Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2017 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was fun. OP song is very creatively made.

I'm not a big fan of the animation style yet but can be get used to.
The show has a serious sci-fi feel with the setting and mech. That Maya girl has a good sense of working with others although I feel like she does need to be more confident.

The idea of I-Machine definitely has my interest so far.
Apr 9, 2017 8:08 AM
Apr 2017
Agree,its setting is interesting,and serious.I plan to watch more episodes
Apr 9, 2017 1:59 PM
Oct 2009
This was actually a pretty good first episode, with a nice combination of serious science fiction at the core of the setting with some swashbuckling space adventure and humor on the side.

Too bad there is no official or fan translation available right now, because I'd like to recommend the series to more people.
Apr 9, 2017 6:47 PM
May 2009
Definitely liking the Mech designs. Feels like a fun show. And I like how the I-Machines are like remote full-dive drones. Interesting twist on machines in combat, and they seem to already be playing with the mechanic of being separated from their main body.

Too bad it got picked up by Netflix. Both Netflix and Amazon seem determined to annoy me lately when it comes to licensing anime, despite me already paying for both. Netflix loves its "binge watching" strategy, but it's annoying as f*** for a broadcast show. Amazon is charging you extra just to watch their Anime, even if you have Prime already. Both companies just feel really out of touch with the Anime community.
Apr 9, 2017 9:49 PM

Nov 2010
First of all... Hung the professor!!
Well, the characters are generated by the cel shading and there remains wrongness of the motion of the body and lips. It's made by the same studio as "Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio". The dialogue among the space pirates are American style that Japanese have as stereotype and sounds foolish. The machine design is like American comic hero, too. Anyway there still remains the possibility of further development and needs some more episodes to judge.
Apr 9, 2017 10:07 PM

Jan 2009
i dont understand anything lol

any fansubber picking this up? i hate Netflix
Apr 9, 2017 10:17 PM
Oct 2009
kuroneko99 said:
First of all... Hung the professor!!
Well, the characters are generated by the cel shading and there remains wrongness of the motion of the body and lips. It's made by the same studio as "Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio". The dialogue among the space pirates are American style that Japanese have as stereotype and sounds foolish. The machine design is like American comic hero, too. Anyway there still remains the possibility of further development and needs some more episodes to judge.

Actually, I think the motions for the two human characters were pretty good here. The robots less so, although they did have some expressive body language at times, but then again they're supposed to be machines after all.

Consider this takes place in a different world and the characters are not from the same nationality either, so I don't get what's with your "American-style" complaint here. If it's just because of some slang or informal speech patterns, I don't see anything wrong with applying that to people who work outside of the law or doing something that's technically illegal.
Apr 10, 2017 4:57 AM

Nov 2011
From the beginning, I was not well understood the potential of this project anime, seeing that during the announcement and even in PV, is well understood, where they wanted to end the authors. I imagined an anime, fairly trivial, however I guess I caught my aution, then I will give a further opportunity to really understand how this anime. Despite not loving the design in full CG, I must admit that the animations have been realized very well, and CG in itself is good. Some basic ideas I also like, I can not wait to see the next episode.
Apr 11, 2017 9:00 AM

Jun 2013
Damn i was really looking forward to watching this
Apr 11, 2017 3:06 PM

Mar 2014
Something about the dialogue just feels weird, might be because it's a tad too fast paced. Show feels kinda random too, like there's not much actual linear storytelling and progression going on and it's a bit all over the place.
Wonder how it'll play out going forward, if it's manage to put something together or stay as random episodic stuff.
Apr 11, 2017 3:45 PM
Oct 2009
Paulo27 said:
Something about the dialogue just feels weird, might be because it's a tad too fast paced. Show feels kinda random too, like there's not much actual linear storytelling and progression going on and it's a bit all over the place.
Wonder how it'll play out going forward, if it's manage to put something together or stay as random episodic stuff.

Considering that the English dialog was written by a fan translator, not a professional streaming service translator, it's logically going to sound a little odd. Holding any of that against the show sounds, at least in my view, very questionable.

Really? This doesn't seem all that strangely paced for a 12 episode show. In fact, I liked that the script was quite tightly written and didn't waste too much time. Practically every scene had something relevant for the story of the episode or the characters involved.

The storytelling was pretty straightforward, especially for a science fiction or mecha show, and everything (aside from maybe the last little scene, of course) was connected in either implicit or explicit ways. There's even a couple of hints about stuff lurking in the background of the plot, which may get more attention later, but let's look at the big picture:

Student girl and her professor are involved in mining at a site. She mentions a more promising mining site and then gets lost during a storm.

The girl is picked up by pirates who are also interested in mining that other site. She wants to go home, but the pirates mention that's costly. They reach a quick arrangement and go to that other mining place, where a brief battle happens and they pick up the mineral.

Finally, they avoid the authorities and the girl is concerned about getting her body back. Which she does, for reasons we'll learn in a week (it sounds like the pirates picked up the capsule along the way).

Honestly, this isn't exactly as politically complex as a Gundam series or anything, but I don't see what's so "all over the place" either.

Regarding your other point...based on this first episode, I actually doubt it'll be too "random" in the long run. Episodic build-up for a larger story is more likely. The framework established at the very beginning about the mineral being a controversial resource and hints like Id's reaction to said mineral tell me the story will not be all fun and games in the long run (even the OP and ED suggest things aren't going to be so easy).
Apr 11, 2017 4:00 PM

Mar 2014
jgomezg said:
Considering that the English dialog was written by a fan translator, not a professional streaming service translator, it's logically going to sound a little odd. Holding any of that against the show sounds, at least in my view, very questionable.
I'm talking about the way they speak, which has nothing to do with the translation quality. Like I said, probably because it gets a bit fast paced at times and the show was jumping around quite a bit, the dialogue felt detached from the show at times. This is especially true regarding the MC, which was quite weird herself in terms of personality and how she handled the events.
This is mostly me just nitpicking so feel free to ignore but something about the composition didn't sit quite right with me.
Apr 11, 2017 4:27 PM
Oct 2009
Paulo27 said:
I'm talking about the way they speak, which has nothing to do with the translation quality. Like I said, probably because it gets a bit fast paced at times and the show was jumping around quite a bit, the dialogue felt detached from the show at times. This is especially true regarding the MC, which was quite weird herself in terms of personality and how she handled the events.
This is mostly me just nitpicking so feel free to ignore but something about the composition didn't sit quite right with me.

I honestly didn't feel that, considering most of the conversations dealt with the concrete situation at hand and we primarily followed Maya's perspective.

It's too early to pass judgment on her personality, but Maya's behavior seemed reasonable for someone who has some academic knowledge yet absolutely lacks living experience. Which is part of why I think she'll have to learn a lot by the story's end.
Apr 11, 2017 5:22 PM

Jul 2011
I don't like the main girl lol.

But otherwise this was interesting. I didn't know what to expect with such little info, but I like the premise. I'm also getting attached to some of the characters despite not knowing what they look like haha.

The ED reminds me of Garo, and the director did Code Geass lol.
Apr 11, 2017 7:22 PM

Jun 2015
Interesting first episode. Animation is decent. Maya got picked up by pirates when her mining expedition went wrong and is now on the run. The I-Machine is pretty cool. Her body was returned. I'm curious how that happened.
Apr 11, 2017 8:17 PM
Reviewer

Apr 2012
Yep. This was definitely pretty interesting. Almost slipped under my radar this season. Almost. I actually like the 3DCG. They're pretty high-quality cgs. Reminds me of knights of sidonia and a space version of rwby.

Apr 11, 2017 9:49 PM

Jun 2013
I was really looking forward to this show and am glad it finally got subbed
And ive gotta say that it was a lot of fun!
Looking forward to more!
Apr 11, 2017 11:50 PM

Jan 2009
4chan /m/ fansubbed this show finally, we are saved!

damn the concept of this show is good, uploading their whole consciousness/soul into the mecha i-machines lol
Apr 12, 2017 1:00 AM

Jan 2009
looks like this will only be 1 cour (11-13 episodes) base on the bluray box info on their site

i was hoping this will be 2 cours (22-26 episodes) since the Avatar hollywood movie concept is cool
Apr 12, 2017 1:28 PM

Nov 2013
Transferring the mind into a mech to work in outer space is an interesting idea.

Her superior is total scum. He sold the information to a rival company, left her behind and then disposed of her body.

Most likely she will work with the pirates now.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Apr 12, 2017 2:34 PM

Nov 2014
Didn't have high expectations for this but quite enjoyed the first episode.

Animation and designs are good, story very interesting but the fight scene was a bit on the dull side.
Apr 12, 2017 9:06 PM

Nov 2014
This was a really good first episode, admittedly it doesn't look the best but the story is exciting and interesting and the characters are great, I wish that this show wasn't so overlooked
Forum Signature
Apr 12, 2017 9:16 PM

Aug 2014
Cool, more space pirates. Feels like Taniguchi carried over the team dynamic from Active Raid, which was good. Not sure where this is going, but I'm interested.
QuattroVaginasApr 12, 2017 9:36 PM
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 12, 2017 9:41 PM
Oct 2009
QuattroVaginas said:
Cool, more space pirates. Feels like Taniguchi carried over the group dynamic from Active Raid into space. Not sure where this is going, but I'm interested.

I didn't dislike that show, for the record, but ID-0 will have more of an actually serious story and less pure silliness in the long run. There's already a few signs of that in the first episode, given how more attention was given to the setting and technology.

They even released a new video for ID-0 today which also supports that things will get dramatic later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThxlZiqX2M0
jgomezgApr 12, 2017 9:44 PM
Apr 12, 2017 10:16 PM

Aug 2014
jgomezg said:
QuattroVaginas said:
Cool, more space pirates. Feels like Taniguchi carried over the group dynamic from Active Raid into space. Not sure where this is going, but I'm interested.

I didn't dislike that show, for the record, but ID-0 will have more of an actually serious story and less pure silliness in the long run. There's already a few signs of that in the first episode, given how more attention was given to the setting and technology.

They even released a new video for ID-0 today which also supports that things will get dramatic later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThxlZiqX2M0

I just meant the characters; you can draw a lot of parallels between the two teams. And of course the power suits. Main girl here seems kind of boring though. AR was only entertaining with the silly episodes, so hopefully this show handles the serious shit better, if it's going that route.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 12, 2017 10:42 PM
Oct 2009
QuattroVaginas said:

I just meant the characters; you can draw a lot of parallels between the two teams. And of course the power suits. Main girl here seems kind of boring though. AR was only entertaining with the silly episodes, so hopefully this show handles the serious shit better, if it's going that route.

Fair enough. However, I think Maya is already being framed as someone who is actually going to develop during the story. The mood is also a fair amount less lighthearted too. There are witty remarks in ID-0, but they're not breaking or bending the fourth wall and there is more focus on world-building here. In my opinion, this is already better written because the storytelling is interested in more than just making us smile or laugh.

It's important to remember there wasn't really a true protagonist in Active Raid either. A few people thought Asami or Kuroki would assume that role, but it was frankly not that type of story even at the start. This show is looking quite different in that sense, with signs that Maya and probably Id will be central to future developments. Even the promotional materials like the video I've just posted tend to support that.
jgomezgApr 12, 2017 10:47 PM
Apr 13, 2017 11:24 AM

Jul 2016
All the time I was watching it, I knew the story reminded me of something. An inexperienced but straight-laced individual is sent on a mission to the middle of nowhere and dumped by their company, only to meet and join up with a gang of pirates.
IT'S BLACK LAGOON! IT'S BLACK LAGOON IN SPACE! With moe girls and sci-fi logistics to top it off!

As for the actual episode, I'm not a big fan of the characters so far, the technology and world seem interesting enough to hold my attention, and I couldn't see anything particularly wrong with the plot so far. I'll stick with it and see where it goes.
(Can't wait to see Robo-Balalaika)
Apr 13, 2017 12:37 PM

Sep 2013
Space mineral excavations, maya abandoned by the bad professor bur gets saved by pirates and helps out as well.
The Id form is alright, copying consciousness is cool.
Apr 14, 2017 4:14 AM

Dec 2013
Looking forward to the explanation of how they recovered her body, but overall a pretty good start.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 14, 2017 4:37 AM

May 2010
No wonder i thought i've seen that design before.

Anyway, really dope episode so im picking it up! But that ED daaaaaamn lol
KerozinnApr 14, 2017 4:43 AM
Apr 14, 2017 7:18 PM
Jan 2017
The story is interesting, the characters are likable, the CGI is amazing and the music is breathtaking. The atmosphere, humor and story progression kinda remind of Active Raid, one of last year's better shows; and hopefully it will maintain a good mood for the rest of the season. The episode sets up the premise in a comfortable way, easy to understand. Definitely a keeper.
Apr 18, 2017 3:02 PM

Dec 2015
Why do those metallic skeletons look so familiar? (especially the blue one with a scarf)
We get a simple but effective start of an adventure with the heroin being forced to tag along outlaws despite of herself. I actually thought the start intrigue would be a race to reach her body and awaken her ^^"
Nothing noteworthy here or worth continuing but it's a single episode...

2/5 "Great" opening ! (cult voice singing in english)

I thought I was now vaccined to this type of production after I was able t appreciate Bubuki Buranki but no, the heads are so detached from the rest of the pictures... well, I guess I will be used to it again after a few episodes.
Rei_IIIApr 18, 2017 3:08 PM
Apr 23, 2017 4:48 PM

Feb 2013
Space mining. I guess there really are ways to make it less boring.
I'm a sucker for space anime, so I will probably finish this one.
Apr 23, 2017 9:04 PM
Oct 2011
Plus there will probably be less focus on the mining once the story gets further along too.

jgomezg said:
This was actually a pretty good first episode, with a nice combination of serious science fiction at the core of the setting with some swashbuckling space adventure and humor on the side.

Too bad there is no official or fan translation available right now, because I'd like to recommend the series to more people.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the mix of elements quite a bit. Agreed, wish it was getting a real simulcast so that more would check it out.

On the bright side, if it's really picked up by Netflix I'm glad that it'll be pretty much assured to get a dub just like Sidonia and Ajin have.

jgomezg said:
QuattroVaginas said:

Yeah, I think you definitely feel it in the way they are expanding the details of the setting and how things work as Maya works her way through all of this stuff. This was something I used to enjoy in older shows, the small start into something big.

What you said is what I've been hoping for too, there's a real nice staff on this so I'm looking forward to where they want to take this as things develop.
DangerMouseDMApr 23, 2017 9:25 PM
Apr 24, 2017 12:12 AM
Oct 2011
L-Ryoshi said:
Looking forward to the explanation of how they recovered her body, but overall a pretty good start.

Yup, I'm curious. Yeah, I'm liking the setup for this.
Apr 27, 2017 5:03 AM

Mar 2009
This wasn't too bad. And indeed, the mech designs reminded me of Tiger & Bunny as well.

Netflix really needs to start simulcasting their anime, though.
Jun 8, 2017 7:51 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Not really too much into the CG style but the combination of the setting and Taniguchi's name on it is enough to guarantee I watch a couple of episodes more.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 21, 2017 8:13 PM
Mar 2012
ya lots of Active Raid feel & designs, thx Taniguchi. Too much techno jargon at start like AR but it stopped soon enough.
Mind transfer mechanics were interesting, always up for some more Zegapain/Avatar.
There's even lighthearted zylophone ost, but English ed quite a surprise.
Designs bit weird with the head & spine. Pink mech kinda annoying but we'll see how the gang develops. I miss AR's nice 2D designs & interesting politics with plot concepts, might see Taniguchi put of of that.
Oct 6, 2017 10:40 PM

Oct 2012
Netflix finally dropped it on us. An interesting premise but so far a bit cold (maybe because we didn't get much time with the characters outside of their mechanized suits).
Oct 7, 2017 3:13 PM

Sep 2017
I don’t know much about anime but this looks like a solid series. I enjoy watching this.
Feb 25, 2020 2:29 AM

Jan 2011
Well that was a messy first episode. I suppose the next will be the real introduction.
Apr 28, 2022 3:06 AM
Apr 2022
I have a question when the opening credits end they say the name of the show id-o but it always sounds like they say id-2 what's actually being said?
Apr 28, 2022 3:08 AM
Apr 2022
Myself and my family and friends all love the anime shows I introduce them to and this one is on top 10 for me episode 1 give me thirsting for more

More topics from this board

Poll: » ID-0 Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2017

17 by ReaperCreeper »»
Feb 25, 2020 5:33 PM

Poll: » ID-0 Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2017

14 by ReaperCreeper »»
Feb 25, 2020 3:36 AM

Poll: » ID-0 Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2017

22 by ReaperCreeper »»
Feb 25, 2020 3:06 AM

Poll: » ID-0 Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

40 by GreatS »»
Sep 1, 2018 5:15 PM

Poll: » ID-0 Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2017

17 by Seabury »»
Jan 17, 2018 6:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.