Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 3, 2017 6:20 PM

May 2011
It's different, it doesn't have pretty colors and sharp animation. No good! back to Hero no Macadamia huurr duuurr

Well, it's nice we get a heterodox looking product, for a change. I don't necessarily envision anime horror with bucketloads of 3dg3 gore set in high school...

Dread mostly stems from unfathomable situations. What is unknown to science and still creeping around is the most frightening. I think this is the aim SnYZ is going for; to unsettle rather than throw guts and blood in our face. I won't say point blank that it's 100% successful at what it attempts to do, but it goes for an interesting expository approach, using pop-up book animation and pulp magazine visuals. Art-style has this choppy, jagged, cardboard aspect to it which makes it look like our own mind inaccurately translated it, as the story unfolds. As for the narration, well it's shit. The seiyuu's voice by itself is fine, but the delivery is boring and monotous. Fine storytelling has the speaker modulate his voice, change tones and take dramatic pauses at the right moments to favor immersion. Also, the story's kinda nondescript because of insufficient exposition. 4 minutes is definitely too short to emotionally involve vierwership.

That's about it;
Underwheming, but not without potential.
sorceryApr 3, 2017 6:23 PM
Apr 3, 2017 9:01 PM

Mar 2016
"Horror" lul

It reminds me of those Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books from my childhood, except, well, not scary. Spaceships? Really? Who thought Alien Butt Probing would make a good pilot for something billing itself as spooky?

I'll keep watching because it's short and has potential but if it doesn't get better within the next few episodes I'm out.

artist | doofus | joiner (but not finisher) of challenges
Apr 4, 2017 1:19 AM
Jan 2016
I liked the narration and the art style it fits really well the atmosphere of the anime
I didn't like the story It wasn't even scary I find it weird but I will continue watching it hoping that the story will get better
The ending song is great to listen to
Apr 4, 2017 2:42 AM

Jan 2011
Yami Shibai with a different art style, and from the looks of this episode not the good Yami Shibai.
Apr 4, 2017 3:24 AM
Mar 2016
The art style was really good, but I must say I just cracked up, just hilarious.
Apr 4, 2017 3:45 AM

Jan 2013
Well... I don't know how to feel about this but it's only the beginning. I'll wait for more eps.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Apr 4, 2017 7:10 AM
Jan 2014
The Story can be improved but really like the style of art they've used, for me this is still the first episode, i'll continue to watch it and see if the term "don't judge the book by it's cover" applies to this anime :D
Apr 4, 2017 8:08 AM

May 2016
Im gonna watch it but still its 1/10 for now.
Apr 4, 2017 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
I like the style. It's like a drawn creepy pasta. Altough, the first story was a little bit cringy, because the evil aliens, who will kidnap you, are overdone. Not the best choice for a pilot episode.
But it's just 4 minutes long and therefore I will continue watching it. Maybe the other stories are better and I like the creepy pasta-style from the narroter and the art.
Apr 4, 2017 10:34 AM
Feb 2016
This looks like a rip off of Yami Shibai with the similar story telling method and animation style. Yami Shibai is (in my opinion) a lot better and I highly recommend it if you want something like this but actually kind of creepy.
Apr 4, 2017 1:48 PM

Oct 2015
Not surprised this is from the same people who did Yamishibai considering how lackluster it was. If each episode is a new story then I don't expect this to improve.
Apr 4, 2017 5:16 PM

Aug 2012
Its like the Japanese anime version of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.
Apr 4, 2017 5:57 PM

May 2011
Maneki-Mew said:
I like the style. It's like a drawn creepy pasta. Altough, the first story was a little bit cringy, because the evil aliens, who will kidnap you, are overdone. Not the best choice for a pilot episode.
But it's just 4 minutes long and therefore I will continue watching it. Maybe the other stories are better and I like the creepy pasta-style from the narroter and the art.

You, miss, are the closest to truth. It's exactly trying to be an anthology compiling "creepypasta" of sort, from what I have seen. Where I disagree with you is about the overdone character of a story being of importance. What matters is the build up leading to final revelation. Firstly, it requires proper exposition, in terms of characterization and narration. And also a glazing of customization added to the core of the storyline. What matters is the way plot is spiced up... So that the formula has a desired effect on the spectator.

People who jeer at the episode because aliens are involved are morons. They look at the outcome instead of how the episode is built.
They miss the point of what makes horror fantasy relevant.
sorceryApr 4, 2017 6:02 PM
Apr 5, 2017 2:53 AM

Oct 2014
Anime is a shit but ed is great. Overall 2/5
Apr 5, 2017 7:03 AM

Dec 2015
iridi said:
Who thought Alien Butt Probing would make a good pilot for something billing itself as spooky?

I. I found Fire in the sky was at times able to be "spooky". This kind of experience is actually supposed to be. I don't know how the situation wouldn't be. It's just badly told (unless it's because I'm not japanese and don't know their way of telling).

@sorcery Sorry, with "told", I meant in the "speaking" meaning.
And thank you for the better redaction (opposed to mine).
Rei_IIIApr 5, 2017 10:08 AM
Apr 5, 2017 9:22 AM

May 2011
Rei366 said:
iridi said:
Who thought Alien Butt Probing would make a good pilot for something billing itself as spooky?

I. I found Fire in the sky was at times able to be "spooky". This kind of experience is actually supposed to be. I don't know how the situation wouldn't be. It's just badly told (unless it's because I'm not japanese and don't know their way of telling).

It's not that it's badly told. The episode isn't confusing at all. The problem is that the plot is insufficiently exposed. And the narration is delivered poorly, like the seiyuu just read a text without conviction. The length is a big problem, I think. It'd benefit from at least a 10 minutes format, dedicate more time to mislead spectator with a couple of red herrings or build up the intrigue. It also needs more time for a proper conclusion.

Indeed, people makes fun of abductees with their unfunny anal probe joke, and it's because the aftermath in this episode leaves too much to imagination. Would have been great to get a little insight of what the aliens are researching about, not saying too much so that it's discussed in detail afterwards.

Too much vagueness =\= good mystery
Apr 5, 2017 10:57 AM

Jul 2016
It should have been scary, right? Right?! Because I cringed and laughed and I really do hope it will have better stories in the future...
Apr 5, 2017 3:52 PM

Jun 2014
This is AOTS.

.. Uhhhhhh I think?.
Apr 5, 2017 6:17 PM
Jun 2015
When the UFO appear, i can't help but tsukkomi instantly......... and after that i just think about the H scene happening when they inspect them, what the heck~
Apr 5, 2017 7:37 PM

Jul 2016
I find it kind of... too simple... in my opinion I expected something more "disturbing". Overall i liked the art style and the narrator voice.
Apr 6, 2017 1:06 AM

Oct 2008
Is this supposed to be Kagewani v2???
everything was creepy!
3/5.

Apr 6, 2017 6:28 AM

Jun 2011
I enjoyed it, it has an interesting style to it! ^^ Definitely getting Yami Shibai vibes from it, and the narration was great at setting the scene! :D
Apr 6, 2017 6:41 AM

Jul 2013
The build up is alright. At the very least, the scary vibe is there... until the UFO comes in and I can't take it seriously anymore.
Apr 6, 2017 11:18 AM
Jan 2017
This was certainly interesting. Didn't expect a narrated story with an art style like this. And, I didn't really expect it to be 5 minutes. I didn't know much about what I was getting into, I just saw "supernatural" and I was down for it.

I just hope all the episodes aren't exactly like this. Maybe switch up the art style.
Apr 6, 2017 11:33 AM

Feb 2013
Its like they dont even try to be scary anymore...dont know why i always expect things from these kind of shows

Apr 6, 2017 1:49 PM

May 2014
What was that XD..
Apr 6, 2017 11:15 PM
Jan 2017
I like the art style of the show, but the story was kind of boring. I hope the next episode will be more entertaining.
Apr 7, 2017 10:48 AM

Aug 2015
worse than yami shibai
Apr 7, 2017 7:49 PM

Oct 2011
I like it - it's doing what the last season of Yami Shibai failed to do.
pretty boys
Apr 8, 2017 10:09 AM

Jan 2017
the first ep wasnt scary at all, the art style was interesting but i'm not sure how will it hold up in the long run
im gay
Apr 8, 2017 11:24 AM

May 2011
To have it "Being Scary" is something too much to expect from this. It's more about getting a kick with the creepy atmosphere, which would be more successful if character development was defined enough to allow us to relate to their case. Doing this within 4 minutes length is obviously going to be difficult, but I am still curious to see how the guys of ILCA are going to handle this challenge.

So far, this relatively unknown studio is still poking around to find its identity, so I suggest you guys not go too hard on them as long as they're not shown squandering big potential.

The question in my mind then: how SnYZ is going to end like? A failed experiment or a decent collection of animated creepypasta?
Apr 10, 2017 2:17 PM

Oct 2014
Are you fucking kidding me? I waited for a proper horror anime and I get this. Seriously!? I can't believe this. They don't even fucking try anymore! Yami Shibai was way better than this I'm not even gonna bother adding this to my list.
Apr 11, 2017 4:27 PM

Apr 2009
I wasn't expecting it to be little shorts. Honestly when I saw it was 5 minutes long I thought "The animation must be pretty good quality." Hmmm...

Decent designs on the characters, the story was very meh, the wife's moaning was funny in a dumb kind of way.

I'm kind of tempted to drop it, but since it's so short I guess I can force myself through the rest.
Apr 12, 2017 9:44 PM

Feb 2015
the wife was hot atleast
SEND ME DA FRIEND REQUEST AND COMMENT ON MY PROFILE <33

I LOVE YUKINO YUKINOSHITA, CHITOGE AND YUNO GASAI.. they changed my life.. every night b4 sleeping i think about them and pray that i meet a yukino/chitoge/yuno irl <33
i will stay virgin for them <33 i know they are out there and i will meet them <33 i love u yukino bbb
Apr 15, 2017 4:40 AM

Feb 2012
The wife sounded like she worked as a prostitute ew
Apr 30, 2017 3:17 PM

Jun 2013
Its a nice idea and the story seemed pretty intersting, but this felt so lazily made.
May 10, 2017 6:20 AM

Aug 2012
Not really surprised that the only staff attached to this work is a director for the season season of Yami Shibai, this had the same kind of bland carefree weightless approach to horror that that season happened. I feel like the aesthetic here is going to provide a big problem for future episodes, it only really worked with the silhouette, though the pictures on the video makes it seem like the art style will shift drastically, which is pretty awesome if that's the case. Further distinguishing stories by distinct visual choices is A-Ok in my book, I just don't think it worked here in this episodes advantage. But the story being lame doesn't help.

On the positives, I liked the ED theme and the narrator here was great. He possess a great voice for horror, hopefully he'll get to use it on a worthwhile piece here (though I doubt it).
Jun 24, 2017 9:50 AM

Jun 2017
Makuro said:
Kannei said:
dont know what too think of this dont had any emotion watching this at all not scary not funny just nothing at all

Exactly me while watching it
psychedelic_bee said:
I'll watch it simply for it's uniqueness and the fact it has promise, but I'm really not expecting much more than what we got this episode.

these. at least it is only 4 minutes,so i can watch it simply out of curiousity about each episode without becoming really bored. was quite disappointed with what we got though.
Oct 7, 2017 9:56 PM

Jun 2011
The first half had great atmosphere, but the alien revelation is just.. lame.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 24, 2020 12:32 AM

Aug 2014
Meme
Oct 1, 2022 10:17 PM

Feb 2010
I’m surprised at the bad comments. I really liked it. The art isn’t the best but I think that really adds to it being creepy. It’s like a story book. I found the story to be quite creepy. Maybe I’m thinking about it too much and other people aren’t but can you imagine being in that situation? Being trapped like that knowing you will be experimented on and there absolutely nothing you can do about it. That’s definitely freaky.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sekai no Yami Zukan Episode 13 Discussion

Ranxomare - Jun 25, 2017

35 by bushman66 »»
Nov 12, 2022 5:01 PM

Poll: » Sekai no Yami Zukan Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

el_morris - May 14, 2017

58 by Konekoneko »»
Oct 2, 2022 1:21 PM

Poll: » Sekai no Yami Zukan Episode 8 Discussion

JarneW - May 21, 2017

31 by Janethan23 »»
Sep 26, 2022 7:55 PM

Poll: » Sekai no Yami Zukan Episode 3 Discussion

el_morris - Apr 16, 2017

36 by Golanul »»
Apr 8, 2022 7:28 AM

Poll: » Sekai no Yami Zukan Episode 11 Discussion

ReaperCreeper - Jun 18, 2017

17 by Nordaviento »»
Jan 6, 2021 7:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.