Forum Settings
Forums

April 2017 - Yunagi no Machi Sakura no Kuni (Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms)

New
Apr 3, 2017 12:14 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Yunagi no Machi Sakura no Kuni (Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms)

Part 1: Hiroshima, 1955. Ten years after the city was consumed by a scorching flash of light, a woman's soul is still deeply shaken by the earth-shattering explosion that devastated her home and changed her life forever...
A family from Hiroshima struggles to come to terms with their survival of the atomic bombing of their city. The protagonist is Minami Hirano, about 20 years of age.

Part 2: Set some decades later, the niece of Minami Hirano is bewildered by her father's mysterious disappearances. She and a friend follow him to discover what he is doing.

The main theme of this is historic manga concerns the question what impact the war and the atomic bombing had on the most vulnerable. Fumiyo Kôno examines this question in her outstanding book—an award-winning, widely-discussed masterpiece!

--------------------------
Read: Here

This was reader's choice. You guys helped pick this one. Make a suggestion for May's Hidden Gem here.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 4, 2017 8:57 AM

Mar 2008
What can I say?
I have this, and for me is weak.
It was always weak and pointless, then after I read other works for this mangaka years later I was blown away! This little manga here is a joke compared with her others.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Suggest a Hidden Gem of the Month! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Brand - May 2, 2017

181 by Mr_Libra »»
Apr 8, 10:06 AM

» April 2024 - Believers

Brand - Apr 3

0 by Brand »»
Apr 3, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - April 2024

Brand - Mar 17

0 by Brand »»
Mar 17, 7:24 AM

» March 2024 - Isabella Bird in Wonderland: Unbeaten Tracks in Japan

Brand - Mar 2

0 by Brand »»
Mar 2, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - February 2024

Brand - Jan 16

0 by Brand »»
Jan 16, 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.