'd...not succeed--all things considered, he'd have been killed. He couldn't honestly handle a good bandit, with those spells that he appeared quite inexperienced with.
It helped that the beast guy was such a scaredy-cat. But yeah, under normal circumstances it'd not have gone this way.

The reason the kid gave was poor excuse of the writer ('I've to get stronger')--that appears to me was just to add some cute boy for viewers to like. And is he really some prodigy to learn (strong) magic that easily or is magic there just that easy to learn? It'd be a minus to me if so.

That boy is
Apr 13, 2017 9:53 PM
Jan 2016
Love ii so far pretty original zero probably best loli ive seen in anime in awhile while the mercenary is quite awesome cant wait to see where it goes
Apr 13, 2017 11:25 PM

Sep 2015
starting off the show with exposition and a scene that has no meaning to be there in the first place when you think about it, what a pleasent start. anyway the episode pretty much boiled down to a furry and a witch talking to each other until finally forming a pact in order to find a book. some thing occur, and it comes to reveal that the witch was the writer of the book the whole time. it was pretty boring and the comedy wasn't funny, and it failed to shift the tone. for a big as beast person he sure does come off as an uninteresting character even his tragic backstory is uncompelling since given that i had little time to actually care about the character. zero is alright as much as cute girl charters goes. will probably watch it when it's over
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Apr 14, 2017 1:58 AM
Jul 2018
bastek66 said:
Rehls said:

How is chanting supposed to be authentic? Why does it matter if character looks serious or not?

Well it has to do with the looks. These characters don't look like the real thing if you understand what I mean. It's already something to swallow for the girl to appear so servicey with how cute she is. The boy was even worse.

I didn't try to judge the girl for her looks and was patient waiting for her to prove herself. But in the part with the boy like I said he looked and behaved too much like he belonged to a less serious setting.
And thinking that about him in the part where he cast the 2nd spell where they altered his voice (that is quite feminine, btw) didn't help. He just didn't look threatening. You could say they appeared like impostors.

Ah, something important is how with chanting the characters always make too much a scene. If they don't appear convincing it can all easily look embarrassing to the viewer.
Apr 14, 2017 3:06 AM

Sep 2016
Rehls said:
bastek66 said:

Well it has to do with the looks. These characters don't look like the real thing if you understand what I mean. It's already something to swallow for the girl to appear so servicey with how cute she is. The boy was even worse.

I didn't try to judge the girl for her looks and was patient waiting for her to prove herself. But in the part with the boy like I said he looked and behaved too much like he belonged to a less serious setting.
And thinking that about him in the part where he cast the 2nd spell where they altered his voice (that is quite feminine, btw) didn't help. He just didn't look threatening. You could say they appeared like impostors.

Ah, something important is how with chanting the characters always make too much a scene. If they don't appear convincing it can all easily look embarrassing to the viewer.
yea this magic talk thing and chanting thing and contract thing and 'world is going to be desotryd!!!!!' thing just reeks so much chuuni, almost more than fate stay night
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 14, 2017 4:21 AM

Apr 2016
Rehls said:

What bothered me in this episode was how--for a seeming-serious setting, an apparently wise female mage that's been hinted to be much older than she appears, placed herself in such a risky position of approaching so close to some random beast-man... (That just earlier had killed a pursuer besides else.)

The story hasn't told that she isn't as fragile as she appears. She's been presented as some weak girl that was dying of hunger. She's cast some spells but nothing that'd prevent someone from breaking her neck.

Zero is presented as ower powered, isn't she the one who wrote the book? She has no reason to fear anything or at least not a mere soldier alone. Look at her behavior in every dangerous situation. She fears nothing except having no dinner. That's almost the problem. The show still must reveal where her limits are.

At first Mercenary didn't know she was a witch and his first reflex was to take her with him out of danger so she learnt quickly he is fundamentally a good guy.

She played the "weak girl" card to make mercenary have pity after the "threat" card, the "seducing" card and the "be righteous" card didn't work.

One could just look at it like that : she meets him, she likes him, she wants him, she doesn't need him but he can be of help and it might be funnier for her to travel with someone and mercenary is obviously nice and apparently good-looking for her taste ... and he can cook!!!

Apr 14, 2017 5:33 AM

May 2009
Rehls said:

We could assume she had a way to 'see a person's heart' to know whether they're 'evil', which is why she approached the beast guy without concern. But then:

Some time after she goes on making a contract with him to be sure he'd not harm her. He had asked her whether she fears him and she says she doesn't due to his appearance alone. Oh well.

Since @bastek66 and @Ysad_Ziwezhan already said something about some of your points, here's mine:

Wasn't the contract actually an assurance for the mercenary that she wouldn't harm him, and not the other way around? Because he said something like, "trying to get me off guard so you can slit my throat". When she started creating the contract, she said "I will not kill you". Also, it's to ensure that both will keep their promises like Zero will turn him into human after their journey, in return Mercenary will not leave by her side and continue to protect her.
So I guess, this part is not necessarily because Zero doubts him if he's good or evil.

Also, what he (^) said is true, Zero is presented as over powered. To think that returning mc to a human is "quite simple" for her.

---

As for the show itself, it's not a solid start but fairly interesting. I'll continue watching it. :)

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
Apr 14, 2017 6:55 PM

Mar 2016
This anime looks a lot interesting actually!

And Zero is so beautiful, damn!!!

If you watched 13 Reasons Why in 13 hours in a row (like me) you got my respect !
Apr 14, 2017 9:05 PM
Aug 2011
Symphyon said:
GangsterCat said:
it might be an incomplete adaptation of a serious plot. how is it so hard to understand.

Well it's not "hard" to understand I just probably got confused a bit.

HaXXspetten said:
Well that was interesting enough. Pretty likable main character duo

He's just saying that if it's something with a progressive storyline then it'll be cut short due to being an incomplete 12-episode adaptation, whereas a light-hearted/episodic anime wouldn't really have this problem

Or at least that's how I interpreted it at least

Well that would clarify a bit more. Just got a bit confused at what he meant that's all... but when its put into that way then makes sense.

The problem is this,

Current LN run: February 8, 2014 – present

it's unfinished, unless they continue it this anime might have an incomplete ending unless it has some sort of solid endpoint at the end.

Some work like Magical Girl Raising project where it ended on an actual endpoint/resolution or you rokka: braves of the six flowers where it ends without any real resolution.

Both of these are still going but one anime adaption ended perfectly well, the other stayed open ended and you have to read the LN to even get an endpoint.

Frankly I don't like it when anime does this and it makes me take a point off from it because I think adaptations should be able to stand on there own. Open ends like that ruin it for me and others, so a fear of that is understandable.

I really liked this first episode, but at the same time I hope it doesn't ended open ended.
Apr 15, 2017 11:20 AM

Jul 2014
It was off to an okay-ish start but quickly made good progress throughout the episode.

I loved the way White Fox portrayed the whole scenario of a world with mixed breeds and witches, I'm looking forward for more.

Also, what's Nakajima Atsushi from Bungou Stray Dogs doing in this anime?
Apr 15, 2017 2:50 PM

Jul 2012
Joycdonnell said:
Very nice 1st episode!

The last time that I watched an anime starring a half-beast lookinbg protagonist was.....hum....eh looks that never hehe. I remember Inuyasha but he looks just a human with pointy nails, long silver hair and doge hears. Also Komamura from Bleach but he is just a secondary character.

Like the ending :3

Try Gingitsune. :)
Ever heard of "Mafia"? Check out my spin on the game type with a version similar to "Are You a Werewolf" - Werewolves of the Dark Arts
Apr 15, 2017 11:43 PM
Apr 2017
The episode was entertaining, but I couldn't help thinking that if I was the father I'd tell the wife: "I guess I'm not the father after all...I didn't know you were into that kind of stuff!!!"
Apr 16, 2017 12:11 PM

Dec 2013
Why is Tony the Tiger in my loli anime?
Apr 16, 2017 1:00 PM

Apr 2009
Mysteriala said:
Why is Tony the Tiger in my loli anime?

Because the lolis are gggggggggreat~!!

Sorry... I just had to, after reading your post. xD

As for the first episode... a decent start. I am genuinely interested. I hope the show doesn't disappoint at the end. x3
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
Apr 16, 2017 1:48 PM

Sep 2014
Very promising. I've got high hopes for this one.

FurMerc is going to be the character that had a horrible past and trust issues with witches. This show will spend time seeing if he can overcome his hatred for witches via the relationship with Zero.

Zero is the type that knows it all, can be a bit bigheaded at times, but can get the job done. She has no worries and seems to have been through enough to know when to back off. However, I have a feeling 13 will mess with her judgement.

13, plain and simple. 13 has to be behind everything and will most likeley be the final boss or was killed and Zero is going to go all End Of The World and FurMerc will have to decide if he has to go all Wolverine and kill her or "bring her back" from the rage"

from another forum said:
Though the slight hints of a potential romantic relationship is kinda worrying. I mean she's a little girl and the MC is a big hulking furry and...uh...

I think she's older than she appears. It's like her character design was made to be small in comparison to his as a reference to how big things come in small packages.....granted that saying makes it a horrible pun if the Furry jokes start to happen......:frustrat:

That said, I would actualy like to see a relationship slowly develop between the two of them. I 'm sure he's going to learn her name via her giving it to him to show how much trust and love she has for him.

Oh dear god. DeviantArt must be flooded with Furry pics and Reddit with fanfics from this show. That or just straight up nast shit via 4chan.
Apr 16, 2017 6:05 PM

Aug 2012
Pretty good first episode. Could've gone without the info dump, but I guess they wanted to get that out of the way so we could be fully immersed for the rest of the show. Loved the worldbuilding and characters/interactions, and fantastic soundtrack. Spring 2017 is definitely the season for fans of fantasy.

4.5/5
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 17, 2017 10:17 AM
Sep 2013
Meh. Light novel. Chances of shameless harem wish-fulfillment extremely high. I'll give it a chance though.
Apr 17, 2017 11:01 AM

Apr 2017
I wish Mercenary was real. He looks more comfy to sleep on than my bed.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 17, 2017 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
I found the interaction between Zero and that beastfallen to be very amusing.Not that very solid start but another great show to watch.4.4/5 for this episode, and I think the ending looks great.
Apr 17, 2017 7:07 PM

Jan 2013
Damn, this first episode was great.
The beast guy is so badass, but his reactions are funny xD
While Zero tries to be a badass scary witch but fails all the time xD She is pretty cute :3
I hope this won't be like ReZero where we had a chill funny start but it was just the first episodes xD But i do like this anime.
This is one of those animes that you watch and wish for more episodes already xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 18, 2017 2:59 AM

Apr 2017
Short Incantations...

-Request Denied-

Copying... Spell... MINUS the less power you invoked.. :p

A Grimoires that could leads the world to downfall...

Erased from his Existe- GOHUUM Jk.. xD

A Beast in a Human Form... and A endearing... Midget Witch..

Who could had thought some Non-Human could be this pleasing.. and very terrifying..

5/5..

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 19, 2017 12:22 AM

Aug 2014
Really great start! Has potential!
Apr 19, 2017 7:46 AM

Sep 2014
Great first episode! Nice and quick introduction to the world settings.
Zero sleeping on Merc was too cute. Merc really blushes a lot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) , can't blame him tho.
Loved that ED song, too frigging cute <3
Apr 19, 2017 8:02 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The mixed of Witchs with beasts in a fantastic world, for me was interesting, but the best was the characters, the white tiger i like it, and the mistery of Zero too!!!

Interesting first episode, with a hidden plot...

7/10 and hope this will be better xSD
Apr 21, 2017 8:18 AM
Mar 2017
Finally got to watch this episode! I was looking forward to this series and I have to say that I'm not disappointed, in fact I loved it! The pairing between Zero and our hero is already starting out great and I'm going to love seeing where it's going to go from here.
Apr 21, 2017 7:43 PM
Mar 2012
Altered fall-from-sky trope, mysterious furry guy instead.
Furry & loli relationship both fun & cute. No tsun or weaksauce here.
Tigger sounds surprisingly soft (& cute fluffy face).
More infodump than expected, makes pacing rather odd. So sorcery vs magic. Conflict among human, witch & beast.
ED, like Santa Claus & dwarf.
Apr 22, 2017 1:26 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I really liked the first episodes, this could become one of my favorite series this season.

Mercenary is a pretty cool and really likeable character. Zero is ok so far, I just hope she doesn't get annoying later. The interactions between those two characters was really nice to watch, it had some really great moments (like with the pillow). Overall I like the setting and the story so far, looking forward to the rest of the series!
Apr 23, 2017 2:06 AM

Mar 2009
Nice 1st episode, I usually have a hard time watching a show if it starts out bad, let's hope they keep up the quality and pace of this episode.

gophercg said:

What's a "fall-from-sky" trope?

Lulu ❤ | My MALoween Candy
Apr 23, 2017 4:38 AM
Mar 2012
grave_robber said:
Nice 1st episode, I usually have a hard time watching a show if it starts out bad, let's hope they keep up the quality and pace of this episode.

gophercg said:

What's a "fall-from-sky" trope?

Variant of http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FallingIntoHisArms or http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrashIntoHello
For anime it's usually a girl falling onto guy mc.
Apr 27, 2017 11:39 AM

Apr 2016
Interesting! Im watching this

"If it made you happy, then everything’s okay."
- Haruka Kasugano

Apr 27, 2017 6:56 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty average-ish. Zero's personality was at least somewhat amusing.
May 4, 2017 10:13 AM

Jul 2009
I like Zero already! The ED was so cute!
May 6, 2017 9:06 PM

Jul 2009
Well this was a fun episode! Both Zero and our Mercenary MC seem pretty interesting so far. I thought Zero's seiyuu sounded familiar but turns out she's pretty new :O I really liked the worldbuilding, an the distinction between "sorcery" and "magic" is still a little muddled to me, but seems like magic is more "instantaneous" and you need words, but I'm not sure where the sacrifice is? Whereas sorcery is more strict and there are more rules and restrictions. Well suffice to say Zero basically created "magic" and wrote a book on it ... tsk tsk, this Albus guy doesn't know who he's dealing with :P In any case it looks like he's going to join them maybe? The ED was pretty nice and relaxing as well. Looking forward to watching the next couple of episodes :D
May 12, 2017 3:14 AM

Dec 2014
So far so good. I liked the setting and the fantasy vipe. I hope it doesn't turn out to be another generic magic anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2017 5:24 PM
Sep 2016
Vanschia said:
great 1st episode
I like it so far and I love the setting
so Zero basically the mother of magic?

but holyshit, just imagine the doujin that'll coming

Can't wait for the doujins !!!
May 14, 2017 9:46 AM

Aug 2013
not bad, both Zero and Youhei is quite funny.
Jul 10, 2017 7:22 PM

Jan 2017
It wasn't too bad, but at the same time, it wasn't that great either. The plot/atmosphere of the show sounds like a lot of other anime I've watched. I'm hoping that the next few episodes get better.
Aug 10, 2017 4:47 AM

May 2012
Well this sure was quite an interesting start of the anime! Quite like the setting and the characters already! Looking forwards to see what this anime will have to offer in terms of a story!
Dec 6, 2017 5:02 AM

Sep 2012
SkyDrop said:
I found the interaction between Zero and that beastfallen to be very amusing.Not that very solid start but another great show to watch.4.4/5 for this episode, and I think the ending looks great.
Lambdaa- said:
not bad, both Zero and Youhei is quite funny.

Zero's & Youhei's flirting is amusing lol
Sugram22Dec 6, 2017 5:08 AM
May 31, 2019 6:53 AM

Feb 2018
Rip soup bowl xD..
Jul 23, 2019 8:59 PM
Jul 2018
Using my own magic against me? REQUEST DENIED. LOL. That was so badass.

Pretty good so far. I like the fantasy setting and the characters seem good.
Nov 9, 2020 7:02 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow that's a very special MC, it looks nice so far, especially for the characters, can't wait to see more of Zero
Mar 13, 2021 1:58 AM

Oct 2020
Bruh when Youhei heard Zero's was a witch he ran like the speed of light

And Zero is soo cute!
Jun 19, 2021 9:34 PM
Oct 2019
pretty solid start. decent characters. decent plot. decent humor. i liked it. 7/10
Apr 28, 2023 10:11 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
I’m arriving to this after me and my buddy already watched “Dawn of the Witch” which is definitely something I shouldn’t have done because I already know it spoiled stuff for this show, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying this first episode. It definitely feels a bit odd seeing Zero as a loli after being used to her sexy grown up self in the spin-off/sequel but I did quickly get used to her, and instead of being hot she’s just super cute lol, and she’s already had quite a bit of funny moment with Mercenary, I especially loved when she said Mercenary was the floor and she’d be the body pillow lol.

And damn that ED and its visuals were really nice, it was very cute with a relaxing song which is a combo I am a fan of. I look forward to watching the rest of this and seeing how it connects more with the spin-off/sequel. And lastly it’s nice watching a show from Spring 2017, this is just one year away from when I got back into anime and started watching seasonals, good times lol.
Jan 31, 11:01 PM
Aug 2023
I laughed way more than I probably should have at the Tiger Mercenary running away from Zero after she confirmed she was a witch. So many amusing things like Zero watching her soup fly across and spill on the ground, and her lowkey stealing/eating the Mercenary's soup when he's looking at his map; it really disarmed me at suspecting how OP Zero is apparently is. I enjoyed the dialog also, "why are you taking me with you"..."it just sort of happened".

I did initially find Zero's attitude somewhat unbelievable, but it makes total sense what another poster said about Zero being fearless because she's actually OP, and was just cycling through persuasion tactics of threaten, seducing, appeal to morality, and finally playing the weak girl after those failed.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2017

150 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 2, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2017

64 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 2, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2017

62 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2017

89 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2017

82 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 10:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.