Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 4, 2017 7:57 PM

Sep 2013
It is a truly well known fact that most Christians don't actually read the bible, much less study it. This has led to much misquotation and reference to passages in the bible that don't exist, or have been warped in such a way as to support perspectives the book clearly was not meant to address. Pastors are also guilty of this, and tend to spend more time maintaining their local organizations over any deep analysis of the holy word (though many try).

But if Christians don't read the bible, then how could we assume that your average atheist has? And don't give me your "I read like one passage in the bible that I don't like" bullshit, I mean actual academic study that was done to understand the contextual history and interpretation of the bible.

Could we not safely conclude that people (whether theist or atheist) are religious in their own sense, but still faithfully ignorant? Do you understand how to read the bible? Are readers aware of the official stance of the church regarding definitions of the bible? Have you contemplated how ambiguity has served to create different interpretation in the book of genesis? Do you question how the bible is organized, and are you aware of the awkwardness of a book having several different authors from multiple time periods and backgrounds?

Have you studied the bible?

Edit: Allow me to iterate something of importance. Your willingness to read the bible should not be correlated with your ability to have faith. Reading it and believing it are two different things. The bible is a work of fiction. However, it's a work of historical fiction. Your ability to understand these different concepts determines at what level you are able to discuss the Bible.
nep-nepApr 27, 2017 2:21 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2017 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
It's a book and I find it tedious. I don't care about it and I'm not interested in reading it, just like any other book I have no interest in.
Apr 4, 2017 8:05 PM

Jan 2014
SubaTonic said:
It's a book and I find it tedious. I don't care about it and I'm not interested in reading it, just like any other book I have no interest in.

Honestly, same. I came from a religious family, and I don't recall ever touching a Bible lol...

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Apr 4, 2017 8:21 PM
Feb 2017
No, I haven't studied it, but I have read it. That isn't to say I remember much, but from what I do remember , I don't exactly see any reason why I should put my faith into it. It's extremely similar to mythology and the only credible copy that is even left in existence is the Septuagint and every version after that has been edited or re-written in favor of politics.
Apr 4, 2017 8:26 PM

Oct 2013
I've read the Bible, old and new, the translated Quran, and a few other religious texts. I've never really done a formal study on them in any real sense, but I'm a history buff, and religion is part of the history of the world. For that reason alone do I find them at all appealing. Frankly, the Bible never struck me as anything more than made up nonsense filled with contradictions and non sequiturs.

Also, Atheism implies a lack of religion, not "religious in their own way".

-Not an atheist.

PS: What lack of evidence are you referring to, exactly?
Apr 4, 2017 8:27 PM

Jun 2008
I've begun reading it. And the Bible though, certain aspects of it can be proven through historical evidence is not intended to be a history book that is supposed to be proven. It's the word of god that is supposed to spiritually supposed to guide his followers. It's not intended to prove anything, or convert atheist into believers. It's for those with faith.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2017 8:37 PM

Sep 2014
I went to catholic school so it was compulsory to study it. I've never read it just studied bits and pieces of it. I am now an atheist more than ever purely because of how much rubbish is in that book.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Apr 4, 2017 8:37 PM

Dec 2009
nep-nep said:

But if Christians don't read the bible, then how could we assume that your average atheist has? And don't give me your "I read like one passage in the bible that I don't like" bullshit, I mean actual academic study that was done to understand the contextual history and interpretation of the bible.

Several studies and polls have shown that atheists and agnostics are exceedingly more familiar with the bible than christians. Also, any of the writers, professors and doctors who publicly debate on the atheism topic - Hitchens, Harris, Dawkins, Dillahunty, etc - have read the bible inside and out. I myself have read about two thirds of it, but in general reading the bible isn't necessary. The book has been around for like, 1800 years or so? And there hasn't been anything in it that's been able to prove or verify theistic claims of a god that can create the entire universe but seems to be overly concerned with a slightly intelligent but otherwise unremarkable species residing on a single (and very temporary) speck of dust.

On a side note, I know lots of christians who've read the whole thing. Some denominations make it a big point to read and study scripture. I forget which denomination my dad is but he studied scripture in various theology courses so he knows the whole thing too
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Apr 4, 2017 8:38 PM

Jun 2008
Menzo- said:
I went to catholic school so it was compulsory to study it. I've never read it just studied bits and pieces of it. I am now an atheist more than ever purely because of how much rubbish is in that book.
Menzo- said:
Menzo- said:
What's rubbish? Just wondering Why you say that
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2017 8:42 PM

May 2013
I read it from time to time... it's not bad! ;)
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Apr 4, 2017 8:43 PM

Sep 2014
21 said:
Menzo- said:
Menzo- said:
Menzo- said:
Don't know why you quoted me three times but anyways. To me it's just so nonsensical. I know it's supposed to be the word of God or whatever and that it's not really supposed to be analysed but how could I possibly believe in something so illogical with no real proof. When compared to science religion is nothing.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Apr 4, 2017 8:45 PM
Apr 2015
I'm in Bible college. But I'll admit I don't always give the effort I should to get all the benefits out of my studies because, since it's schoolwork, I'm often like "Why do I have to write this paper/complete the assignment?"
Apr 4, 2017 8:51 PM

Jun 2008
Menzo- said:
21 said:
Don't know why you quoted me three times but anyways. To me it's just so nonsensical. I know it's supposed to be the word of God or whatever and that it's not really supposed to be analysed but how could I possibly believe in something so illogical with no real proof. When compared to science religion is nothing.
Well I definitely understand that aspect. especially coming from a Catholic Church which is just a pagan and corrupt religion from its roots to now present.

My only advice is just pray to the lord everynight asking him to show you the TRUTH. The Bible, the lord, spirits, Jesus. It's past human comprehension, we can't prove it with science because we think only what we see and what's physical. The lord can't be proven because he's spiritual. But if the lord wishes for you to know, you will know.
Apr 4, 2017 8:55 PM
Apr 2014
I read it cover-to-cover once but I wouldn't say that I've studied it per-say.
Apr 4, 2017 9:26 PM
Jul 2018
I have 2 bibles in my house for some reason. I read a bit here and there between years.
Apr 4, 2017 9:51 PM

Jul 2012
Ive studied it, but I wouldn't be able to quote it word for word.

Apr 2008
Went to a Catholic school for 10 years and it was compulsory to read + study it for ReEd (religious education). Haven't touched a bible in years though.

You are afraid to die, and you're afraid to live. What a way to exist.
Neale Donald Walsch

Mar 2014
Yeah back when I was a small Manilow.
Apr 4, 2017 9:56 PM

Jun 2015
Yeah, I've studied it a lot.

Even if I were religious, I'd take the Bible for what it is, a book written by men. Which automatically means it's flawed.

Your point is silly, btw.

Apr 4, 2017 10:22 PM

Dec 2009
21 said:

My only advice is just pray to the lord everynight asking him to show you the TRUTH. The Bible, the lord, spirits, Jesus. It's past human comprehension, we can't prove it with science because we think only what we see and what's physical. The lord can't be proven because he's spiritual. But if the lord wishes for you to know, you will know.

1. claiming divine truth is past human comprehension

2. Then claiming knowing divine truth is comprehensible to humans

You may want to rethink your position. Also, science isn't the only thing that makes a strong case against theistic claims: epistemology, solipsism, and logic all offer different but equally valid counterarguments.
Crusader_8Apr 4, 2017 10:33 PM
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Apr 4, 2017 10:28 PM

Apr 2015
To what depth are you asking about?

I've done some slightly-deeper-then-surface studying about themes and history in the Bible, and I've done some extremely deep studying on the first 6 books, but it's not enough to be giving lectures or writing reports. I can carry, if not dominate, a conversation with an average person, but I'd be freight-trained in a debate or a conversation on more thematic messages, especially those centered in the New Testament.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Apr 4, 2017 10:32 PM

Mar 2008
Somewhat, not to front to back full academic level but I do look deeper than the surface on various parts of the bible. Strange how most don't seem to realize Revelation isn't even cannon and was basically forced to be added to the collection of scriptures.
Apr 4, 2017 10:39 PM

Mar 2014
traed said:
Somewhat, not to front to back full academic level but I do look deeper than the surface on various parts of the bible. Strange how most don't seem to realize Revelation isn't even cannon and was basically forced to be added to the collection of scriptures.
Weird that even the biggest fans don't even check out Joseph Smith's retcon either.
Apr 4, 2017 10:50 PM

Dec 2012
I likely know more about the Bible than most cultural Christians (aka secularists who sin 24/7 and then say "but muh jesus died on the cross"). I grew up in a Christian home and it was instilled into me at every waking opportunity. It does help to put many misconceptions about Christianity into perspective, however, and it allows me to call BS on both sides of the aisle.
Apr 4, 2017 11:05 PM

Aug 2015
Currently completing a theology degree ( however i have cut it short to an Assc Degree now because I am an old codger).

So I know it reasonably well, in proper context and in the greek language.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Apr 4, 2017 11:36 PM

Apr 2017
Not really but I would like too, I just cant seem to find time to read it.
Apr 5, 2017 12:28 AM

Dec 2009
PoruMairu said:
Currently completing a theology degree ( however i have cut it short to an Assc Degree now because I am an old codger).

there are passages in the bible in which slavery is condoned - what's the context that justifies ownership of other people? Does the original greek text provide insight as to what makes ownership of people okay? As far as I knew it was never okay.

I know they're weird questions but you've actually read the thing and I rarely have a chance to ask.

~

Apr 5, 2017 12:39 AM

Dec 2015
I read the entire old testament over the course of just 2 days. It was mind numbingly stupid.
Apr 5, 2017 2:19 AM

Aug 2015
Crusader_8 said:
PoruMairu said:

there are passages in the bible in which slavery is condoned - what's the context that justifies ownership of other people? Does the original greek text provide insight as to what makes ownership of people okay? As far as I knew it was never okay.

I know they're weird questions but you've actually read the thing and I rarely have a chance to ask.

The bible is generally a book not so much about people but about God. It is God's revelation of Himself, slowly bit by bit, as people got to know Him.

Slavery, savagery and all of the rotten things people do to each other were already present in the world's systems when God started to reveal Himself to the ancient Sumerians. It is in this context that slavery is described in the Bible; something that was already in existence at the time of the Revelation ( eg: the book of Genesis). And the power and percentage of people who adhered and believed? Tiny, miniscule, zero power to change anything except themselves.

It is in these terms that slavery laws were given to a tiny powerless nation of Israel, that they should treat their slaves differently, better than the others.

And so on into the Jesus era, the Christians were the least powerful of all, they were being persecuted, burned alive, fed to the lions, etc...No power whatsoever to do anything to change the world, only themselves, and the way they treated their slaves, or more than likely the case in Roman days, how they were to act as slaves.

The people of the Bible, have always been the minority, and the powerless, until they did indeed gain power. Then they abolished slavery.

TL;DR The bible only describes existing slavery, and has never held power over the State mechanism.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Apr 5, 2017 3:32 AM

Dec 2009
PoruMairu said:

Slavery, savagery and all of the rotten things people do to each other were already present in the world's systems when God started to reveal Himself to the ancient Sumerians. It is in this context that slavery is described in the Bible; something that was already in existence at the time of the Revelation ( eg: the book of Genesis). And the power and percentage of people who adhered and believed? Tiny, miniscule, zero power to change anything except themselves.

It is in these terms that slavery laws were given to a tiny powerless nation of Israel, that they should treat their slaves differently, better than the others.

God laid down a lot of laws and guidelines to his people. Why did he lay down rules on how to treat slaves instead of saying ownership of humans beings is wrong? Sounds like god is okay with humans being property. It wasnt like he COULDNT say "hey slavery is wrong." He was able to lay down the 10 commandments, as well as a bunch of other tidbits here and there.

And just we're clear: please dont try to say that god couldnt say anything about the savage systems already in place or even intervene. He was willing to murder almost everyone in the world on a whim (noah story etc). He's willing to directly issue on-the-spot laws. Nothing was stopping him from saying "hey slavery sucks and goes against what i want for you/your soul"
Crusader_8Apr 5, 2017 3:35 AM

~

Apr 5, 2017 3:48 AM

Nov 2015
nep-nep said:
And don't give me your "I read like one passage in the bible that I don't like" bullshit

Why shouldn't I? Shouldn't one unGodly passage about God suffice to tarnish his Godliness?

But still, to entertain your question: Why should I waste my time on a man's, or even a God's, ambiguous vain attempt to pack the universe in one book? If you tell me that through n numbers of mental contortions I can actually make sense of this nonsense, that still will not vindicate these Holy Books of the fact that at their heart, they still demand 'faith'. And that's where reason stops and I become a hypocrite for only accepting God's unjustified claims and not anyone else's.

Any contemplative drunkard in any corner of this world can pen an ambiguous book which makes sense after being supplemented by a million contortions, a thousand interpretations, and a hundred other scriptures. Shall we waste our time entertaining the drunkard who's never experienced one moment of cogent thought in his life but claims to have experienced God? Or perhaps Hegel, Kant, Hume, Lacan, and all those philosophers should've ended their books by asserting God and their own prophethood. Surely then, people will have more reason to read philosophy because there's a chance that it might be from God!!

You know what's better? Engage in the labor of mankind, of patiently figuring out everything there is in the universe, and not to be too hasty. If there's one way we can ever reach God, it'll be that. If God's wrath may interrupt our diligent labor, we can excuse ourselves with 'Your (God) attempts to reach us were insulting to our intelligence and we always assumed that you knew man's nature well enough to not insult us like that'. I only wonder how many talented individuals, in the history of mankind, who could help mankind progress, who could contribute something substantial, gave in to this toxic thinking of leaping on a contrived possibility of God and wasted their lives away having buried their heads in obvious bullshit disguised as 'truth in ambiguity'.
Apr 5, 2017 3:57 AM

Dec 2014
Do you believe in the conspiracy that the bible has been altered and will be more altered to benefit certain groups
Apr 5, 2017 4:03 AM

Mar 2014
ibraheem234 said:
Do you believe in the conspiracy that the bible has been altered and will be more altered to benefit certain groups
Not really. At least not the Old Testament (as they have found extremely ancient copies that are more or less the same). The Gospels are already of varying authenticity though, and I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't representative of the real Jesus of Nazareth.
Apr 5, 2017 4:29 AM
Sep 2015
I haven't read much of the bible. But as far as I can tell it's just a compilation of some very bad written slice of life/fantasy stories.
Apr 5, 2017 5:45 AM

Nov 2016
A bit. Some old man started giving booklet to everyone at the bus stop, saying Satan needs to be expelled. I read it a little and Jesus took a kid hostage and told people they needed to convert to his religion or else they won't have peace when they die. That's savage af.
Apr 5, 2017 7:15 AM

Oct 2012
i never got beyond the children's bible that i was gifted when i was 8.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Apr 5, 2017 7:18 AM

Aug 2013
Yup. I'm a pretty devout Christian and study the Bible frequently.
Apr 5, 2017 7:18 AM

Jul 2016
No, I am not interested in religion.
Apr 5, 2017 7:19 AM

Nov 2008
Tried. Read a hundred pages. Blandest, most poorly written novel I ever read.

Apr 5, 2017 9:26 AM

Sep 2016
Read through about 2/3rds of the comments and seeing a lot of repeat stuff. I'm not going to "pick on" the OP, but to address some of the points he was asking I'll quote in chunks...I may be able to shed some light on a few things.

nep-nep said:
It is a truly well known fact that most Christians don't actually read the bible, much less study it. This has led to much misquotation and reference to passages in the bible that don't exist, or have been warped in such a way as to support perspectives the book clearly was not meant to address. Pastors are also guilty of this, and tend to spend more time maintaining their local organizations over any deep analysis of the holy word (though many try).

I hesitate to use the term "Christian" for myself, because it's so over/misused today, but technically it is OUR word (1 Peter 4:16) so it's still a viable term. However with hundreds of different denominations, you can understand why people want to get away from the term. I often use the example of someone calling themselves a "musician", when they just own a cruddy acoustic guitar that might get played 2 or 3 times a month. Trying to compare themselves to Eric Clapton or even a random studio musician is a gross misnomer. Plenty of "posers" out there, no denying that. Most people will try and hit you with the "No True Scotsman" argument, but that doesn't hold up since our standard is written out in a text. If you had to pin a title to me, I'm a Biblical Unitarian with a Socinian Christology. Basically it's "Yahweh is 1 being, Jesus was miraculously conceived but had no pre-existence prior to his birth therefore he is not Yahweh (God), and the Trinity is not true. He is the promised Jewish Messiah and Christ, fulfilling OT prophecy and eventually establishing an Earthly kingdom on his return. This is an astronomically minority view since most denominations hold the Trinity as nearly as important as there actually being a God.

Most misquoting and manipulating (eisegesis is the scholastic term) will come from people who
A) Aren't really pious, but just want to use the bible like an appliance to prove a point or argue against its validity
B) Aren't scholastically educated, but think they are on that level
C) People who do it for a career (Prosperity Gospel preachers and self-proclaimed "Prophets")
D) 95% of Tumblr users
E) Almost any meme you see on Facebook

So why don't people just read the bible and get everything? Are they too lazy? Well, yes and no...it's not exactly that simple.

The modern world is unique in that literacy is so widespread today that we almost laugh at the notion of someone being illiterate in any capacity if they live in a first world country. However for MILLENNIA this was not the case. If you could read and write, you had a job for life (Scribe) in the context of ANE Israel or other countries like it. You also needed someone who could explain to others how the law worked (Priests, Rabbis like Pharisees, etc.). So why do we need Pastors and Preachers if everyone is able to read the bible? Well because the bible wasn't written in King's English or modern English language originally. I'll touch more on that in a bit, but this is why the position of Pastor or Preacher is still vital at it's core. Understanding the original language and context can help a LOT in understanding the point trying to be made on more difficult passages. The "Gospel" message is a very simple one though, which is the core doctrine of the Christian faith.

nep-nep said:

The short answer is they haven't, but the vast majority of "Christians" or other religious folks haven't either. Most people will cherrypick verses (eisegesis) out of context, which you can do with almost ANYTHING to make it say what you want. However, we have an excellent tool against this and it's called "context"! It doesn't really take the whole book to grab the context of the verse in most cases, just read the entire chapter (or the previous and following chapter if you want) and it's not impossible to get an idea of what's going on. This isn't a solve-all, but take Jeremiah 29:11 or Philippians 4:13 for instance. Unless you are a B.C. time Jew that has just been conquered by Babylon and being carried into captivity, then Jeremiah 29:11 doesn't apply to you. Philippians 4:13 also doesn't apply to you unless you are talking about being imprisoned, beaten, and abused for your faith in Christ. It doesn't mean you can lose that extra 10 pounds from Christmas or get that 6 figure job that you are after.

Part of it is ignorance, but for a secular analogy...how many people could HONESTLY say they have a comprehensive understanding of the state and federal law of the USA? That's what we have lawyers for. Now some lawyers are honest, others are crooked, there are always going to be people who take advantage of a situation but that doesn't mean EVERYONE is like that. While federal and state law is a lot more papers than a bible is, that's because the bible is actually a high-context document. Keep in mind, in the ancient world even mighty Rome could only boast a 10% literacy rate at its apex. If you could read and write, you were a massively educated person. Scribes were expensive and so was paper/ink, you couldn't afford to write out every single little detail in absolutely every possible sense. This is why you can hold an entire bible in your hand, but if you tried to get all of the Jewish commentaries or extra-biblical resources, along with that of the early church, you'd see it could rival the Federal and State lawbooks. Since the only people who could read were highly educated, they would have possessed much background knowledge they could bestow to those listening if it was necessary. The same as I would have to explain how RAM works to a group of tech illiterate people, but wouldn't need it spelled out in my speech, I could just say "RAM is short term memory for the PC" and then explain that to the listeners.

Keep in mind though, translation isn't a "one for one" swap of words, sometimes grammatical and vocabulary concepts common to another language don't translate well or at all. Telling someone "I'm gonna punch your lights out" doesn't make sense to someone who has it translated to them in Russian. This is where commentary, and knowing the original language, are incredibly helpful. There is MUCH more scholasticism in this respect than people give credit to though.

nep-nep said:
Could we not safely conclude that people (whether theist or atheist) are religious in their own sense, but still faithfully ignorant? Do you understand how to read the bible? Are readers aware of the official stance of the church regarding definitions of the bible? Have you contemplated how ambiguity has served to create different interpretation in the book of genesis? Do you question how the bible is organized, and are you aware of the awkwardness of a book having several different authors from multiple time periods and backgrounds?

Have you studied the bible?

To go back to my law analogy, could you do the same with all state and federal law? Or even with the tax code? For Christians, the core of the Gospel message which leads to salvation is the core doctrine which the focus is on. The Gospel message is easily translatable and this is the dominant attitude with how people wrote these passages in both the OT and NT scriptures, the focus was on what was important. If the police were asking me about a murder suspect and I tell them I saw Man-A kill his wife, that he used a gun, where he shot her, and then said he was wearing white Adidas shoes...yet another person said all the same things but added that his shoes were actually an Osirus-brand knockoff of the Adidas superstars, should the police then completely invalidate my testimony? Many of the things people make a fuss about are explained by apologists with experience in Greek or Hebrew languages, or they tend to be little details that are inconsequential and usually accounted for already. No teacher or theologian worth his weight in salt will say that any translation OTHER than the original manuscripts in their original language are what's 100% inerrant, but again my police analogy still stands as what most scholastics will hold to. In regards to the supernatural components of the book, You would also ask yourself what the significance of a book filled with everyday occurrences would be. That's a whole other can of worms, but I think I've wrote enough already lol

PM me if you ever have any other questions or what some more resources, OP.
Apr 5, 2017 9:38 AM

Sep 2009
Why would I study a steaming pile of bullshit? LOL. I think it's pretty safe to ignore. The majority of Christians who read the bible don't believe in the literal history as described, but in the underlying messagea anyways.
nep-nep said:
Official stance of the church
lmao, there are fktons of churches, and they all have their own stance lel
MortalMelancholyApr 5, 2017 9:41 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 5, 2017 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
After forceful lodging into a religious school as a child (albeit a more accepting episcopalian one) I want nothing less than to have to touch a bible. Let alone read it.
removed-userApr 5, 2017 10:05 AM
Apr 5, 2017 10:40 AM

Jan 2014
Crusader_8 said:
PoruMairu said:

God laid down a lot of laws and guidelines to his people. Why did he lay down rules on how to treat slaves instead of saying ownership of humans beings is wrong? Sounds like god is okay with humans being property. It wasnt like he COULDNT say "hey slavery is wrong." He was able to lay down the 10 commandments, as well as a bunch of other tidbits here and there.

And just we're clear: please dont try to say that god couldnt say anything about the savage systems already in place or even intervene. He was willing to murder almost everyone in the world on a whim (noah story etc). He's willing to directly issue on-the-spot laws. Nothing was stopping him from saying "hey slavery sucks and goes against what i want for you/your soul"

And this just proves OP's point about the general ignorance of the Bible among both theists and atheists.

There are several laws laid down in the Bible dealing with human systems because......and this may be surprising to some.....it is impossible to be as holy and perfect as God.
People will quite quickly fall to madness if they were to hold to that perfect standard, which is why Jesus explained that some laws were laid down "because of the wickedness of human hearts."

The example Jesus gave was divorce. God hates divorce let allowed the Israelites to be able to do so because their society could not function otherwise.
During Moses' time, men could also have multiple wives even though God made it clear from the start that it was to be 1 man and 1 woman for marriage.
Slavery is the same. It may surprise some to learn that nomads did not have supermax prisons were they could send off criminals and keep them fed daily. Slavery was allowed as a way to work of debts and punishments, but neither was any Israelite forced to be a slave forever.
After 7 years, every slave was to be freed in the Year of Jubilee. It should not take massive levels of intellect to figure out that something that should not be a permanent state for your fellows is something that is good, but simply permissible.

Of course, it doesn't take a genius to truly figure out how we are supposed to treat each other, especially since "there is neither Jew nor Gentile, slave or free, man or woman in the body of Christ." You are to do unto others as you would like done to yourself, so who wants to be a slave? (Aside from masochists and fetishists.)
All are equal under the body of Christ, so while we are to give to Caesar what is Caesar's and respect earthly authorities, we also have the power to change those customs to be more in line with Christ's intentions.
After all, Jesus never owned any slaves, or do people forget that too?
RedRoseFringApr 5, 2017 10:43 AM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 5, 2017 10:47 AM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
Most people try to take the bible seriously but when you actually read it, its more about taking the underlying lessons from stories and applying them to your life.
Apr 5, 2017 10:49 AM

Jan 2014
ibraheem234 said:

That seems to be more prevalent among Muslims who want to excuse the Quran's inconsistency with the Torah and Gospels.
It would be very hard for one to seriously argue that the teachings there-in benefit any wordly powers when the world is plainly described as an enemy of God.

OT: Yes I've studied the Bible, which is why it is so sad to see so many misconceptions and disingenuous manipulations trying to pass of the desires and doctrines of men as the Word of God.

It is not surprising though, considering that the Bible itself mentions that people will try to twist words to suit their own needs and set up preachers that tell them what they want to hear (like "it's not literal" or "just poetry"), not what it actually states.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 5, 2017 11:17 AM

Apr 2015
I've been forced through a lot of Bible study. Still am to this day, though I've started tuning it out.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 5, 2017 11:30 AM

Feb 2017
No but I have studied the ancient arts of breaking ankles without even moving.
The goal of all ankles is disintegration.

The ankles of god will be broken by the man who wields the power of a transcending, heaven piercing ankle breaker.

If at some point in life, you made a mistake or keep failing over and over again, and you can't help but think it's useless and you're a good for nothing; Remember, that's only your ankles. I'm sure that further along your path will come a day where you think, "It was a good life experience". That's why it'll be fine.
Apr 5, 2017 12:57 PM

Dec 2009
@redrosefring being unable to be perfect like god didnt seem to stop god from telling us murder is wrong or that adultery is wrong. Doesnt stop him from saying "dont bear false witness." But we throw this lame and ignorant excuse that when it comes to slavery, it was somehow just too much for god to tell us not to own humans as property? This is not an example of not reading the bible. This is an example of being VERY familiar with what the bible says and doesnt say. God couldnt be bothered to say rape and slavery were wrong but instead made a bunch of convoluted rules.

When it's murder, theists say it was necessary for god to lay down his decree. But mysteriously when it comes to rape and slavery, there's a sudden show of mental gymanstics where all these "humans are imperfect so god had to just make sure they did slavery properly" statements come from. Humans are awful in general and murder a lot, but it was within god's power to decree "thou shalt not kill." It's a shame it wasn't within his power to say "thou shalt not own another person as thine own property." Heck, he didnt even TRY. and we're talking about a being who is sooo perfect that he decided the only way to fix humanity was to murder 99% of the population - including unborn children - and start fresh with noah's family.

~

Apr 5, 2017 1:02 PM

Feb 2014
i rmr in high school some poor religious sucker would hold an assembly and hand out free bibles then five minutes later kids would be walking home ripping the pages out and throwing them in the streets
thats as close as i got to reading a bible tbh
Apr 5, 2017 2:04 PM

Sep 2007
How can you "study" the Bible? Will there be a test about it?

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » JAPAN?

BaronLukis - Yesterday

16 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

24 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Yesterday

13 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» What is your favorite Masaaki Yuasa anime?

Sorachin - 3 hours ago

4 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» Global enviroment ( comments )

SyrupPastryNice - Yesterday

16 by Kamikaze_404 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.