Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2017 3:34 AM
Feb 2017
I've been wanting to watch Dragon Ball for a long time now because its premise is interesting and it's IMMENSELY popular. However, I can barely tolerate the quality of the first episodes because it was made so long ago. Should I try to give it another go? Would I be okay (not too confused, somewhat grasps the basics, etc.) if I just skipped right to the more recently made episodes, like Dragon Ball Super?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 7, 2017 3:35 AM

Feb 2013
yes better watch the Dragon Ball Super series , it's objectively better animation story etc
Apr 7, 2017 3:39 AM

Feb 2015
Dragon Ball Super sucks. You'd be better off watching something entirely different. If you really must watch Dragon Ball, go for either Z if you don't mind the slow pacing, otherwise, watch Kai.
Apr 7, 2017 3:45 AM

Feb 2016
The be short, you should not because it is crap (the whole franchise just to be clear).
Apr 7, 2017 3:48 AM

Jun 2011
I actually also wanna ask if Dragon Ball Super is even worth watching anymore with the most recent controversial about it, aside from of course, the nostalgia that comes with the franchise.

To OP, you dropped Cross Game.. damn.. but to answer your question, if you could barely tolerate the old animation, you might as well not watch it. If you're going to start with a newer made episode, I personally haven't seen it, but I'd recommend to start with Dragon Ball Kai, in my opinion it is important to understand at the very least, the background of the main character Goku, and his main rival, Vegeta.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 7, 2017 3:48 AM

Dec 2014
I don't really watch Dragon Ball, but you shouldn't dismiss a series just because it's 'old'. Visuals, of course, are a large contender in whether an animation series is 'good' or not - but a show isn't necessarily bad because of its age.
Apr 7, 2017 3:50 AM

Jan 2016
Dragon Ball/Z was my first manga and anime I have completed and it is still my favorite!!

So my suggestion is watch it but also Dragon Ball Z!!

Dragon Ball Super has its weaks but seeing all characters again after such a long time just makes me happy

*I love Vegeta*
Apr 7, 2017 3:52 AM

Nov 2010
Or you could just read the manga. It's an easy read, and you will get away from slow pacing, filler and old animation.
Apr 7, 2017 4:02 AM

Jan 2016
The first series definitely, then you can stop here. The ending is already satisfaying.
Apr 7, 2017 4:12 AM

Aug 2015
I'm a huge fan of Dragon Ball Z, but tbh i don't even like Dragon Ball. I wouldn't even bother.
Apr 7, 2017 4:21 AM

Apr 2016
Don't waste your time watching any DB.
Apr 7, 2017 4:53 AM

Nov 2016
Why would you want so skip the best Dragonball series (imo) to watch DBS ? Because of better quality ?
Sorry I have to disappoint you, despite beeing new the quality of DBS isn't good for today's standards. The drawings in some episodes are really shitty and the animation is very average . Nothing really improved compared to back then, if you consider that Dragonball is about 30 years older, then it's ridiculous how little effort Toei puts in Super. The story is by far the weakest part, it is like a recycled version of Z. The new tournament arc has potential though.
Dragonball may be old but I think you can enjoy it even nowadays. The story is unique and is focussed more on martial arts and the search for the dragonballs. Characters are fun to watch and partipicate active in battles, unlike in Super where everyone except Goku or Vegeta can't do anything. Super is just an excuse to grab more money.

FMmatronApr 7, 2017 5:04 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 7, 2017 4:54 AM

Jan 2013
The Narrator that has always been apart of the DB franchise will pretty much spill everything you need to know out right at the beginning of an episode. The exposition has always been pretty straight forward.

Honestly you should just watch Dragon Ball Kai, and then move to Super.
Apr 7, 2017 5:30 AM

Nov 2016
I'd say no. I am almost 40 episodes in and it's a fucking torture to watch. I do it while washing the dishes to entertain me because it's boring af but I'm actually having more fun doing the dishes. Aside from the tournament arc it's been terrible and most characters sucks and the story is almost non-existant. On the plus side, the opening (and occasionally soundtrack) is freaking awesome and scream legendary.

I can see how it became successful but it's so retarded you have to be 7 or nostalgic to like it.
Apr 7, 2017 5:43 AM

Feb 2013
Dragon Ball is a masterpiece every anime fan should watch.
Please don't compare the animation quality with newer anime because the original Dragon Ball is amazing, dunno where you see the problem with it, it's not like it's from the 70's.
After you finish with Dragon Ball go to Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball Kai, Super comes after.
Watch GT after Z if you want.
Apr 7, 2017 5:56 AM

Feb 2016
isabella1203 said:
I've been wanting to watch Dragon Ball for a long time now because its premise is interesting and it's IMMENSELY popular. However, I can barely tolerate the quality of the first episodes because it was made so long ago. Should I try to give it another go? Would I be okay (not too confused, somewhat grasps the basics, etc.) if I just skipped right to the more recently made episodes, like Dragon Ball Super?

Watch Dragon Ball>Dragon Ball Kai>Dragon Ball Z Movie 12&13, the rest is rather bleh imo but GT comes after Kai and Super is the last.

I dont remember if they included the Bardock episodes in Kai so someone else has to confirm.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Apr 7, 2017 6:26 AM

Apr 2015
If you think it seems interesting, go for it.

Yes, I realize that DB and DBZ have a 'dated' style, but I absolutely guarantee you that it is for the show's benefit, as the more light-hearted and colorful style is the perfect setting for the style of humor that Dragonball runs off of, and when you finally get to the DBZ franchise the gritty cell-shaded animation conveys many of the battles even better.

I've not watched Super yet, but from what little I've seen, it's a pretty pathetic looking series by modern standards.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Apr 7, 2017 6:57 AM

Apr 2015
If you don't even like the original, kinda-fun Dragon Ball, you're not going to like the rest of the garbage.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 7, 2017 7:16 AM
Dec 2013
Yes, give it another go. The first arc in Dragon Ball isn't all that good (it's mostly an introduction to the characters), but it gets way better from the second arc onwards. You wouldn't be okay if you skipped to Dragon Ball Super, you're still gonna be confused about some things and there are so many time-skips. And Dragon Ball Super isn't really as good Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z anyway.
Apr 7, 2017 7:43 AM

Feb 2015
No the Dragon ball franchise is very repetitive and has no ending 30 years later... skip
Apr 7, 2017 7:51 AM
Sep 2007
Counting all its bad sides too, everything so far that I've seen from series, I'd say Dragon Ball has some of the most memorable and lovable characters that I've ever seen, as well as just beautiful setting.

I recommend you to check it out, and if you don't like it, at least you tried; if I listened to others, I would have never seen that anime original Dragon Ball GT, which was, IMO, decent shonen series.
Apr 7, 2017 8:02 AM
Mar 2016
yes you should watch dragon ball. it has one of the best coming of age stories period. like mentioned above, first arc is a bit awkward animation and story wise but it gets better and better. it is one of the best if not the best shounen out there. dbz is ok dbz kai is better. gt is an abomination, super is better than most people would have you believe
Apr 7, 2017 8:19 AM

Dec 2016
Watch/Read the original Dragon Ball with the little Goku, it's the best one in my opinion. It's more about adventure & clever martial arts than power fighting. And it has more humor than Z. Basically after King Piccolo & after Freeza there are drops in quality I would say.
Apr 7, 2017 8:24 AM

Jun 2016
Just keep watching Dragon Ball, I got used to the animation after EP 30+ and its a really good series, you can watch dragon ball kai after DB and then start watching super from ep 28 and watch Battle of gods and fukkatsu no F movies before ep 28.

ahoyanen said:
The be short, you should not because it is crap (the whole franchise just to be clear).

Did you even watch it lol
Apr 7, 2017 8:26 AM

Jun 2016
It's not that good compared to other shounens.

It's loved by so many people due to their nostalgic connection with it.

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Apr 7, 2017 8:28 AM

Apr 2016
I've only watched the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. I didn't watch anything after that because it got boring and repetitive and I really couldn't stand all that super Saiyan god super Saiyan crap(what the hell does it mean anyway?)

If you ask me, the Dragon Ball franchise isn't any good after DBZ.

Maybe ask someone else instead of me.
Apr 7, 2017 8:29 AM

Apr 2016
Mokir said:
It's not that good compared to other shounens.

It's loved by so many people due to their nostalgic connection with it.
I'll agree with that. I love Dragon Ball now because of nostalgia. I used to like it though, in the good old Toonami days.
Apr 7, 2017 8:30 AM

Jun 2008
Watch the first few episodes and decide for yourself. If you don't enjoy it then don't watch it.
Apr 7, 2017 10:33 AM

Feb 2016
IcyGlacier said:
ahoyanen said:

Not much, but enough. Look at my favourite list. Does it look like something I would endure?
Apr 7, 2017 10:47 AM

Feb 2015
Just start with Dragon Ball Kai. It looks slightly better than Z and has way better pacing.
Apr 7, 2017 10:54 AM

Dec 2016
Dragon Ball was ok at best. I really liked dragonball Z but its a little on the slow pacing side. I havent given Kai a chance because for me there isnt a reason too when iv already watched dragonball Z a few times.
Apr 7, 2017 11:01 AM

Aug 2016
Watch a couple more episodes of Dragon Ball. If you don't like the humor, then you probably won't like the majority of the series until they encounter King Piccolo. IMO, Dragonball original is easily the best out of the Dragonball franchise

If you are more of an action-type with power levels rising to absurd amounts, then watch Dragon Ball Z instead.
You don't exactly need to watch Dragonball to understand Dragon Ball Z, as Goku's origins are explained in Z. Kai cuts the excess fat of Dragon Ball Z by trying to combine 2 episodes of DBZ into one, so if you want to save time, watch Kai. If you want to watch dubbed, then Kai is still on the Buu arc and it isn't finished, so keep that in mind.

GT is trash. Don't watch it unless you are a completionist or curious.

From what I hear from people, Super's animation is trash, considering the airing date difference between Z and Super.
MechKingKillbotApr 7, 2017 11:06 AM
Apr 7, 2017 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
ahoyanen said:
IcyGlacier said:

Not much, but enough. Look at my favourite list. Does it look like something I would endure?
bakemonogatari and death note? Welp you certainly wouldn't like an actually good anime like DB, that is for sure.

OT: if you want to watch it, watch it, if not then don't...
Apr 7, 2017 11:36 AM

Dec 2016
isabella1203 said:

You probably won't understand much if you start with Super. The whole universe and characters are developed in the original and in Z.

The series may me long but, may drag at times, but ultimately it provides a highly entertaining experience, if you connect with it you will have a lot of fun and excitement, you will laugh a lot and you could even find yourself crying with some truly epic moments, which always come at the right time.

If it's not your thing it's ok, not everything is for everyone, but please, do not refrain from watching this classic just because of the old visuals. Drop it because you didn't like the story, the characters, the approach, not because it was made in the late 80s/ early 90s.
Apr 7, 2017 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
The original Dragon Ball is excellent.
A show that perfectly combines comedy with grimmer action. Without ever taking itself too seriously.

Dragon Ball Z is terrible. GT is good for like 16 episodes, then it also becomes terrible. Super is an abomination and shouldn't be watched by anyone, ever.

In short: watch the original. Stop after Goku defeats a certain king (trying hard not to spoil too much) and never look at anything else DB-related.
Apr 7, 2017 11:51 AM

Feb 2016
Darek said:
ahoyanen said:

bakemonogatari and death note? Welp you certainly wouldn't like an actually good anime like DB, that is for sure.

OT: if you want to watch it, watch it, if not then don't...

I watched some of it and it was shit. I also watched some of DBZ and it was shit too.

I have not yet seen a shounen anime that was not shit. Shounen genre is pretty much synonymous with shit.
man_of_cultureApr 7, 2017 11:54 AM
Apr 7, 2017 11:56 AM

Dec 2016
MechKingKillbot said:
Watch a couple more episodes of Dragon Ball. If you don't like the humor, then you probably won't like the majority of the series until they encounter King Piccolo. IMO, Dragonball original is easily the best out of the Dragonball franchise

If you are more of an action-type with power levels rising to absurd amounts, then watch Dragon Ball Z instead.
You don't exactly need to watch Dragonball to understand Dragon Ball Z, as Goku's origins are explained in Z. Kai cuts the excess fat of Dragon Ball Z by trying to combine 2 episodes of DBZ into one, so if you want to save time, watch Kai. If you want to watch dubbed, then Kai is still on the Buu arc and it isn't finished, so keep that in mind.

From what I hear from people, Super's animation is trash, considering the airing date difference between Z and Super.

This basically explains it. However I thought GT was decent, but it depends on the person.

Feb 2010
Why would you even touch anything from the 80s in the first place? Your fault. Everyone knows everything from before 2000 is ugly and shit and bad quality. Don't even bother.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 2018
@ahoyanen the very fact that you call shouben a genre makes you less credible and look dumb.
Apr 7, 2017 11:57 AM

Dec 2015
If the "quality" you can barely tolerate in the early episodes is the drawings of many pictures, you could read the manga. It flies by very easily and the quality of artwork, direction and cut is timeless and very rarely goes down.

Also, the premise is totally given up past the "Frieza saga" (first 100ish episodes of DBZ, up to the 300-something chapter in the manga). So if you were attracted by the premise, you should really watch/read the earliest parts in priority.

Johnnyd3rp said:
The first series definitely, then you can stop here. The ending is already satisfaying.

I don't even understand how people above say things like "go straight to Super" or even "watch only Kai and Super".
@Johnnyd3rp Oh right, I read a few days ago that after Dragon Ball broadcast totally failed in the USAs, the publisher decided to force DBZ on TV. XD (and that wasn't a gift either, with this soundtrack and all the adjustements)

By the way, the end of the Dragon Ball anime or of the teen period of the manga is indeed a good conclusion. Or you can add the first story of the adulthood period/Z anime who enlarges the world and resolves interesting things about the first parts.

Darek said:
@ahoyanen the very fact that you call shouben a genre makes you less credible and look dumb.

The very fact he said shounen is synonymous of shit makes Death Note being in his favourites weird.

@ahoyanen You probably "hate" the shônen nekketsu narrative, that's all. It doesn't mean this tried and true formula (who goes back to before DB) is bad. Maybe you just have some allergy toward the japanese comics take on the monomyth.
@ahoyanen You should know by now that Death Note is a shônen manga published in the most known of the shônen magazines. Shônen being nothing more than the targeted demographic (defining some editorial lines of the series).

@Pullman Your ironic tone doesn't sound nice at all here.
Rei_IIIApr 7, 2017 12:31 PM
Apr 7, 2017 12:01 PM

Jan 2016
Rei366 said:

Johnnyd3rp said:

I don't even understand how people above say things like "go straight to Super" or even "watch only Kai and Super".

I blame their shitty tv channels that aired Dragon Ball Z before the first series. They missed the good part of the Dragon Ball franchise.
Apr 7, 2017 12:01 PM

Feb 2010
Darek said:

Also Kenshin is one of THE shounen manga of the last 25 years and he has the OVA in his favorites -.-. GTO and Samurai Champloo at 9/10 are also shounen. (Tho Champloo is debatable because the manga came after the anime).
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 7, 2017 12:03 PM

Feb 2016
Darek said:

Where do they speak this "shouben"?

And take a look in the dictionary if you do not know the meaning "genre" before you call anyone dumb.

Dec 2016
as a dragon ball die hard fan..

watch the first season
and watch dragon ball z
skip dragon ball gt
go watch all of the movies till the 15 movie
and then go to dragon ball super I think episode 29 ?
cause that's when they start a new arc .
DONE
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
Darek said:

Also Kenshin is one of THE shounen manga of the last 25 years and he has the OVA in his favorites -.-. GTO and Samurai Champloo at 9/10 are also shounen. (Tho Champloo is debatable because the manga came after the anime).
oh lol, didn't even looked at his list... Was just baiting.

@ahoyanen omg you pointed out a typo that was done accidentaly because writing on a phone makes you more prone to mistakes. What am I goingto do?! I was completely rekt...

I did check the definiion of a genre and shounen clearly does not fall under it.
removed-userApr 7, 2017 12:07 PM

Aug 2016
ShadowCode said:
MechKingKillbot said:

This basically explains it. However I thought GT was decent, but it depends on the person.

I wanted to like GT, but I didn't like how they executed the villains. Aside from Baby being kind of like Buu, I really liked the concept of the Black Star Dragons and Super Hell Android 17. It's just not how I want it to turn out.

They used the wrong members when finding the Dragon Balls. Little Goku was a nice memory lane to nostalgia, so I'm fine with that. Pan is annoying and only probably there because they needed a female character. Trunks isn't the cool future Trunks, so eeehh on that. Pretty much every character in DBGT was worthless except Goku. Vegeta only became useful after Bulma was involved with helping him transform.
Apr 7, 2017 12:04 PM
Jul 2018
ahoyanen said:
Darek said:

And take a look in the dictionary if you do not know the meaning "genre" before you call anyone dumb.

For the 10000000000th (and hopefully last) time on this bloody forum: Shounen is not a genre. It's a demographic.
Apr 7, 2017 12:06 PM

Feb 2016
Pullman said:
Darek said:

Also Kenshin is one of THE shounen manga of the last 25 years and he has the OVA in his favorites -.-.

Kenshin main series is shounen, while OVA is not. Main series is a complete shit, while OVA is a masterpiece. That is the difference. I actually explain this in the text on my profile.
Apr 7, 2017 12:08 PM

Dec 2016
MechKingKillbot said:
ShadowCode said:

I wanted to like GT, but I didn't like how they executed the villains. Aside from Baby being kind of like Buu, I really liked the concept of the Black Star Dragons and Super Hell Android 17. It's just not how I want it to turn out.

They used the wrong members when finding the Dragon Balls. Little Goku was a nice memory lane to nostalgia, so I'm fine with that. Pan is annoying and only probably there because they needed a female character. Trunks isn't the cool future Trunks, so eeehh on that. Pretty much every character in DBGT was worthless except Goku. Vegeta only became useful after Bulma was involved with helping him transform.

Ahh yea that is true. Pan only had like 1 good scene.
The fight scenes with omega shenron were fantastic though.
Apr 7, 2017 12:09 PM

Feb 2016
_Lightsbane said:
ahoyanen said:

For the 10000000000th (and hopefully last) time on this bloody forum: Shounen is not a genre. It's a demographic.

One way or another, even demographics makes up a category, which is one of the meanings of "genre". It is hard for me to imagine you have been wrong for 10000000000th time so far.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 117 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 13, 2013

17 by GeoRush »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 12 Discussion

Yokurama - Feb 13, 2008

15 by Dumb »»
Today, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 291 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 27, 2008

46 by satyabrata900 »»
Apr 21, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 230 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 19, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 227 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.