Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people like violence and mean characters?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 4, 2017 12:53 PM

Nov 2015
well i prefer to see violence and gore shows more then seeing those cute faces ..and who are these the mean characters ? ...if you meant like Alucard from hellsing because of violence then we truly arrived at the cute age ...anime's end is near

Apr 4, 2017 9:41 PM

Apr 2015
Violence is the ultimate active form of competition and dominance, what more can I ask for?
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Apr 5, 2017 1:51 AM

Mar 2017
because they're a M

Personally, I think violent and mean characters are really cool and badass for some reason..

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Apr 5, 2017 4:38 AM

Nov 2009
pinkarray said:
I don't approve of violence and mean characters and I want to get peoples' opinions on why they prefer violence in general movies, tv shows, and video games. Heck, I even like the non-violent innocent stuff like some of Disney's stuff, too, they're still good without the violence.

Let me explain.
I approve of violence. Violence is the only answer to the world's problems.
Why? Because bad people will stop being bad only when they're dead. (But make sure to destroy their brain so that they cannot be revived)
Proof? The world is full of people who are talking, who have university degrees in talking, and they have all the power. Yet the world is full of injustice.
These talkers always make laws that forbid violence. Because they have all the power, and use it to oppress people like me.
There is only one way to make them stop. To kill them, and take their power.

I approve of violence, and love seeing it in anime.

pinkarray said:
Well, I have been writing stories since I was 6 years old, no violence or mean behaviors and nobody had a problem with them. Can you give me examples of more gentle movies you dislike because of no violence or mean characters?

I dislike Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, because the bad people in the final arc were not killed and not even sent to prison. They are sure to start doing bad things again whenever they get a chance.

I dislike Love Lab, because the teacher got away with interfering with children's romantic lives, and didn't even change her mind in the end.

Abuse of authority should be punished by horrible death.

Omkar_Nagwade said:
Because we humans are foolish creatures who yearn for violence and conflict. Be it on screen or in real life, almost everyone has violent thoughts from time to time. Maybe that's the reason people like violence and mean characters.

(Going off topic but, maybe this is the reason World Peace is an impossible thing)

World peace is pretty easy. You just have to get rid of two things:
1) Oppression and general unfairness.
2) People in power who wage wars to draw people's attention away from oppression and their own stupidity.

Human violent tendencies can be easily sublimated in video games, sports and other safe conflicts.
flannanApr 5, 2017 4:44 AM
Apr 5, 2017 6:43 AM

Mar 2017
Because otherwise would be boring and unreal.
While violence and mean characters isn´t mandatory to tell a good story it helps
Apr 5, 2017 2:34 PM

Jun 2015
pinkarray said:
Well, I don't know much about wrestling

People like you guys are why Trump is president!
you talkin abt trump like youse american and dont know about rasslin? whats you raised in a hippe vegan commune?

pinkarray said:
I'm not even american but best compliment ever? thanx?!....
pinkarray said:
Well, I don't know much about wrestling and why are you calling me names for not liking to see people injured? Pissant sjw c word, I wasn't even insulting anyone!
bcz u clearly havent realized your on the internet.

pinkarray said:
And what's wrong with being a sjw?
thats like asking whats wrong with being hitler? or gaddafi or ISIS or taliban? you are oppresive lil fucks who want things your way and under the veil of liberty and justice, try to enfore your personal opinions and beliefs on everyone.

pinkarray said:
Don't you want those kind of people in your life?
no one wants them. I already do, but I'd rather I didnt.

pinkarray said:
I was 6 writing stories about people losing items like a grocery shopping list, can't you cut me some slack? I was only 6 YEARS OLD!! JESUS FRIGGING CHRIST!! GROW UP!!!!
you were bullied werent you? probably still are. the violence too close to real life so you want your escapism in anime to be all rainbows and ponies and sparkles and fairies eh?

Grow a pair. so we can kick you in them
Apr 5, 2017 4:38 PM
Jul 2018
I really don't like evil protagonists, who are evil or "badass" for the sake of it. There is a word for them: edgelords. And they are plain boring to me.
That's why I broke up Youjo Senki in the former season.

But I actually like "light to middle grey" characters, who aren't the stereotype of the shiny white knight.
A friend had promised me that I will love that guy from Akatsuki no Yona. We will see. I don't know the anime yet. XD

However, they should still be cute and caring normal people instead of being sociopaths or just emotionless badasses.
But they also should have believable flaws and quirks, real reactions and human weaknesses.
They should "feel real", at least a little bit, and neither the shiny white knights nor the edgelords are believable human beings to me imo.
removed-userSep 29, 2018 7:55 PM
Apr 5, 2017 5:04 PM

Jun 2011
KuroudoAkabane said:
pinkarray said:
Well, I don't know much about wrestling

you talkin abt trump like youse american and dont know about rasslin? whats you raised in a hippe vegan commune?

pinkarray said:
pinkarray said:
Well, I don't know much about wrestling and why are you calling me names for not liking to see people injured? Pissant sjw c word, I wasn't even insulting anyone!

pinkarray said:
And what's wrong with being a sjw?
thats like asking whats wrong with being hitler? or gaddafi or ISIS or taliban? you are oppresive lil fucks who want things your way and under the veil of liberty and justice, try to enfore your personal opinions and beliefs on everyone.

pinkarray said:
Don't you want those kind of people in your life?

pinkarray said:
I was 6 writing stories about people losing items like a grocery shopping list, can't you cut me some slack? I was only 6 YEARS OLD!! JESUS FRIGGING CHRIST!! GROW UP!!!!
you were bullied werent you? probably still are. the violence too close to real life so you want your escapism in anime to be all rainbows and ponies and sparkles and fairies eh?

Says the person who gave Cowboy Bebop a five. Probably not enough violence for you, eh??

I hope you're just playing around because it's not like I completely oblivious to wrestling, I just don't watch much tv or video games of it. I do kind of know it, but I'm more into playing baseball or basketball or something.

I'm talking like I'm American because I am american!

I don't know what you mean by sjw, but it seems in my case that it's someone who doesn't like anything they perceive as injustice and I don't have a problem with that. I am not like Hitler or ISIS or whatever, I don't want to kill anybody.

Well, actually, I did have a bad trauma in life with schools. I have been bullied before, but it was more about problems with socialization I needed because I am autistic. Insulting me because of a story I made when I probably just started writing seems like you guys are expecting me to write like an expert or a 12-year-old. Of course it's not going to be that complex, it wasn't a novel or anything, just a short story I'd write to pass the time.

By the way, I'm not saying nobody's got to make mistakes nor have their dark sides and there should be no villain, antagonist, conflict or whatever.

Grow a pair so that you can kick me in it? Dude....please.... this is not a game. Why are you being so mean? You need to learn that not everyone has the same opinion as you and you can do you, I do me. You can like different things, just don't attack other people for trying to right a wrong or for saying violence should stop. You need to work on not attacking people for some crazy reason.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Apr 5, 2017 5:22 PM

Jun 2015
Because they're cool. It's fun to watch.
Apr 5, 2017 6:08 PM

Nov 2014
Cause a show with nothing but wimpy weak get bullied cry and roll up in a ball characters would be utter garbage and piss me (and most likely everybody else) off.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Apr 6, 2017 12:08 AM

Nov 2009
pinkarray said:
I don't know what you mean by sjw, but it seems in my case that it's someone who doesn't like anything they perceive as injustice and I don't have a problem with that. I am not like Hitler or ISIS or whatever, I don't want to kill anybody.

SJW (in theory) - somebody who spends a lot of time promoting social justice (that is, rights of women, minorities, disabled people and anybody else who is oppressed). Some interpretations claim these people are all talk and no action.
SJW (in practice) - anybody who holds a political position to the left of the speaker.

By the way, I am like Hitler or ISIS or whatever. It's just that there is no extremist organization that supports my views, so I can't join it and kill people. And that makes me even more unhappy, because I know there is nobody fighting for my rights and politicians oppress me freely.

pinkarray said:
Well, actually, I did have a bad trauma in life with schools. I have been bullied before, but it was more about problems with socialization I needed because I am autistic.

But these problems could be solved with violence! Just beat the bullies up, tear out their hearts, and smash their brains to be sure.
Or you can use civilized person's variant of violence - write an accusatory paper and have them sent to prison. (for some reason, the russian word "донос" does not have a good translation to English. Maybe because americans do not see it as a form of violence)
Apr 6, 2017 4:56 AM

Mar 2016
Because violence is an easy way of having conflict and conflict of some kind is integral to a decent story.
Apr 6, 2017 7:33 AM

Feb 2015
-Because violence creates conflict.
-Because violence leads to cool action scenes.
-Because violence may result in explosions, and explosions are awesome.

It's honestly not that complicated.

As for mean characters, they're good for setting up conflict. They create contrast with the nice guys. because having more variety in characters is better (as well as more realistic) than have everyone always be nice and calm to each other.
Apr 6, 2017 8:19 AM
Aug 2015
Because they give you the adrenaline(?)

I love evil main characaters like Lelouch (Code Geass), Tanya (Youjo Senki), Ciel (Kuroshitsuji), etc. because you could say that I'm bored by the 'good-good' MCs. Seeing the world with a different perspective is something interesting to watch for me.

I would prefer a story with evil (more preferably "pure" evil) MC that using everything and everyone they have as pawn to reach their goal more than a story about a knight defeating the evil boss, the evil confesses his reason, and the world in peace. The end.
Apr 6, 2017 8:24 AM

Mar 2015
Well if the character is violent for no apparent reason then I dislike them but if they're doing it behind a reasonable understandable reason then I like them for it. Not all violent characters are bad and not all non-violent characters are good.

yeehaw
Apr 6, 2017 8:30 AM

Oct 2016
Because you can't see that happen in real life alot. Thats probably why people find it interesting.
Apr 6, 2017 8:34 AM

Oct 2014
Well it is hard to explain really.

The short answer is that we as people are not that peacefull yet not that Bloodthirsty I guess.

As for bratty characters...... kinda the same answers.

Even though most of us don't want to grab a gun irl, we kinda do that in games if enables us.

It is all just personal preferences I guess.
Apr 6, 2017 8:38 AM

May 2014
I'm gonna take a crack at this.

A few reasons violent series appeal to people. Of course let's go ahead and acknowledge the edgy teenager in the room who's obsessed with anything to contradict society. But there are various other reasons, people like seeing things in media that they don't get to see in their dull everyday lives, whether it be action, a heartgripping romance, or just the funniest sequence of events. People like seeing spectacles. People like seeing conflict and competition, whether this be a hero fighting a villain, a sports match, or any other journey. Violence can add a tone of risk and tension that makes every action feel that much more important. People like seeing shitty people have bad things happen to them. Violence is a way to convey your dedication to your ideals when words won't work. In storytelling, death and injury can add an element of unpredictability if used well.

Mean characters exist because mean people exist, and people generally like to see characters as believably people, even if they are larger than life. Why people like them, varies on the person, series, and situation.
Apr 6, 2017 8:40 AM

Jan 2017
Because they are more realistic and relateable unlike those pussies like Shinji.
Apr 6, 2017 10:25 AM

Jun 2011
TheJaceX said:

A few reasons violent series appeal to people. Of course let's go ahead and acknowledge the edgy teenager in the room who's obsessed with anything to contradict society. But there are various other reasons, people like seeing things in media that they don't get to see in their dull everyday lives, whether it be action, a heartgripping romance, or just the funniest sequence of events. People like seeing spectacles. People like seeing conflict and competition, whether this be a hero fighting a villain, a sports match, or any other journey. Violence can add a tone of risk and tension that makes every action feel that much more important. People like seeing shitty people have bad things happen to them. Violence is a way to convey your dedication to your ideals when words won't work. In storytelling, death and injury can add an element of unpredictability if used well.

Mean characters exist because mean people exist, and people generally like to see characters as believably people, even if they are larger than life. Why people like them, varies on the person, series, and situation.
zumac said:
Because they are more realistic and relateable unlike those pussies like Shinji.

But movies can still be believable without having Shinji Poopikari-like characters and mean/bratty characters. They can still be believable with nice people because nice people exist.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Apr 6, 2017 10:46 AM

May 2014
pinkarray said:
TheJaceX said:

zumac said:

But movies can still be believable without having Shinji Poopikari-like characters and mean/bratty characters. They can still be believable with nice people because nice people exist.

Yes, they can. But if all movies/shows/games had only nice people it'd become unrealistic, now I'm not defending Eva specifically, just in general the world is full of assholes and whiners so our media should match.
Apr 6, 2017 10:53 AM

May 2016
Because it's something that you don't see everyday. To see violence is to be a man

Apr 6, 2017 11:26 AM

May 2016
Watching the mean, evil people get the shit beat out of them is fun because 9 times out of 10 they've done something that warrants it; that's why
Apr 6, 2017 8:28 PM
Dec 2014
My taste in fiction isn't really based on what I approve for in real life. Violence and "mean people" in fiction can be used to develop the stories, make you feel for the victims, make you want to root for the good guys etc. Some shows may be good without violence, but I don't think that violence automatically make a show bad.

Even liking something that is "gratuitously violent" isn't necessarily (and I suspect rarely is) an approval of real life violence. As to why people may like something gratuitously violent, it could be, for instance, be the novelty of it.

Personally, I would probably tire out with too much of anything. Watching "nice" soothing anime all the time will get as boring as watching a gore fest all the time. Now since I watch anime more to be entertained (stimulated, thrilled etc.) rather than simply relaxed, I will lean towards anime that are "eventful". And if every characters is nice to one another, it's not exactly going to be very eventful.

Maneki-Mew said:
But I actually like "light to middle grey" characters, who aren't the stereotype of the shiny white knight.
A friend had promised me that I will love that guy from Akatsuki no Yona. We will see. I don't know the anime yet. XD

Good recommendation in my opinion. I'd say middle grey for that one.
Apr 6, 2017 10:17 PM

Nov 2009
zumac said:

You say so, but Shinji is the guy who can use violence when the push comes to shove. For all his flaws, he is the guy who saved the world. At least until he was betrayed by NERV and turned to goo like everybody else.

AxBattler said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Good recommendation in my opinion. I'd say middle grey for that one.

Make it "obviously white" for me. Just don't take away violence from them. There is peace at the end of fighting.
Nanoha shows how it can be done.
Apr 7, 2017 4:51 AM
Dec 2015
violence make anime worth the while to watch and at times give suspense which i love!!!!
Apr 7, 2017 9:08 AM
Feb 2017
violence in fiction doesn't hurt anybody so theres no harm in liking them. there are anime with mostly good cast or/and good mc and there are anime with mostly evil cast or/and evil mc. Both can be fun to watch if done right. all kinds of people exist in real life, from kindest to most evil and everything inbetween. so a character can be whatever in that spectrum.

oh and just wondering, what does NGE stand for?
Apr 7, 2017 9:20 AM

May 2015
Violent characters often seem strong enough to go against society's conventions and pave their own way, not caring who they hurt. It's the physical manifestion of Ubermensch, strength not as value-creating inside you but as forcing it on the world. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could just take what we wanted?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 7, 2017 9:25 AM

Jun 2011
Yarahime said:
violence in fiction doesn't hurt anybody so theres no harm in liking them. there are anime with mostly good cast or/and good mc and there are anime with mostly evil cast or/and evil mc. Both can be fun to watch if done right. all kinds of people exist in real life, from kindest to most evil and everything inbetween. so a character can be whatever in that spectrum.

oh and just wondering, what does NGE stand for?

It stands for Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Apr 8, 2017 4:39 AM

Jun 2015
pinkarray said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

Says the person who gave Cowboy Bebop a five. Probably not enough violence for you, eh??

I hope you're just playing around because it's not like I completely oblivious to wrestling, I just don't watch much tv or video games of it. I do kind of know it, but I'm more into playing baseball or basketball or something.

I'm talking like I'm American because I am american!

Well, actually, I did have a bad trauma in life with schools. I have been bullied before, but it was more about problems with socialization I needed because I am autistic. Insulting me because of a story I made when I probably just started writing seems like you guys are expecting me to write like an expert or a 12-year-old. Of course it's not going to be that complex, it wasn't a novel or anything, just a short story I'd write to pass the time.

By the way, I'm not saying nobody's got to make mistakes nor have their dark sides and there should be no villain, antagonist, conflict or whatever.

Grow a pair so that you can kick me in it? Dude....please.... this is not a game. Why are you being so mean? You need to learn that not everyone has the same opinion as you and you can do you, I do me. You can like different things, just don't attack other people for trying to right a wrong or for saying violence should stop. You need to work on not attacking people for some crazy reason.
I havent even watched bebop, it was like 5 eps on tv on a weekend rerun with space dandy, so yeah I rated it only a FIVE but its also dropped and probably the highest rated dropped series in M. A. L.

Now, you cant walk around callin yerself a retard AND sjw and not expect to get attacked. bitch....please.... this is not a game.

im tryn to teach you a lesson, if you take off those rosetinted glasses n getoff your facebook circlejerk of ppl telling you how special you are, its a bad world in here, welcome to the internet.
Mell8 said:
Because it's something that you don't see everyday. To see violence is to be a man
Apr 8, 2017 6:09 AM

Sep 2014
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Because we humans are foolish creatures who yearn for violence and conflict. Be it on screen or in real life, almost everyone has violent thoughts from time to time. Maybe that's the reason people like violence and mean characters.

(Going off topic but, maybe this is the reason World Peace is an impossible thing)

Kinda agree with that...Everything lives and evolves in permanent conflicts.
Apr 8, 2017 6:13 AM

Aug 2016
because people are masochists ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 8, 2017 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
Not all mean characters are bad. Revy isn't kind but she is still fucking awesome and badass. We have opinions and different views to things. For example,in my opinion I hate this character called Ouka Ootori because she is too standoffish and she hates every group of these people because one of these people killed her family.
removed-userApr 8, 2017 6:22 AM
Apr 8, 2017 3:12 PM

Feb 2016
I'm not a big fan of extreme violence.If a character is really well written I don't care if he/she is mean.Still mean characters are really badass sometimes and a lot of people like strong characters.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Apr 10, 2017 12:51 AM
Jul 2018
Villains (if done correctly and not horribly executed, or rife with a neverending swell of potential) are more interesting than goody goods. To some extent. I mean, anti heroes exist too.
Apr 10, 2017 1:48 AM

May 2015
spuukiebuugi said:
Villains (if done correctly and not horribly executed, or rife with a neverending swell of potential) are more interesting than goody goods. To some extent. I mean, anti heroes exist too.

I don't think villains have to be more interesting. They're in generally more interesting since they have an inner drive and create the conflict, whereas the hero mostly solves it. He's a more reacting subject, thus less interesting.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

55 by Trezeguett »»
54 seconds ago

» How far would you go to defend your Waifu?

Dragevard - 7 minutes ago

0 by Dragevard »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by jieanteater »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

60 by FanofAction »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 8 hours ago

19 by SgtBateMan »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.