Forum Settings
Forums
Horimiya
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 4, 2017 3:34 AM
Sep 2011
Someone said this was a good romance manga and it has a very high score here so I kept reading (up to chap 40 atm). Well I have to say this is a good manga if you like slice of life stuff, but any guy with a little bit of testosterone left in him should probably read something else. I mean when you read a manga and:

- There are more chibi drawings than actual drawings.
- The guys are as skinny and as pretty as the girls. They also seem to have a lot of "intimate" moments with each other.
- Any "drama" that pops up gets solved quickly, usually in too convenient ways. (three guys tried to mess with Miya's friend, he stared at them and they just ran away!. In real life there would have been a fight and Miya would've got his ass whooped because it was 3v1).
- Adults are way too cool and supportive. That Hori's dad?!
- The next chapter seems to just ignore whatever happened in the last one.
- The fanbase. Some of the comments I've read:
+ KYYY-FREAKIN-AHHH!!! DAMN IT THEY'RE SOOOOOOOOO FREAKIN CUTE!!! ♥ (lol sr :v) (recmt)
+ waahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.kyahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..im like a super fan girl to screammmm.kekekeke
+ So Cute*Cough Cough Too Cute...Ugh...Err.. *Dies
+ And I'm still single...
+ I'll probably never be in a relationship like this...

I suppose it's my fault for reading a manga not written for me, but please make a tag that says something about who's supposed to read this. "Shonen" is just ... inaccurate.
Apr 4, 2017 3:41 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah because "opinions" dude. Im guy and i like shoujo, slice of life and romance...

...but also i like stuff like Kuroinu, Taimanin asagi. Now go and judge me.

btw you have Prison School in favorites, now this is telling me something of your "testosterone" in you lol. But i don't judge M, if you like people stepping on you it's your business.
Apr 8, 2017 1:44 AM

Mar 2012
Can you tell what my gender is based in my favorites? I think not...
Apr 18, 2017 4:04 PM
Jun 2015
So you are assuming our gender??????

But on serious note, this manga starts of as how shonen love story, so it's technically shonen. But as the time goes, this manga has more about SoL and comedy, less the so called romance, using shoujo material to attract people (BL stuffs, etc)

For me, I classify this manga as shoujo the moment we met. The drawing, the boy's attitude, the faces, those are shoujo creation. So I have no problem having myself reading shoujo, only and if only the story is good. Not some weird sparkle man who tries to rape MC woman at their first sight, which makes woman MC fall in love even more. I hate those troupe

I'm on the same boat as you, but only because they don't really have the same amount of lit as they were in the first tens of chaps. But hey, at least you had a good time right?
Saiz-Apr 18, 2017 4:08 PM
Apr 21, 2017 4:28 PM

Jul 2013
I agree that the tag Shounen feels a bit off, but the rest is all due to your own preference. The enjoyment I get from reading the series offsets all 'negative story/character' characteristics that you point out. The art style is always a preference, and might differ within genres just as much as it does between different genres.

Apr 21, 2017 8:44 PM
Jul 2018
The only thing that differentiates good art from bad art is the shounen tag. Most of the shoujo manga have that drawing style that repulses me away. So keep that shounen tag there. I read Horimiya it easily went in my top 10 manga read.

Although, I'm a crazy fan of shounen. But I cannot deny that Horimiya is good and I like it. Romance is not a genre watched by female only you know.
Apr 26, 2017 2:17 AM

Nov 2012
Agreed with topic starter, although this is a really good romantic manga. But starting around from the 40th Chapter this manga gets a lot of fan service for girls.
So this is actually not shōnen (in terms of typical features of shonen genre) The shonen tag is unnecessary here, although I don't think it's pure shojo, so shojo tag unnecessary too.
May 7, 2017 2:03 PM
Nov 2016
Monthly Ganagn Fantasy is known as a magazine that features very "feminine" Shounen stories. Like Black Butler, or Pandora Hearts. Best thing I could say is this, they try to get as much multiple demographic appeal as possible, hence the shoujo-ish characters. They want to attract a female audience to their magazine, so like other GFantasy titles, they add lots of bishounen and a strong emotional narrative. Basically like how Shounen Jump added Reborn! by Akira Amano, to attract more girls to jump. Females have control of the manga industry, and male-oriented entertainment is more appealing normally anyways.
Going through Tumblr...The dark side of humanity.
May 11, 2017 6:55 AM

Mar 2015
i've already read far more girlish shounen titles than this...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 27, 2017 5:35 PM

Sep 2016
I totally agree! I mean this got so boring after chapter 25 or something. Most chapters after that is just them talking with Hori's dad, how do 'guys' enjoy that!? I guess I could understand girls liking cute couples but this is supposed to be shounen!
I'm surprised at how many people liking this but I guess everyone has different taste.

🔥You're looking at someone🔥

🔥Who is superior to you🔥

🔥You have my permission to🔥

🔥Bask in my glow🔥

Jul 27, 2017 5:37 PM

Mar 2015
Pretty close minded if you agree on categorizing things based on gender. I know a lot of boys who enjoy this manga not all people are like you.

yeehaw
Jul 27, 2017 8:32 PM
May 2017
meh, im a guy and i enjoyed horimiya, don't understand what y'all ranting about

Aug 1, 2017 10:03 PM
Dec 2016
I'm a dude and this is my favorite manga ever
Aug 2, 2017 1:03 AM

Mar 2015
HistoricGamer46 said:
I totally agree! I mean this got so boring after chapter 25 or something. Most chapters after that is just them talking with Hori's dad, how do 'guys' enjoy that!? I guess I could understand girls liking cute couples but this is supposed to be shounen!
I'm surprised at how many people liking this but I guess everyone has different taste.

> shounen is just demgraphic...
> it's still funny...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 2, 2017 1:11 AM

Jul 2012
Actually, I think the art style is very shounen. Shounen and shoujo drama both get solved easily.
Aug 8, 2017 4:36 AM

Oct 2013
I'm a guy and I love romance/shoujo anime and manga. This one is amazing, just a little disappointed they don't show kissing much
Aug 8, 2017 5:02 AM

Feb 2016
The manga seems pretty solid to me. (Guy here) Haven't read the entirety though, only like half of what's currently out. (If I remember correctly I'm at like 52/80 something [what's publicly available. Might be more officially released that hasn't hit yet. Idk.] )

Don't think a tag that makes a assumption like so would be all that ideal. That's essentially assuming like all men hate romance and all women love it so you put that tag on there. But that'd be a huge lie...

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Aug 8, 2017 9:50 AM

Apr 2014
Lol another target for the Anti Sexist Society to take down
Aug 8, 2017 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
it's amazing how much i do not care m8

More topics from this board

» Horimiya chapter amount

Volctra - Dec 15, 2023

2 by Volctra »»
Dec 15, 2023 5:52 AM

Poll: » Horimiya Chapter 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2013

22 by DENISE_DARDEN »»
Nov 29, 2023 2:01 PM

Poll: » Horimiya Chapter 44 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2014

22 by Vhailor »»
Sep 29, 2023 2:16 PM

Poll: » Horimiya Chapter 41 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2014

16 by Vhailor »»
Sep 29, 2023 9:41 AM

Poll: » Horimiya Chapter 2 Discussion

Insidious - Sep 13, 2012

23 by OnigirisBasket »»
Sep 25, 2023 5:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.